Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

drrockso20 posted:

On the other hand the second movie rightfully ditches what the show did with killing off most of Team Dai-Gurren on the approach to the Anti-Spiral as that always made things a bit too dour and also undermined both Kittan's sacrifice and even Nia's death to an extent as being important

This part sucked huge rear end in the original and it being gone is one of the highlights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Also while they did up the scale for the movie's version of the final battle it still ultimately all comes down to Simon and the Anti-Spiral beating the absolute poo poo out of each other in fisticuffs

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/MechaBREAK/status/1733705179080593482?t=D3CqtKEKqEG-alRsD6PD-w&s=19

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Unfortunately that appears to be a multiplayer focused game.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Still looks cool :shrug:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

Unfortunately that appears to be a multiplayer focused game.

So is Gundam EXVS and that's peak.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Arc Hammer posted:

Still looks cool :shrug:

It does! I'm just worried it's not gonna be as cool as it looks, because it genuinely looks rad.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0TDLckMA1c

This also looks cool and I want to see what Obari is cooking.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

drrockso20 posted:

Also while they did up the scale for the movie's version of the final battle

I haven’t seen the movies yet, so I’m very confused how they could pull this off. I’m excited as hell!!

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Did Obari get into Gungriffon? Because this looks like Gungriffon.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

God, the finale to the first season of Big O was so loving cool. Especially knowing that they assumed they'd never get to finish the show. No rush to an explanation, no trying to tie anything up, just introducing a ton of new questions and leaving everyone wanting more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QV60lsrlPbE

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I never thought I'd see this. A Kickstarter for an English language release of Macross 2

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/madoverlord/macross-ii-lovers-again-alus-edition?ref=ksr_email_user_new_friend_project

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Yeah AnimEigo has been trying to make this happen for awhile and I imagine they had to wade through loads of bullshit to finally be able to get to this point.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Hell yeah. Macross II isn't great but it's decent enough for what it is.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Insta-backed at Premium!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I kinda hope they don’t do the dub. That takes forever.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Doesn't Macross 2 already have a dub albeit ancient?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I'd imagine the rights to that dub are probably super hard to get given the original releasing company for the dub is no longer around so it's probably not worth the work especially given early 90's dubs can be spotty in quality. And it's not like it has nostalgia to it like say the original Akira dub had

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Hell yeah. Macross II isn't great but it's decent enough for what it is.

And what it is, is garbage. Bad lead, out of nowhere final romance, dull enemies, and no clue as how to balance it's tone. Animation and character designs are alright, at least.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Good animation is so rare nowadays that it's worth the less than stellar plot

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Arc Hammer posted:

Doesn't Macross 2 already have a dub albeit ancient?

Yeah in the 90's. I thought it was VHS only but apparently got an early DVD release from Manga Entertainment.

It's not amazing but it's fun enough and the soundtrack by the Evangelion guy owns.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i dont think its that hard to find shows with good animation

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The Colonel posted:

i dont think its that hard to find shows with good animation

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
In mecha news, Code Geass is returning to Japanese theaters next year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y58cbQpLi0g

Too early to say much about story or characters, but...I actually dig the mecha action here. We're back to rollerskating and jumping around!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Looks decent. I like the one Knightmare Frame that is literally just a box on legs.

I will say I hope that we eventually get mecha anime to move away from flat cgi planes for their battle scenes. It doesn't always happen but it does occur often enough for me to notice. On the plus side it makes mech fights with creative geography stand out all the more.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Dec 18, 2023

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

wielder posted:

In mecha news, Code Geass is returning to Japanese theaters next year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y58cbQpLi0g

Too early to say much about story or characters, but...I actually dig the mecha action here. We're back to rollerskating and jumping around!

Not since Akito have I been so underwhelmed. The action looks like every other CGI Mecha anime but with roller skates, the character designs are atrocious and the robots look too humanoid instead of going back to the superior KF's from S1.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i'm not really seeing enough of the action in that clip to make a good judgement on it tbh. all of those one second long clips look fine i guess but my immediate thought is the connective tissue between those cuts is going to be more important in how good the fights are, or at least a little bit of a sense of how the show transitions in and out of those little clips.

action on roller skates is a good sign though

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Gaius Marius posted:

Not since Akito have I been so underwhelmed. The action looks like every other CGI Mecha anime but with roller skates, the character designs are atrocious and the robots look too humanoid instead of going back to the superior KF's from S1.

Well, this is supposed to be a sequel. I get your point, but it would be like asking Gundam sequels to only use OYW-era suits. Technologically speaking, a lot of things have happened since the end of the first season. That's why I'm glad they still see some value in continuing to use ground combat Knightmare Frames in spite of this. I assume the staff knows people enjoy seeing rollerskating mecha in their Code Geass anime.

