Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

Inglonias posted:

someone taught them that people don't like being wolf whistled at, I guess?

Socially conscious budgies

Edit: underwhelming snipe, so here:

Aumy and ChitChit sharing a swing :3

ChitChit likes to do this:

Plastic Pal fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Dec 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
This thread can't have too many sweet budgies :3:

Qubee
May 31, 2013

My girls wolf whistle, I don't even know where they learned it from. But boy do I absolutely love it. Especially when they wolf whistle back and forth with me. I love being whistled at by them, makes me feel like a fabulous bird dad.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Plastic Pal posted:

Socially conscious budgies

Edit: underwhelming snipe, so here:

Aumy and ChitChit sharing a swing :3

ChitChit likes to do this:

:kimchi:

Qubee posted:

My girls wolf whistle, I don't even know where they learned it from. But boy do I absolutely love it. Especially when they wolf whistle back and forth with me. I love being whistled at by them, makes me feel like a fabulous bird dad.

bee posted:

This thread can't have too many sweet budgies :3:

:hai:

bee
Dec 17, 2008

I mean like it's impossible for there to be too many sweet budgies. Every post could have a sweet budgie in it and it wouldn't be too many!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnPnchT3_94

Qubee
May 31, 2013

The one thing that always makes me think that cockatiels are too pure for this world is the fact that even when they are angry or want to hurt you, they can never physically bring themselves to actually hurt you. They always do that fencing thing with their beak without actually clamping down. Or maybe they've got a darker side that I've not witnessed lol, when I babysat that cockatiel for a month, despite being utterly strange to him, he never once harmed me despite my coddling. It really does break my heart to think of all the poor little ones living abysmal lives.

Speaking of things too pure for this world, I absolutely adore my two idiots, and want to go on a trip down memory lane, as these photos melt my heart and make me miss when they were little baby nuggets. I don't have many flattering photos of Wasabi as a child as she was extremely sick, so all the pics I have are depressing during that time.

First night I got Chick, she was tiny and small and utterly dependent on me.

Chick and Wasabi having fun in their foraging bowl. We don't do it these days, I should probably start it back up with them.

Chick today, big chunky mama. She tears up the skies when she flies these days, I think it took a couple of big moults to get all her flight feathers back in because she's a lot more acrobatic compared to before. I used to assume it was a difference in personality, because Wasabi is absolutely insane when she's zipping around the room and I thought it was just genetic. But I think Chick had a horrible clipping job done when she was at the mill, but now that everything's grown out, she's more lightning-bolty when she flits about now and I love to see it.

I wish I was filthy rich so I could just build an incredible aviary and get them a whole flock.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Qubee posted:

The one thing that always makes me think that cockatiels are too pure for this world is the fact that even when they are angry or want to hurt you, they can never physically bring themselves to actually hurt you. They always do that fencing thing with their beak without actually clamping down. Or maybe they've got a darker side that I've not witnessed lol, when I babysat that cockatiel for a month, despite being utterly strange to him, he never once harmed me despite my coddling. It really does break my heart to think of all the poor little ones living abysmal lives.

Ozzy has definitely drawn blood, but he's better about that these days.

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

I have so much envy for people who can give their birds scritches like that. Two of my birbs are from PetSmart and they are NOT receptive to it at all. LoLo is from PetCo and came home completely ok with it. Someone in the process clearly loved her and gave her scritches. She's mostly lost that now tho because she's the youngest & picks up everything from the other two.

I probably could get ChitChit to accept them if I was careful & patient & persistent for a really long time.

Multibudgies definitely has its benefits & drawbacks!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

our birds used to be much more okay with it but the tighter that they bonded the less cool with it they were. which is honestly really fair since we can’t do nearly as good of a job as a beak.

still sometimes alex gets really desperate and comes begging anyway hehe.

they do both, especially alex, give us beak bumps where they shove their head up to touch their beak to our noses.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Plastic Pal posted:

I have so much envy for people who can give their birds scritches like that. Two of my birbs are from PetSmart and they are NOT receptive to it at all. LoLo is from PetCo and came home completely ok with it. Someone in the process clearly loved her and gave her scritches. She's mostly lost that now tho because she's the youngest & picks up everything from the other two.

I probably could get ChitChit to accept them if I was careful & patient & persistent for a really long time.

Multibudgies definitely has its benefits & drawbacks!

The camera lies, at least to some extent. Serra is one of the most bizarre cockatiels I've ever known in many ways. She absolutely demands scritches, but I have to be sitting a specific way, using a specific hand, etc etc etc. If a single thing isn't to her exact liking, then I get squeaked and beaked. Or she flies off at the speed of a jet.

