Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Little moment I loved was both the Doctor AND the Toymaker's immediate rejection of Donna saying the Toymaker would cheat at the game, just aghast at the very notion!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Little moment I loved was both the Doctor AND the Toymaker's immediate rejection of Donna saying the Toymaker would cheat at the game, just aghast at the very notion!

I actually loved the little explanation of the Toymaker's worldview. No good or evil, right or wrong, just win or lose.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

MikeJF posted:

I've been out is there a reason people tend to refer to him as Ncuti instead of Gatwa? Generally when taking about the others it's surname that's most commonly used but I see y'all saying Ncuti more often.

I suppose people tended to refer to Jodie Whittaker as Jodie too.

i always refered to 13 as whitaker (iirc) but i said ncuti because it sounds cool. farewell.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

I actually loved the little explanation of the Toymaker's worldview. No good or evil, right or wrong, just win or lose.

When he complains that there are two Doctors and they point out that they're playing by HIS rules and also HE is the one who caused the Bi-Generation in the first place, and he's just furious but also welp he's bound by those rules was :kiss:

I love stories about incomprehensible beings that are themselves bound by the laws and rules that they generate by their own power, limited by their own unlimited potential as it were, and the way it played off the Doctor invoking superstition in The Wild Blue Yonder was done incredibly well.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Khanstant posted:

No more than they have to explain why past Doctors aren't all showing up to help one another with this crisis or that. Why didn't 19 show up to help stop the flux since he friggin hates when he sees a massive galactic destruction on his watch. Doctors all have infinite off screen adventures and they can criss cross whenever they're written to.
Because they didn't. And before you think I'm being an rear end in a top hat, I actually am going somewhere with this:

The time travel rules of Doctor Who are thus:

1.) You absolutely cannot interfere in your own timeline.

2.)Unless you already did. Then you must.

So, if you are experiencing an event for the very first time and a causal loop future you is involved or intervenes, when present you becomes the future you, you must repeat those events exactly as they happened the first time, now as the other you, Bill and Ted Circle K parking lot style.

I super love it.

On a completely different topic, I've mentioned before that I got into Doctor Who at the 50th when I was losing my father to cancer because there was an awful lot of it and I needed distractions. It was the perfect fit, turned out, because there was so much optimism amid the tragedies.

Then when I was coming to terms with being trans a few years later, they released the next Doctor promo with Jodie Whittaker and I was so jazzed with second-hand gender euphoria that I came out of the closet immediately. Like, not ten minutes later.

As for now, we had a discussion a few weeks back about changing Davros to be less lovely to disabled people and I mentioned that while I am disabled, I don't have a mobility disability and whoops! Now I do. Wheelchair for a year, cane for the rest of my life, and right as I'm coming to terms with this new adventure, The Tardis gets a wheelchair ramp.

It is uncanny how there for me, specifically, Doctor Who has been for the last ten years.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
So there are 3 potential plot points left hanging for the new season.
The Meeps boss
He who waits
The master tooth

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MikeJF posted:

I've been out is there a reason people tend to refer to him as Ncuti instead of Gatwa? Generally when taking about the others it's surname that's most commonly used but I see y'all saying Ncuti more often.

I'm sure there are lots of different reasons, I know I alternate between "Jodie" and "Whittaker" and "Ncuti" and "Gatwa" myself and I couldn't really tell you why I might do one over the other, beyond Jodie is easier/faster to write than Whittaker and I'm always second-guessing if there is one t or two. But sometimes people just seem to suit being referred to by a first name over a surname and I can't really explain why. I always thought of Tom Baker as "Tom" for instance, even before Colin Baker came along, but I'd always refer exclusively to Hartnell, Troughton and Pertwee by their surnames. I always have to double check the spelling of Eccleston's name too but writing "Christopher" just doesn't seem "right" and I couldn't explain it.

So in short.... iunno! v:shobon:v

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Dec 9, 2023

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

It is uncanny how there for me, specifically, Doctor Who has been for the last ten years.

Wow, that's kind of crazy and I'm really glad a show like Doctor Who has been there to help you through things.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

MikeJF posted:

I always type Ncuti because 'Ncuti' flows off the tongue better than 'Gatwa'

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Now we’re all assuming the Master but with this thing of myths becoming true, what if it’s The Master… of the Land of Fiction?

