Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Also it's an entirely different kind of show and performance, but I highly recommend that people check out It's a Sin from RTD, which was the best television show made in 2021. NPH plays a small but major role and he's fantastic in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I love that we got a Last of the Time Lords callback with the female hand picking up the gold tooth. :allears:

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
Still thinking about "well that's alright then"

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Infinitum posted:

Yeah, feeling like a real closure on Doctor Who (2005) to make way for the soft reboot.

So.. how does this work now? Does 14 eventually regenerate into 15, and we got 15 early? Or can 14 regenerate into new forms? Does 14 stop regenerating cause he's split off? Will Tennant finally stop leaving extra copies/body parts of himself about?

RTD back babyyyyy

I really liked the episode, but yeah, I’m confused what this means moving forward. In the spoiler thread we knew about the bi-regeneration thing, but not the two Tardis part. And I kind of assumed the 14th Doctor would somehow lose his Timelord-ness, like the Rose Doctor, but nope, he’s 100% The Doctor, with a Tardis he’s clearly using and everything. That had some interesting implications moving forward.

Great for this episode, though.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Dec 9, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

SiKboy posted:

lingering feeling of "well, that means every 21st century Earth is Invaded plotline will have to explain why 14 didnt stop it and 15 has to".

No more than they have to explain why past Doctors aren't all showing up to help one another with this crisis or that. Why didn't 19 show up to help stop the flux since he friggin hates when he sees a massive galactic destruction on his watch. Doctors all have infinite off screen adventures and they can criss cross whenever they're written to.

Clara also doesn't need to be explicitly excluded for every adventure with a doctor before she stopped being tangled in doctor time stream.

Gotta be a mess of others who have no immutable reason they can't show up at any given point for every given doctor.

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE

Hunter Leopardson posted:

Enjoyable enough except for the cringey lipsyncing music scene. One RTDism I hoped would be left behind

Counterpoint, I was crying with laughter, it was so extremely campy and energetic. Him just pinging Kate off the wall, absolute howls. It was great, more of that please!

Also hilarious, The Master getting another Flash Gordon "?" ending. It makes NO SENSE WHATSOEVER and it's the best, it really is.

Boy, I hope Rusty can keep this unhinged energy going for the next two series at least.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

I love that we got a Last of the Time Lords callback with the female hand picking up the gold tooth. :allears:

Rusty very bluntly going "welp, I'm having the Master back in play". And as I said during the episode, that one little line from the Toymaker about him turning the Doctor's past 'into a jigsaw' is ambiguous enough that it doesn't outright throw the Timeless Child stuff out but it also lets RTD or any other showrunner ignore it or ditch it if they want too.

Edit: And we're dropping hints for the arc for Ncuti's first season (or maybe first couple?) with the Toymaker seeming scared of some unnamed figure as well.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Zohar posted:

Still thinking about "well that's alright then"

Loved his explanation for Clara.

"She got killed.... by a bird!"

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I forgot we had a spoiler thread :v:

MuddyFunster posted:

Also hilarious, The Master getting another Flash Gordon "?" ending. It makes NO SENSE WHATSOEVER and it's the best, it really is.

Wondering if that was Missy at the end picking up the tooth.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Donna asking if it's all true and Doctor unwilling to answer.

I like how this bi generation thing let's them acknowledge and keep the doctors baggage, but starts us off with a new doctor unburdened by X messy decades of history and dangling threads.

Even 10 was heavily defined by what came before I'd met him, so I'm excited to have a cleaner slate. Ncuti is already fantastic Doctor, can't wait to see more. The little angry teeth-mouth gesture idk what it's called when he was reacting to some poo poo toymaker said, really nice little touch.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 9, 2023

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Infinitum posted:

I forgot we had a spoiler thread :v:

Wondering if that was Missy at the end picking up the tooth.

We can only hope.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

thrawn527 posted:

I really liked the episode, but yeah, I’m confused what this means moving forward. In the spoiler thread we knew about the bi-regeneration thing, but not the two Tardis part. And I kind of assumed the 14th Doctor would somehow lose his Timelord-ness, like the Rose Doctor, but nope, he’s 100% The Doctor. That had some interesting implications moving forward

We did know about the 2nd TARDIS in the leak/spoilers

quote:

Together, they manage to win the game and The Fourteenth’s prize was to banish The Toymaker from existence. After the game, the Fourteenth Doctor, the Fifteenth Doctor, Donna, and Mel discuss the consequences of their adventures mentioning Sarah Jane, Adric, River Song. Donna tells the Doctors why don’t they just take a break and enjoy the simpler life. That’s when the Fifteenth Doctor remembers he hasn’t said what his prize would be. A second TARDIS!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Bi-generation being a myth that turned out real makes me think of the Doctor having just invoked superstition at the edge of the universe last episode. Did he make superstitions and myths start to become real?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

I also liked that by picking the 3 Moffat companions, they had the sort of escalation of how lame the Doctor's explanations for how they're OK sound. Amy: Died of old age, not in her native time, but seems fine, tbh. Clara : Forever in her last second of life, hmm....; Bill: Cyberman, then dead, but 'her consciousness survives', sounding pretty dicey there Doc.

