Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Myself I was the type to have an original home base on the coast of the meadows and black forest with a bunch of outposts of various levels of effort put in, from the beachhead portal to the fortified forging area on the border of a swamp/bottom of a mountain/coast of the plains.

Usually crafting and refining ores near the source to make them into things that can go through portals or lightening the load for the boat trip back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
I usually have a portal-hub near the altars just to have that handy, and sometimes the portal-hub becomes a huge warehouse too with a ton of aisles of labeled chests. I enjoy building so I do make a few mini-bases depending on how things go, even if it's just something on a rock to easily repair a boat and portal home. That said, sailing ores back home got pretty frustrating so in my last run I used one of the mods that let you build advanced portals that you can then use to portal raw ores or refined metals (depending on configuration) and I found that to be a great balance. I had it set up so that each level of portal let me move just the refined metals, until the most advanced portal just let me portal everything. It meant that for new metals I had to set up enough of a base to refine the metal (or sail it home) but once I had enough for the equivalent level portal I could just pop two of those down - one in my base and one in the remote outpost - and then just shortcut everything back. End result was that I really had just the one main base, and a few small ones from reclaimed buildings or just shacks on the shore big enough for a portal and a smelter.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
In the current game I'm on my second base, I've completely raised and leveled a small island in the middle of a small inland sea connected to the surrounding ocean. I liked the location. I don't want to move the base because of the resources from the surrounding biomes, because I'll mine the surrounding resources eventually anyway, so a big relocation would be pointless, in my opinion. Occasionally I'll find an interesting location and build something there, like when I restored the remains of the round tower in the mountains. I don't even need a lot of space for portals because I only have two portals in my main base, I record the portal names on tables and just rename portals when I need to.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Koobze posted:

I usually have a portal-hub near the altars just to have that handy, and sometimes the portal-hub becomes a huge warehouse too with a ton of aisles of labeled chests. I enjoy building so I do make a few mini-bases depending on how things go, even if it's just something on a rock to easily repair a boat and portal home. That said, sailing ores back home got pretty frustrating so in my last run I used one of the mods that let you build advanced portals that you can then use to portal raw ores or refined metals (depending on configuration) and I found that to be a great balance. I had it set up so that each level of portal let me move just the refined metals, until the most advanced portal just let me portal everything. It meant that for new metals I had to set up enough of a base to refine the metal (or sail it home) but once I had enough for the equivalent level portal I could just pop two of those down - one in my base and one in the remote outpost - and then just shortcut everything back. End result was that I really had just the one main base, and a few small ones from reclaimed buildings or just shacks on the shore big enough for a portal and a smelter.

What's the name of that particular mod? Slowly advancing capabilities is a nice compromise between no metal teleporting and just turning that off.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

the pro move is to record the portal names on your map

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

What's the name of that particular mod? Slowly advancing capabilities is a nice compromise between no metal teleporting and just turning that off.

https://valheim.thunderstore.io/package/RandyKnapp/AdvancedPortals/

punishedkissinger posted:

the pro move is to record the portal names on your map

This is also true, if your map isn't covered in all kinds of icons you're doing it wrong. I tend to also mark clumps of berries near my base, so at the start if I really need to get some I can do a run around and get a bunch fast.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I stay in the meadows until I reach the plains then build a base on top of the stone spires (preferably at least two close together) so I can basically ignore enemy raids. I’ll build small bases in other meadows that are closer to big swamps or mountains but only to smelt while I keep mining. I haven’t really felt a need to build a base in the mistlands yet though I could probably just build on top of a mountain like in the plains.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

I make a real sloppy hovel right at the start, then the first main base goes down on the shores of a meadow near good forests and swamps, and ideally mountains. I don’t build a base in the swamps at all - just day-trip in for iron. Then I usually look for a tiny plains island to build my endgame base, which I’ll terraform out until it can be used to grow crops and stuff. Never have to deal with raids or anything and there’s plenty of places to park boats.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Thanks!