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
I loved most of this! Not a fan of the bi-generation, I feel like Ncuti is undermined by having Tennant still out there in the canon? It might be silly but here we are. It's not like the settling down scenes didn't work for me, but oh well, love me some RTD madness, can't go crazy if he pulls out madness I don't personally like!

DavidCameronsPig
Jun 23, 2023

Jerusalem posted:

Loved his explanation for Clara.

"She got killed.... by a bird!"

Ok I'm gonna be that guy. Did the Doctor even know that Clara was still out there? Or Bill, for that matter?

(the answer of course is wibbly wobbly timey wimey)

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

lmao that ruled, rusty is firing on all cylinders

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

The_Doctor posted:

Now we’re all assuming the Master but with this thing of myths becoming true, what if it’s The Master… of the Land of Fiction?

Ohpleaseohpleaseohplease.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mr Beens posted:

So there are 3 potential plot points left hanging for the new season.
The Meeps boss
He who waits
The master tooth

I'd assume the first two are the same, honestly.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DavidCameronsPig posted:

Ok I'm gonna be that guy. Did the Doctor even know that Clara was still out there? Or Bill, for that matter?

He got all his memories of Clara back in Twice Upon A Time, so yes, for her.

And Bill might've mentioned her fate there too, but otherwise: "Thirteen bumped into her off-screen and got it explained". There.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Toymaker also said "my legions are coming"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

DavidCameronsPig posted:

12 told that nice waitress he met in that diner that he had reconstructed his knowledge of Clara from the gaps in his memory but that just meant he had awareness of the details without the actual specifics - like the difference between experiencing an event and reading a summary of it on Wikipedia (without pictures!) I guess you could say. He met the digital "ghost" of Bill in his last story and learned what happened to her after they parted ways.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Jerusalem posted:

12 told that nice waitress he met in that diner that he had reconstructed his knowledge of Clara from the gaps in his memory but that just meant he had awareness of the details without the actual specifics - like the difference between experiencing an event and reading a summary of it on Wikipedia (without pictures!) I guess you could say. He met the digital "ghost" of Bill in his last story and learned what happened to her after they parted ways.

I thought his memory of Clara was restored fully in Capaldi’s final story?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I couldn't quite tell, btw, but did they use Clara's theme for the puppet show segment? I was listening out for it because that motif stands out so much from almost everything else Gold writes for the show.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Oh entirely possible I forgot about that, but that would be nice!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Oh entirely possible I forgot about that, but that would be nice!

It was, they poorly greenscreened in Jenna Coleman from the set of her Queen Victoria show I think for a single shot.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

lol this is an official picture the BBC has put out. :eyepop:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

lol this is an official picture the BBC has put out. :eyepop:

There's something oddly comforting about knowing I could never, ever, ever be this cool.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The way that 15 talks about how he’s fine because 14 sorted himself out, I’m assuming the whole bi-generation is a regeneration out of sync with the normal timeline because of Toymaker reality-bending shenanigans. 14 will eventually regenerate into 15 like normal, but for now they’re both around and both fully The Doctor.

The behind the scenes real world reasoning for it is probably deeply cynical and depressing, but that’s how I’m handwaving it in-universe until we find out otherwise.

I loving love Gatwa already :allears:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Gaz-L posted:

It was, they poorly greenscreened in Jenna Coleman from the set of her Queen Victoria show I think for a single shot.

The sequence in question:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfjLXdA4hk4

It's interesting watching this scene again. Feels like Giggle was finally paying off the "Can't I rest?" plot beat.

AlMac
Oct 5, 2003

Peter Serafinowicz says I'M THE BEST

Gaz-L posted:

I couldn't quite tell, btw, but did they use Clara's theme for the puppet show segment? I was listening out for it because that motif stands out so much from almost everything else Gold writes for the show.

Yes they definitely did - it didn’t play for long but it was definitely there!

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Anyone who's comfortable having that as an official publicity shot, and who wore what he did for the Barbie pink carpet premiere, has the stones to be one hell of a Doctor. I'm feeling hyped for what's to come.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

howe_sam posted:

The sequence in question:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfjLXdA4hk4

It's interesting watching this scene again. Feels like Giggle was finally paying off the "Can't I rest?" plot beat.

