Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I remember that guy showing off his lego collection during the pandemic and was wondering if it was just rich guy pandemic madness, but it's good to see he's a lifer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/BlogsBrick/status/1733573424025379301

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

I'd been waiting for a decent 5th generation 4Runner to show up on Rebrickable and finally got the parts/instructions. The builder even included a set of instructions/parts list for the blue version, but between Rebrickable instructions, Bricklink sellers sending me one wrong part (out of a big order), and my own QC it definitely makes me appreciate Lego QC and just opening a box and building a set.

Luckily even with some errors in the instructions I only had to rummage through my own bins a few times for parts. Bricks and Minifigs was a great resource to be able to rummage through their pick a brick tables and get quite a few parts before I went on Bricklink.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Is there a time limit on the pop-up?
I bought the Apollo motel instructions but haven't had the chance to download them yet and they're already sending out emails suggesting everything is over and delivered

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Got myself an AT-TE for Christmas and found it a bit lacking, so smoothed it out, beefed up the legs added more red, oh and built it a big rear end cow catcher

https://imgur.com/a/pXfV62z

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

Arcella posted:

I'd been waiting for a decent 5th generation 4Runner to show up on Rebrickable and finally got the parts/instructions. The builder even included a set of instructions/parts list for the blue version, but between Rebrickable instructions, Bricklink sellers sending me one wrong part (out of a big order), and my own QC it definitely makes me appreciate Lego QC and just opening a box and building a set.

Luckily even with some errors in the instructions I only had to rummage through my own bins a few times for parts. Bricks and Minifigs was a great resource to be able to rummage through their pick a brick tables and get quite a few parts before I went on Bricklink.

Freaking sick build! Really spot on with proportions, I'd probably snag one if it was an actual Lego retail set.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/HCNiROo.mp4

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

a sexual elk posted:

Got myself an AT-TE for Christmas and found it a bit lacking, so smoothed it out, beefed up the legs added more red, oh and built it a big rear end cow catcher

https://imgur.com/a/pXfV62z

Oh that is slick!! If someone told me this was an official UCS version I wouldn't even second guess it!

Oh snap, AT-TE is on sale at Target right now, 112 + 10$ gift card

Whelp, I guess this is what credit cards are for :homebrew:

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Thanks!
Redid the main gun, it was still to flimsy

https://imgur.com/a/uYCw5cy

a sexual elk fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Dec 10, 2023

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Page 2002 needs some Transparent Neon Orange Chainsaws.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Yeah!

Hell yeah!!!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Question, I don't know a damned thing about the trustworthiness of stores that sell knockoff Legos, but I'm looking for one that sells the REOBRIX 33037 set.

My father flew CH-53Es in the Navy and knows about the Brickmania set, but he's specifically forbade me from buying a $1000-1200 Lego set, "especially when it says 'Marines' on the side" and that "all it'd do is collect dust." I'm willing to guess he'd be a bit less upset about my spending $100-150.

So, again, what are some storefronts to look at which wouldn't be effectively pissing money away?

Fake Edit: Aside from buying from them directly, I suppose: https://reobrixshop.com/collections/new-arrivals/products/reobrix-33037-ch-53e-aircraft-2192-pcs-76-6-58-26-8-cm?variant=47121133371701

I suppose it'd also be nice to know if anyone has experience with Reobricks and knows if they're cheap with horrible instructions or something.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Dec 11, 2023

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

deoju posted:

Page 2002 needs some Transparent Neon Orange Chainsaws.

I need to rebuild my Deep Freeze Defender and figure out a display for it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I suppose it'd also be nice to know if anyone has experience with Reobricks and knows if they're cheap with horrible instructions or something.

I haven't gotten any from this brand, but I've bought a number of Chinese Lego knockoffs and have generally been happy with them. The instructions aren't as well made, there's often some points of confusion, and the tolerances for the bricks aren't as good so sometimes things don't go together as cleanly as Lego. I'd say those problems are minor though, given how much cheaper they are plus all the crazy poo poo the Chinese brands make that Lego never would.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Question, I don't know a damned thing about the trustworthiness of stores that sell knockoff Legos, but I'm looking for one that sells the REOBRIX 33037 set.

My father flew CH-53Es in the Navy and knows about the Brickmania set, but he's specifically forbade me from buying a $1000-1200 Lego set, "especially when it says 'Marines' on the side" and that "all it'd do is collect dust." I'm willing to guess he'd be a bit less upset about my spending $100-150.