But her pretend bites are exactly that, utter theater. I know this because twice she has been picking at my shirt, and accidentally caught the skin beneath. Holy GOD even her most casual "I'm picking up a crumb" bite feels like a pair of sharpened needle nose pliers. If she wanted to do it, I'd be full of bloody holes.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Our older budgie was the odd one out in his cage at the store and was picked on by his siblings. We had him as an only bird for a year and he absolutely loves people, especially my partner, but still never lets anyone pet him. He will stand on your shoulder and lick your face and fall asleep on you but refuse any touch towards him. Our second bird liked being pet when he was really little at the store and still let's me pet him sometimes, but overall is less sociable to people and more bitey. Its interesting to see their differences

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

titty_baby_ posted:

Its interesting to see their differences

It really is. I'm always amazed at how each of my birds is so different in personality from each other. LoLo's the impressionable tag-along who knows she's cute. Chit's the unfailingly sweet gentle one who is very concerned for the well-being of her friends. Aumy is the fast, strong, SUPER smart, high-strung, bitey, destructive alpha-bird who is Johnny-on-the-spot for treats.

Then I think about that on the global scale of birds and how each one has its own unique personality, even the wild ones and that's just so neat.

Birds are cool.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

You can see it if you just stand around for five minutes watching a flock of pigeons foraging.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Captain Log posted:

The camera lies, at least to some extent. Serra is one of the most bizarre cockatiels I've ever known in many ways. She absolutely demands scritches, but I have to be sitting a specific way, using a specific hand, etc etc etc. If a single thing isn't to her exact liking, then I get squeaked and beaked. Or she flies off at the speed of a jet.

But her pretend bites are exactly that, utter theater. I know this because twice she has been picking at my shirt, and accidentally caught the skin beneath. Holy GOD even her most casual "I'm picking up a crumb" bite feels like a pair of sharpened needle nose pliers. If she wanted to do it, I'd be full of bloody holes.

I can absolutely relate to needing things to be just so. Maybe not quite that specific, but I can understand it. There needs to be an ORDER to these things!

Qubee
May 31, 2013

titty_baby_ posted:

Its interesting to see their differences

I've noticed with budgies that they shift away from enjoyment of petting as they mature. My two as little babies loved cheek scratches, head scratches, all that good stuff. Couldn't get enough of it. As they grew up, they pulled back from it entirely. Became like your bird. They love the closeness and comfort, but not the actual touching aspect. Only one of my girls lets me kiss her on the beak, but that's more of a "I allow this because I wish to bite you", and I've walked away with a bloody nose too many times to count. But I get a solid 20 kisses for every 1 bite so I do it still. The other doesn't even entertain me getting anywhere close to her face and will peck me away, but - again - she will happily sit right close to my face and sleep for hours.

I think males are a tad better with the closeness, but even then, the general consensus is "Don't touch us". I make do with what I get and realise at the end of the day, they're their own little creatures and the fact they're even comfortable enough to sit on my shoulder is more than most get.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Inglonias posted:

I can absolutely relate to needing things to be just so. Maybe not quite that specific, but I can understand it. There needs to be an ORDER to these things!

I've lived with diagnosed OCD for something like three and a half decades. I'm a firm believer that a lot of parrots would be diagnosable as having some form of Birb OCD.

Although Serra's is loving severe.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Well, the vet assured me months ago that it'd be safe to add another bird to my family after losing Pesto so a few days ago, I picked out a new little buddy. I wanted to wait a little while and use the time to bond with Dijon and we managed to become very good friends. He even lets me open pin feathers on his face with tweezers or a finger.

Still haven't decided on a name for him yet! Thinking of Blue Cheese Buffalo or Bluchee for short.

He's already tame and steps up. He watched Dijon and I interact for the first little bit and I guess he knows I'm a safe object. Dijon's thrilled at having company again.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Well, the vet assured me months ago that it'd be safe to add another bird to my family after losing Pesto so a few days ago, I picked out a new little buddy. I wanted to wait a little while and use the time to bond with Dijon and we managed to become very good friends. He even lets me open pin feathers on his face with tweezers or a finger.

Still haven't decided on a name for him yet! Thinking of Blue Cheese Buffalo or Bluchee for short.

He's already tame and steps up. He watched Dijon and I interact for the first little bit and I guess he knows I'm a safe object. Dijon's thrilled at having company again.

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

Plant MONSTER. posted:

He's already tame and steps up.

Aww sweet blue boy <3

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Who needs a crackling fireplace when you've got a happy parrot?