The overall story is a bit dicey, but I pretty much love the ending of Twice Upon A Time. Especially the replica Bill and Nardole not judging the Doctor for wanting to just stop and asically being ready for it to end. Just being kind to him, like he would.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

https://x.com/jetsam_shoes/status/1733574273875226646?s=46&t=_t3R3O4inwGCyXxW88QslQ

DavidCameronsPig
Jun 23, 2023

The_Doctor posted:

It was, but Clara only decided to not go straight to Gallifrey and fly off with Ashilda instead after she left the Doctor. So even if the Doctor got his memories back, as far as he knew, she went straight back to Trap Street and got Crow'd.

I sure hope someone got fired for that blunder!

Episode was dumb as gently caress. I loved it. I imagine the pitch to get Neil Pactick Harris in went 'What do you want me to do', 'Whatever the gently caress you want'. Donna decapitating the doll and then staring down her babies owned. The Bi-Generation was weird but whatever, Tennant has earned the right for the odd comeback episode no matter how tenuous the writing to get him there is. Lol at the Master, now in Tooth form. Pure RTD-Who fun loveable camp at its best.

Sorta wished it was a twoparter though. They spent so long building the Toymaker up as this massive villain, and then ran out of run time and had to beat him so quickly with a game of catch it undercut a fantastic villain. Wild Blue Yonder was great, but there was no reason it had to be a 14 story aside from a couple story beats, you could have saved it for Gatwa.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
According to the original podcast & the in-vision commentary, Russell T Davies offers that not only the 14th Doctor bigenerated but EVERY other Doctor did in some sort of time-loop, explaining that the older 5,6 and 7th Doctors from Tales of The Tardis are all bi-generated Doctors. Now that is fanwanking I can get behind.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
https://twitter.com/GuyLambertUK/status/1733581223811805575?s=20
rtds little mwahaha at the end.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

Because they didn't. And before you think I'm being an rear end in a top hat, I actually am going somewhere with this:

The time travel rules of Doctor Who are thus:

1.) You absolutely cannot interfere in your own timeline.

2.)Unless you already did. Then you must.

So, if you are experiencing an event for the very first time and a causal loop future you is involved or intervenes, when present you becomes the future you, you must repeat those events exactly as they happened the first time, now as the other you, Bill and Ted Circle K parking lot style.

1 and 2 just means they can criss cross whenever they're written to which can be whenever but don't except for special moments. Once a doctor decides to interact with themselves then they're doing it. Also no rules truly apply to the doctor, you're begging him to shirk them again by even stating them as rules. Both of them are spinning their canes charging their rule breaking point and laugh.

Either way, despite the possibilities, we don't have to be shown ruling out why X infinite time travel casual reality denying beings out there don't hop in to intervene during any given crisis with or without a breakable unbreakable rule.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Eh, the Toymaker's locked in a box at UNIT. No reason you can't have the Master or the Rani (maybe that's who snagged the tooth, seeing as Gatwa's suggested Gillian Anderson play her) or whoever steal it and let him out. Best 3 out of 5, hmm?

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

SiKboy posted:

I hate the breathy bit in the new theme.

Agreed.
The version they have playing over the credits for the Doctor Who unleashed has a different mix where the clacky sounds are still there but are quieter.
It's definitely a choice, just like the audio mix for the show. A bad choice.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

I love this giant, gay, Welsh troll :D

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
Knew what was coming because of the leaks, was worried it would be crap - I forgot about Emotional Logic! Thanks, Rusty! Oh, that was grand.

I thought there was a lot of quite small but conscious wrestling with the fact this is a very old show that has, frankly, not always been on the money in terms of, well, not being lovely in various ways. I'm interested to watch Unleashed because it sounds like Russell talks about that a bit.

Overall, that feels like one of the most successful regenerations *of the show* since, well, 2005, and possibly also since the vet first couple of regenerations. I'm so excited to be a fan of what comes next.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
In fairness to RTD: This worked way better than some of his other finales, because the lack of strict logic is baked into the villain's whole gimmick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I had genuinely forgotten how much fun RTD Who could be