Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Final Fantasy 16 probably won't get a lot of play for game of the year despite being a solid entry in the series after wandering in the wilderness for a bit (MMO aside). Despite how much I know Baldur's Gate 3 is my personal choice for GOTY, when 'Find the Flame' kicks in during FF16 is probably my favorite moment in a narrative this year. There's so many good cutscenes and acting performances in FF16 in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

FF16 has probably the most hype moments out of the games I played this year. The DLC they just dropped yesterday helps too.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Harlock posted:

Final Fantasy 16 probably won't get a lot of play for game of the year despite being a solid entry in the series after wandering in the wilderness for a bit (MMO aside). Despite how much I know Baldur's Gate 3 is my personal choice for GOTY, when 'Find the Flame' kicks in during FF16 is probably my favorite moment in a narrative this year. There's so many good cutscenes and acting performances in FF16 in general.

I agree with everything here but I can't blame anyone for not ranking it highly. It had some of the best moments of the year, the combat and abilities were awesome, the music and characters were incredible.... and then you had to do 10 sidequests to unlock the next story moment and your only option was to put on a podcast and disassociate through it.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Harlock posted:

Yeah, that specific moment was my #1 gaming moment this year. CBU III was firing on all cylinders for that one.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Thanks for the replies on my thoughts about BG3 deserving goty more than TOTK.

I just hope i'm not too stupid to understand its combat and other systems.

What I would love to see, for a collectors edition of special games on PC, is a fancy box, like they used to do in the early to mid 90's:

https://gizmodo.com/when-pc-game-packaging-was-a-work-of-art-1846416679

Maybe even put a hologram on that bitch.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

ChocNitty posted:

Thanks for the replies on my thoughts about BG3 deserving goty more than TOTK.

I just hope i'm not too stupid to understand its combat and other systems.

What I would love to see, for a collectors edition of special games on PC, is a fancy box, like they used to do in the early to mid 90's:

https://gizmodo.com/when-pc-game-packaging-was-a-work-of-art-1846416679

Maybe even put a hologram on that bitch.

loving hell talk about an explosion of nostalgia the moment I clicked that link :D

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Completed 45 games this year, and this was definitely the toughest time I've had deciding on a top ten in a while. So I decided to list my top 15

Honorable mention
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - I replayed this at the start of the year for the current-gen upgrade, and it remains my favorite game of all time. I chose not to include it in my rankings though because while the upgrade is fantastic, a game that I'm beating for the fourth time feels like something outside of a GOTY list for me. But it's still great, and I love it.

15. Assassins Creed Mirage – An extremely polished execution of the old-school Assassins Creed format, focused on stealth and striking from the shadows.

14. Control – This was a replay for me, after dipping into the other Remedy games this year I decided to revisit Control (and play the DLCs for the first time) and found it to be just as good as I remembered.

13. Kentucky Route Zero – What a strange little game, but I was captivated by it all the way through.

12. Hardspace Shipbreaker – This became one of my go-to “chill out and listen to music/podcasts” games this year, and it actually had an interesting story to boot!

11. Night in the Woods – This was a game I'd heard about for a while but never really considered. Picked it up on sale after some recommendations, and found it to be every bit the weird and emotionally-affecting piece of art that everyone said it was.

10. Hogwarts Legacy – This might be one of the best open worlds I've ever seen in a game. The traversal was great, the environments were beautiful and intricately designed, and it was just a joy to play (even for someone like me who has no history at all with the source material).

9. Final Fantasy XVI – The game looks incredible, the combat system is fun and engaging, and the set pieces are nearly unmatched for me this year.

8. Spiritfarer – Easily my biggest surprise of the year. Started it because it was free on PS+ and I needed a game to bridge the gap between some bigger releases. 50 hours later I was at the end of a beautiful and touching journey that had a lot of things to say about death and the ways in which we deal with it. The second I finished Spiritfarer I knew it had a place on my list.