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

I tend to build a starter base near enough a Black Forest until I get stone construction. Then pick a open meadow with a decent view and build a Metropolis that becomes the center of my universe. On the run before current I had one Metropolis across from a deep divide river between with a Mountain on one side. I built a base off the side of the Mountain cliff side with the intention of being able to see one from the other. Unfortunately the game wouldn't render the complete base on either side even at the highest settings. Just a little too far apart. :(
I play with modded transportable Ore, because gently caress all that sailing. Also I do stupid poo poo solo like clean out a entire swamp of iron just to build ironwood support for ocean spanning bridges. Really gently caress all that sailing. I once built a 20x16 m 8 story "Office Tower" framed with Ironwood and encased in crystal windows before Ice caves were introduced. Farming all that crystal off golems was nuts.
I'm embarrassed by how much time Steam says I have in this game.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

I really want them (or a modder) to add saddlebags to the Lox saddle. It would make it waaaay more useful for overland travel, bc right now it’s not usually worth the hassle.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Sixto Lezcano posted:

I really want them (or a modder) to add saddlebags to the Lox saddle. It would make it waaaay more useful for overland travel, bc right now it’s not usually worth the hassle.

Yeah I use lox saddles exclusively to identify my named lox who are not to be butchered

I love my two original lox "Mammas" and "The Pappas"

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Sixto Lezcano posted:

They need to make a cart that the lox can pull.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Valtonen posted:

They need to make a cart that the lox can pull.

There are carts that size in game at the dig sites. But I guess they are just graphical flavor at this point.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Hasselblad posted:

There are carts that size in game at the dig sites. But I guess they are just graphical flavor at this point.

I did appreciate that they made them lox carts just so you could headcanon it. It's a good attention to detail.

E: vvvv yeah I'd prefer lox saddlebags tbh.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Dec 5, 2023

Burns
May 10, 2008

Problem with carts is that theyre a huge pain.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah the saddle is completely useless It should have like a medium sized chest worth of storage on it. It even makes sense from a gameplay perspective because if you are dicking around in the plains for a long time odds are You are farming black metal either on purpose or on accident.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

At least you can ride loxes while over-encumbered, but riding them is 'nice, but useless'

Let me build some cages for transportation of animals on ships or something.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Dwesa posted:

At least you can ride loxes while over-encumbered, but riding them is 'nice, but useless'

Let me build some cages for transportation of animals on ships or something.

Riding feels like an incomplete feature. Lox a fun to have in fuling fights but i wish you could fight from a top the saddle.

I think in the future they should make a "caravan saddle" which also adds cargo inventory and a "battle saddle" that allows the player to use their weapons without falling off. Im thinking something like the mumakil in LOTR or ancient war elephant towers.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Alright, took down Yagluth. Frost staff came in clutch. Having 2 dozen or so loxes helped but yeah they didnt last long. He still got me 3 or 4 times with fire damage even with the fire resist potion. During one of the corpse runs the game decided to throw in You are Being Hunted for the extra fun of it.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
God, that event can feel so hateful sometimes

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

it's the most fun to have to deal with imo

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
The problem with loxen is that they make me wish the Valheim devs would make an ARK clone with the same sort of "gameplay before graphics" approach

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

punishedkissinger posted:

it's the most fun to have to deal with imo

My final base in my last game had a moat, with a single bridge access. The wolves event usually ended with me defending the bridge from the pack, retreating slowly down the way as they tried to push further in :black101:

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
A story in two pictures.

I was just adding windows when the trolls came. I had no health, and my chests were unsorted.

Consider building a modest wall around your brand new post-swamp house during home contruction. Also, have some food and potions ready to go, in a place thats clearly marked.

I haven't been as mad at a game as I was last night since childhood, and it was entirely my fault.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

A story in two pictures.

I was just adding windows when the trolls came. I had no health, and my chests were unsorted.

Consider building a modest wall around your brand new post-swamp house during home contruction. Also, have some food and potions ready to go, in a place thats clearly marked.

I haven't been as mad at a game as I was last night since childhood, and it was entirely my fault.

Pits with steep walls are your friend when trolls come a knocking.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Moat lox are also a great front line until archers or poison spray enemies show.

Check in on your murder cows daily.

Burns
May 10, 2008

New update posted on steam community:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/892970

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Very cool update. The new monsters and art in general looks really good.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

the first half of 2024 sounds fine

Burns
May 10, 2008

Hey, is it just me or are there no lore stones in the Mistland biome?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Which type of player are most of the people in the thread, the "bring everything back to the first base and keep refining and expanding on it" type or the "the new location is now my main base and I will build it up before doing it in the next biome" type?

Our save started on a little island with only starter biome, so we built up our first village a bit and made rafts to set sail and begin the rest of the game off tutorial island. Honestly think all maps should start you on an island with a sketchy raft trip past sea snakes being your intro to any new biomes and the rest of the world. We built better and castles each time we set sail after to settle in a new place, but had a portal network to connect them so it all felt like a city.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Burns posted:

Hey, is it just me or are there no lore stones in the Mistland biome?