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Welcome sweet blue baby bird :3:

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Plant MONSTER. posted:

May I suggest Chutney?

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009
dawww what a sweet little baby

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
He's already flying to me expecting millet lmao

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I wanna meet that Birb.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Off to a great start!

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

It's been a treat watching Dijon go back to acting a birdy. When he was alone he'd be very quiet, only making noise if I approached and spoke to him. Now he has a song-buddy!

This little guy is so tame. He's preening on my other hand as I type this out

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

Plant MONSTER. posted:

It's been a treat watching Dijon go back to acting a birdy. ... Now he has a song-buddy!

This little guy is so tame. He's preening on my other hand as I type this out

All this makes me so happy to hear. :kimchi:

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

I work at a place with animals and I'm falling in love with birds.

Get to bother this sucker on every work break.

(professional headshot, not mine)

Trinidad is a 33yo blue and yellow macaw. Likes to charm the visitors, then frighten them with a BRAWK.

When there's no guests, I talk or sing and he chimes in with squawks. Seems to like "Whirlwinds of Danger" more than "Mairzy Doats", also vibes to Christmas songs. Thought I might be annoying him but he called out as I left. :3:

platzapS fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Dec 11, 2023

bee
Dec 17, 2008

:swoon:

He is absolutely incredible. I think I'd never get any work done if there were birds at my work. Working from home with my own little birds and being productive is hard enough lol

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

:h: be good and try hard! :h:

I'm birdsitting for a friend for the first time later this week!

I met the birds yesterday, and they're a bunch of little misfits. I'm looking forward to taking care of them, I kind of missed babying sick birds after my budgies Starr and Spike passed away.

They almost all have special needs, but none are more special than Star the budgie (no relation to Starr the budgie), a little lass who lost some movement in her neck. It's a little eerie at first: her neck lists to the side constantly, and she needs to take birdie ibuprofen daily. (I'm used to administering meds, Starr was on a carousel of daily meds over her last few months.)
She likes to play alone and with other birds, but I want to make sure little Star gets the WORLD. Bless her little heart. She gets around on foot and beak, but she can't balance enough to fly.

There's also Barb, Star's bestie and recovering overplucker, Otis, the newbie quaker with trust issues, and Harold, the charismatic sweetheart cockatiel with a bad knee. :3: I'm going to dote on them so much!!!

My friend who asked me to birdsit wasn't aware that I had so much experience with sick bird care, so he was just having me cover one night when his usual birdsitter was unavailable- but as it turns out, I'm fully ready to care for these babies :3: I'm so glad he trusted me with his delicate flock! I'll share pics if he's okay with it!

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Heavens, Star, Barb, Otis and Harold are such amazingly top-tier names, in how they are so much NOT a set.
Also, special-needs budgies are beyond inspirational in how they just keep going and being as happy as they can no matter how much their bodies make that difficult for them.
They are lucky birds to have you to mind them :3:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Somedays, Blue is feeling his nine or so years and gets pretty invested in napping.

But not before making sure he is blocking Yellow from any potential threads, like a giant with a camera on his phone.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RQ0oFIR3sA

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Captain Log posted:

Somedays, Blue is feeling his nine or so years and gets pretty invested in napping.

But not before making sure he is blocking Yellow from any potential threads, like a giant with a camera on his phone.

They look real cozy.

I want to get a little platform like that for our guys. The older one seems to like laying down flat and napping with my partner on the couch and they don't really have anything to lay on like that in the cage

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Tux is a big fan of the hammock I made for him out of a seagrass doormat and some carabiners:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

titty_baby_ posted:

They look real cozy.

I want to get a little platform like that for our guys. The older one seems to like laying down flat and napping with my partner on the couch and they don't really have anything to lay on like that in the cage

The frustrating thing is how Yellow refuses to make her life easier. She has one flat perch she will hang out on sometimes. But most of the day, she insists on trying to perch. They are in a much smaller cage now, for her sake. But I had to leave all the perches mostly in place. When I put in new stuff, she just shuts down and won't move.

She's like a little old lady with two bad hips and vertigo who refuses to use a walker.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

bee posted:

Tux is a big fan of the hammock I made for him out of a seagrass doormat and some carabiners:

yeah seagrass mats / hammocks are what we make all our bird furniture out of. it’s living space plus activities since alex spends a non trivial amount of time “renovating” them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bee
Dec 17, 2008

I've had to re-install the hammock twice now because Tux chewed through the seagrass around the carabiner, causing the hammock to fall and Tux went tumbling down with it. For a clever bird he sure is silly sometimes. At least for now he's switched to chewing on the middle part instead of the end.