7. Powerwash Simulator – Maybe the best chill-out game I've ever played. There's a fun little story to be followed if you feel so inclined, but mostly I just found it imminently satisfying to clean up every inch of those filthy, filthy maps.

6. Horizon Forbidden West: The Burning Shores – It's rare that I include pure expansions on my lists, but how could I resist when I got more of my #1 game from last year? This extra chapter in Aloy's story actually did a great job of expanding and paying off her emotional arc from the base game, and on top of that featured very cool environments and great action.

5. Citizen Sleeper – One of three games I bought purely on the strength of last year's GOTY thread, and easily the one that hit me the hardest. Once I got into the game's unique mechanics, I was able to really enjoy the story and its delicate balance of beauty and bleakness. An extremely well-told narrative that may have even brought a tear to my eye in the end.

4. Marvel's Spider-Man 2 – This was definitely one of my most anticipated games of the year, and it delivered on the hype. Everything I loved about the first game and Miles Morales was present here as well, with a few new wrinkles that made the experience even better. The only thing kept it from my top two spots is that it felt a little light in terms of content, but what was there was everything I expected.

3. Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty – Truthfully, this ranking is also impacted by the massive overhaul the base game received as part of the DLC, which made a game I already loved even better. But even beyond that, the Phantom Liberty story and new location rank comfortably among the best elements that the game as a whole has to offer. Cyberpunk was never a game that I felt needed to make anything up to me, but with this expansion it provided a perfect end to this particular chapter, and made me very excited for what is to come.

2. Alan Wake 2 – Prior to this year, I was only vaguely aware of Alan Wake. I had played Control a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it, and I heard people talk about how it was in the same universe as some weird old game about a mystery writer, but I never really looked into it. Then, earlier this year, the remastered version of Alan Wake showed up as a free PS+ game, so I figured I'd give it a try. The game was fine, and in fact just missed my top 20 for the year. But it stuck with me enough that when the sequel came out and was getting rave reviews, I took a chance and bought it. That chance was rewarded in a big way. Alan Wake 2 is a lovingly-crafted and ambitious game that is completely unafraid to take big swings. It builds upon the first game better than maybe any sequel I've ever played, and becomes its own strange, incredible piece of art in the process.

1. Star Wars Jedi: Survivor – I was a big fan of Fallen Order, but it was a game that was limited by technical issues and some iffy design choices. So when Survivor was announced I was cautiously optimistic, but not expecting a game that would top my year-end list. I am a true sucker for a well-done big open-world game, and this is exactly that. Like Horizon Forbidden West last year, Jedi Survivor tops my list because it gave me a nearly-ideal gaming experience. Once I finished it I said to myself “I think this is my GOTY,” and nothing I played the rest of the year made me reconsider.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

hello it's me!!

let me do some honorable mentions first!!

Strange Horticulture - this was a very cool little puzzle game about plants, and murder! love those!
Dredge - this was another very cool little game about fish, and eldritch horror! excellent!
Against the Storm - this city builder is the only roguelike/roguelite i've ever actually enjoyed playing! very nice!
Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective - this is one of my favorite games of all time and it got a remastered PC version! hell yes!

and now on to the list! (all of the video clips have sound as well! please enjoy!!)

https://i.imgur.com/9bZIeew.mp4
10. Wo Long - Though a smaller scale overall than Nioh 2 this game had a lot of cool mechanic ideas. Out of the 4 soulslikes I played this year I think this one ended up being the hardest. Do not persue Lu Bu.
(this game gets bonus points for being the only game I've ever seen that lets you jump and grab on to a ladder part way up. more games should do that.)

https://i.imgur.com/AjUv0zr.mp4
9. Wild Hearts - We finally got a possible competitor to Monster Hunter! It looks great, plays great, is fun as hell but unfortunately it ran kinda bad at launch and the poor first impressions drove most prospective players away, and the devs have ended support for the game. :( Such a drat shame. Had a lot of really cool system designs that really set it apart from the usual MH fare. The karakuri building especially is such a unique system. The game OOZES style all around. It's on gamepass now and definitely worth giving a shot!

