Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

chird posted:

Things I thought amusing at the game awards:

- Everyone getting shood off quickly by very loud music
- Visionary/legendary/icon/etc Kojima turning up yet again
- Jordan Peele gushing over Kojima then Kojima saying something like "yeah we have a lot of other talented people on this, it's not just Peele btw"
- Weirdass Alan Wake 2 performance
- Bethesda running a "yeah congrats on the awards guys, Starfield was actually NOT poo poo i think you'll find" video ad

You forgot Return of Flute Man: Flute Harder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

it's very funny how kojima seems to have cut a motion capture test into a trailer and people are going wild over it

the strange phrase they say contains every english phoneme so it's like a calibration thing

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Missed the Jeff Keely Award Power Hour(s), I assume that Starfield swept and Todd give a long & humble speech, yeah? Are we back, Bethesdasisters?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

KazigluBey posted:

Missed the Jeff Keely Award Power Hour(s), I assume that Starfield swept and Todd give a long & humble speech, yeah? Are we back, Bethesdasisters?

Imagine you queued up 30 game trailers on Youtube, and then someone speed-reads lists of nominees and winners quickly over that. That was the Game Awards.

There was just an article where someone calculated the show was 3.5 hours long, and of that about 15 minutes was dedicated to actual award giving.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
How many minutes of gameplay footage

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Imagine you queued up 30 game trailers on Youtube, and then someone speed-reads lists of nominees and winners quickly over that. That was the Game Awards.

There was just an article where someone calculated the show was 3.5 hours long, and of that about 15 minutes was dedicated to actual award giving.

sounds like a better format than a regular awards show

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/1732967100644221429

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

repiv posted:

it's very funny how kojima seems to have cut a motion capture test into a trailer and people are going wild over it

the strange phrase they say contains every english phoneme so it's like a calibration thing

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvard_sentences are actually kind of neat, I got my mum to read a bunch for a show I did

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
ctually trex were made up of thousands of smaller dinosaurs forming a trex voltron kind of configuration

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
drat, I'm really pissed at Against The Storm right now. At the final boss, and I had to do one of three goals - either gather some ancient tablets, which I didn't find anywhere on the map, or do some trade route stuff, but at my current meta level I hadn't even unlocked trade routes yet, and the final goal was to keep human happiness above 35 for 5 minutes, which is a whammo because I didn't actually expect I needed to keep it that high so I didn't have any of the human specific food/ale to keep them happy. gently caress you, game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

You were doing the "final boss" without having played long enough to have unlocked trade routes, one of the very first unlocks available to you?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Jack Trades posted:

You were doing the "final boss" without having played long enough to have unlocked trade routes, one of the very first unlocks available to you?

Final boss of the run, I mean - I was level 3.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ymgve posted:

Final boss of the run, I mean - I was level 3.

Oh. You aren't required to complete the goals to win a run. You can fill the remaining reputation by raising any race happiness instead.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Jack Trades posted:

Oh. You aren't required to complete the goals to win a run. You can fill the remaining reputation by raising any race happiness instead.

I literally had a goal that said to keep humans at 35 and beavers at 30 for five minutes to get one of the three items needed to slot into the boss building. The reputation bar had a lock icon and filling it didn’t complete that level.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Jack Trades posted:

Alternatively, you could get Reputation Points through certain glade events, either from supply caches you find (those usually require tools which are kind of hard to come by) or some dangerous events.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

They're talking about the Sealed Forest biome, at the end of a world map cycle.
Reputation doesn't win you the game there.

But good news: The options you have there are always the same, do now you know and can be prepared better the next time.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

A less positive thing I will say about Control is that the DLC seems unnecessary. One of the game's biggest strengths is its tightly crafted and paced narrative, the extra missions mess with that and feel tacked on as a result. I'll finish this Foundation stuff because I have terminal gamer brain, but I can't say I'm feeling hypermotivated

e: also, the Foundation DLC is incredibly buggy and unstable compared to the base game, which ran almost perfectly for me. It keeps softlocking, and one time for no reason my entire screen went black, with just item outlines remaining visible.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Dec 9, 2023

Estel
May 4, 2010
Foundation is only interesting from the "lore of the game" perspective. After the first zones I felt there was too much combat even compared to normal Control so I just used cheat engine to make the combat trivial and just explore the place and find the documents and continue the story.

I felt AWE had less combat than Foundation and if you played Alan Wake it's interesting finding how it's a shared world and what happened after Alan Wake's ending.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Estel posted:

so I just used cheat engine

there's literally in-game settings to turn on invincibility and one-hit kills

Estel
May 4, 2010
I played recently the dlcs but played the base game long ago and I just checked and they added it after I played the base game so I had no idea that existed.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Ah, drat it, that's a perfectly good excuse. You got me.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

A less positive thing I will say about Control is that the DLC seems unnecessary.

