Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Nothingtoseehere posted:

TWI is bad though.

No it isn't?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Nothingtoseehere posted:

TWI is bad though.

:wrong:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I've liked all the TWI published vols. The only plot line I dislike is the Flos one, so book 10, The Wind Runner, my least liked one due to like half of that book being him.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Peachfart posted:

No it isn't?

its going on 7 years now, is on volume 9, and is 12.4 million words long. its overwritten to the point of absurdity.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I'm up to date with TWI and looking forward to the finale this year. Yeah there's a lot of dead ends along the way but I still love the characters. Same goes for Prac Guide, I'd often skip 4 pages of fight descriptions just looking for the next dialogue section. So.. yeah gimme recs with strong likeable characters I guess.

E. And I'm very grateful for the satisfying epilogue in prac guide. That gave some good closure while still providing a reason to perhaps come back to the world and characters again.

Aware fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 9, 2023

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

shades of blue posted:

its going on 7 years now, is on volume 9, and is 12.4 million words long. its overwritten to the point of absurdity.

yeah but it's good

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I'm quite ok if TWI never ends. It's regular comfort food.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Aware posted:

I'm up to date with TWI and looking forward to the finale this year.
Wait what? I never actually read any of those books but I've always heard that they are incredibly incredibly slow and after all this time basically still in a phase of setting up. I expected that to wrap up in a decade at the earliest.
I've grown to accept it as something which will always show up in my Audible suggestions because I've heard similar stuff, but will always be to large and intimidating to dive in.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
The finale chapter for the current set up event I mean

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Ah. The world is right again.
The speed of the releases will also increase exponentially and in 50 years, half of humanities written words will be this. By that point the story has finished introducing the main cast.

In all honesty, I will probably actually check it out sometime. Is the first book consistent with the rest, or is it one of those stories where you have to force yourself through at first, with the idea that it gets better in a vague future?

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Dec 10, 2023

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

cant cook creole bream posted:

Ah. The world is right again.
The speed of the releases will also increase exponentially and in 50 years, half of humanities written words will be this. By that point the story has finished introducing the main cast.

In all honesty, I will probably actually check it out sometime. Is the first book consistent with the rest, or is it one of those stories where you have to force yourself through at first, with the idea that it gets better in a vague future?

It is always good, the scope just expands over time. I'm not sure how much more the scope can expand at this point, though I have seen a few hints from the story about how it could go even bigger. But I hope you have a good memory because the story eventually expects you to remember a cast of characters that reach into the hundreds.

Edit: Also pirateaba rewrote the first book and it is significantly better than it originally was.

Peachfart fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Dec 10, 2023

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
With the Wandering Inn, I usually don't like a character as they're introduced. But then they grow on me.

Erin in Book 1 was ignoring everyones advice and leaning hard on Relc and Klbch. Abusing their friendship, even though they'd barely knew her. She grows into the "master manipulator/friends with everyone and contacts everywhere" role though.

Pisces was a thief and using illusions to scam people when we first met him. He's become my favorite character.

Ryoka. Oh Ryoka. She sabotages herself so hard even she gets sick of it. Props for massive character growth though.

Laken, the german guy who, when faced with a goblin tribe travelling though his lands, goes straight for the chemical weapons. No self awareness at all, until he realises maybe gassing baby goblins isn't a good look. I still don't like his racist girlfriend (who is a half-troll herself.)

The Wandering Inn is my favorite series still. But for a new reader there is so, so much of it. It is daunting to start.

"Welcome to Liscor. The Drakes are racist and every single Gnoll can smell when you last had sex."

Onehandclapping
Oct 21, 2010
TWI had a rewrite of the first volume about a year ago to try and get it up to modern TWI standards, and it's very good. It's a solid opening nowadays, kind of generic isekai setup.

It very quickly gets to meat of the series, what I and presumably others read it for, the main character and the weirdos that hang out with her and the dramas of their daily lives in a fantasy world.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Peachfart posted:

But I hope you have a good memory because the story eventually expects you to remember a cast of characters that reach into the hundreds.