8. Nioh 2 - I played the poo poo out of this game. All the way up to new game +3. Absolutely fun from start to finish, with a satisfying progression curve. Sick weapons, fun ninja stuff, cool spells, tons of enemy variety. They rehashed the plot of this game for the plot of Wo Long and that is pretty funny, but I think this game is still superior. Japan > China that's right I said it

https://i.imgur.com/9pO4o4J.mp4
7. Street Fighter 6 - The real draw of this game for me was never going to be the competitive scene. It was always going to be World Tour mode. It is a legit full-fledged run-around-and-beat-people-up RPG with a whole rear end character creator, main quests, side quests, minigames, the works. It's chock full of references to older SF and other Capcom games that all went over my head but I beat up a progressively harder series of Andores for a pair of angel wings.

6. Harvestella - This game caught me by surprise. I had skimmed over people's posts about it last year and knew there was something interesting about it, but managed to avoid spoilers. MAN this game. The gameplay is serviceable but that's not the draw here. You can farm crops and fight monsters but the real deal is the story. This story GOES PLACES. It goes places that will knock you upside the head completely out of left field. It's fantastic. I loved it, this is the kind of poo poo I play games for. Also Dianthus is just SO GOD drat COOL

https://i.imgur.com/yAaXj6o.mp4
5. Lords of the Fallen - Do not sleep on this game! If you love Dark Souls try this game out. It carries the legacy of the original game being the first true souls-like, and it carries it well. The world is HUGE, with a lot of really cool switchbacks and shortcuts to hide how big it really is until you happen upon a vista that shows you the truth. The art design is fantastic, the Umbral Realm system is cool as gently caress, in both visuals and mechanics. I played through all 3 endings with the hardest one on NG+2 and that was a hell of a ride. Felt drat good to finish it up.

https://i.imgur.com/V1fUCtw.mp4
4. Armored Core 6 - I need you to just watch the clip above. Easily the most hype moment all year. Holy poo poo. Rusty... my buddy.... i love him so much......... also the game is really really good god dang. it let me be a Guntank and also it was like stupid OP and made me feel very cool and smart for picking such a good setup based on my favorite jobber mech from Gundam. wonderful

https://i.imgur.com/9R5zqZo.mp4
3. Lies of P - I've never played Bloodborne but if it's anything like this game it's probably really good! Wow! but yeah this game was also a pretty nice surprise, nobody expected this to be this polished, have such style, have such quality of visuals, gameplay, and story too! please listen to Feel.

https://i.imgur.com/96Wc3V6.mp4
2. Baldur's Gate 3 - I'm a story fiend, it's why I play video games. I originally played BG2 back in the day and still have the giant spiral-bound manual (that is functionally just a DND 2E Player's Handbook). BG3 has so much story, so much player choice and reactions to your choices, to the point where I've never seen a game give you this much freedom and properly respond to it. I played a Dark Urge attempting to overcome her affliction, and lads I gotta say the way that story arc wrapped up is one of the most satisfying narratives I've ever played through. It felt SO god drat good to do exactly what I wanted and be rewarded for it. This game made me feel seen.

and finally... you might have seen this coming!! maybe!!!

1. Pentiment - Sometimes a story just takes your heart and wrings out the tears and shoves it back in your chest, full of joy of having been able to take part. What a beautiful, touching game. This is another game that made me feel seen, I chose Naturalist as you can see above and just this little interaction of looking at a flower most people consider a weed, but still finding beauty in it, speaks to me on such a fundamental level. This is the poo poo I am about. I played this game in January of this year and it stuck with me the whole way. I still get emotional thinking about it. It still makes me smile. Thank you, Pentiment.

