Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
P sure caffeine is like, item two in that red cover book that no one is supposed to read about anti establishment culinary ventures. How did they not know caffeine has a narrowly defined survivable dose. Food scientists exist and are employed by a lot of companies. Guarantee that several factories make this for them, hard to believe no one raised a hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Basic Poster posted:

P sure caffeine is like, item two in that red cover book that no one is supposed to read about anti establishment culinary ventures. How did they not know caffeine has a narrowly defined survivable dose. Food scientists exist and are employed by a lot of companies. Guarantee that several factories make this for them, hard to believe no one raised a hand.
That's really not true. The LD50 of caffeine is insanely high compared to quantities you're normally going to encounter in drinks.

quote:

The median lethal dose (LD50) of caffeine is estimated between 150 to 200 mg per kilogram but reports of lethal intoxications have been made with doses as low as 57 mg per kilogram
Even going with the low estimate of 57 mg/kg, there's no way even a pretty small person is going to get near that drinking a couple of the panera lemonades.

Normally the only way healthy people manage to kill themselves with caffeine is by buying pure powdered caffeine and getting the dose wrong. It's really hard to do it by just drinking energy drinks or coffee, and as far as I know, nobody has suggested that the Panera lemonade had hugely inconsistent amounts of caffeine (like by an order of magnitude) due to quality control issues or something, so it's not like they were actually putting levels of caffeine in the lemonade that would normally be considered unsafe.

It just has a lot of caffeine even by energy drink standards, and people might not have realized that it had caffeine at all, so people like elderly people with heart conditions who were trying not to consume caffeine at all would drink 2, accidentally consuming the equivalent of 8 coffees or whatever, and Panera did legitimately gently caress up by not warning people.

I'm not sure why they felt it would be a good idea to sell this at all, but I just don't think the issue is that caffeine has a "narrowly defined survivable dose" and they exceeded that. It's not like selling a pain killer that has 100x the normal amount of acetaminophen. It's more like the mcdonalds case where the problem wasn't so much that it's inherently unsafe to give people boiling liquids as that people wouldn't normally expect their coffee to still be boiling temperature and they failed to warn people.

mystes has a new favorite as of 18:24 on Dec 9, 2023

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Uhvoborn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5UkA2Gg-Cc

CuriousSymptoms
Jul 18, 2004

Those Goddamn Rainbows Are At It Again

We still had to use Tolkein's edition of Gawain and the Green Knight as an English set text at Cambridge twenty years ago. It's probably on the list even today, because nothing changes there. The LOTR books are middle-English fan fiction in-jokes which take themselves too seriously, with a primary intended audience of monocled academics, and that's ok.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

:smaug:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

CuriousSymptoms posted:

We still had to use Tolkein's edition of Gawain and the Green Knight as an English set text at Cambridge twenty years ago. It's probably on the list even today, because nothing changes there. The LOTR books are middle-English fan fiction in-jokes which take themselves too seriously, with a primary intended audience of monocled academics, and that's ok.
Got to love that apocryphal story about how he started the Hobbit as a bedtime story and Christopher was wondering why the door color changed, and then he wrote LotR as a "mature extension" of The Hobbit for his kids. Like I'm not saying those things couldn't be true but I really don't think any of the text supports it.

Yes, I'm aware that I'm taking marketing too seriously. That's not why I'm saying it.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook

mystes posted:

That's really not true. The LD50 of caffeine is insanely high compared to quantities you're normally going to encounter in drinks.

Well friend, the amount in it was in fact enough to kill people.

And I don’t know if you’ve ever seen or been involved in a commercial liquid plant. I have. Even consulted for a while regarding plant automation. These are facilities that bottle everything from juice to boxed wine to soda all based on contract “recipes”. If you buy ocean spray cran more than a few hundred miles away they are probably created at two different, independently owned and operated facilities.

Its all completely recipe based and contracted out. Panera does not own a “lemonade factory” somewhere. They specify every ingredient to precision amounts and sub it.

