Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Lol officer Steve

Me and my stoner friends in my home town called all cops Steve, it was like our code word

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Just wanna give a nod to an album that I'm still enjoying about seven years on from its release. Nothing revelatory, I just have a good time every time I listen to it. I wish the band would release a follow-up already.

Keef Mountain - Keef Mountain

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Kvlt! posted:

that reminds me of going to boarding school in the Northeast US where we had piles like that in the dorms but they were 2 liters filled with tobacco spit

thats hockey for ya

Jesus Murphy! That's like saving piss jugs.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Kvlt! posted:

that reminds me of going to boarding school in the Northeast US where we had piles like that in the dorms but they were 2 liters filled with tobacco spit

thats hockey for ya

living in the same coed dorm as the hockey and the wrestling freshmen quickly and repeatedly answered the question I had the first 18 years of my life “so who buys chaw anyway”

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU4mGSFW3KY

popped up in the feed today

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Ingmar terdman posted:

Finally saw bongzilla. Holy moly

Bongzilla owns, pretty much the band that got me into stoner/doom. Wish I could get the chance to see them live.

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010
https://oceannoir.bandcamp.com/track/mortes-hyades

Also now waiting for my Giza pedal... I ordered in early december but it still hasn't arrived :(

EDIT: ugh.... I suddenly have an avatar after not being active for ages? Weird!

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Dusk is resurrected and almost sounds like a completely different band, production is far too clean https://duskusaofficial.bandcamp.com/album/dissolve-into-ash-2023

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001
Kirk has confirmed that Down is working on new material -- "kinda wrote 2 new songs," according to him. Probably just the instrumental parts without Phil but who knows.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
On one hand, they're the reason I got into this genre. On the other, their last EP was unlistenable.

On the third hand... Phil and his poo poo :yikes:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Trabant posted:

Phil and his poo poo :yikes:

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Down was always ironically the least interesting of the NOLA metal scene to me. I love EHG, Crowbar, etc, but was never into Pantera besides Metal Magic so Downs always been ok to good for me, but certainly not great

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Zoben posted:

Kirk has confirmed that Down is working on new material -- "kinda wrote 2 new songs," according to him. Probably just the instrumental parts without Phil but who knows.

gently caress YEA

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Trabant posted:

On one hand, they're the reason I got into this genre. On the other, their last EP was unlistenable.

On the third hand... Phil and his poo poo :yikes:

Yeah, I mean who knows what it'd sound like. I love NOLA of course but I agree that the last EP didn't really grab me. The previous one was a bit better and "Misfortune Teller" is killer. Down III was just okay, Down II had some great tunes and some total filler songs.

If nothing else, I have confidence that Kirk will throw out some killer riffs.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Zoben posted:

If nothing else, I have confidence that Kirk will throw out some killer riffs.

:haibrow: I got his Dream in Motion solo thing from a few years ago and enjoyed it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Feels weird to see someone rank your doom band above Khanate
https://www.invisibleoranges.com/best-of-2023-ted-nubel/

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

not trolled not crying posted:

The new Green Lung album is such good poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpfcWG9hocI

I saw this one on a few year-end lists and have had it on repeat ever since. One For Sorrow especially has been stuck in my head.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Henchman of Santa posted:

That’s awesome, congrats!!

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
I made this on Jan. 1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e956BFlFztk
Certain substances may have been involved. (Someday, I may make wizard_lettuce a real band.)

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Kvlt! posted:

but was never into Pantera besides Metal Magic

So only the first album grabbed ya? I'm just wondering. I think that their pre-CFH catalog is nothing to be ashamed of, it's pure stupid ridiculous glam party fun. Power Metal is actually very CFH-like and some of the songs would have worked on CFH. Dime shredded like hell on every album, so if you're a fan of solos it was good stuff. I like riffs more than solos but Dime had those covered as well.

It sucks that it became problematic to enjoy Pantera and Down after Phil did all of his stupid poo poo. I grew up listening to those bands and it's been tainted a bit. Like Neurosis. Goddamn was that a letdown. I don't know what to think now when I want to vibe out to the end of "Stones in the Sky" which is the most beautiful heavy drone.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Zoben posted:

Neurosis.

that's a hell of a thing to find out on a wednesday night at work

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
Bad people make good art sometimes (frequently maybe, even?) and it’s not “problematic to enjoy them” unless you decide it is for you personally :shrug:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It also helps(?) that the rest of Neurosis responded to Kelly's accusation of their enabling by talking about what a piece of poo poo liar he is.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

moxieman posted:

Bad people make good art sometimes (frequently maybe, even?) and it’s not “problematic to enjoy them” unless you decide it is for you personally :shrug:

This is my thought as well. Appreciating art by someone who sucks as a human doesn't mean you condone their actions.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I hope you get lots of sex because of this. Congratulations!

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

moxieman posted:

I'm mainly referring to the fact that if I even mention online that I'm a fan of Pantera, there's a deluge of "U RACIST" comments. I just want to chill out and talk about sick riffs, bro

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Zoben posted:

I just want to chill out and talk about sick riffs, bro

What does that have to do with Pantera?

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...

huge slam on Dime out of nowhere

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Hey man Skrewdriver has some sick riffs nothing you can do ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Zoben posted:

I'm mainly referring to the fact that if I even mention online that I'm a fan of Pantera, there's a deluge of "U RACIST" comments. I just want to chill out and talk about sick riffs, bro

Those people are stupid.

Dude, this is just silly.

Visions of Valerie posted:

huge slam on Dime out of nowhere

Some people don't like music by bands more than 500 people have heard of. To each their own.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

Some people don't like music by bands more than 500 people have heard of. To each their own.

:jerkbag:

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Dude, you're the most elitist music guy in this sub, and it's not even close.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I make nice chill posts, don’t start poo poo with people and sometimes I make light fun of Pantera, one of the most easily mockable bands of all time. If I’m the most elitist poster you’ve come across then you haven’t spent a lot of time in online metal circles (and I also probably wouldn’t have been asked to mod NMD)! And if you think I only listen to obscure bands for some reason then I have some Metallica tickets to show you.

E: just to check myself on possibly being an elitist, I looked through my last couple of years of posts in this thread and the main metal one, and the most snobbish things I can find are saying djent and Venom are bad. I’m fairly sure everyone here has expressed some takes that fall into that kind of realm. But let me know if I’m missing something really dickish!

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jan 13, 2024

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

I make nice chill posts, don’t start poo poo with people and sometimes I make light fun of Pantera, one of the most easily mockable bands of all time. If I’m the most elitist poster you’ve come across then you haven’t spent a lot of time in online metal circles (and I also probably wouldn’t have been asked to mod NMD)! And if you think I only listen to obscure bands for some reason then I have some Metallica tickets to show you.

Fair enough.

I do not spend a lot of time in online metal circles because my head would explode. And, yes, I believe there most certainly are way more elitist posters on those boards.

If I may ask, why do you find Pantera one of the most mockable bands? They're not my favorite band, but I do enjoy their music (I saw them during their CFH tour in a small club).

I have a few Metallica tickets I could show you as well. :cheers:

Sorry for the derail, folks.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

If I may ask, why do you find Pantera one of the most mockable bands?
Imagine I’m making a hand gesture effectively communicating the entirety of Phil Anselmo’s existence.

oh wait he beat me to it

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Those people are stupid.

Dude, this is just silly.

Fair enough.

I do not spend a lot of time in online metal circles because my head would explode. And, yes, I believe there most certainly are way more elitist posters on those boards.

If I may ask, why do you find Pantera one of the most mockable bands? They're not my favorite band, but I do enjoy their music (I saw them during their CFH tour in a small club).

Dude, you're the most elitist music guy in this sub, and it's not even close.

the biggest run of fail posts I’ve ever seen in this hallowed thread. Let’s do better

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

A mild dig at pantera, negative opinions of djent and venom, Metallica tickets....

At least I know I'm where I belong.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Fair enough.

Same reasons a lot of people do, I think. Confederate flag poo poo aside, they’re kind of the poster children for performative macho bullshit in metal, done in complete earnestness without any sort of camp or charm to them. Really cheesy but not endearingly so. Just a rancid vibes band. Groove metal is also one of the worst subgenres. All of the bands most obviously inspired by them are terrible, as are all of the 80s thrash bands’ attempts to transition to groove because of Pantera’s success (I will give them that they are much better than their imitators).

They’re probably the only band I ever really did a 180 on. Was blown away by them when I was 13 and rolling my eyes at them by the time I was 15. Honestly these days I listen to so much thunderously stupid heavy poo poo that I would probably actually enjoy most of CFH or Vulgar Display if I gave it an honest listen (like, are they really any dumber than something like God’s Hate or do they just have worse politics?), but there’s too much stuff competing for my attention to bother with making an effort to reconnect with Pantera. The weird zombie version that’s opening for Metallica will be an interesting curiosity.

Walk will always be the stupidest song I’ve heard in my loving life.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Pantera have to be in the running for biggest disparity between recording and live.

Albums are great, Dimebag was pretty good live, Rex and Vinnie were passable with occasional flashes, but of the three times I saw them, Phil was either completely disinterested or blasted out of his skull. The first two times I was psyched to see them but the third time, not so much.

I will say, Phil did do a great job of getting l'il Facepalmer to check out some undergound poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helluva
Feb 7, 2011

Earth (Dylan Carlson) had a t-shirt with a wolf and the Confederate flag. They quickly pulled it but it was manufactured. The art was done. I checked again if there was anything suspicious and here we are folks.

https://drcarlson.bandcamp.com/album/gold

Something about being white. The man is openly racist. Check his new girlfriend and what she does. And tell me the guy is not racist.