Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I enjoyed rooting for Shohei while I could since I am now morally obligated to root for him, as well as every other Dodgers player, to fail miserably. Maybe they can fail before October this year and get ahead of schedule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
By the end of his contract, Ohtani will be closer to buying the Mariners than the Mariners were to paying him.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Ohtani is loving the Dodgers once his contract is up but why should he care

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

live with fruit posted:

It was nice liking Ohtani but now that he's going to become a billionaire at some point, that's over. Oh well.

dislike him for the right reason, playing for the Dodgers

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

hell is real and we are all in it

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

so what position does that dragon's den guy play?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

well at least Toronto can look forward to following the Maple Leafs

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Now tell us about the opt-outs

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Betts/Freeman/Ohtani top 3 in the lineup

Yikes

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

oh so it's luxury tax fuckery.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Ohtani is gonna be a boring old Dodger isn't he :smith:

:sigh:

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

maffew buildings posted:

dislike him for the right reason, playing for the Dodgers

It does undermine his "Aw shucks" personality.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

What on earth

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Dave Haters Vacate

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I personally will have the courage and conviction of character to root for the extremely cool team of Shohei Ohtani and Mookie Betts to have great success. I'm just a great person, I guess.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I thought MLB hated massive deferrals

Time for them to reject the contract

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Its Rinaldo posted:

By the end of his contract, Ohtani will be closer to buying the Mariners than the Mariners were to paying him.

This is legitimately an amazing post that made me nearly spit take in a very crowded bar.
Also holy gently caress Ohtani. At least my endless watching of him will be for a good team now I guess.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Can't say I'm surprised to hear that it's the Dodgers, but holy poo poo $700 million is bonkers

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It's cool and good that I will probably die of old age before the Dodgers stop sending checks to Ohtani

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Between Betts' bowling and Freeman's whole personality being built around his kid, the Dodgers have really built a superteam of superdorks.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Luckily he'll be in a market with no pressure or post season expectations

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Cubs need to outbid the Yankees for Yamamoto now

Also sign Belli

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Eric the Mauve posted:

Does opting out nullify the deferred salary? If so, no opt outs I'm sure

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

the year is 2060, we are once again celebrating Ohtani Day which has suppplanted Bonilla Day

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
nooooo ohtani how could you do this to me

so whats the backup plan shatkins?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Cubs need to outbid the Yankees for Yamamoto now

Also sign Belli

Cubs aren't signing anyone.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
This team is going to win 1000 games in the next decade and get bounced in the NLDS at least 7 times

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

None

https://twitter.com/alden_gonzalez/status/1733581759084896400?s=46&t=HFusjT2oQv6HMi13dmttrw

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I guess Angel fans don't hate the Dodgers the way Met fans hate the Yankees i've been told but i don't care. It's chickenshit behavior to go to the better team in the same city. I will be rooting for both Ohtani and the Dodgers to fail.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

I don’t get how purposeful luxury tax fuckery is allowed?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The most boring possible outcome but oh well, glad he got paid. Can't wait to see how the Dodgers manage to win 150 regular season games and still get routinely bounced out of the first round of the postseason.

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1733580223801704916

Deferrals count towards reducing AAV for luxury tax purposes? I thought they didn't, or is this something new with the current CBA?

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
im guessing toronto was never a serious option just leverage to get what he wanted from the dodgers.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
l, and I can’t emphasize this enough, mao

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
:smith: :smith: :smith: :smith: :smith:

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Didn’t like baseball anyway

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

I'm sure it's been discussed to death ITT but what an insane amount of money for a guy with two Tommy Johns, who's not a lock to ever pitch again, much less pitch like an ace

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Oof

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The Pussy Boss posted:

I'm sure it's been discussed to death ITT but what an insane amount of money for a guy with two Tommy Johns, who's not a lock to ever pitch again, much less pitch like an ace

money isn't real

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Pussy Boss posted:

He's worth so much more beyond baseball alone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Shohei’s deal is $220M more than lebron’s career earnings