Also things don’t just manifest into things. That caffeine was in there and they were aware. If I can be deeply cynical about it they probably put it there for sales related purposes and people should be held to account. There is zero chance that the facts lead to “huh, well I’ll be. Turns out a demonstrably lethal amount of caffeine just poofed in there. Gotta go, earnings call”

Basic Poster has a new favorite as of 19:29 on Dec 9, 2023

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
maybe those hearts just enjoyed panera so much they knew nothing more could compare and exploded in despair

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

mystes posted:

The problem isn't the ld50, it's the transition from ld0 to ld greater than 0 when dealing with a consumer population in the 7 digits. Could be the LD0.0001 and it'd still be a number of dead people

This turns out to have been the case, thus the news

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

not dying is a skill issue

mystes
May 31, 2006

Basic Poster posted:

Also things don’t just manifest into things. That caffeine was in there and they were aware. If I can be deeply cynical about it they probably put it there for sales related purposes and people should be held to account. There is zero chance that the facts lead to “huh, well I’ll be. Turns out a demonstrably lethal amount of caffeine just poofed in there. Gotta go, earnings call”
This was a product named "charged caffeine" that was specifically marketed as having caffeine and intended to have a high level of caffeine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IPMipknNrU

The issue was that the high level of the caffeine was labelled but not in a way that people necessarily noticed and this was an issue that people had been aware of for years.

I believe they made it slightly more visible after that, but still not in the form of an attention-grabing warning.

If you want to claim that the issue is that the drink had uneven levels of caffeine due to manufacturing issues and a higher level "poofed in there" feel free but as far as I'm aware you are literally the only person making that claim. Everyone else seems to agree on the basic facts that it was a lemonade that was intended to have a lot of caffeine and did have the large amount of caffeine it was intended to have, but which people were drinking without realizing that fact.

If someone with a heart condition who was avoiding caffeine chugged 4 5-hour energies and died, probably nobody would say that 5 hour energy should be taken off the market because of that. If someone with a heart condition who was avoiding caffeine chugged 8 cups of coffee and died, probably nobody would say that coffee should be taken off the market because of that. The difference is that 5-hour energy is obviously a product that is high in caffeine whereas lemonade at panera is not

mystes has a new favorite as of 19:45 on Dec 9, 2023

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Also to be fair if you are drinking a giant cup of lemonade you know it’s killing you anyway, if slower. Lemonade has a poo poo ton of sugar. It ideally shouldn’t be drunk in huge cups whether caffeinated or not. If you’re drinking multiple huge cups of lemonade you are drinking hundreds of grams of sugar. The charged lemonade has 105 grams of loving processed sugar in a thirty ounce cup! four of those a day multiple days a week (like that lady in the viral video) and you are taking in kilograms of added simple sugars on the regular! How the gently caress would anyone survive that even without the caffeine? It’s absolutely insane to ever drink even one whole one of those lemonades much less slam them down in sequence

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The problem is they put a shitload of caffeine in a fuckin lemonade. No one expects caffeine in lemonade, especially not like the equivalent of two energy drinks' worth. If you're a person who knows they should avoid caffeine for health reasons then you order the lemonade. There was probably a huge sampling bias of caffeine-intolerant people drinking this poo poo because other people would be getting coke or a coffee or whatever other normally caffeinated drinks that have significantly less caffeine.

other memes

Not memes but they reminded me of the exact dynamic my parents have so posting anyway:

Also not a meme but I got a good laugh out of it because I'd just been reading about some of the hosed up unethical poo poo they did in the 70s:

https://i.imgur.com/WFKl80l.mp4

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

bike tory posted:

Also not a meme but I got a good laugh out of it because I'd just been reading about some of the hosed up unethical poo poo they did in the 70s:

https://i.imgur.com/WFKl80l.mp4

This video has been the only file on my desktop all week, I watch it like my chronicles of riddick vhs

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

bike tory posted:

Not memes but they reminded me of the exact dynamic my parents have so posting anyway:

Honestly, my local Kroger's clearance cheese section can be loving awesome.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

cult_hero posted:

Honestly, my local Kroger's clearance cheese section can be loving awesome.

Kroger sucks generally but man do I like the swanky cheese section

mystes
May 31, 2006

I was afraid this was going to end with "btw those were all real lol"

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook

mystes posted:

If you want to claim that the issue is that the drink had uneven levels of caffeine due to manufacturing issues and a higher level "poofed in there" feel free but as far as I'm aware you are literally the only person making that claim.

