Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZHYoBWjEdg

:hmmyes:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

r u ready to WALK posted:

to be frank I'd be at full mast too if I had that IIfx

i do have this transparent se/30 with a carrera040 but it's not nearly as cool since all the expansions are newly made clone cards

Nice SE/30. I have been tempted to remove the 40MHz 030 and its FPU from an Amiga 1200 accelerator and see if it will go into my SE/30. Was your Rominator loose in your ROM socket?

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Nope, the rominator just clicked in and worked without having to fiddle with the slot, never noticed if it was thinner than the original.
I don't know if there are different revisions with different pcb thickness or if some motherboards have dodgier rom slots.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Retro Recipes posted a vid today about his journey installing and using the fax machine.

The most interesting thing was how his British person found out that while fax machines were harshly just about banned in England fax machines are still widely used in the US by mainly the medical field.

The video is here
https://youtu.be/P1Hn0O8uZr4

And he set it up so you can send comments to the dedicated fax number here: +1 747 PERIFAX (7374329)*

I might have to send him this very important comment right now. Puts three black pieces of construction paper taped together mid scan

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Honestly, I'm kinda coming back around to fax, I think Japan has a point holding on (some) to old tech like it. There are so many occasions where it would be so easy to just send a fax and know that someone at the other end has a hard copy of what you just sent at the moment you sent it, instead of having to gently caress around with scanning documents and emailing pdf's or even god forbid taking crappy pictures of your mobile and fiddling around cropping them and trying to make them look presentable just because you can't be arsed to walk all the way to the nearest scanner/printer just for one piece of paper.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

barbecue at the folks posted:

Honestly, I'm kinda coming back around to fax, I think Japan has a point holding on (some) to old tech like it. There are so many occasions where it would be so easy to just send a fax and know that someone at the other end has a hard copy of what you just sent at the moment you sent it, instead of having to gently caress around with scanning documents and emailing pdf's or even god forbid taking crappy pictures of your mobile and fiddling around cropping them and trying to make them look presentable just because you can't be arsed to walk all the way to the nearest scanner/printer just for one piece of paper.

So you're willing to walk to a fax machine but not a scanner? These days they're usually the same machine.

I guess it was 10 years ago when I worked someplace with a fax machine still hooked up, but there was still fax spam coming through. Usually something about a free cruise. Can you still call it obsolete if it's being used to scam people?

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
And that's assuming the receiving end isn't using a virtual fax service, that will just produce a PDF in their email or some shared inbox that get checked once a week or as-needed.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I work in a field where fax is still common, and I have developed a new appreciation of it in the last few years. I can fax records directly out of our database, and it is incredibly slick. And our main copier/printer/scanner/fax unit is fast and easy. Last week I had to send a ridiculous of my own personal information to a new doctor, and rather than gently caress with scanning and then either emailing it in the clear (which seemed to be what they expected) or possibly having to do tech support for them in order to send it encrypted, I just threw it in the fax machine and didn't have to worry about any of that.

Yeah, it's old tech, but for some purposes it Just Works.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Fax is still a thing in US law because it’s considered “secure” (haha). So there are still some things that can only be filed via fax or ground mail.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I think it's because of the requirement of a wet signature, and we at my federal job can't verify if a document was signed by the taxpayer or not if it's an electronic signature.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Unless you see it done in person, how can you verify a signature whether it's digital or "wet"?

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I work in a field where fax is still common, and I have developed a new appreciation of it in the last few years. I can fax records directly out of our database, and it is incredibly slick.

I'm a gun nut and fax still gets used to scoot federal firearms license info between parties for the same reasons.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Gromit posted:

Unless you see it done in person, how can you verify a signature whether it's digital or "wet"?

I don't know. I just answer phones and it's something I have to look for. We just don't accept electronic, printed, stamped, or photocopied signatures on paper documents.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Star Man posted:

I don't know. I just answer phones and it's something I have to look for. We just don't accept electronic, printed, stamped, or photocopied signatures on paper documents.

So uh we're all just quietly ignoring the part where a modern fax is just a photocopy with a phone line and a massive quality loss between the "scan" and "print" parts, right?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Computer viking posted:

So uh we're all just quietly ignoring the part where a modern fax is just a photocopy with a phone line and a massive quality loss between the "scan" and "print" parts, right?

exactly glad you get it

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
A photo of my signature on a multiply layer is how I've always signed everything and everyone else does it too. :ssh:

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Dip Viscous posted:

A photo of my signature on a multiply layer is how I've always signed everything and everyone else does it too. :ssh:

The process at work is:
- First, check if you've already got your signature loaded in Adobe Reader
-- If not, scrawl it on the back of a paper you're reading or similar, take a photo with your phone, and mail it to the work mail
-- Crop it and try to adjust the brightness/contrast so the background is 100% white, typically with Office 2007's image editor tool
- Plop it into place with Reader, save, and send it

We've never had a complaint, but this is academia.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Star Man posted:

Yeah sorry mate, I wasn't trying to call you out specifically - you are bound by the rules your work puts on you. I wrote that just to voice my view of how ridiculous and outdated that process is. I had the same thing when I had to send a death certificate to my late father's bank. They demanded a fax as it was deemed more secure/legal/proper, ignoring that I could scan it, edit it, and then print and fax that.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Computer viking posted:

The IRS doesn't accept printed, photocopied, stamped, or electronic signatures on documents sent in by paper. Yes, I am aware that a faxed image that I receive while on the phone with a taxpayer in the unlikely chance they can fax a document to me for verification when I need to get them through disclosure is effectively a photocopy.