So, again, what are some storefronts to look at which wouldn't be effectively pissing money away?

Fake Edit: Aside from buying from them directly, I suppose: https://reobrixshop.com/collections/new-arrivals/products/reobrix-33037-ch-53e-aircraft-2192-pcs-76-6-58-26-8-cm?variant=47121133371701

No idea about Reobrix, but I've had pretty good experiences buying from yourwobb in the past: https://www.yourwobb.com/products/reobrix-33037-ch-53-transport-helicopter

They're reliable, have been around awhile, and Loy has been pretty helpful answering questions. Plus their pricing is great, and the price you see is what you pay as shipping is included. Other sites may have a lower price shown upfront, but that usually doubles once shipping is calculated at checkout.

Wherever you buy from, just be aware shipping may take a few weeks, so if it's a christmas thing just keep that in mind.

I don't know much about Reobrix, but I know the whole bootlego situation is confusing. Websites proclaiming to be one manufacturer may not actually be that manufacturer, but a reseller. At least they take paypal, which does have buyer protections. I'd avoid anyplace that does not take paypal, even if using privacy.com single use cards.

The big thing with bootlego is not all brands are the same quality and it's a bit tough to follow which ones are what. Some brands are pretty decent, and the quality mostly on par with Lego. The most noticeable differences in my experience are with pieces like clips and technic bricks, or minifigs as those are protected intellectual property that Lego has periodically pursued enforcement action against in Chinese courts. Decool is fairly decent for technic brick sets, though tolerances might be tighter than with actual lego. I think Decool bricks are rebadged GoBricks, which also sell under Mould King, which seems to be the generally agreed upon gold standard for bootlego. SY is another one that's nearly indistinguishable, and honestly probably the best quality I've seen. Leji (or may have been Lele) was a tangible step down from that, and Kazi (specifically a train set) was basically garbage quality. The coloring was off, the clutch was inconsistent, and rolling stock pieces barely held together. I'd avoid knockoffs of any current Lego sets. I tried one in early 2020 with the bookshop modular when the actual set was unobtanium. However, between poor brick quality and missing pieces, the whole thing got hucked into the reject bricks bin along with stuff like megablocks from childhood, and I just wound up waiting for the actual set to come back in stock.

The reason it's so confusing is that the obfuscation provides some veneer of dubious legal deniability against infringement actions. Lego's exclusive rights to the original kiddicraft bricks patent has expired, but minifig knockoffs are still enforceable intellectual property as I understand it. That's why you don't see figures pictured or advertised in a lot of stuff, and the quality is often pretty mediocre. Intellectual property of sets is really the big issue imho. Lego has successfully pursued enforcement action in the past, which is why you don't see Lepin as a brand anymore. The extent to which said enforcement actually achieved anything is up for debate, but at least one result is that sites like yourwobb do not directly sell knockoff Lego sets anymore. Instead, it looks like a lot of manufacturers have pivoted to copying individual's MOCs from rebrickable, such as the Landspeeder made by one of the goons in this thread. That's especially lovely as there's no recourse for the designers selling instructions, other than hope that some people will do the right thing and buy the instructions. There are some sets made by in house designers for some of the brands, and some agreements to provide some residuals to other designers, but I've heard very mixed feedback on the actual follow through with compensation, to say the least. In this regard, Lego is not entirely blameless either, having done similar things themselves, like with the Ghostbusters firehouse Ideas set that seems to have been lifted from the original ideas submission. It may have been a coincidence or an accident too, it's just the waters get murky.

There are much better sources of information out there, but I just wanted to share some of my past experiences. For me it's been great to snag some sets that were otherwise unobtanium (like old modulars), or otherwise interesting sets that Lego wouldn't produce (like BrickAtive's modern library MOC). If you do buy something that is based on a MOC, definitely be sure to chip in a few bucks to the designer and at least buy the instructions!

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Dec 11, 2023

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Minifigs vary widely. I like to use marstoy specifically for them, because they show pretty good pictures of what's on offer, even if the search/sort is no good. The tolerances are definitely worse - sometimes legs barely stay connected to torsos - and the super rare stuff is often out of stock.

But it's the only way I could ever get a Thrawn that looks great, and the only way I could get a completely custom set of all the new spider-verse guy for my kid.
And heck, it was nice to get 30 battle droids for a few bucks and then see them get smashed to pieces over and over without worrying about if the arms/legs broke.

I do agree the pivot to MOCs has been a negative, as the already loose tolerances of knockoffs combined with less structurally sound builds has kept me away from them.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
the leak of the xmen jet is pretty disappointing. if it goes on sale ill grab it though. i don't understand what magneto's deal is either.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Sunk Dunk posted:

the leak of the xmen jet is pretty disappointing. if it goes on sale ill grab it though. i don't understand what magneto's deal is either.

Why is it so.....uh......1994?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Because they know all people give a poo poo about is minifigs so as long as there's a popular one in there that has a one off costume it'll sell like crazy.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

There's a sequel series to the 90's Xmen cartoon coming to Disney+ at some point. Maybe next year? Was announced ages ago.

It's probably based on that.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I mean, the model. There's something about it that reminds me of kits from when I was a kid. I realize it's probably lightyears ahead of those old sets but there is something about that model that makes me feel 7 but not in a good way.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
And I say this as someone who would finally buy a big money set for some 90's X-Men. Just, not that.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Veotax posted:

There's a sequel series to the 90's Xmen cartoon coming to Disney+ at some point. Maybe next year? Was announced ages ago.

It's probably based on that.

Yeah

In January last I saw

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
That Blackbird set was rumored to be $80 and 359pcs or $0.22/pc.
https://thedirect.com/article/lego-marvel-2024-sets-release

I'm worried that this set, and the Marvels' Hoopty are the start of a trend of absurdly low values for sets like these.

I hope the cartoon is good though.

deoju fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Dec 11, 2023

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
The marvels set is worth it for the two baby flerkens.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Seeing that X-Men set makes me wonder - has anyone made an X-COM: Enemy Unknown MOC?

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
i picked up a blue fiat that im excited to build. feeling italian

Grimmeh
May 9, 2004

...Putting The Fun Back Into The Funeral

Sunk Dunk posted:

i picked up a blue fiat that im excited to build. feeling italian

Is there a reliable non-price gougey place to pick that up in blue?

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

xzzy posted:

Because they know all people give a poo poo about is minifigs so as long as there's a popular one in there that has a one off costume it'll sell like crazy.

This might be an insane question, but....why? Is it just a 'collecting everything of the media i like' thing?

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

Grimmeh posted:

Is there a reliable non-price gougey place to pick that up in blue?

i bought it on ebay for about 40 dollars over MSRP. i think that's about the best you'll do at this point

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

big dyke energy posted:

This might be an insane question, but....why? Is it just a 'collecting everything of the media i like' thing?

That's one possibility. But there have also been several one-off minifigs that have had insane appreciation. It makes sense to get everything notable to make sure one doesn't miss out on their chance to retire from minifig sales.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

big dyke energy posted:

Yes. Some people love 80s/90s X-Men so much they would even go so far as to name their firstborn son after Wolverine. No one here though, just other people.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

big dyke energy posted:

Could also be their favorite character is only in that set. Like say for some reason Cyclops isn't included in the rumored Xavier Mansion set. People will want that one fig, and the Bricklink price for him will be high. Can't have the X-Men without him imo. And Lego is aware of this and will spread out all the characters in a line.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
I'm building the yellow fiat right now and I noticed that almost all of the 2x2 curved slope pieces have some kind of blue discoloration. has anyone ever seen this before? it's kinda ugly so i might order some new pieces...

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

mutata posted:

I need to rebuild my Deep Freeze Defender and figure out a display for it.

I always wanted all the Ice Planet sets as a kid; I may have to cobble together a Deep Freeze Defender one of these days.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
$100 lego egift card for $90, limit one.

https://giftcards.kroger.com/deal/lego-egift-10

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
I had (still have, in a box at my mum's house) a few sets from the Ice Planet series - from memory, a couple of 6814s, and one each of 6834 and 6879 - I dreamed about having the base set (6983) with the magnetic rockets and extras vehicles and all those translucent orange parts - the white/blue/orange colour scheme still looks so good.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Sunk Dunk posted:

I'm building the yellow fiat right now and I noticed that almost all of the 2x2 curved slope pieces have some kind of blue discoloration. has anyone ever seen this before? it's kinda ugly so i might order some new pieces...

Too thin plastic where the anti studs are on a pale color I think.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

I've got a new MOC to build.

Edited because I'm an idiot.

Anyone know where this actually came from?

boxen fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Dec 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

boxen posted:

I've got a new MOC to build.

Nice same page repost.

Lion Knights' Castle has been an absolute blast. I'm really loving the way all of the geometry has been working out. I'm taking my time with it, savoring all of the incredible details.