Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Correct me if I'm wrong but even if he never pitches again isnt he still a transcendentally incredible hitter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I am ready

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
time to update the thread:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Sports Argument Stadium > MLB N/V 2023-24 Offseason: The 700 million dollar man (Wallet?)

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I hate everything. gently caress baseball. I will never again watch a baseball game.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I'm looking forward to 10 years of Magic tweets

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Fate Accomplice posted:

Shohei’s deal is $220M more than lebron’s career earnings

lmao

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

mdemone posted:

I HENCEFORTH RENOUNCE THE LOS ANGELES ANGELS OF ANAHEIM CALIFORNIA HAPPIEST GOD drat PLACE ON EARTH, gently caress OFF FOREVER

MAY THE CURSE OF THE SECOND BAMBINO LAST FOR A HUNDRED YEARS OR MORE

SOMEBODY FIND ME A loving GOAT

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

MJeff posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but even if he never pitches again isnt he still a transcendentally incredible hitter?

probably a decent outfielder too

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Tatsuta Age posted:

hell is real and we are all in it

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

mcmagic posted:

I guess Angel fans don't hate the Dodgers the way Met fans hate the Yankees i've been told but i don't care. It's chickenshit behavior to go to the better team in the same city. I will be rooting for both Ohtani and the Dodgers to fail.

I’d never begrudge a man for jumping ship to the Angels to somewhere more competitive that will pay him

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
can't believe it, Ohtani was a bad person this entire time

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

MJeff posted:

That's a bit much. He's a Hall of Fame caliber hitter, but he's not on a Pujols/Bonds level. A fair match for Ken Griffey Jr. as a hitter.

Especially taking marketing into account he is worth $70M a year just as a hitter, at least for the next few years.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

mdemone posted:

I hate everything. gently caress baseball. I will never again watch a baseball game.

50ish% chance this ends up being a hilarious shitshow and they never win anything.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

looking forward to the dodgers getting bounced out of the playoffs when ohtani gets struck out by "cool" kyle hendricks

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

MJeff posted:

prime Frank Thomas maybe?

He's a very, very, very good hitter and pitcher but the value comes from being both in one player.

I wonder what another inner circle, all-time great would get in a similar spot. Like if you can sign Willie Mays coming off his age 29 season with a career OPS+ of 158 and 60 bWAR, does he sniff a 10 year/$70 million AAV deal?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

mcmagic posted:

50ish% chance this ends up being a hilarious shitshow and they never win anything.

I don't even care. What's the loving point of any of it

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/joeyvotto/status/1733584280851202432?s=46

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

That's a bit much. He's a Hall of Fame caliber hitter, but he's not on a Pujols/Bonds level. A fair match for Ken Griffey Jr. as a hitter.

He's also a DH and not a Gold Glove centerfielder.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Can't wait to see the Blue Jays backup plan

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Jon Morosi please report for summary execution

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Penisaurus Sex posted:

I wonder what another inner circle, all-time great would get in a similar spot. Like if you can sign Willie Mays coming off his age 29 season with a career OPS+ of 158 and 60 bWAR, does he sniff a 10 year/$70 million AAV deal?

Soto's going to be 26 and isn't going to sniff that much money.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I'm going to log off and go cry

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Ugh

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

This team is going to win 1000 games in the next decade and get bounced in the NLDS at least 7 times

Every single time at the hands of the Cubs

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

live with fruit posted:

Soto's going to be 26 and isn't going to sniff that much money.

Soto isn't as good as Willie Mays dude wtf lol

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

live with fruit posted:

He's also a DH and not a Gold Glove centerfielder.

Well if he he weren't also a Hall of Fame caliber pitcher he would probably be a very good RF.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Tbh I’m glad this hosed over Toronto. Yet another addition to Vladdy’s snuff film

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

bees x1000 posted:

probably a decent outfielder too

I doubt Dodgers want to test his repaired arm gunning down folks at home

Cf Bryce Harper

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

mdemone posted:

I'm going to log off and go cry

I know this sucks and all but did you actually think the Angels had any chance of re-signing Ohtani

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
https://twitter.com/foolishbb/status/1733585817371615658?s=46&t=OxNS0oQRTXMDiN4qEfSnlQ

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

Penisaurus Sex posted:

prime Frank Thomas maybe?

He's a very, very, very good hitter and pitcher but the value comes from being both in one player.

If the rest of his career is the same, probably. That’s 96 more bWAR coming down the pipe including a 5 season period where he AVERAGED 10.4 bWAR a season (age 31-35).

Willie Mays was real good at baseball.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

and the Dodgers will make all of this back in Japanese merch sales

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Tatsuta Age posted:

Soto isn't as good as Willie Mays dude wtf lol

Ohtani also cleared Trout by over $200M. No one else in the history of baseball is getting this much money.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I know this sucks and all but did you actually think the Angels had any chance of re-signing Ohtani

Hope is a funny thing

(I wanted the Cubs or Jays)

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

ARod's first deal, at 10/252, is burned into my brain for life. It seemed impossible back then, like MLB was going to go bankrupt. Lol

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The cubs would've objectively been the best destination after staying with the Angels. Jays would've been fine. This is just gross.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I guess this increases the chances that the Blue Jays go hard on Yamamoto

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
He was going to sign for 10/$600m but they had to up their offer by $100m after Dave Roberts let it slip that they had a meeting

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

mcmagic posted:

The cubs would've objectively been the best destination after staying with the Angels. Jays would've been fine. This is just gross.

Rare mcmagic W

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
lol

$700MM goddamn

Just lol