Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Tiny Chalupa posted:

I feel like I'm getting a better handle on being a Psyker since I picked up Assail but I'm struggling to pick a ranged weapon that I like. Any pointers or suggestions?
I love the idea of a force staff but I'm sure I am going to kill myself via the warp if I'm chucking all the assail shards as well

I don't think anyone mentioned this, but Venting Shriek and Psykinetic's Wrath will save you from dying to peril overload if you pop them while the death animation is going. If you've just unlocked Assail, then you haven't gotten to your combat ability yet, so you have the default Psykinetic's Wrath. It can kinda serve as training wheels if you're worried about peril.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

You basically give that contingency up when you take the shield talent, right?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Potato Salad posted:

You basically give that contingency up when you take the shield talent, right?

Yeah, it replaces your activated ability. I think it's worth it though, once you learn to manage peril the bubble opens up a lot of breathing room for the entire team when you're getting stuck in a corner with flamers and trappers trickling in. Some loadouts are easier for managing peril than others, of course.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What does the little plus icon do on the talent screen?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

On the talent screen nothing as far as I know. It’s for equipment loadouts.

I wish it did change talents though.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Arc Hammer posted:

You hit it to set different builds/loadouts. Right click the icon of the new loadout button to change the icon.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Kibayasu posted:

The loadouts cover your equipment, cosmetics and talents, though it copies whatever you currently have equipped/the talent you have selected when you make a new loadout

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

Kibayasu posted:

The wargear sets store everything; equipment, talents, even cosmetics. Especially useful since the talent tree update. It would be absolute hell to respec talents every time I want to play a different build.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I tried multiple times to change talents with it. Did I get the order of operations wrong or something? I was doing it with a friend and they couldn’t figure it out either.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
Ogryn shield + shotty is so bonkers now. My auric winrate has gone from 10% to 50%. There is absolutely nothing it can't solo handle with taunt+dmg ult and heavy melee build. You regain so much toughness from every single melee swing that you can facetank a plague ogryn while vaporizing an entire horde of ragers and STILL have time left to oneshot-snipe the sniper 1500m away with your loving shotgun because that's how Ogryn rolls.

I love this big boye so much

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Kibayasu posted:

I tried multiple times to change talents with it. Did I get the order of operations wrong or something? I was doing it with a friend and they couldn’t figure it out either.

Can't say what you're doing wrong if you don't explain what you did. I guess try creating two loadouts, choose different talents for each of them, then switch back and forth and you'll see the differences. Note that when you create a new loadout, it copies the one you're currently on.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Kibayasu posted:

When you click the + loadouts button it creates a copy of your current loadout (Gear, cosmetics, and skilltree) and switches to it. So any changes like resestting skilltree or gear changes won't apply to your original loadout you started from

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
The new health stims are so good for psykers. Essentially allow an extra wound in the instance of downs so you can focus your curios on other things

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Kibayasu posted:

It's just a bit laggy, probably because some part of it is server-side or something. What works for me is to just click all the talents I want (even if they do not light up on the screen, it'll still work), switch to another loadout, and then switch back again after which it gets properly saved.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Kibayasu posted:

So the obnoxious thing about this is you have to set all your talents and then ESC out of the screen to lock it. If you set your talents and then go back to loadout or whatever, it forgets everything.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!
I feel like the new chainsword MkXIIIg flew under the radar a little bit, but it seems really good while having a simple moveset (which I know some of you in here like)

The light attacks have merely OK cleave but they're so quick that you chew through hordes super fast regardless, while the heavies do a ton of anti-armor damage, especially when revved. In fact a simple mediocre-statted grey one does way more damage to Crushers than my fully upgraded eviscerator does, wth

Nehru the Damaja posted:

So the obnoxious thing about this is you have to set all your talents and then ESC out of the screen to lock it. If you set your talents and then go back to loadout or whatever, it forgets everything.
No need to ESC out, switching back and forth between loadouts saves it as well and is quicker.

Though of course Fatshark ought to fix this at some point because it really is obnoxious as all hell.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
i lucked into a solid new chainsword variant earlier, got it specced with vs maniac, crit chance, shred, and that blessing that gives you more cleave on crit. gave it a go with a crit/melee specced veteran and yeah, ive been liking the mashy moveset. i daresay it's more effective to put in the effort with the og chainsword and heavy swings for crowd work, but simplicity has a charm of its own

Crackerjack
Nov 7, 2004
crackalackin

Slippery Tilde
I'm almost afraid to ask at this point, but what's the difference between a Scab and a Dreg? Like, lore-wise. Do they... work together as one faction? Are they all Nurgle cultists? Normally I wouldn't be too concerned with telling them apart, but this Ser Milk character seems awfully persnickety about paying attention.

Loadouts must be another one of those things that aren't communicated very well to the player, huh? I don't know when I started using them or how to troubleshoot, but I made a grainy gif of it functioning. Maybe a visual will be helpful? I dunno. But, man oh man, it's a huge QoL improvement once you get it going.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
Scabs are the traitor guard, dregs are the corrupted civilians(gangers?) in yellow, if I've kept them straight.

