Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Mustached Demon posted:

I'm ok with just taking the L on my team not paying $700,000,000.

The Gugenheim Group that owns the Dodgers control more than $300 billion in assets, Ohtani's contract is a drop in the bucket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

R.D. Mangles posted:

btw, there is no salary cap in major league baseball

On a totally unrelated note, Shohei just signed for 50% more money than LeBron James has been paid in his career

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Now that he officially signed I can say it: Ohtani is underpaid

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

holy poo poo that's absolutely disgusting

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

If a team makes $300m a year, they aren't going to invest $280m++ in player salaries. Why do some sports fans seem to think that every billionaire should be Howard Hughes levels of crazy and run the club as a revenue negative operation just so they can flash a giant ring at the country club. I don't know for certain, but I don't think even Ted Turner did that.

Because having that amount of money without at the very least doing something cool with it should get you gunned down in the street.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

If a team makes $300m a year, they aren't going to invest $280m++ in player salaries. Why do some sports fans seem to think that every billionaire should be Howard Hughes levels of crazy and run the club as a revenue negative operation just so they can flash a giant ring at the country club. I don't know for certain, but I don't think even Ted Turner did that.
because the franchise value appreciates so fast they can still make money running at annual net negative

Also because that is what sports teams are: toys that billionaires can use to flex on their billionaire friends

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

ohtani is not worth 700 million dollars sorry

baseball players are comically overpaid to begin with but that's a truly sickening amount of money

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Well, that sucks the Jays didn't get Ohtani, so I guess they'll just have to settle for the second-best dual hitter/pitcher in free agency this year.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Every version of “wow $700M is too much I’m glad my team didn’t get him” is predictable cope.

But it is ok, as Ohtani’s new best friend I have been deputized to forgive all of you for these transgressions against Our Perfect Boy Shohei. He understands that this is part of your grieving process, and in his infinite compassion he will welcome you back into the fold once you are ready.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

mods please update the thread title to The 700 Million Dollar Man (RIP Wallet)

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Ohtani is the biggest star in Japan and brings a massive amount of coverage with him, sells a gently caress ton of merchandise, and produces at the highest level on the field. Japan is going to be hugely focused on the Dodgers now which is something they did not have before

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bawfuls posted:

because the franchise value appreciates so fast they can still make money running at annual net negative

Also because that is what sports teams are: toys that billionaires can use to flex on their billionaire friends

Also, owners have some other huge-rear end multi-billion dollar company that they own alongside the team, people who act like the team owners can't possibly afford to have low/no margins on the MLB side (even ignoring the more than ample cushion those owners have for losing some money) are just carrying water.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

triple sulk posted:

baseball players are comically overpaid to begin with but that's a truly sickening amount of money

why is it a sickening amount of money for ohtani to get and not the people who have enough money to pay him to have

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Nodoze posted:

Ohtani is the biggest star in Japan and brings a massive amount of coverage with him, sells a gently caress ton of merchandise, and produces at the highest level on the field. Japan is going to be hugely focused on the Dodgers now which is something they did not have before

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

mods please update the thread title to The 700 Million Dollar Man (RIP Wallet)
seconded

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Baseball players aren't overpaid, other sports are underpaid

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Nodoze posted:

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if he went Dodgers over some other crazy offer because of what it means for his following (the writers from Japan, fans who want to travel across the world, etc). LA and OC are pretty much the same place if your perspective is someone coming from as far away as Japan, since you're arriving at LAX either way.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

now it's official
https://x.com/MagicJohnson/status/1733600505182773539?s=20
https://x.com/MagicJohnson/status/1733600601177731435?s=20

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Dec 9, 2023

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Just caught up, why didn't anyone think to monitor the flights from Anaheim to Los Angeles?!

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Kirios posted:

As someone whose team never had a chance to sign Shohei this entire saga has been highly entertaining.

:yeah:

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Just saw the news and :goddamn:

Though it’ll be hilarious* when he still can’t get a ring with the Dodgers.

* but also sad

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Nodoze posted:

Baseball players aren't overpaid, other sports are underpaid

There are NBA players no one has ever heard of who make like 22 million a year.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

$700 million is a lot of money. I would like to have it.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
feels bad to have to root against Ohtani but he signed with Evil Empire West so

Glad he got the bag though, good for him

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

triple sulk posted:

If the owners make a dime, the players are not overpaid.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

fast cars loose anus posted:

feels bad to have to root against Ohtani but he signed with Evil Empire West so

Glad he got the bag though, good for him

Yep, he deserves every cent.

But now I have to hope he never does see the World Series

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

mcmagic posted:

Often for only a few minutes of gametime. NHL is in a weirder spot because for many years they had to compete against a league run by Russian oligarchs who often outbid the NHL on raw dollar value.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mcmagic posted:

and yet the best players are extremely underpaid, because there is a max contract

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Teddybear posted:

This isn't the WORST team he could've signed with, objectively, but it's definitely among the least fun.

Yeah, definitely could be worse but it's also just so... predictable

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

Craptacular! posted:

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if he went Dodgers over some other crazy offer because of what it means for his following (the writers from Japan, fans who want to travel across the world, etc). LA and OC are pretty much the same place if your perspective is someone coming from as far away as Japan, since you're arriving at LAX either way.

We’ll see what comes out, but I doubt anyone else was trying to throw that much at him. I do think him going to the Dodgers is mutually beneficial. Being in that prime West Coast location and just being LA will give them a lot of opportunity to capitalize on marketing and merch that somewhere like Atlanta wouldn’t be able to capitalize on to the same extent. Anyone could make money off him, but I do think the Dodgers are uniquely positioned to really make a killing.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/SamBlum3/status/1733621553492021432

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

It’s not your money.

Dodger Dogs are going to cost $30 next year.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
700 mil/10 years would be too much for Jesus Christ, even if Jesus Christ was the best baseball player in the world, and He lands you a bigger fanbase than Japan.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

R.D. Mangles posted:

it's not my money, there exists no amount of money that the cubs could pay a baseball player where i would not be upset that the player had it instead of the ricketts family

100%

Even if the Cubs signed Ohtani and he never was as good as he has been (he will be) I would be happy they went for it just to give us fans the joy of seeing that man play for our team. If you wanna get mad about athletes getting paid, take a look at whose paying them in the first place.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

live with fruit posted:

The secret is: They would cost that much even if the Dodgers paid $70 million for their entire 26-man roster

I went to a Nationals game this year, an organization that is in the process of stripping everything down to the studs, and poo poo wasn’t cheap. They’re not passing the savings on to you

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

live with fruit posted:

this is owner propaganda

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

bawfuls posted:

this is owner propaganda

"My billionaire owner is better than yours" is owner propaganda.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

live with fruit posted:

"My billionaire owner is better than yours" is owner propaganda.
They’re all poo poo

That’s why I’m glad when more of their money ends up in the pocket of baseball players

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

:cry: my heart is broken

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

bawfuls posted:

They’re all poo poo

That’s why I’m glad when more of their money ends up in the pocket of baseball players

Player, singular. And Ohtani's getting this because they can slap his face on a bunch of poo poo at an unprecedented scale. It's all poo poo.