This reminds me, one of the things I like about Ave Xia Rem Y is that every chapter ends with a little section that lists all the characters and gives them a pithy little summary. It's a nice refresher on the occasional characters, and the summaries are often entertaining their own right.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I started TWI when it was up to about Book 7 and it was kind of comforting knowing I had about 2 years of material to get through at my pace roughly. Now I look forward to updates and each takes me a day or three to get through because aba has a ridiculous word count.

I actually subscribed to Matt dinimans patreon for a while but compared to aba his updates/chapters are so infrequent and then very very tiny on top of that that I just gave up and will read the books on Ku as they come out. aba sets an absurdly high bar in regards to updates.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Also the word count has been dropping a bit lately in favor of multiple editing passes, if that convinces anyone.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

cant cook creole bream posted:

Wait what? I never actually read any of those books but I've always heard that they are incredibly incredibly slow and after all this time basically still in a phase of setting up.

IMO the fanbase does an extremely poor job of selling it by saying stuff along these lines, together with "it gets good after x million words". Its scope grows to epic proportions after x million words, but everything that makes it appealing is there from the start (or at least from the moment Erin meets other characters who talk to her). Pirateaba's main strength is in writing characters with distinct voices and having them interact in fun ways, and even pre-rewrite, this was the case, although the rewrite did go a long way towards making v1 Ryoka less insufferable to read about without changing her outward actions.

As for the slow pacing, I think most people would assume (reasonably) that this means that every single plot point is unnecessarily drawn out and it becomes a chore to read, but I don't think this is the case. There are plot points that do take a long time to resolve, but in the way something like the MCU draws out its overarching plot--plenty happens in a single installment, but if you just wanted to know more about the infinity stones as opposed to just enjoying the characters being silly while they attend to their own devices, you're not gonna have a good time.

What I can tell you is that its length does not owe to spending copious amounts of time describing things or dwelling too long on any single moment, but rather, to characters being so busy with so many different things. Yeah, there's a lot of filler conversation, but those are usually the highlights of a chapter!

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I didn't want to bundle this one with my other post, but in non-TWI news, Re: Trailer Trash has a webtoon now, and I'm surprised at how much it's diverging from the source material; it's got entire characters who don't exist at all in the serial, and a lot of other stuff is more streamlined. Also, Tabby speaking in a weirdly offputting way is explained much more simply and is way less cringe than in the original story where she consciously chose to do it. It remains to be seen how important Evanescence will be to this version of the story.

https://www.webtoons.com/en/drama/re-trailer-trash/list?title_no=5776

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Argue posted:

IMO the fanbase does an extremely poor job of selling it by saying stuff along these lines, together with "it gets good after x million words". Its scope grows to epic proportions after x million words, but everything that makes it appealing is there from the start (or at least from the moment Erin meets other characters who talk to her). Pirateaba's main strength is in writing characters with distinct voices and having them interact in fun ways, and even pre-rewrite, this was the case, although the rewrite did go a long way towards making v1 Ryoka less insufferable to read about without changing her outward actions.

As for the slow pacing, I think most people would assume (reasonably) that this means that every single plot point is unnecessarily drawn out and it becomes a chore to read, but I don't think this is the case. There are plot points that do take a long time to resolve, but in the way something like the MCU draws out its overarching plot--plenty happens in a single installment, but if you just wanted to know more about the infinity stones as opposed to just enjoying the characters being silly while they attend to their own devices, you're not gonna have a good time.

What I can tell you is that its length does not owe to spending copious amounts of time describing things or dwelling too long on any single moment, but rather, to characters being so busy with so many different things. Yeah, there's a lot of filler conversation, but those are usually the highlights of a chapter!

I think this is the best summary of TWI I've read. It can be super frustrating throughout when you're just getting into a character's arc and then bam, the focus changes for the next 10 chapters and you've forgotten your investment by the time it comes back around.

It's almost a little Pratchett like in that while he was actively publishing you'd be hanging out for the next Guards book but instead get 4 other great books not about the Guards until oh hey the we're back in Ankh Morpork! But at a much larger scale.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Argue posted:

Okay, but can you please sum up what the series is in a sentence?