I agree with this. Just playing the main game and ignoring the DLC is a much better experience.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

AWE drags a bit, but has a few interesting set pieces, Foundation has great vibes. If anything, check out a summary or something, but I still think Foundation is worth playing and I don't regret playing AWE.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I will never agree with people that think Control's combat is bad but even as a big Alan Wake fan I didn't really like either of the DLCs very much and just skipped them my second playthrough. AWE really drags but I guess they're both worth plaything through once cause I think the stories of them are interesting and worthwhile.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The DLCs add the grenade launcher and all of the hilarious non-Grip legendary mods so they can't be all bad.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Mr E posted:

I will never agree with people that think Control's combat is bad but even as a big Alan Wake fan I didn't really like either of the DLCs very much and just skipped them my second playthrough. AWE really drags but I guess they're both worth plaything through once cause I think the stories of them are interesting and worthwhile.

I think the combat is great but the balance ruins it. By the back half of the game the only effective things were the launch ability and the rocket launcher. I tried to max out the damage on, like, the shotgun and machine guns but they just couldn't hack it, especially with the damage the enemies were putting out.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Yeah, combat in Control is amazing other than the fact that doing anything other than pressing the one good button sucks.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Mordja posted:

I think the combat is great but the balance ruins it. By the back half of the game the only effective things were the launch ability and the rocket launcher. I tried to max out the damage on, like, the shotgun and machine guns but they just couldn't hack it, especially with the damage the enemies were putting out.

That's really odd to me because the shotgun was a trusty and reliable friend all game long in my case. Especially 3/4ths through the game when a DLC mod dropped that refunded ammo when you dodged. (I do remember reading after the fact that +pellet mods are worthless tho.)

Back when the game first came out, the machine gun was the agreed upon least good gun so that one isn't a surprise.

My other workhorse gun was the pistol and that definitely falls off but the legendary mod effectively gives it infinite ammo so eh.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Humble is re-running some bundles. They just added the Deckbuilding Roguelike bundle. Top tier is twenty bucks or so for:

Alina of the Arena
Tainted Grail: Conquest
Banners of Ruin Collection
Chrono Ark
Luck Be A Landlord
Dicey Dungeons
Fights In Tight Spaces

Of those I've only played LBAL and Dicey Dungeons, both of which are a lot of fun. I know the roguelike thread was big into Alina a while ago.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

HopperUK posted:

Humble is re-running some bundles. They just added the Deckbuilding Roguelike bundle. Top tier is twenty bucks or so for:

Alina of the Arena
Chrono Ark
Luck Be A Landlord
Dicey Dungeons
Fights In Tight Spaces

Of those I've only played LBAL and Dicey Dungeons, both of which are a lot of fun. I know the roguelike thread was big into Alina a while ago.

Fights in Tight Spaces is one of the most elegant and fun combinations of tactical turn based combat and cards I've seen in a while. Good if you ran out of Into the Breach and want something kinda similar!

mystes
May 31, 2006

I guess I bought that bundle before and only played dicey dungeons so I should probably play the others

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Fights in Tight Spaces is one of the most elegant and fun combinations of tactical turn based combat and cards I've seen in a while. Good if you ran out of Into the Breach and want something kinda similar!
It's not as tight as Slay The Spire but it's so much cooler to watch.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Is it possible to "beat" Against the Storm?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

There's an end goal of reforging all the seals, but it requires playing on the highest difficulty levels

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

John Murdoch posted:

That's really odd to me because the shotgun was a trusty and reliable friend all game long in my case. Especially 3/4ths through the game when a DLC mod dropped that refunded ammo when you dodged. (I do remember reading after the fact that +pellet mods are worthless tho.)

Back when the game first came out, the machine gun was the agreed upon least good gun so that one isn't a surprise.

My other workhorse gun was the pistol and that definitely falls off but the legendary mod effectively gives it infinite ammo so eh.

the rail gun did great work for me in my playthroughs. Load it up with +headshot damage mods and it will one-shot drat near everything in the game

you can also get in a rhythm with launch->launch->railgun while mana recharges->repeat that lets you take out an enemy every second without stopping

shotgun can be a good emergency backup if something nasty gets too close. I also like the rocket launcher with the -ammo consumption while airborne mods. Get a couple of those and it essentially has infinite ammo, which can get real nasty real quick

pistol can kinda stay relevant with the headshot damage mods, but it still falls off compared to the other guns. Machine gun sucks tho, not sure how to build that one

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Is it possible to "beat" Against the Storm?

It's kinda like Slay the Spire - you go up the difficulty levels and do the seal challenges. Eventually you reach the last seal and that's it, but there isn't like a story or anything.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I enjoyed both of the Control DLCs for what they were, which is like 90 more min of Control each. I did replay the lobby shootout survival mode quite a few times.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

HopperUK posted:

Alina of the Arena
Chrono Ark
Luck Be A Landlord
Dicey Dungeons
Fights In Tight Spaces

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/luck-draw-roguelike-deckbuilders-holiday-encore

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Cheers! I did mean to copy the link in but I am barely half awake today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

why do they make it so annoying to gift someone a game? it's like they don't really want you to do it