Kerrzhe fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 9, 2023

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Here's my list.

#1 - Street Fighter 6 - I've always wanted to "get into" a fighting game, and this one finally did it for me. Excellent gameplay, solid netcode, good matchmaking. Easily my favorite game of the year.

#2 - Gris (2018) - I played this back when it first came out and remembered absolutely loving it. It came to Game Pass a few months ago so I decided to give it another shot and yeah, it's really, really good. The art & music are phenomenal and the gameplay is good enough to pull you through. I love these little one- or two-sitting experiences, and this one sits at the top of the heap for me.

#3 - Sea of Stars - I like a solid RPG and this is one of those. The timed hit system in combat keeps it engaging, and it has few enough encounters that every one feels meaningful, instead of just like trash mobs. I haven't quite beaten it yet, but I think I'm getting close.

#4 - Ghost Song - This hit Game Pass late last year and I played it early this year. It's a pretty standard Metroidvania, but there was something about the aesthetic, writing, and especially the voice acting that just clicked with me. I ended up basically 100%ing it, which I don't do much these days.

#5 - Halo Infinite - I play this a couple times a month with friends, it's always a good time. They introduced a ton of new multiplayer content this year, a handful of new full maps and a bunch of Forge-mode maps, including many inspired by favorite maps from previous Halo games. It's in a really good state right now.

#6 - Chunithm - This is an arcade-only rhythm game from Sega with a unique touchstrip controller. I discovered it a year ago when I was out of town, and found out a kickass local arcade has a machine. Now I go to the arcade once every month or two to play for a couple hours and hang with some of the local rhythm game crew.

#7 - Super Mario Wonder - It's a good Mario game. I prefer the SMB3 style of more dexterity challenges, to the SMWorld style of gimmicky/exploration stages that Wonder apes. But this one's still a winner.

#8 - Octopath Traveler 2 - A more hardcore RPG. I actually didn't end up beating this one. Several of the final bosses were just too hard for me to beat and I don't find the grinding fun enough to do voluntarily, so I quit. But I had a good time going through the stories, and this is probably the #1 game by playtime for me this year.

#9 - Age of Empires 2 (Xbox) - This one came to Game Pass and I played it quite a lot early in the year. It works shockingly well on controller. Brought back a lot of memories of high school gaming. The multiplayer ends up getting stale pretty quick, so I didn't stick with it, but I had a really great time with it for a month.

I think that's pretty much everything I played this year. I did play TOTK but uhhh let's just say it didn't make it into my top ten.

ColdPie fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Dec 9, 2023

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Also thanks to everyone who makes this thread happen & writes posts in it. I read every single one and jot down notes for games that look interesting, which I then never get around to because I play like six games per year. I really gotta do that Void Stranger one though.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Hardspace Shipbreaker is very chill but I would find it hard to listen to anything besides its own space bluegrass tracks

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
5) Humankind

I bet a lot of people won't believe me, but the updates made this game really good.

4) Shadow Gambit: The Cursed Crew

Such a shame that this the last game the studio will ever make. I loved all of their games, and this one is certainly worth getting as well.

3) Warriors of the Nile 2

I put 63 hours in this game. Just a game that nails the feeling of going from zero-to-hero. Combining the balance philosophy of something like monster train with more typical combat and simple controls.

2) Baldur's Gate III

Great game!

1) Troubleshooter (Crimson Crow DLC)

This is my most played game with 462 hours in total. Just an incredible game, can't recommend it enough. Especially the mastery system is crazy well executed.

Honorary mention: I've played yet another campaign in Urtuk despite the last update happening two years ago. I'm now at 191 hours played.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Walh Hara posted:

5) Humankind

I bet a lot of people won't believe me, but the updates made this game really good.

I'm happy to hear it got improved. I tried it back in the day, but my game interest fizzled out during middle-ages.
We need more great Civ-clones, because Civ ain't doing so great.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Agreed, I'd love to hear more about how Humankind has improved.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Kerrzhe posted:

hello it's me!!