Joking aside, I think you've sold me on it. It's going on my backlog now.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
See you in 3 years when you've caught up

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Argue posted:

I didn't want to bundle this one with my other post, but in non-TWI news, Re: Trailer Trash has a webtoon now, and I'm surprised at how much it's diverging from the source material; it's got entire characters who don't exist at all in the serial, and a lot of other stuff is more streamlined. Also, Tabby speaking in a weirdly offputting way is explained much more simply and is way less cringe than in the original story where she consciously chose to do it. It remains to be seen how important Evanescence will be to this version of the story.

https://www.webtoons.com/en/drama/re-trailer-trash/list?title_no=5776

I have a feeling we'll end up in a GOT situation with this adaptation, even at glacial webcomic production speeds.

But in the meantime I checked it out, it's pretty good actually! Lots of people and discussion in the comments section, they seem to be digging it. I hope this bring in more readers/money to the author.

(I look forward to her teenage comic fans going "I love Trailer Trash, what else has she written? Oh, Anime, I love Anime, let's read that!")

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Web Serials:

Argue posted:

. It remains to be seen how important Evanescence will be
(even if I was adjacent to the existence of this current title by first mentioning the guy getting raped by his house, this made me laugh too much to not highlight)

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Web Serials:

(even if I was adjacent to the existence of this current title by first mentioning the guy getting raped by his house, this made me laugh too much to not highlight)

This would be a good title because it is funny but also because I always hated the current one because it is kinda gross.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
TWI is good because when there's nothing else to say about a character, pirateaba explores another character or another continent rather than tread water with filler between arcs. The "filler" is usually a slice of life with satisfying character moments rather than just describing everyone's boring hobbies for three chapters. Characters get the narrative spotlight when they're doing something worth reading. As a consequence there are two hundred perspective characters.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Bhodi posted:

I feel like Thresholder’s author likes to put the protagonist in the way of poeple with godlike abilities, seemingly just to reinforce how small a fish they still are and how little agency they have, especially after a bunch of powerup chapters. It feels really mean spirited in a wildbow sort of way. Since there’s no rhyme or reason to the power in the threshold worlds it just feels really deliberate in this story.

I think this is a reflection of the fact that Perry is actually very powerful, and in order to be given "fair" matches by the portals, he must be matched against powerful people as well. Perry is very good at conventional fights: he's strong, he's fast, he's got great healing, he can fly, his senses are exceptional, and he's got a last-ditch trump card that makes him better at all of those things. Anyone he fights has to either counter his strengths or present a problem that can't be easily solved by stabbing or shooting.

The kicker is that we already know how all of Perry's abilities work and what their strengths and weaknesses are, while all of the enemies he goes up against all start out as complete unknowns. Yeah, the latest guy knows a lot of things he shouldn't, seems to be invincible, and can vanish into thin air, and he knows how to use all of those things to maximum advantage, but there are absolutely going to be exploitable weaknesses that Perry will eventually figure out and use to win.

As for it being kinda mean, I do agree there, but I think it's unavoidable at these power levels. I do think that this current world's pacing has been pretty detrimental to the tone of the story because it's spent a very long time showing us that Perry is extremely strong and never giving him any challenges that he couldn't overcome in basically one shot, so when he's suddenly up against an opponent that he can't beat, it feels like bullshit. A story about supermen endlessly fighting each other is kinda poorly served by an extended section that's entirely about a superman who has nobody to fight.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

shades of blue posted:

I think it sets out to do something that some people (including me) just don't/won't really like.

It basically creates a sort of "sandbox" fantasy setting, ripe for the constant creation of new characters and insertion of new lore. It's like the buffet of web serials. Obviously, there are downsides to this, but it also gives you something you can't really get elsewhere.