I remember I found some and Valheim wiki has a list of them... looking at the world map website, they seem to be fairly rare and far apart. The mist probably also doesn't help in locating them :shrug:

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Dec 19, 2023

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I bounced off this a bit when it first came out but this time for sure I'm going to get it. First world I rolled into and everything's going swell, and then I spent all my leather scraps and didn't have a bow but decided its fine, I'll go into the black forest anyways, this one grey dwarf seemed fine. 4 corpse runs later I rerolled to a new world and realized I have no gear because I never got back my original corpse. I gave up on that game, but this time, realizing that I shouldn't go into the black forest unprepared I immediately again died in the black forest and have built a shelter for my corpse runs because I accidentally dismantled my spawn point at one point in the journey. Anyways 2 renovations later the corpse run shelter is looking great.

GeorgieMordor
Jan 23, 2015
Are we allowed to ask about Valheim cloud server recommendations here? I could use one -- some friends and I would like to get back into this. I thought this would be simple and there would d be one obvious choice and service for this, but I'm searching now and see there's like a bajillion game server hosting services and they all look the same.

I've used G-Portal before...they seemed, fine. Had no issues but the Dashboard always felt a bit janky.

Anyone have first-hand experience and opinions with one over a longer span of time, for Valheim specifically?

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

GeorgieMordor posted:

Are we allowed to ask about Valheim cloud server recommendations here? I could use one -- some friends and I would like to get back into this. I thought this would be simple and there would d be one obvious choice and service for this, but I'm searching now and see there's like a bajillion game server hosting services and they all look the same.

I've used G-Portal before...they seemed, fine. Had no issues but the Dashboard always felt a bit janky.

Anyone have first-hand experience and opinions with one over a longer span of time, for Valheim specifically?

This is what we used: https://www.gtxgaming.co.uk/?lang=en-us

They have US servers so don't let the .uk put you off. I've never used any other server hosting service but this one seemed to work well and the dashboard made sense to me.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I sailed off in my fancy new karve to go find the elder, landed in a village in the meadows a full day's sail from the base. Got ganked by draugr, and I'd like to tell you all that it happened before I could set up the portal, but I didn't even bring portal mats because 'this is just a quick jaunt to make sure my harbor entrance is low enough/figure out how it handles'. So I made the sensible choice to take my bronze axe and backup armor and just start in a new world. fuckDraugr is a really great map seed as it turns out. Nice rich black forest with enough crypts that I'm thinking of fencing one in and making a skeleton observation platform.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Yeah, the random draugr in the meadows are a fun surprise when you’ve never seen them before. They’re usually pretty well pent up in the houses, but they can break out if you stick around too long.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

rjmccall posted:

Yeah, the random draugr in the meadows are a fun surprise when you’ve never seen them before. They’re usually pretty well pent up in the houses, but they can break out if you stick around too long.
They definitely caught me with my pants down the first time. I think they were the first time I found draugr so I grossly underestimated their strength at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

There's no swamp on my continent so I have set sail west. This time I remembered to bring my portal materials. Started sailing at about late afternoon, as you do when sailing west for peak visibility, and a bit into the night I decided to go ashore and drop a portal to go home for the night. I then realize I haven't set the one at home to anything and hoof it back that night. After 2 days and a raging storm I made it to some meadows near some nice big swamp. Sailed right past the cute meadows village (full of draugrs) and set up my portal in a shack down the shore. Being really smart I decide to just poke my nose in and see how bad this is going to be. I'm having fun sniping distant enemies, shooting leeches, feeling all sorts of confident when a 1 star draugr, draugr elite, some skeletons are suddenly on me out of nowhere and my flailing wakes up the abomination. Back at base I see what I have on hand for food putting weird things in my inventory to see if the cauldron will react to it (it won't), eat up, and portal back with the intent of surgical striking this corpse run. I of course die again, and on waking up I realize that corpse had literally all the ingredients on it still because I am an idiot. Now I have 2 corpses with totally full inventories that I need to grab the most important things from. 8 billion arrows later I've thinned out the crowd of draugr enough to get a decent amount of gear back, and actually managed to kill the abomination while drunk on my own victory. I have sailed home with a full 4 stacks of iron, which I assume should last me about 2-3 hours.