Yay!! I knew you'd be lusty for Rusty :allears:

Kerrzhe posted:

1. Pentiment

Oh man I forgot I bought this, I'm gonna have to revisit it

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

dear ascending list posters:

why?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

ShoogaSlim posted:

why?

why not?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Kerrzhe posted:

1. Pentiment - Sometimes a story just takes your heart and wrings out the tears and shoves it back in your chest, full of joy of having been able to take part. What a beautiful, touching game. This is another game that made me feel seen, I chose Naturalist as you can see above and just this little interaction of looking at a flower most people consider a weed, but still finding beauty in it, speaks to me on such a fundamental level. This is the poo poo I am about. I played this game in January of this year and it stuck with me the whole way. I still get emotional thinking about it. It still makes me smile. Thank you, Pentiment.

Finally! Hooray, I am so happy people are still discovering how loving great Pentiment is.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

ShoogaSlim posted:

why?

I don't know the full list off the top of my head so I start with my favorites and then work down from there until I can't think of anything else to add. Boom, list.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ColdPie posted:

I don't know the full list off the top of my head so I start with my favorites and then work down from there until I can't think of anything else to add. Boom, list.

I'm putting mine together the same way, I'm just hitting up-arrow a few times after each so they end up in The Right Order.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ShoogaSlim posted:

why?
hahahahahaha how is ascending list delirium real hahahahaha learn to count in a different style hahaha

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
STATS

The thread has been around for about a week and I have got a current update on numbers.

We have had 57 goons share their lists!
We have 257 unique games!

The entrants are much tighter than last year.

3 previous winners have appeared so far but only once each.
All runners up except 2 have appeared.
The other 2 winners have not appeared at all.

3 weeks remaining!

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I like ascending lists. If I know the big game the person chose as their number one, it gives me a better idea of their tastes and priorities in gameplay. I’m then better able to evaluate how much I’d like the lower ranked games that I’m less likely to have played.

Whenever someone posts a descending list, I scroll to the bottom and read it backwards.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Bugblatter posted:

Whenever someone posts a descending list, I scroll to the bottom and read it backwards.

This is demonic

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bugblatter posted:

This has to be a troll

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Ascending lists are the inverted mouselook of posting

Just monstrous and inexplicable

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Another year, another slate - the best year of video games in recent memory , but I still barely scratched the surface of new releases. No Octopath 2, no Lies of P, no Alan Wake 2 etc. - there are enough in the hopper to keep me playing for years to come. What I did play, however:

Dishonorable Mention - Starfield
I tried. I tried hard - my boys would be playing Starfield together for days before we started dropping off one by one. I did the faction quests, I did the shipbuilding (best part of the game), I did the procedural exploration, the main quest. The second I powered through the main quest uninstalled the game and haven't touched it since. My one real gaming disappointment this year.

Dishonorable Mention - Civilization: Beyond Earth
I bought this game nine years ago when I was drunk after my girlfriend broke up with me. After forty minutes I realized it sucked and stopped playing. Thought I had gone through the refund policy on Steam but it turns out I never did. They denied my refund request earlier last week. It still sucks.

The 2023 1-10

10. The Talos Principle
The last game I'll be playing in this calendar year - bought the bundle on Steam. I can't place it any higher because I think I've barely scratched the surface on what it's offering, but I like what I'm seeing so far. Absolutely eating The Witness’s lunch, a game that seems to dull in my memory with every passing year.

9. Minecraft
I say it every year, and it remains true - a permanent Realms subscription among the gang is one of the best values in gaming. There's something so satisfying to the core game loop. I played less this year than normal though because…

8. Stardew Valley
…of another game about farming and gathering resources. I’d always worried about my reaction to this game based on reports from others, and I was right to worry - hours would simply vanish in front of the screen. But after a full year cycle, something about the loop broke and put the game away for now - we’ll see if I pick it back up.