It's sort of like how you could reasonably criticize the pacing in Super Supportive, but that's due to a deliberate choice to make a story that just slowly follows a person's life and lets the author indulge in exploring the setting and characters they've clearly been crafting for a long time. Similarly, part of Wandering Inn's whole thing is having a huge number of characters entering and leaving its setting.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
It's a one-person Marvel Universe.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Megazver posted:

It's a one-person Marvel Universe.

Lone Goat posted:

yeah but it's good

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

TWI’s giant cast also lets it have steady power ups but spread amongst so many people that it scales up quite slowly compared to almost any other litrpg. The reader still gets reasonable pacing on number go up dopamine hits and they manifest in meaningful ways (albeit mostly without numbers, since level is the only one) and the characters do to.

Though even for the reader it’s still quite slow if you consider how long the chapters are.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

If I remember right, the first book of TWI has almost no number go up.

Ryoka is insufferable and refuses to interact with the system.

The inn-owners actual system powers are mostly sidegrades, allowing her to do more stuff, but not really making her stronger. Admittedly everyone loves her for no apparent reason so she doesn't need to be personally strong.

I didn't feel like there was much litrpg style progression until about the time the skeleton started getting PoV chapters. But it's been a long time since I read it, so maybe I'm misremembering.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
It's been rewritten though I haven't re-read it I've heard it makes Ryoka less of an rear end in a top hat or at least gives it some more meaning

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the litrpg elements are rarely about number go up at any point in the series really. the system is like the opposite of delve or other blue box vomit serials in that it's not really a quantified system at all, it is completely transparently a narrative device and there are no numbers to be crunched since the only consequence of leveling is gaining skills

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
Delve is the true opposite. Numbers go up, story goes no where.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

imnotinsane posted:

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Hm, as much as I’ve been wishing the current SupSoup arc would wrap up, (Patreon 113) the one thing I hate more than stories about people being bullied are stories about bullied people getting a leg up and then snapping right around and using their new power to get revenge. I was kind of hoping that Lute would handle his selection with however much dignity a 14-year-old could muster, but now that he’s ended this chapter being snippy with the most genuinely friendly and sociable kid in his class, I’m convinced that the reason people don’t like him isn’t just because of the dice thing, but because he’s about to be a massive rear end in a top hat to everyone he knows.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

imnotinsane posted:

did he fix his soul yet

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

LLSix posted:

The inn-owners actual system powers are mostly sidegrades, allowing her to do more stuff, but not really making her stronger. Admittedly everyone loves her for no apparent reason so she doesn't need to be personally strong.

I don't feel like it's for no reason. In fact I feel like it's a very good reason that goes beyond new food and new ideas and friendly banter.

At the core of Erin's personality is that she treats everyone with warmth, openness and authenticity in a world that is cold, closed minded, rigid and switches between indifferent and hateful in its ways of thinking and acting.

She practices radical hospitality. She doesn't just tolerate everyone, but goes through great pains to accept anyone and everyone so long as they behave like a good guest while in her inn, even going so far to defend them at threat to her own life. And since she takes in people that are such pariahs that they're considered not even people, like the goblins, that means she has to constantly defend the people in her inn from getting murdered. And she's no big fighter. She's a scrappy inkeeper with a can-do attitude.

Her form of hospitality is both fascinating and completely and totally alien to our collective lived experience. In fact, I'd say it's why she levels up so fast. She goes above and beyond any and all sane expectations for her guests.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Dec 11, 2023

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

blastron posted:

Hm, as much as I’ve been wishing the current SupSoup arc would wrap up, (Patreon 113) the one thing I hate more than stories about people being bullied are stories about bullied people getting a leg up and then snapping right around and using their new power to get revenge. I was kind of hoping that Lute would handle his selection with however much dignity a 14-year-old could muster, but now that he’s ended this chapter being snippy with the most genuinely friendly and sociable kid in his class, I’m convinced that the reason people don’t like him isn’t just because of the dice thing, but because he’s about to be a massive rear end in a top hat to everyone he knows.

(SupSup 113) I would definitely describe Kon as "nice." "Kind," though, that one I'm not sure about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selkie Myth
May 25, 2013

blastron posted:

I didn't get that vibe AT ALL.