Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Nah that's still just a squig

This is a technical

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Meatlong Football posted:

I've been pining for a nazdreg rerelease or maybe ghaz' top mekaniak orkimedes but this will do nicely. Squig with gun on head is pretty good. Does that make the squig a technical?

Thats Princess and they are a very good squig

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Lostconfused posted:

Nah that's still just a squig

This is a technical

This is a cool model, but I think the photo might have been slightly better if they had a darker background, given the bright white armour.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
After a month of being back in the hobby:

Pros: the models are nicer. They fit together way better and things look less goofy (for the one faction I play). The simpler rules are better.

Cons: Models are very specific on how you fit things together so I have hosed up a few times not noticing that THIS leg is different.

Biggest Con: GW supply chain issues. I'm not buying at MSRP but if the source has issues, then you're hosed anyway. I find I am building the army I can find as opposed to the army I want which is far less fun.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I think the models are pretty straight forward as long as you like, can follow the instructions and use the right pieces in sequence. I feel like there's a lot of people who just cut out a bunch of parts and are like okay let's see if I can figure out this puzzle on my own.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
The other trick is all the parts are numbered sequentially. Part 2 is going to go onto part 3 and so forth. You will almost never get a part numbered 2 somehow joining with part 37. So with a typical humanoid will have between 5-6 parts and 1-6 will be guy #1, 7-12 will be #2 and so on.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
I'm gonna get that guy. My dudes are bad moons and I primed my battlewagon black before I settled on that so it looks kinda lovely but that's the vibe.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Eej posted:

I think the models are pretty straight forward as long as you like, can follow the instructions and use the right pieces in sequence. I feel like there's a lot of people who just cut out a bunch of parts and are like okay let's see if I can figure out this puzzle on my own.

yeah im a dumbass and i needed a lot of the 2part epoxy to make my models go togetger :(

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Are there any thread favorite 3rd party tokens for gameplay? Didnt get any results from a search on "tokens" or "acrylic tokens"

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

OctaMurk posted:

yeah im a dumbass and i needed a lot of the 2part epoxy to make my models go togetger :(

Google/call around to see if any of your local hobby stores carry this stuff. You just press the appropriate plastic pieces together then dab the gap with extra thin and it will melt the pieces together. It makes building models incredibly easy (as long as they are plastic).

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Yeah, I've gotten a handle on it since my first couple of models. Back when I was last playing most models were a giant lump of metal. It was just surprising that I had to actually assemble them like, well, models!

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Eej posted:

Google/call around to see if any of your local hobby stores carry this stuff. You just press the appropriate plastic pieces together then dab the gap with extra thin and it will melt the pieces together. It makes building models incredibly easy (as long as they are plastic).

Will that fill in the gaps?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

goodness posted:

Are there any thread favorite 3rd party tokens for gameplay? Didnt get any results from a search on "tokens" or "acrylic tokens"

Where are you searching? The best place to look is Etsy.

https://www.etsy.com/uk/search?q=warhammer%20tokens&ref=search_bar

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

OctaMurk posted:

Will that fill in the gaps?

Plastic cement's whole gimmick is that it is thin enough (at least the Tamiya thin is) to slide inside the cracks between dry-fitted models and then, with about ten seconds of pressure (depending on the weight/angle of the pieces) are bonded pretty well, and after 24 hours are basically the same hunk of plastic. So--no, doesn't fill gaps--however, if you have an extra bottle and drop some chunks of sprue in there, it will dissolve the plastic and create some "sprue goop" that you can use to both easily slide into gaps, fill gaps, and also adhere stuff pretty well. Takes longer to dry, and requires a little shaping because otherwise it dries super smooth, but it's very useful.

Eej posted:

Yeah this is me sometimes, though mostly with models I've built before. I've built so many space marines I could probably do a bits bag of them blind.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Most modern 40k kits are designed with plastic cement in mind and will be have substantially fewer gaps if you use it over regular glue or epoxy. The only exceptions are very flat angles like the corners of vehicles and stupid things like the shoulderpads of Sororitas models that are two pieces that meet at the middle.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
It's also not too hard to use plastic cement to melt enough plastic so that you can use it to fill any tiny gaps.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Dang, you've sold me, maybe still using super glue is part of my frustration with modern dynamic pose models.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I've put together 20 Cadians with thin cement and I've had a problem maybe with one or two out of all of them.

And I don't miss the sticky messed up fingers from super glue tbh, no matter how nostalgic that might be.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Super glue is cursed

I actually prefer metal models most of the time because I’m hundreds of years old and mostly paint historicals, but having to use super glue is the worst.

Plastic cement is great; just make sure you don’t accidentally touch any part of the model where it’s present and hasn’t dried, because you’ll leave a really obvious fingerprint.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I think a lot about using that drawback for an Elden Ring themed dude

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Eej posted:

I think a lot about using that drawback for an Elden Ring themed dude

Is it just me or is this the helmet of Sir Glans of Bell End?