Look, I want automatic filing of tax returns, a faster processing timeframe of clearing tax professionals to represent someone to the IRS by phone or whatever, if we didn't take a hundred million billion years to get a tax refund of a deceased individual out to an authorized person, and if a lot of information locked away in state records were accessible to the IRS too, but I don't represent a firm that would lose a lot of money if that were to be the case.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Is this also why we still rely on stenography in court proceedings, because in this age of miracle and wonder, automatic transcription or even just recording of audio is considered witchcraft?

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Data Graham posted:

Is this also why we still rely on stenography in court proceedings, because in this age of miracle and wonder, automatic transcription or even just recording of audio is considered witchcraft?

you cannot rely on automatic transcription for things as important as court transcripts, and it needs to be in text so it's searchable, and audio is thousands of times bigger than text.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

I'm sorry but who the hell decided that this thing needed two rechargeable ni-cd batteries for the fricking clock? The function that most devices use a button cell for? It's almost like they wanted the thing to self-destruct in an early attempt at planned obsolescence or something.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

You Am I posted:

Nice SE/30. I have been tempted to remove the 40MHz 030 and its FPU from an Amiga 1200 accelerator and see if it will go into my SE/30. Was your Rominator loose in your ROM socket?

It will work but it will still just run at 15mhz.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I was photoshopping signatures into documents 25 years ago (for valid reasons). The idea that a signature on a faxed document is more trustworthy/valid than on a digital one is absolutely laughable.

Collateral Damage has a new favorite as of 15:54 on Dec 10, 2023

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Has any goon ever posted a QL clone? Like an Odin or whatever the gently caress they were called?

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
Switchblade Switcharoo

Dicty Bojangles posted:

Fax is still a thing in US law because it’s considered “secure” (haha). So there are still some things that can only be filed via fax or ground mail.

Technically, as long as the receiver location is controlled and disposal and/or storage is completely documented/processed, it is secure in a weird way.

Compare to using email/file shares which is one Kerberoast away from accessing "all"

People trying to infiltrate a company would not be tapping into the phone lines to catch those juicy faxes. They'll be trying to access the systems where the fax information will be stored into.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

EVIL Gibson posted:

Technically, as long as the receiver location is controlled and disposal and/or storage is completely documented/processed, it is secure in a weird way.

1. Obscurity is not ‘secure in a weird way’
2. Phone lines are easily tapped
And if not 2,
3. The fax is almost certainly going through a voip service so it’s not even unexposed to network threats.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Any place I've ever worked with faxes in the last fifteen years they've been piped directly into a document management system anyway so even if the fax itself is considered "secure" it goes straight into a computer so it might as well just be an email. I don't know if they even have any special legal status in the UK.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Fil5000 posted:

Any place I've ever worked with faxes in the last fifteen years they've been piped directly into a document management system anyway so even if the fax itself is considered "secure" it goes straight into a computer so it might as well just be an email. I don't know if they even have any special legal status in the UK.

At least if the fax is transmitted and scanned in it doesn't allow idiots to click on random links.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Star Man posted:

The IRS doesn't accept printed, photocopied, stamped, or electronic signatures on documents sent in by paper.

didn't they start doing that during covid?

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

I've sent three faxes in my entire life, all of them were to americans, and all of them were trivial poo poo that could have been an email. None of them were important or anything that needed to be legally traceable or whatever, so i don't buy that reasoning, it's just an excuse.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://x.com/obsoletesony/status/1734120838633513181?s=46&t=GxZoSKgPzb_-zyUnvLFKvg

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
The singular time I've ever faxed anything was from jail, because it's meant to be punishment.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Getting booked at the precinct

“Don’t I get my one fax?”

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

A surprising number of the restaurants that you see on the big food delivery websites and apps simply refuse to modernize, and will only take online orders via the grubby old fax machine in the manager's office.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Only times in my life I've sent a fax was in the early 2000s when we didn't have online tax systems yet and I had procrastinated sending in my forms and the only way to get quick processing was to fax them. Luckily the office I worked at still had one.

It got a lot nicer when the tax office got a website where you fill in a number and you get a PDF with your tax rate to send your employer.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I am pretty sure Staples only stays open cause you can fax stuff from there.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

EVIL Gibson posted:

At least if the fax is transmitted and scanned in it doesn't allow idiots to click on random links.

You overestimate people if you think they can’t get scammed by fax. They’ll just hand type the blatantly fake address it tells them to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

All the faxing I have to do is via software, receiving end is the same. Sending electronically signed (typed signature) PDFs over the phone line.