If you go into the training room you can highlight them it'll show the difference, scab gunner vs dreg gunner and the like.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Yeah generally dregs have better armor, las guns instead of projectile weapons, and talk more military if that makes sense.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Scabs wear the black flak armor, the dreg cultists wear yellowish rags and are largely unarmored with bits of flak.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

threelemmings posted:

Scabs are the traitor guard

Ha I didn't know that. As 40k was created in the UK in the 80s, that's a pretty clever name.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
According to website lore: The noble house Barquette used to rule Atoma. They were deposed by the current house Margrave and retreated to Tertium's lower hive levels to plot revenge. To that end they pledged their souls to Chaos in exchange for power and recruited from the Torrent gangers to swell their ranks. When the time was right, they unleashed the plague that has produced untold thousands (millions?) of poxwalkers. These cultists are referred to as Dregs in-game. Occasionally you'll hear Gunners shout relevant voice lines ("Step aside, lowborn!", when their shots are being blocked by Shooters and Bruisers).

The planetary guard quickly realized they were being overwhelmed and sent out a distress signal to the nearest Imperial Guard legion: The veteran Moebian 6th, natives of Atoma. The cavalry arrived in Tertium and immediately killed all the planetary defenders they were supposed to relieve. Apparently the Moebians had already turned traitor, succumbing to the Chaos whispers and falling in league with the heretics who they had been fighting on the frontier for years. The Dregs had orchestrated this by timing their attack when the Moebians were the only viable reinforcements nearby, ensuring they could land unopposed and consolidate their power. These traitor guardsmen are referred to as Scabs in-game. In one of the pre-release trailers you can see a Scab Captain kneel before one of the Dreg elites.

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000
Love the lore talk, it feels super hard to follow whatever the story is.

I rotate between Dum Dum/Infernus las pistol and Columbus infantry gun for auric zealot runs.

It definitely takes some time to get blessings for enough weapons that you can switch when one gets boring. If there's a weapon you enjoy you can almost always find some way to work it in.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

So I really don't like this new obscura den mission + the new fire + the director going apeshit with flamers and bombers in confined areas. At some point there is like nowhere to stand without melting.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Lol that Zola is paired with Krall for the Obscura den mission and he's really unhappy to be taken away from his mad scientist job.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

So I really don't like this new obscura den mission + the new fire + the director going apeshit with flamers and bombers in confined areas. At some point there is like nowhere to stand without melting.

Conversely, I really like all of this because it actually puts me in danger. Give me flame boy only mode I want to spend the rest of my life squinting through flames trying to figure out where to put my rumbler nades so they bounce off the most heads.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Fart gun boss was never scary to me until he ambushed my team in the tiny hallways right after you clear the data interrogator in Chasm Logistratum's ammo stealing mission.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

On the auric maelstroms it really sucks when 2 teammates leave after the maelstrom has already flipped to the next one so you can never get joiners and even when you and a random other buddy fight your way to pickup the 2 dead comrades they are just bots for ever and ever and then you die.

Diephoon posted:

Fart gun boss was never scary to me until he ambushed my team in the tiny hallways right after you clear the data interrogator in Chasm Logistratum's ammo stealing mission.

First time I had to fight him was in the same room as a daemonhost right after a dropdown, the one with the elevator in the middle but in this mission you just walk through the room (in theory). That ended up being a wipe :v:

Jeff the Mediocre
Dec 30, 2013

I hope if fat shark adds another class, they put in a poorly disguised necron. The rejects are too stupid to notice (guess the psyker might) and the guys in charge would be too desperate to say anything.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Jeff the Mediocre posted:

I hope if fat shark adds another class, they put in a poorly disguised necron. The rejects are too stupid to notice (guess the psyker might) and the guys in charge would be too desperate to say anything.

We could have a Flayed One, or we could have three grots in a trench coat. I know which one I’m rooting for.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

I mean a necron could just mindshackle scarab the entire ship's crew and make everyone its forever-slave, so there's always that as an option?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Admech weird guy could be cool.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Fishstick posted:

When you click the + loadouts button it creates a copy of your current loadout (Gear, cosmetics, and skilltree) and switches to it. So any changes like resestting skilltree or gear changes won't apply to your original loadout you started from

So my problem was that I assumed clicking the + button is what saved a loadout but I guess it only creates a loadout slot that you have to save again by click the loadout slot button? At least that's what I think I did and seemed to finally work.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Clicking the button creates the loadout. After that, any changes are made and automatically saved to the loadout you have loaded.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
Loadouts are bad at refreshing if you change tabs, closing and reopening the menu will show what is already saved, even if it looks like it reverted, so long as you don't mess with the reverted version at all.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
anecdotal poo poo here but i feel like pubbies are significantly worse when you're in a pre-made kill team and not just solo queuing. granted, i was carrying for my underleveled bro and his friend in diff 4 but drat near every pubbie we got was seriously dogshit

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

The easiest way for me to be sure a loadout's talents saved is to just click onto a different loadout and then back and it'll then show properly. If you click to say weapons and then back to talents it will falsely show as none selected.

toasterwarrior posted:

anecdotal poo poo here but i feel like pubbies are significantly worse when you're in a pre-made kill team and not just solo queuing. granted, i was carrying for my underleveled bro and his friend in diff 4 but drat near every pubbie we got was seriously dogshit
To me this reads as you took two shitters into a level 4 and then hoped the random wasn't also a shitter. Something something percentages.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
4s are the worst difficulty. It's where all the people who think they're ready for harder missions go to get abused for a while. If you're trying to carry 3/4 of the team, do it in 5/auric so there's at least a half chance the randoms are good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

tangy yet delightful posted:

To me this reads as you took two shitters into a level 4 and then hoped the random wasn't also a shitter. Something something percentages.

hey that's unfair, my bro and bud got most of the fundamentals down, but there's no justification for dudes 10 levels above them playing like they do