Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'll be sure to let the thread know when I beat AAI2 so that Capcom can announce their collection the day after. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1727710964739371166?s=20

Apollo Justice getting a physical in the US

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Is it going to bankrupt him?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
He should see that one guy at the Hotti clinic

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I'm watching a small group of friends go through JFA blind and god 2-4 rules. I'm pretty sure it was just about a year ago now I went through it unspoiled, too.

Watching their vids and trying to recall my own experiences, that first meeting with Engarde is so much fun. But also the way his attitude totally changes when Phoenix mentions "De Killer" is really intriguing. If you don't know what's going on and you think Matt is innocent, why did you think he suddenly accepted Phoenix's request to be his lawyer at hearing this name? My memory of my best guess is he somehow knew de Killer but he hadn't hired him or anything.

Kind of a weak answer but curious if anybody here recalls what they made of all this when they didn't know what was going on.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I distinctly recall catching on to that, but I'm not sure what I made of it. I definitely did not suspect Engarde of being the culprit. I think I had the same thought, that he for some reason knew who de Killer was, and maybe he was also being blackmailed by him? I made a mental note to come back to it later, and had forgotten all about it by the time Edgeworth rolls in to accuse him to your face.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I think the reason it doesn't immediately stick out as
a red flag is at the time you know so very very little about the case. You haven't visited the crime scene or learned anything about the characters involved. Engarde's reaction is suspicious but not SO suspicious that it sticks in your mind past the moment and it quickly gets pushed out as you find clues that point to Adrian's involvement. By the time the game loops back around to De Killer and establishes it was a hit with you looking for the client, the suspicion is likely pushed out of your mind until the game starts heading back to Engarde.

I'm sure there's some people who guessed the truth immediately but I sure didn't. The game does a good job of conditioning you that your client is innocent.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah I think the main reason I didn't suspect Engarde until the game wanted me to was because I didn't expect the the game to actually go for the twist that Engarde actually was guilty, which is a big part of what makes 2-4 one of the best cases in the series.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Also it's not uncommon for (2-4) innocent defendants to hide crucial information from Phoenix for one reason or another, so even if you notice he's acting suspicious you still wouldn't immediately assume he's actually guilty.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I've played the original trilogy more times than I can count, but 2-4 still gives me chills. That tension is truly something else, and even though I know it's coming every time, the reveal of your client's real/evil side never gets old.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Read After Burning posted:

I've played the original trilogy more times than I can count, but 2-4 still gives me chills. That tension is truly something else, and even though I know it's coming every time, the reveal of your client's real/evil side never gets old.

(2-4 spoilers)
The mask coming off and the switch to his actual personality? Standard anime stuff, seen it a gillion times.
The evil scars over the hidden eye? Cool visual motif, now we're getting somewhere. It's still somewhat stock.
Summoning a wine chalice out of hammerspace while in police custody just to swirl it evily in Nick's face? Now that is some amazing :moreevil: style.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
2-4 is an impeccable story for a ton of reasons. It's technically a sequel to 1-3, but it's isolated enough and gives enough context clues to 1-3 that you can get by without having played it (JFA was my first AA game and I never felt like I was lost or behind on important information). It establishes the stakes immediately and slowly, but constantly, escalates, always pushing the envelope and tapping on its watch with every step of forward progress that you make. It consistently hits you with downers and low points, but it's thanks to the tenacity in the characters (Phoenix and Maya in particular) that they scrape and dig and fight for every little bit of footing they can get, and you can practically feel the tension in your own neck and shoulders whenever Phoenix is hit with some bad news. The villain is conniving, underhanded, selfish, dastardly, and worst of all, disarming, fooling not just Phoenix (and you, probably), but the magatama as well, the supernatural lie detector that, up until that point in the game, had always pointed you in the right direction. He's the kind of villain that's, at his core, pure evil in the sense that he has zero empathy towards others and sees life as a game that he's 'winning,' but he's still so charismatic that he's a villain that you love to hate - one of the best types of villains out there. The heroes are given nearly-insurmountable odds and it's only with the heroes teaming with the pre-established 'villains' (Edgeworth and Franziska) that they can finally overcome this challenge and get the ending everyone deserves.

The story has some pretty classic elements - a damsel in distress, friends-turned-enemies-turned-friends, a hero faced with unreasonable hurdles yet overcoming each one with nothing but his own grit, the villain holding every possible advantage and still losing at the end. The timing of the events, the pacing of the story overall, the tangible relief you feel when Phoenix collapses on the defence's bench when he learns that Maya's safe, and even the very last choice you get to make, where it's you that turns it back on the bad guy and you give him an impossible choice with no correct answer. It's masterful. It's something that should be taught in classes.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

2-4's such a good case lol

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Maple Leaf posted:

