Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

punishedkissinger posted:

he's only the cook because he's familiar with the ingredients from the quadrant right? at least familiar enough to know which ones are edible or not

Yeah, that's the hook IIRC. They are trying to conserve energy so limiting replicator use, and instead stocking up on fresh foods when the call on certain planets, with Neelix as their guide. But as said, this good hook (a local guide makes perfect sense) ceases to make sense once Voyager has traveled far enough. Then they were stuck with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
you would think that cooking for hundreds of people who are active on different shifts all day every day would be more strenuous. but instead neelix seems pretty idle most of the time.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

you would think that cooking for hundreds of people who are active on different shifts all day every day would be more strenuous. but instead neelix seems pretty idle most of the time.

Perpetual Xl'uOx Stew

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
And he tried to do a drug deal to get a map to remain useful. And Janeway said “hey it’s fine if you have no knowledge of the space we’re about to enter, you’re part of the crew now and you can stay as long as you want for some reason”

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Haha sounds like maybe Voyager didn't think one of its premises through

lol

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

i feel like they gave him the Morale Officer job to try and phase him out of being cook.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i guess they could have replicated some automated cooking machines but then never mentioned or showed them. that's pretty sensible, as it would pad out the prop budget for no particular benefit. like, who wants to see neelix's high tech automatic kitchen? poo poo, that does sound kind of interesting actually.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

i feel like they gave him the Morale Officer job to try and phase him out of being cook.

delta quadrant's oldest profession

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

gets a fancy machine that automatically breaks down plants and animal carcasses for cooking

immediately removes his own lungs by accident

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
neelix will continue until morale improves

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

lwaxana is rodney dangerfield and the enterprise is her country club.

"I went to my wedding naked! The priest asked if anybody objected to this union and the groom did!" :dumbrim:

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

neelix will continue until morale improves

Everyone will acknowledge everything Neelix says by screaming "YES, CHEF!"

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

maybeadracula posted:

Haha sounds like maybe Voyager didn't think one of its premises through

lol

I mean, that whole thing is a decent plot point of an entire episode. I don't think that means they didn't think that would never come up

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

gets a fancy machine that automatically breaks down plants and animal carcasses for cooking

immediately removes his own lungs by accident

even in the distant future of star trek there's no substitute to the reliable polytron

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Hell yeah got to Tuvix episode in Voyager rewatch. LMAO they spent weeks with Tuvix literally weeks. Then Janeway murders him.

Also Neelix makes sense because cooking is just not a skill anyone on the ship really has because they're totally use to replicators.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Dec 10, 2023

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i'm confident that at least 1 starfleet officer can figure out the right setting and duration to properly phaser a leola root until it's cooked

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Neelix is basically a goon version of Alf.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

blatman posted:

i'm confident that at least 1 starfleet officer can figure out the right setting and duration to properly phaser a leola root until it's cooked

Riker is shown to be interested in cooking and so is Sisko , but the majority of humans like 99% are used to replicators and have grown up without cooking.

Although that doesn't really make sense because replicators only existed after the TOS so like at most 100 years.

It doesn't make a lot of sense.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Hell yeah got to Tuvix episode in Voyager rewatch. LMAO they spent weeks with Tuvix literally weeks. Then Janeway murders him.

Also Neelix makes sense because cooking is just not a skill anyone on the ship really has because they're totally use to replicators.

there's probably a bunch of people on the crew who can cook a bit. if you can replicate meals you can replicate ingredients and have fun with it. but home cooking and cooking at scale are very different.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I think its explained that Neelix has his cooking skills because he was on a ship as the cook ? I dunno where he got his "cook for shitload of people" skills or if its ever explained.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if he had worked as a ship's cook then he had experience being a ship's cook. i do not see how that is particularly mysterious.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

if he had worked as a ship's cook then he had experience being a ship's cook. i do not see how that is particularly mysterious.

I can't remember if this is true or not though.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I wish they'd kept more of Neelix's original personality from when they first met him in Caretaker, the quirky shifty crook with the bubbly personality. Voyager's "I can steal that for you," guy. Like Quark but not an rear end in a top hat. Once he gets a comm badge and those awful future fashion suits he loses a lot of his edge. He turned into a naive dope when he should have been a cany ratfuck and you only briefly see that side of him from time to time across the show when the writers bother to remember it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

O'Brien cooks for Keiko and tells her a fond memory he has of his mother's home cooking and she looks at him like he's grown a third arm on his forehead and goes "ew gross, meat"

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it wasn't even meat. it was a potato casserole and the part that really disgusted her was the capers.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
They go out of their way to point out that Sisko grew his own food to cook with and at one point he's cooking Chicken Paprikash which makes me think theres some place on DS9 where Sisko keeps some chickens that he'd kill for meals.

No one mentions it though they all know.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

it wasn't even meat. it was a potato casserole and the part that really disgusted her was the capers.

Nah nah he was talking about his mum's cooking and Keiko's eyes popped out of her head at the idea of chopping meat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZTB5Jt6Xhw

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the scene where o'brien 'cooked' for her was from ds9. i guess he spent a long time wearing her down before she was willing to try something so exotic as seasoned, roasted vegetables.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Riker cooked a terrible egg that only Worf liked

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm telling you all that Sisko kept basically a entire farm of animals on DS9 that he'd regularly slaughter.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
The second pylon was converted to a vertical livestock farm

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

It's just like how in Space Station 13 somebody's gotta play the Clown.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I thought he just replicated the ingredients but cooked by hand.

I do, however, prefer the idea that he kept a giant assortment of animals.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Grey Cat posted:

I thought he just replicated the ingredients but cooked by hand.

I do, however, prefer the idea that he kept a giant assortment of animals.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
If you want real, non-replicated meat in star trek they probably just grow whatever cuts they want since we're close to being able to do that now

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Tighclops posted:

If you want real, non-replicated meat in star trek they probably just grow whatever cuts they want since we're close to being able to do that now

That process was banned after the Meat Wars of 2034

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

It doesn't matter how many members of Voyager's crew could cook, because they don't have time. The ship is short staffed. They can't take a guy off engineering to cook. It's easier to recruit a cook than an engineer.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/nocontexttrek/status/1733669732996317617

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Hollismason posted:

No one mentions it though they all know.

Eddington rather famously prefered cooked food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Klingons must have wholesale gagh distribution throughout the quadrant.