7. Chants of Sennaar
A charming little game and tickles the right “kinda like Obra Dinna if you squint” part of my brain.

6. Fire Emblem Engage
Give me one of these every other year and I'll happily oblige. The return to some more of the “classical” FE elements combined with the end of weapon durability did a lot to boost my attitude on this one. However, Three Houses looms large for its more memorable characters and more ambitious storytelling attempt. I'd love to see a synthesis for the next installment.

5. Citizen Sleeper
My favorite of the narrative driven games this year. At least one game this year got the message on how to convey Space is Lonely.

4. Hi-Fi Rush
An absolutely delightful surprise that started the year off on the right note. My only criticism is this: why don't we get one of these every year?? They clearly remember how to make them! At this point it honestly feels like a throwback in the best way possible.

3. Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty
They really managed to turn it around in the end. I was a real critic of theirs when they shipped an unfinished game and was glad I didn't put any money down until it was fixed and ready to go. Should we absolve them of their initial blunder? Eh, they aren't in Masterpiece Zone.

Masterpiece Zone
Supremely torn on these two, but in the end, I have to go with my heart - and namesake.

2. Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Breath of the Wild was the game I used to introduce people to modern video games, including my partner. This series holds a special place in my heart and I can't believe how well this game lives up to my expectations. Moment to moment some of the most fun any game has given me since the original BotW.

1. Baldur’s Gate 3
Yeah, I guess my name gives it away. I've been waiting for this game for over two decades now. I grew up in awe of the kind of scale Baldur's Gate 2 managed to achieve - and essentially sparked a lifelong love of RPGs. Was I nervous about a new BG3 from a different studio? Absolutely. Do I believe they knocked it out of the park? Absolutely. This is a love letter to the old school RPG with and updated modern sense of scale and adventure. More often than not your extremely dumb decisions will be rewarded and punished accordingly. Characters are a strong point - well realized and one of the best cast of voice performances in recent years. There's no doubt in my mind this is the Game of the Year

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

SlothBear posted:

Agreed, I'd love to hear more about how Humankind has improved.

well, given this:

Bugblatter posted:

ColdPie posted:

I hope you haven't been reading this thread!!

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

whenever i put on a movie i watch the ending first to see if i'll like it then i rewind 15 minutes at a time to make sure it's good before i actually start it

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Kerrzhe posted:

hello it's me!!

let me do some honorable mentions first!!

drat nice post!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Jon Irenicus posted:

9. Minecraft
I say it every year, and it remains true - a permanent Realms subscription among the gang is one of the best values in gaming. There's something so satisfying to the core game loop. I played less this year than normal though because…
I really want to encourage you to switch from Realms to modded online minecraft. like I play using very outdated mods and even then it's incredibly robust, far more than vanilla. Oh The Biomes You'll Go and Biomes o' Plenty both add dozens of biomes each, totaling well over a hundred new biomes that with the requisite Terralith(iirc that's the required core mod for them) create immense, sprawling environments to explore. plus, with things like Yung's improved constructs, it spawns much more elaborate versions of the existing Ocean Monuments, Desert/Jungle/etc Temples, and the like. And that's only scratching the surface. If you want, I can provide my complete modlist(and even make a rar file of it all for you to cut down on getting it all), thanks to the extremely easy to use Prismlauncher, it's incredibly easy to select and update mods and keep a particular build of MC cohesive, it does a ton of the difficult work for you.