(I actually like Bill and her gf going off and being Alex Mack Space Lesbians together but it definitely sounds like a bad excuse from the Doctor)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm a little surprised that of all the name drops, the most obvious wasn't dropped: Fenric. Like, he's another god-like entity the Doctor played a game with and won, and it was even the same Doctor that Mel travelled with, and that RTD wrote his earliest Who stuff for.

I wonder if that was deliberate...

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

Jerusalem posted:

That was a real ‘can you believe this poo poo??’ moment. 😄

Check that first shot of the Doctor in the Christmas trailer. Spinning around in a club wearing a floaty skirt. :2monocle:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

jisforjosh posted:

We did know about the 2nd TARDIS in the leak/spoilers

Oh. I don’t know how I missed that part. My mistake.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

We can only hope.

Missy killing the Master, having a legit heel-face turn, and then having the Master kill her anyway was always such a great bit of Who.

I love Dhawan, I want to see him face off against 15, but I'd love to have Missy back again.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MikeJF posted:

Bi-generation being a myth that turned out real makes me think of the Doctor having just invoked superstition at the edge of the universe last episode. Did he make superstitions and myths start to become real?

Based on 15 saying,"The state of play is still in effect" yeah I get the sense that the Doctor accidentally inviting the Toymaker back into the universe lead to a breakdown in what was "impossible" allowing something like Bi-Generation and the creation of a second TARDIS to happen.

But also, it happened because it's Doctor Who and the impossible is always possible, and god bless RTD for it.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 9, 2023

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

that was stupid in parts but very good lol

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Also what is up with that random alien robot Unit had?

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Still crazy that all that info leaked so long ago. Sounded too mad to be real! I liked it more than I thought I would.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Infinitum posted:

RTD, that’s what is up.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Infinitum posted:

I mean, UNIT's always been about one step away from the MIB, so having alien operatives here and there makes sense.

Also loved that Russell knew he had to head off the nerds complaining about how Mel's on Earth.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Creature posted:

That was a real ‘can you believe this poo poo??’ moment. 😄

Check that first shot of the Doctor in the Christmas trailer. Spinning around in a club wearing a floaty skirt. :2monocle:

While Ncuti would have zero issue rocking a skirt, I am fairly certain that's a good ol' Scottish kilt.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

ncuti seems cool. glad of another openly scottish doctor too lol

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Infinitum posted:

Missy killing the Master, having a legit heel-face turn, and then having the Master kill her anyway was always such a great bit of Who.

I love Dhawan, I want to see him face off against 15, but I'd love to have Missy back again.

Maybe I'll turn out they actually bigenerated into both Missy and Dhawan so we can have them both back.

(That's a joke but come to think of it I could see them doing a plot where the Master bigenerates next, they could take one down the Missy redemption path and the other can still be mad evil)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Dec 9, 2023

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dongicus posted:

ncuti seems cool. glad of another openly scottish doctor too lol

I've said it a few times, it's very funny that Tennant's the only one who's not allowed to use the accent.

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE

Gaz-L posted:

Also loved that Russell knew he had to head off the nerds complaining about how Mel's on Earth.

The explanation of what happened to Glitz had me giggling. Perfect.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

While Ncuti would have zero issue rocking a skirt, I am fairly certain that's a good ol' Scottish kilt.

Yeah it's a kilt.

Gatwa is Scottish, dudes in his element.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Watching Unleashed, it didn't even occur to me that the Toymaker's line about "being used to warmer climes" to his customer at the start of the episode was intended as a racist comment because the guy was darker-skinned. RTD had some really interesting things to say around acknowledging how racist that initial depiction of the Celestial Toymaker was and how they wanted to correct that outdated portrayal but also acknowledge that the Toymaker himself is a nasty, evil thing that would see lines like that as just another kind of "game" to be played.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

Infinitum posted:

Setting up the big brainy knowing stuff character for the Unit spinoff show.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Infinitum posted:

They're trying to fill a very k-9 shaped hole in the organization.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Was also good to see a bit of male tenderness, which is oft times a rarity on screen. Doctor just needed a hug.

Looking forward to the internet misinterpreting that as something else.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wonder if (preview spoilers) the pirate ship and heroic leaps and stuff next episode is deliberate in the way that I'm getting the sense Fifteen is intended to be the Swashbuckling Doctor and they're trying to explicitly draw that association in his intro.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

MikeJF posted:

Considering what the leaks point to for the Christmas special, I'm assuming that myths becoming real is going to be a thread in Ncuti's first season

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I love the soft touchy 15th Doctor already. And based on him just having a good dance at the club, it looks like he’s going to be taking his own advice and learning to put some downtime into his life.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Gaz-L posted:

I've said it a few times, it's very funny that Tennant's the only one who's not allowed to use the accent.

I like to think they made him not do the accent just so they could have the joke later where he pretends to be Scottish.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I've been out is there a reason people tend to refer to him as Ncuti instead of Gatwa? Generally when taking about the others it's surname that's most commonly used but I see y'all saying Ncuti more often.

I suppose people tended to refer to Jodie Whittaker as Jodie too.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MikeJF posted:

I've been out is there a reason people tend to refer to him as Ncuti instead of Gatwa? Generally when taking about the others it's surname that's most commonly used but I see y'all saying Ncuti more often.

I've seen David/Tom/Colin/Sylvester/Matt used a lot for those (granted in the Bakers' case it's partly down to necessity for clarity)