Not saying that at all. I said the opposite. That the caffeine was intentionally added via production recipe and the decision to do so was for the worst possible reason (money) and that caused people to die.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Ok

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook
But go ahead and continue to solutioneer innocence for JAB holdings. That seems like a worthwhile thing to do with your saturday.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Cool

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

mystes posted:

I was afraid this was going to end with "btw those were all real lol"

Nah, if they were really 50s experiments, they’d all somehow be tied to nuclear weapons development.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Basic Poster posted:

Not saying that at all. I said the opposite. That the caffeine was intentionally added via production recipe and the decision to do so was for the worst possible reason (money) and that caused people to die.

Basic Poster posted:

But go ahead and continue to solutioneer innocence for JAB holdings. That seems like a worthwhile thing to do with your saturday.

PYF Memes: The Lemonade that Kills You and pisses people off

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Real quick, what are the sides here, “don’t care about Panera or its quarterly” vs “have Panera in weekly rotation and don’t want to imagine it suddenly turning into a Verizon store”

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

fartknocker posted:

Nah, if they were really 50s experiments, they’d all somehow be tied to nuclear weapons development.

Jerkin' off that one dolphin for next gen hydrogen bombs

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

bike tory posted:

The problem is they put a shitload of caffeine in a fuckin lemonade. No one expects caffeine in lemonade, especially not like the equivalent of two energy drinks' worth. If you're a person who knows they should avoid caffeine for health reasons then you order the lemonade. There was probably a huge sampling bias of caffeine-intolerant people drinking this poo poo because other people would be getting coke or a coffee or whatever other normally caffeinated drinks that have significantly less caffeine.

iirc, the amount of caffeine in the drink WAS labeled, but it just said "390mg of caffeine" or whatever and that's completely meaningless to most people so they didn't think twice about it or how much they were consuming. If someone knew they should avoid caffeine they probably did, but I imagine a lot of people with heart issues don't even know it and this was a really bad way to find out

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Basic Poster posted:

And I don’t know if you’ve ever seen or been involved in a commercial liquid plant. I have. Even consulted for a while regarding plant automation. These are facilities that bottle everything from juice to boxed wine to soda all based on contract “recipes”. If you buy ocean spray cran more than a few hundred miles away they are probably created at two different, independently owned and operated facilities.

Its all completely recipe based and contracted out. Panera does not own a “lemonade factory” somewhere. They specify every ingredient to precision amounts and sub it.

Why do you hate freedom?

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Imagine getting all worked up over some caffeiney lemonade instead of drinking seventeen cups of tea every day :britain:

Bogmonster has a new favorite as of 22:22 on Dec 9, 2023

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I recommend this:

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

The best Christmas movie is Better Off Dead.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

Data Graham posted:

Real quick, what are the sides here, “don’t care about Panera or its quarterly” vs “have Panera in weekly rotation and don’t want to imagine it suddenly turning into a Verizon store”
From the moment they took ham off their breakfast sandwich menu, Panera can burn in hell.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Basic Poster posted:

What do you think LD50 means? It does not mean "this kills everyone who drinks it", or "this might kill someone, if you find the right person", it means "this kills 50% of people who drink it".

The statement is simply that the LD50 of caffeine is extremely high. That's all. There are outliers, for whom caffeine is much more dangerous at lower concentrations. But it isn't the case that half of everyone who has one of the lemonades has a heart attack and dies.

People are pointing out that the amount of caffeine in the lemonade is high but not actually high enough to threaten the life of the majority of people. That's all. Absolutely nobody is saying that nobody has died, that Panera are blameless, or that nothing should be done.

Hyperlynx has a new favorite as of 23:29 on Dec 9, 2023

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

freeedr posted:

I recommend this:

I;m thinking about thos bairns

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Living with Nathen Mazri will do that

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

So what were the fads of the 60s or 80s or 2000s that I was excited about but died an untimely death, and the smarter old people were just smiling and patiently waiting them out because they recognized them as the short-lived stupid ideas they were? I can't remember.

(As opposed to the genuinely good advances that the old people of the day dismissed as idiotic but missed the boat on, like the Internet or Mario Intendo)

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Data Graham posted:

So what were the fads of the 60s or 80s or 2000s that I was excited about but died an untimely death, and the smarter old people were just smiling and patiently waiting them out because they recognized them as the short-lived stupid ideas they were? I can't remember.

Cargo shorts.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

buying a house

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Your mom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

(Obviously I ask just to reassure myself that I am not being stupid and out of touch and diving headlong into the grave prematurely by mocking AI)