I don't even use the technical mods that are for building nuclear reactors or having to whet stones to create stone tools like Terrafirmacraft, all the mods I use are only for enhancing basic Survival mode and exploration, for creating more variety in the core gameplay loop of "wander, discover, loot, build". Like, I have been playing in the same Minecraft World for well over a year now, I've not felt the need or urge to start a new one at all. It's still the game I boot up almost daily as my relaxation game, and the mods make it so, so much better, which Bedrock MC just cannot compare to. Having the ability to craft backpacks that are modular and upgradeable is so unbelievably useful, especially with these mods that increase the total number of block variety to multiple thousands of types.

some screenshots(ones with shaders on aren't mine, the rest are):

I built a sandstone temple to protect the exposed nether portal I appeared in in the middle of a ruby crystal nether biome. the ruby blocks emit light, so can be collected in large amounts to act as bootleg Glowstone in a pinch.

do you like flower variety? because OTBYG and BoP add hundreds of new flower varieties. I have a central village I have fortified and turned into my main beekeeping village and flower town, where I bring all the new varieties of flowers to to expand the flower field there for the bees.

pumpkin patches are a biome, with huge pumpkins!

an unbelievably massive mountainous Dark Forest biome gave way to an even larger cavern beneath it via a massive gorge that cuts through it, somewhat hidden by all the giant mushrooms and dark oaks. it's this huge and the floor doesn't even start getting to Deepslate yet. I spent literally over a week mapping it out and illuminating it.

the Sophisticated Backpacks Mod lets you craft initially small backpacks, which can be upgraded and have tons of modular inserts to increase carrying capacity per stack, automatically pick up and sort specific items, and auto-feed you or auto-smelt things. I wander around with a backpack designed specifically to smelt all netherrack, clay, sand and stone into bricks, glass, and smooth stone, and I only need to swing by the nether every few weeks to load back up on lava buckets and loaded lava sponges to keep the fuel in it going for another few weeks.

one of my favorite biomes in Oh The Biomes You'll Go is called Lush Stacks, and it's huge crags and loopy stone eruptions out of the ocean, which make for incredible build sites:

my PC isn't strong enough anymore to be able to handle the pretty shaders mods, sadly. maybe once I upgrade it, but until then, default visuals it is, which don't really bother me.

but yeah, modded minecraft is still going strong and still phenomenal. I don't think I've put more time into anything as I have modded MC.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

I really want to encourage you to switch from Realms to modded online minecraft. like I play using very outdated mods and even then it's incredibly robust, far more than vanilla.

Strongly seconded. I run a modded server for me and my daughter to play on (I use gdlauncher, not prismlauncher, but it looks like they have a similar feature set) and it's fantastic. There's just so much stuff out there and pretty much any time my daughter goes "hey I wish we had/could do X" there is already a mod for that.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Captain Invictus posted:

one of my favorite biomes in Oh The Biomes You'll Go is called Lush Stacks, and it's huge crags and loopy stone eruptions out of the ocean, which make for incredible build sites:

my PC isn't strong enough anymore to be able to handle the pretty shaders mods, sadly. maybe once I upgrade it, but until then, default visuals it is, which don't really bother me.

but yeah, modded minecraft is still going strong and still phenomenal. I don't think I've put more time into anything as I have modded MC.

This looks incredibly sweet. I keep telling myself to buckle down and try to get into Minecraft, just gotta do it sometime.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I like that that particular build looks very similar to your avatar, if the belfry was more towards the left it'd be nearly identical :v:

and yes, minecraft is very approachable. you can spend hundreds of hours in vanilla MC before ever needing to know anything you might need to wiki for. most of the stuff like that are for extremely obtuse things like how to breed villagers, how to spawn The Wither, how to find a Stronghold, or stupid trial-and-error things like how not to get detected in the Deep Dark.

also, with mods you can disable The Warden, which in itself is justification enough for playing modded minecraft, because gently caress that thing

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I always admire Minecraft from afar but I always just kinda flail around in these sorts of games. I don't have much of a creative brain so I can never make much that looks good and then I just don't tend to vibe with heavy crafting/survival game styles.

I know Creative Mode exists but I still just kinda get overwhelmed and then feel like I'd rather play a game where I have more concrete stuff to do.