2-4 is an impeccable story for a ton of reasons. It's technically a sequel to 1-3, but it's isolated enough and gives enough context clues to 1-3 that you can get by without having played it (JFA was my first AA game and I never felt like I was lost or behind on important information). It establishes the stakes immediately and slowly, but constantly, escalates, always pushing the envelope and tapping on its watch with every step of forward progress that you make. It consistently hits you with downers and low points, but it's thanks to the tenacity in the characters (Phoenix and Maya in particular) that they scrape and dig and fight for every little bit of footing they can get, and you can practically feel the tension in your own neck and shoulders whenever Phoenix is hit with some bad news. The villain is conniving, underhanded, selfish, dastardly, and worst of all, disarming, fooling not just Phoenix (and you, probably), but the magatama as well, the supernatural lie detector that, up until that point in the game, had always pointed you in the right direction. He's the kind of villain that's, at his core, pure evil in the sense that he has zero empathy towards others and sees life as a game that he's 'winning,' but he's still so charismatic that he's a villain that you love to hate - one of the best types of villains out there. The heroes are given nearly-insurmountable odds and it's only with the heroes teaming with the pre-established 'villains' (Edgeworth and Franziska) that they can finally overcome this challenge and get the ending everyone deserves.

The story has some pretty classic elements - a damsel in distress, friends-turned-enemies-turned-friends, a hero faced with unreasonable hurdles yet overcoming each one with nothing but his own grit, the villain holding every possible advantage and still losing at the end. The timing of the events, the pacing of the story overall, the tangible relief you feel when Phoenix collapses on the defence's bench when he learns that Maya's safe, and even the very last choice you get to make, where it's you that turns it back on the bad guy and you give him an impossible choice with no correct answer. It's masterful. It's something that should be taught in classes.

This is an excellent post, I would only quibble about the "no correct answer" choice at the end. There is no good ending for the villain at that point but there is a correct answer from Phoenix's perspective. Those constant "fake choices" you can make in the case show Phoenix is a man of integrity. A man of integrity should not be able to throw a man to be murdered by a vengeful assassin, no mater how scummy that man is. Choosing Not Guilty would be lowering yourself to De Killer's level.

Cuz this is the thing it took me a minute to realize - Ace Attorney is not a legal drama about the intersection, overlap, and conflict of law and morality, of personal ideals and cruel realities of the human condition and state. 2-4 especially tripped me and others up (based on what I've seen on the r/aceattorney subreddit) because it does throw a lot of these legal-ethical questions at you. But the case and the series as a whole is about wonderfully written characters who grow and develop in a courtroom. Adrian committed many crimes, she is in fact guilty as sin of multiple things. The fact Matt is guilty no more justifies her trying to frame him than you are justified in shooting someone and then they turn out to be a serial killer which you had zero knowledge of at the time of the shooting. From both a legal and moral perspective, the defense and prosecutor conspiring to convict a man is also really gross and undermines every principle of our legal system. And so-on. Point is, in a very different kind of story, these would be some pretty big ethical questions about the obligation of a defense attorney. They would be entirely in the right to cast all suspicion on Adrian, whether she actually did it or not.

But that isn't really what 2-4 is about. It's more about Phoenix's integrity like I started off by saying. He will not make those choices you are given, like to go after Adrian when he knows she didn't commit the crime in question, because it goes against everything he believes in as a man. Or a boy, that same boy who was so inspired by Miles sticking up for him. That kind of idealism underlines everything in AA vs. the ugly realities of a legal drama. 2-4 is certainly the most intellectually stimulating case because it does offer up these kinds of questions, but resolves them all in a personal way - "this is just something Phoenix would never do." The personal drama is the priority, and it's great drama so the case remains supremely good.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Nov 30, 2023

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/aceattorneygame/status/1730255580928045059?s=20

DLC CASES CONFIRMED!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

DLC CASES CONFIRMED!

I mean it would have been the absolute height of absurdity for them not to be included

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

The real question is if they’ll go the extra mile and put DD’s bonus case in the proper chronological place (or at least give a prompt to suggest playing it before the last two cases)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

And since Apollo Justice Trilogy preorders are open, Capcom put 9 episodes of the Ace Attorney anime up on Youtube!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVN__UE_IfaZASmiNTsMNjSJCGB1zarNz

They cover 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, and 3-2.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Probably my most unpopular AA opinion is I do not really care for 3-5. There are many reasons for this but the one on my mind right now is Mia's "I don't need to be here to hold your hand anymore, Phoenix. You have surpassed me." Supposed to be this big "passing the torch moment" or something.

But, uh, Phoenix surpassed Mia in the very first game. A vital element of 1-4 is that there is no Mia to save Phoenix's rear end. And yet he still defeats Manfred von Karma and his 40-year undefeated streak. Phoenix, in his rookie year, with nothing but his own wits and an assist from Maya's gutsiness, defeated the best prosecutor in the world.

So I'm not sure what the heck Mia was talking about or what the game was trying to say.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I agree, I think the last case of 2 feels like a better thematic conclusion.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The more I think on it, the more I realize (2-4 Spoilers) Engarde's plan only failed due to bad luck. First off, Adrian framing him hosed up his alibi and got him arrested. If not for this, they wouldn't have considered him at all. Secondly, even after this, De Killer taking out Franny removed the best active prosecutor in the country at the time. It should have been Winston Payne prosecuting his trial. But Miles just happened to wander back into the country right before the crime.