I quite liked the mecha battles in Akito way back in the day, though admittedly the camera work was a little hard to follow on small screens. Either way, 3DCG quality has improved since then and there's no going back.

As for the character designs, the late Takahiro Kimura was always a 1990s guy at heart. He even did Betterman, so multicolor hair doesn't bother me.

wielder fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Dec 18, 2023

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I think I only saw the first two episodes of Akito, but I loved how insect like the Alexander's were, but I didn't think the battle sequences themselves were particularly well done.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I've only ever seen the original Macross, Plus, Two and DYRL. I've seen summaries of the other Macross shows which kinda seem super out there but what ones are worth taking a look at in 2023?

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Synthbuttrange posted:

I've only ever seen the original Macross, Plus, Two and DYRL. I've seen summaries of the other Macross shows which kinda seem super out there but what ones are worth taking a look at in 2023?

The three pillars of Macross are mecha, music, and love triangles.

Macross Frontier is probably the most accessible of the "modern" Macross shows.

All the shows build on and reference previous shows, but it's usually explained enough by recap or just telling you outright what you need to know to get you up to speed.

HamburgerTownUSA fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Dec 20, 2023

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I thought it was about smoochin giant ladies

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Frontier is the best of the rest. 7 has a great soundtrack and some alright beats but is way too long, is ugly, and distributes the songs poorly. Zero is garbage. The 7 OVA's are fine. The Frontier Films are good, but are less good then the series which I suggest watching in full. I've never seen Delta.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Synthbuttrange posted:

I thought it was about smoochin giant ladies

I mean there's that too.

Gaius Marius posted:

Frontier is the best of the rest. 7 has a great soundtrack and some alright beats but is way too long, is ugly, and distributes the songs poorly. Zero is garbage. The 7 OVA's are fine. The Frontier Films are good, but are less good then the series which I suggest watching in full. I've never seen Delta.

7 had the unfortunate circumstance of being written for a certain amount of episodes, but getting greenlit for way more than that, which resulted in a scramble to fill that extra time. 7 is like 25 episodes too long and the pacing suffers massively because of it. It's probably my least favorite Macross show because of that, although I did like The Galaxy's Calling Me! and that one Encore episode, Fleet of the Strongest Women.

The Frontier movies are weird in the sense that they're recaps of the shows but also not, so I usually suggest to people to watch them after the show.

I was OK with Delta. People complain about the idol aspect of it, but I like all the music from it (and I like the live concerts), and Macross was always about idols anyways so it doesn't bother me. it suffers though from the opposite of 7 in that the story was very clearly written to be a certain amount of episodes, but only got greenlit for less episodes than needed, so some storylines (important ones, at that), just straight up get dropped, and only kind of referenced near the end. The Delta movies are the same situation as Frontier; recaps but not.

Zero was OK I guess; very clearly just something to put out for the sake of putting out something for the 20th anniversary.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
My biggest problem with Delta is that the first/pilot episode sets up a fantastic premise and a bunch of interesting characters, and then the production staff got rearranged and a different writing team brought in and none of the characters were the same people we'd been shown. It was the writing equivalent of going from a PS1 FMV to actual gameplay.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

7 is good because it features Fire Bomber and the others are bad because they feature no Fire Bomber. Frontier is the best of the others because at least one character understands that Fire Bomber is great.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Hellioning posted:

7 is good because it features Fire Bomber and the others are bad because they feature no Fire Bomber. Frontier is the best of the others because at least one character understands that Fire Bomber is great.

The second Frontier movie has the cast put together a Fire Bomber tribute band called Lovely Bomber.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
one of my favorite bits in frontier is how fire bomber is now dad rock

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Synthbuttrange posted:

Frontier is excellent. The three main leads are all really strong, likable characters and the romance is one of the better and more unique romances I've seen in any TV show.

Macross 7 absolutely kicks rear end, great characters, great music, just do be forewarned there's a stretch of like ten episodes that's just "Listen to my song!" "Anima spiritia, eeeeee!" over and over again

but both are definitely worth watching

Ardeem posted:

My biggest problem with Delta is that the first/pilot episode sets up a fantastic premise and a bunch of interesting characters, and then the production staff got rearranged and a different writing team brought in and none of the characters were the same people we'd been shown. It was the writing equivalent of going from a PS1 FMV to actual gameplay.

Jesus christ, the battle dancing and idols descending into an active warzone on rocket skirts is so good and such a natural evolution of Macross. And then episode 2 starts and you never se that poo poo again. Delta does have a pretty nice lesbian relationship, but not much else going for it, aside from being "more Macross"

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Dec 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Frontier features a battleship throwing haymakers.