But then I see screenshots like those and it seems like such a Chill Vibes game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I always admire Minecraft from afar but I always just kinda flail around in these sorts of games. I don't have much of a creative brain so I can never make much that looks good and then I just don't tend to vibe with heavy crafting/survival game styles.

I know Creative Mode exists but I still just kinda get overwhelmed and then feel like I'd rather play a game where I have more concrete stuff to do.

But then I see screenshots like those and it seems like such a Chill Vibes game.

It might sound odd but give Dragon Quest Builders 2 a shot if you feel that way. It's a Minecraft style game with pretty firm goals set down for you which helps drive you towards building something rather than just being freeform.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You can have a decent amount of fun in Minecraft just by walking in a straight line and seeing what pops up. You just need some basic items you can carry with you and/or deploy as needed

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

ImpAtom posted:

It might sound odd but give Dragon Quest Builders 2 a shot if you feel that way. It's a Minecraft style game with pretty firm goals set down for you which helps drive you towards building something rather than just being freeform.

That sounds like a lot of what I've heard for sure. Just haven't really ever found the opportunity to try it out, would need it to be on a pretty cheap price point to give it a go.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

YoshiOfYellow posted:

in my opinion, never go into minecraft without some idea of what you want to do. whenever I go in, I think to myself, "what is my goal this time? what do I want to accomplish this session?" whether it be acquiring specific resources for adding on to one of the many villages I've fortified, or harvesting a ton of flowers to stockpile for later usage for dyes, or restocking on important supplies like iron/diamonds/nether bricks, etc, I always go in with a specific idea of what I want to do. sometimes my goal is "okay, look at my Xaero's World Map, and see if I want to flesh out an area that's currently fog of war. or maybe I bought a special map from a traveling merchant months ago that's been sitting in my backpack for ages, and decide it's finally time to trek across literally a dozen miles ingame to find what it takes me to. I do sometimes just go "gently caress it, let's wander in an unexplored direction for a few miles and see what we find" which is also valid, but again, at least when you start, something like "I want to build a safe shelter" or "I want to get iron tools" is a great beginning point.

recent session goals I've had:
- build a single nice house for a villager in one of my villages
- organize a new stockpile in a new village to leave a bunch of stuff from my backpacks in, so I can stop by and pick up things I might need later and to make room
- build a bridge with "support beams" across an 80-block-deep chasm between two mountains
- clear around a new nether portal I created on the nether side and build a safe area around it to keep potential Ghast attacks from turning the portal off, and also make the entire area around the portal look like the Overworld is encroaching into the nether around the portal

stuff like this is the kind of thing that keeps me playing the game. I let my creativity give me an idea and then roll with it.

My current character is in fully enchanted netherite gear and netherite tools all with mending, so I no longer need to worry about that stuff(yet, anyways. I recently found there's even further upgrades in some of the mods I have that require...some crazy poo poo), it's purely for building for me now. there's a potion mod I use that lets you craft Oresight potions to see specific ore blocks through walls, so it makes finding resources a lot less bullshit, but you can only see within a 20ish block radius, so it's not TOO ridiculous.

the thing about Minecraft mods is that there's something for everyone at this point. You want more elaborate cooking? Pam's Harvestcraft and Farmer's Delight have you covered. You want insane technological poo poo that looks almost like a completely different game? Create is your mod. Do you just want to loving put Pokemon in Minecraft? Pixelmon is a thing, I guess.

hell, there was a mod that turned minecraft mobs into anime girls you could date at one point, I believe. just...if someone has an idea, it's probably been made a minecraft mod at some point.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Dec 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
apologies if I've posted too much about Minecraft in here, it's a game that has really helped me stresswise and also a game I feel like has really been discounted more and more over the years despite doing what it does way better than pretty much anything else. I stopped playing it for a couple years, then got back in with a lot of mods, and it's been my mainstay ever since. love that loving game.