I've never stopped to consider which plans are good and bad, apart form 3-3's plan being the dumbest by leaps and bounds. But 2-4 was pretty solid.

I really do adore this case so much.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Probably my most unpopular AA opinion is I do not really care for 3-5.

Same. I just dislike channeling as a whole and it feels weird when the paranormal stuff becomes central to the plot. I think it's fine when it has a supporting role, acting more like a tool, like psyche-locks and the seances.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I don't think it's any coincidence 3-5's best part is the very end when all the supernatural stuff drops off and it all comes back down to the basics.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

apart form 3-3's plan being the dumbest by leaps and bounds

And yet it only failed because Gumshoe was thirsty. :colbert:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I think 3-5 is simply a victim of trying to do too many things. It is trying to wrap up several different plotlines all at once. And, as is so often the case, trying to do too many things results in you doing none of them very well.

1. Since you all were criticizing the excessive focus on supernatural stuff, the Fey storyline being resolved comes totally out left field. Misty Fey just shows up for the first time but then she's dead. That dangling plot thread nice and snipped. Morgan Fey's fate also snipped.
2. Dahlia is the actual overarching plot of this game but her defeat is not even the climax of the trial. Villain breakdowns are a bedrock of these games and their appeal. and yet you're left with no time to really savor your victory over her because it's not a victory, the trial isn't over yet and the real culprit has to be brought to justice.
3. So is Godot the real main villain of T&T? Because catching him is where the trial goes after the villain of the game is defeated.

I dunno, I just remember thinking "...it's still going?" I wanted it to be over but it kept going.

But as I say, I know this is an unpopular opinion. I know folks really love Dahlia and Godot and if you do love them as characters, maybe it doesn't feel so very long or drawn out.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Dec 7, 2023

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I think the first investigation/trial part of 3-5 is very good. It doesn't hold up as well after that.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

3-5 is fun at least for playing as Edgeworth, especially up against Fran.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I can't wait for the Apollo justice collection. It hurts a little bit that it's gonna be $50 but it'll be worth it to have a copy not linked to a dead handheld.

I haven't played Apollo justice in probably ten years and I haven't replayed any of the 3ds games outside of their original playthrough back on their release dates so I think I haven't touched those in over 5 years. I might have forgotten enough to surprise me!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Ineffiable posted:

I can't wait for the Apollo justice collection. It hurts a little bit that it's gonna be $50 but it'll be worth it to have a copy not linked to a dead handheld.

I haven't played Apollo justice in probably ten years and I haven't replayed any of the 3ds games outside of their original playthrough back on their release dates so I think I haven't touched those in over 5 years. I might have forgotten enough to surprise me!

I got AJ and DD on Google Play store and then ran them with an Android emulator. Just an option for you or anybody else.

I might get the collection someday but since all I need is SoJ, I ain't spending $50 when I only need a single $20 game.

Speaking of which I finally decided to finish DD. I'm on Case 4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=622lrnJKiGM

This is probably my favorite cross examination theme after TT or AJ. Can't say too much else about DD really grabbed me but I loved this.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm not really a fan of Dahlia, but a majority of case 3-5 is dedicated to plot lines I do care about. I suppose that's one advantage of telling a story with many threads, because it is still one of my favorite cases.

e: v okay and also that part was cool

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 9, 2023

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I'm not really a fan of Dahlia, but a majority of case 3-5 is dedicated to plot lines I do care about. I suppose that's one advantage of telling a story with many threads, because it is still one of my favorite cases.

Zinging Dahlia back to hell with "you are eternally a loving loser" was epic

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Ineffiable posted:

Honestly if you're willing to wait I imagine there will be a sale on it at some point during the year, especially during Black Friday.

But that also involves waiting like 9-10 months.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

ApplesandOranges posted:

But that also involves waiting like 9-10 months.

Yeah no that's pretty unreasonable.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
dahila goat'd, some people here just don't support women's wrongs and it shows 😔

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I think I have been spoiled on two things but I'm not sure how important they are. I def know one is a spoiler as I just found out while finally getting into 5-4.

Fullbright is this "Phantom.'
A very popular villain is named Simon Keyes.

Stumbled upon these while looking for discussions of Engarde. I shoulda known better but oh well.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

drat, rip

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I just got gifted a collection of Sherlock Holmes I've never read before, and it's wild that in first story that Enoch Drebber is just... some dude from Cleveland. I expected something more grandiose.

Of course I'm only a tiny bit into the story so far, so that could change still, but I'm excited to get more GAAC references in hindsight!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Hah, wild. I've been thinking I should read more Sherlock Holmes so I get GAA references. Maybe followed by a replay to see what all I missed! Why not?

I found a bunch of them for like $2 or something in Kindle, but I'm not sure how many I don't have. I read the first couple and didn't notice anything from GAA in particular.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

All the stories should be in the public domain at this point, so they should be easy to find online

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coiol
Dec 16, 2004

I dress like a girl and drink like a man. Please date-rape me.
I didn’t get the Natsume Soseki reference until several cases in when he said something about being a cat, then it suddenly dawned on me :sweatdrop: