Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Samovar posted:

It rhymed 'me' with 'me', so I can only suppose in was originally written by Beaker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
https://i.imgur.com/ScnCLuj.mp4

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Love the pause.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Dang the last few years have been rough on Mr. Neidell.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Which ones, 1941-1943 or 2021-2023?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Anyone got any good recommendations for books or videos on Meiji era Japan

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

drrockso20 posted:

Anyone got any good recommendations for books or videos on Meiji era Japan

Sort of. Fukuzawa Yukichi was one of the people who brought it about, and his descriptions of Japan before and after the restoration are fascinating

"Here we have an extract from the autobiography of Fukuzawa Yukichi, famed Japanese reformer and a member of the first Japanese embassy to The United States after 200+ years of isolation.

Extract from The Autobiography of Fukuzawa Yukichi translated by Eiichi Kiyooka, 1934 edition."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvPxCuIspWs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drIt0EIIteA

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Something that I had known for a while, but just occurred to me it is a bit remarkable:

During the development of the Hurricane and Spitfire fighters in the run-up to WWII, one of the (many) things considered was the number of cannons to be used on the plane. The original plan was to have four cannons per plane, but Captain Fred Hill was uncertain if that was sufficient for how dogfights were likely to be.

So, he approached a private mathematician and, working in tandem with them and rudimentary calculating devices, determined that in order to take out an enemy plane within two seconds (the expected amount of time a pilot was expected to be able to hold an enemy plane in sight) at an ideal firing distance range, the number of cannons would have to be doubled, and the firing rate would have to be at least 1000 rpm. Captain Hill presented the graph of results drawn up, which managed to convince his superiors (who were concerned about weight issues from eight cannons) and likely gave the RAF the edge needed to stave off the Luftwaffe.

However, it must be noted that in this presentation, Captain Hill did not credit the private mathematician who helped, arguably even was the driving mathematical force behind, reaching this vital conclusion. But there was a mitigating factor behind this case of blatant plagiarism. The mathematician in question was his 13-year old daughter, Hazel Hill. While she was a math prodigy, it is also likely that her intelligence was often overlooked because she had problems with writing, possibly due to dyslexia.

Samovar has a new favorite as of 08:30 on Dec 28, 2023

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Just a terminology nitpick: the word used was "guns", and cannons is a specific (large) variation of that, and the guns used in the math was the smallest kind of aircraft gun, ie ww1 equivalent Machine Guns but faster firing.

Machine Cannons came to the spitfire and the hurricanes later, being orders of magnitude more betterer all things being equal, as it took an amount of work to get things equal

ThisIsJohnWayne has a new favorite as of 09:00 on Dec 28, 2023

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Machine Cannons came to the spitfire and the hurricanes later, being orders of magnitude more betterer all things being equal, as it took an amount of work to get things equal

Which is why the main American fighters, with a couple exceptions, stuck with .50 caliber machine guns throughout the war. The British used the .303 caliber round for almost everything from rifles to aircraft machine guns, which, while it simplified ammunition manufacturing, left their fighters needing six or eight guns to do the job that the early American fighters did with four.

Vincent Van Goatse has a new favorite as of 09:13 on Dec 28, 2023

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Which is why the main American fighters, with a couple exceptions, stuck with .50 caliber machine guns throughout the war. The British used the .303 caliber round for almost everything from rifles to aircraft machine guns, which, while it simplified ammunition manufacturing, left their fighters needing six or eight guns to do the job that the early American fighters did with four.

It's challenging to talk about ww2 and war machines because of dad history, aka nationalism top trumps. With that caveat,

That policy was ~unique~. Not only was it only applied in America, it was only a thing in the USAAF. Not even the US Navy agreed with the thought of Colt's .50 being all there was to air combat.

Everyone else went on to 20+mm and hunting for rpm and velocity as quickly as their engineers could make them working in mass production. And, arguably, the best one of those were the Hispano 404's built in England.

Here's a thing to drop on dad's who love America:
Fabrique Nationale in Belgium had a license from Browning to make his .50 cal gun. Their version, the 13.2mm, was better than Colt's 12.7mm.

(I know VvG knew I was going to post this, and I know you're not a dad historian VvG)

E. Anyway, that little dyslexic 13 year old girl invented the correct measurements for fighter plane design that grown men have argued about ever since

ThisIsJohnWayne has a new favorite as of 10:44 on Dec 28, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Bomber Crew (2018) is educational.

There were a couple of weeks when everyone in the Coldwar thread was playing it.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Coldwar thread

It was about time to update my bookmarked threads

E: actually, do you have a link? I didn’t know if it’s in A/T or PYF or wherever else

Cacafuego has a new favorite as of 13:34 on Dec 28, 2023

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

Samovar posted:

Something that I had known for a while, but just occurred to me it is a bit remarkable:

During the development of the Hurricane and Spitfire fighters in the run-up to WWII, one of the (many) things considered was the number of cannons to be used on the plane.

:can::can::can:
The problem is if you change any one thing in the chain everything else is affected, change a gun you change the mountings, do they need to be stronger or lighter? how much ammo can you carry? does it change the center of gravity? how heavy is it? can it be packaged in a way that is both aerodynamic and easy to service? can we get enough of them? can we get enough ammo? how accurate is it? is the air frame strong enough or does it need reinforcing? how much time does it take to make them? and particularly during peace time how much does it cost?

Military acquisition is one of those absolute loving nightmares that I'm glad to have nothing to do with.

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

Cacafuego posted:

It was about time to update my bookmarked threads

E: actually, do you have a link? I didn’t know if it’s in A/T or PYF or wherever else

It's in TFR
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3910801

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I’m glad I asked, I wouldn’t have looked there, although I suppose that’s a good place for it. Thanks!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The cool plane thread is in the car forum.

The cool warplane thread is in the firearm forum.

The cool spaceplane thread is in the languages forum.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

coldpudding posted:

:can::can::can:
The problem is if you change any one thing in the chain everything else is affected, change a gun you change the mountings, do they need to be stronger or lighter? how much ammo can you carry? does it change the center of gravity? how heavy is it? can it be packaged in a way that is both aerodynamic and easy to service? can we get enough of them? can we get enough ammo? how accurate is it? is the air frame strong enough or does it need reinforcing? how much time does it take to make them? and particularly during peace time how much does it cost?

Military acquisition is one of those absolute loving nightmares that I'm glad to have nothing to do with.

I once sold someone black pipes and several cans of zinc spray instead of hot-zinced pipes, for a military project. (We were out of the latter.)

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Platystemon posted:

But the cool planer thread is in the tools forum, as God intended.

Kei Technical
Sep 20, 2011

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

But the cool planer thread is in the tools forum, as God intended.

What's the thread, and they got any leads on transitional planes?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Kei Technical posted:

All sorts of planes my friend.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Kei Technical posted:

Woodworking thread in HCH. If you're making a joke I'm too dumb to get it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Rate my Lament Configuration.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In 1948 Norway passed the so called "Lex Donald". After the war paper (among other things) was rationed but a publisher company got an exemption so that they could print 40 000 copies of the first Donald Duck magazine.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Platystemon posted:

PYF Cool Plane

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
A rather morbid fact today; a lot of you may know of Scott's ill-fated antarctic expedition (probably best known is Oates departing with 'I am just going outside and may be some time'), and how all members ended up dead.

A search party eventually found the remains of three of the expedition; Scott, Wilson and Bowers. But what is not widely known is the state that their bodies were found.

They had frozen to death (that's of no surprise), but because they had frozen to death on sea ice as opposed to ice on land, they had been subjected to drift - even when frozen, sea ice flows. So their corpses had been effectively 'spaghetti-fied', stretched out to about eight feet while still frozen solid.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
how do you stretch frozen spaghetti

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

VERY CAREFULLY

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Lazy_Liberal posted:

how do you stretch frozen spaghetti
Ice is very ductile, I can certainly buy sea ice moving two or three feet in, how long was it, forty years?

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

hell yeah i will finally be tall

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Lazy_Liberal posted:

hell yeah i will finally be tall

And extremely cool!

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Are you sure it wasn't just the deformed remnants of a Thing encounter? Those can leave some pretty stretched-out and weird frozen corpses too

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

I think we can all agree on one thing, namely that Captain Oates was a prat. If I was Oates, I would have whacked Scott over the head with a frozen husky and then eaten him.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I've read that Oates was basically guilt-tripped by Scott into killing himself. I think he left diaries/letters for his family that talked about how lovely Scott was.
Scott was a dogshit leader compared to Shackleton :colbert:

( my ma met a Shackleton years ago. He put in an order for some stuff from the art supply shop she worked in, so when he gave his name to pick up his order, she asked if he was a relative, and he got all pleased and embarrassed and said "yes, he was my grandfather")

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

We had someone called Halla-Aho at work and whenever they met someone new they started with "no, I'm not".

(That's like being named Hitler.)

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

A Shackleton is code in my relationship for needing to go for a big long dump, the fact that it wasn’t Shackleton who said the line has done little to prevent this.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Samovar posted:

They had frozen to death (that's of no surprise), but because they had frozen to death on sea ice as opposed to ice on land, they had been subjected to drift - even when frozen, sea ice flows. So their corpses had been effectively 'spaghetti-fied', stretched out to about eight feet while still frozen solid.
It was their ice. It was made for them.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

Mr Teatime posted:

A Shackleton is code in my relationship for needing to go for a big long dump, the fact that it wasn’t Shackleton who said the line has done little to prevent this.

glad to hear the romance isn't dead

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pookah posted:

Scott was a dogshit leader compared to Shackleton :colbert:

it's really funny that the bar for successful british polar expeditions is "none of the goals of the expedition are met, buy everybody survives".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Oates was out of touch until he finally ran out of time