Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Straight outta gameawards:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMmU3mZ5gBc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

site posted:

sam looked like he was having fun

this was the most i've been vicariously happy for someone in a long while

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i've always liked remedy games but i think this one really kicked me into the next level. was very stoked to see sam lake show up to do the silly crab dance

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
wish they just went right into it with no intro and absolutely confused everyone in the world who didn't play the game

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Al! posted:

i've always liked remedy games but i think this one really kicked me into the next level. was very stoked to see sam lake show up to do the silly crab dance

What makes me giggle is wondering how many confused people were in the crowd wondering what the gently caress was going on

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

There were a bunch of people in the liveposting throws who were like "I thought I knew what kind of game Alan Wake was, what the gently caress is this"

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

TontoCorazon posted:

What makes me giggle is wondering how many confused people were in the crowd wondering what the gently caress was going on

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Lol

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

this rules so much

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Hell yeah

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

https://twitter.com/thieving_misery/status/1732996377863438778?t=JkIAZFIZTJIgmExfe2o_5Q&s=19

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Could someone tell me how far am I in the game without spoiling it? I just finished Chapter 5 with Saga and my current objective is to give the clicker to Scratch Alan. With Alan I just placed Alice's photos into the shoebox in front of Parliament Tower after exploring the Cinema.

Is there also a clearly demarcated point of no return for Saga? I'd like to fill out all of the case boards before completing the game.

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Dec 8, 2023

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Yeah, the game warns you when you hit the point of no return

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

you'll talk to someone and a pop up will appear to warn you

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Could someone tell me how far am I in the game without spoiling it? I just finished Chapter 5 with Saga and my current objective is to give the clicker to Scratch Alan. With Alan I just placed Alice's photos into the shoebox in front of Parliament Tower after exploring the Cinema.

Is there also a clearly demarcated point of no return for Saga? I'd like to fill out all of the case boards before completing the game.

You're somewhat close to the point of no return, which is clearly marked, and there's a few hours of gameplay after that point.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I decided that with all the noise about this game, I should buy AW1 and start from the beginning.

So far I am two chapters in and thoroughly spooked. And also, the combat is really not as bad as I was led to believe? Yeah, if there's more than two dudes on screen I'm probably gonna get dog-piled and murdered, but Alan is a writer. I'm not expecting him to be a combat god and "ohshit run" is a reasonable response for him. Except for that one bit in the woods where they spawned five dudes at once, that was a bit much.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I think that the core gameplay loop of AW1 is fine, it just severely lacks in variety for the length of the game. Whether or not that 's a big problem depends on how well you vibe with the atmosphere of the game.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Just don’t put it on Nightmare (on PC).

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Some behind the scenes of the Game Awards performance from David Harewood's IG:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C0rXwFQIF4e/

Psamtik I
Sep 30, 2005
I just started replaying Control and found this on a whiteboard at FBC HQ:

https://thishouseofdreams.blogspot.com/

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Psamtik I posted:

I just started replaying Control and found this on a whiteboard at FBC HQ:

https://thishouseofdreams.blogspot.com/

Oh yeah, that's fun. I missed it at the time because I lost track of Remedy after Max Payne 2, but I saw it after I played Control and went back to their other stuff.

My complaint today is that I keep seeing the Alan Wake 2 NG+ mentioned, but it's not out til tomorrow. Who releases things on a Monday, that's a whole weekend I could've been back in there checking it out! :negative:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The Old Gods album is out now and seems to include at least one totally new track?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1w2cn7LMh0

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 11, 2023

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

CapnAndy posted:

I decided that with all the noise about this game, I should buy AW1 and start from the beginning.

So far I am two chapters in and thoroughly spooked. And also, the combat is really not as bad as I was led to believe? Yeah, if there's more than two dudes on screen I'm probably gonna get dog-piled and murdered, but Alan is a writer. I'm not expecting him to be a combat god and "ohshit run" is a reasonable response for him. Except for that one bit in the woods where they spawned five dudes at once, that was a bit much.

I played it through on easy and had a blast, the visuals for the light are really good. I'm glad they don't have the Verizon ads everywhere, there's one right at the end that is really jarring

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Oh yeah, I randomly found my AW Remastered disc today. I hadn't had any real interest in going back to it again, but now that it's right in hand.....

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Just finished the game

I was kind of surprised how it ended. There was less resolution than I was expecting, and I don't know if much of it will be resolved for awhile. If anything a lot more questions get raised than the story wanted to answer. Which is fine, but I would have liked a little bit more. Otherwise the game was great and I just wish there was more of it. I'll be curious how this forthcoming DLC ends up working.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

A quick thought on the ending if it's a spiral and there's time fuckery, does that mean that Alan deliberately wrote the death of logan into the story after discovering door was her grandfather, and he would intervene to assist?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The Saddest Rhino posted:

A quick thought on the ending if it's a spiral and there's time fuckery, does that mean that Alan deliberately wrote the death of logan into the story after discovering door was her grandfather, and he would intervene to assist?
We really get so little about what the deal with Door is. That's certainly plausible, but if he doesn't know the child, wouldn't it make more sense that he wrote Saga in to potentially get his attention?

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Warlin Door is gonna make The Writer do all kinds of stupid poo poo as retribution... In Night Springs *stinger music 🎵*

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I do find it funny that, by the end of the game, essentially every major character is stuck in the Dark Place. Alan, Saga, Casey, Tim Breaker, Rose, Tor, Odin, and I'm probably forgetting someone else

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

I do find it funny that, by the end of the game, essentially every major character is stuck in the Dark Place. Alan, Saga, Casey, Tim Breaker, Rose, Tor, Odin, and I'm probably forgetting someone else

Only Garth Marenghi can save us now

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

FlamingLiberal posted:

NG+ will alternate between Ilmo, trudging through the forests trying to solve the murders of his friends in the Cult, and Jaakko, stuck in the Dark Place as he tries to reach his brother to stop the Dark Presence. The commercials will be more tragic than awkward.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I know the answer might be "turn the settings down", but I'm at the second Alan Wake section where I'm in some kind of city and have started hitting some serious texture streaming issues.

Any pointers as to what settings to tone down to remedy this? I have an RTX4060 and most things set to ultra save for the raytracing which is set to medium. It's been running fine up until this point.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
From what I've read rt use a poo poo ton of vram you're probably maxed out

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

site posted:

From what I've read rt use a poo poo ton of vram you're probably maxed out

Ah, cool, I'll try popping it to low. The game still looks pretty damned good without raytracing (and runs like a dream), but the ray tacking gives it an extra lovely kick.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

FWIW the non-RT global illumination uses some software RT under the hood, that's why it's so much heavier and better looking than most other games. You'll still have a great looking game without the RT. Don't feel like you're missing out on anything big by turning it off. It's not a radical improvement unlike say Metro Exodus or Dying Light.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://www.alanwake.com/story/alan-wake-2-update-notes/

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

New ending? God drat it

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

e: accidental post

acksplode
May 17, 2004

quote:

Improved overall quality of the occlusion culling algorithm, improving GPU performance especially on locations with a lot of geometry.

Ooh I wonder if that means outdoor locations are gonna run better. It's a bummer to optimize performance in an Alan chapter and then have Saga's chapters peg the GPU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RqBS_hpWo0
drat I might have to replay this game again