IllustriousChen
Feb 16, 2012

Genghis Cohen posted:

Is it just me or is this the helmet of Sir Glans of Bell End?

Please see a doctor.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah I accidentally got a thumbprint on the arm of a poxwalker but I looked at it and went, well, it's a disease ridden zombie, if anything is gonna have a hosed up looking wrinkly arm it'd be them.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

I meant searching in the thread for common recommendations, don't want to be someone who asks without looking first. I found a bunch on etsy for sure.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/12/10/sunday-preview-kill-team-salvation-stalks-into-view/

The new Kill Team box, Salvation, goes up for preorder on December 23rd.
Same with the new terrain as well.

If you somehow didn't get extra Leviathan nids, the stand alone releases will go up on the 23rd as well.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Those Scorpions look really cool… all 4? of the poses

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

They're all standing on some kind of boulder, some sculptor at GW is getting carried away with this poo poo.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Considering they're on an ocean world for this one, that's quite the feat.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Just a reminder that Victoria Lamb makes a great selection of guard wiredos:

https://victoriaminiatures.com/

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Lostconfused posted:

They're all standing on some kind of boulder, some sculptor at GW is getting carried away with this poo poo.

Just muck over it with whatever you use to make your bases more interesting in the first place.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Professor Shark posted:

Those Scorpions look really cool… all 4? of the poses

It's five poses. You can tell because it comes with two of the little statues; it's two identical sprues. Later they'll be sold separately in packs of five for the same price as ten intercessors, like the other new plastic aspect warriors.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I’m looking forward to them. I’m really glad GW is slowly updating the Aspect Warrior models. Some of them have been languishing in Fine Cast for too long.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The post from 2 months ago has photos of the miniatures if that's what you want to see

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/10/14/warhammer-day-preview-scorpions-and-scouts-skirmish-above-savage-seas/

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
I had my first full 1000 point fight with my Custodes against a friend's Imperial Guard. I brought

pre:
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+ FACTION KEYWORD: Imperium - Adeptus Custodes
+ DETACHMENT: Shield Host
+ TOTAL ARMY POINTS: 1000pts
+
+ WARLORD: Char1: Shield-Captain
+ ENHANCEMENT: 
+ NUMBER OF UNITS: 7
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

CHARACTER

Char1: Blade Champion (120pts)
• 1x Vault sword

Char2: Shield-Captain (140pts)
• 1x Sentinel Blade
• 1x Warlord

BATTLELINE

5x Custodian Guard (250pts)
• 5x Custodian Guard (Guardian Spear)
 • 5 with Guardian Spear

4x Custodian Guard (200pts)
• 4x Custodian Guard (Guardian Spear)
 • 4 with Guardian Spear

4x Prosecutors (40pts)
• 1x Prosecutor Sister Superior
 • 1 with Boltgun, Close combat weapon
• 3x Prosecutor
 • 3 with Boltgun, Close combat weapon

4x Prosecutors (40pts)
• 1x Prosecutor Sister Superior
 • 1 with Boltgun, Close combat weapon
• 3x Prosecutor
 • 3 with Boltgun, Close combat weapon

OTHER DATASHEETS

3x Allarus Custodians (210pts)
• 3x Allarus Custodian (Castellan Axe)
 • 3 with Castellan Axe, Balistus Grenade Launcher
And he brought

pre:
Death Corps (20 models)
Leman Russ Exterminator
Field Ordnance Battery
Scout Sentinel
Lord Solar
Attilan Rough Riders (10 models)
Ksarkin
Taurox
Enginseer
His models were lovely painted and in particular he had a nice Taurox conversion. But the game itself went horribly for me, and I conceded at the end of turn three, when I had only six models left. Apart from rolling somewhat below average initially, I must have made some tactical mistakes, because he was able to fire pretty much all his guns in every shooting phase. Probably we did not have enough terrain for blocking line-of-sight, but in a friendly game where one army is melee-focused and one is shooting-focused, I'm not exactly sure how to balance it. I could fill the map with walls, but that seems cheesy. We also had a map layout where our deployment zones were along the short edges, meaning I had a lot of distance to cover.

At least anything of his that made it into melee range melted instantly. My biggest regret is that my Allarus Custodians (terminators) died without really doing anything interesting. My plan had been to deep strike them to take out the Leman Russ, but his army was all crammed together, which made it hard to anything in there.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
GW recommended terrain looks like this

It should be impossible for anyone to just sit back and shoot your army with abandon

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
Are all the green parts expected to block line of sight, or just provide cover?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Athas posted:

Are all the green parts expected to block line of sight, or just provide cover?

The rectangles are ruin bases, the green parts are actual buildings. You can't shoot over two edges of a ruin, being fully inside a ruin or partially obscured by the edge of a ruin gives you cover, and buildings block LOS.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Jesus Christ

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Safety Factor posted:

Jesus Christ

If you don't have this much poo poo on the table you're going to be swiss cheesed by Tau or Guard every game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Regarding terrain, more is more