Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

How on EARTH did that last scene with Tennant not have Donna saying "Well, I suppose you'll take off eventually, like you always do." And 14 replies, "I don't want to go."

I mean, it'd be cringy, but exactly what I expect from RTD

E: I think that's the first time I've ever sniped a page. Have the official BBC photo of the new Doctor's package as a prize.

Wolfechu fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Dec 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Detective No. 27 posted:

The captions referred to Tennant’s Doctor as Tenth Doctor. I am vindicated for calling him 10-2 and not 14.

Dub credits also referred to him as Tenth Doctor on the dub credits scroll

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Please update the thread title to “Introducing The Fourteenth Doctor (Ncuti Gatwa)” so we can correct this confusion in the future, thanks in advance.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

What games would other Doctors have challenged Toymaker with?

I can’t decide if Three, Four, or Six would have gone with Russian Roulette.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Looking at old Toymaker stuff.

Steven Taylor has such a strong chin.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The most delightful thing about the Toymaker's German accent was how he was deliberately using the German grammar wrong. The second most fun thing was that NPH sounded exactly like the Medic from TF2.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

jisforjosh posted:

We're definitely in a universe now where myth and superstition are real. Why else would UNIT place the Toy maker's box in the deepest vault in SALT

I am kind of surprised they didn't show 14 hear and react to that, because I was like "WAIT A SECOND"

and if they have Ncuti going up against myths and legends due to it, I am gonna love this series (but please put in some funky old Who monsters too for fun RTD)

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

it has been so, so long since I've been excited for Christmas. What a fantastic series of specials :)

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I am kind of surprised they didn't show 14 hear and react to that, because I was like "WAIT A SECOND"

14 was busy dealing with the mavity of the situation.

(But same. I thought the Salt comment was a bit weird, but now that it's been pointed out...)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

That big unit HQ set looked far too well built, I assume it was done as part of spinoff development.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

and if they have Ncuti going up against myths and legends due to it, I am gonna love this series (but please put in some funky old Who monsters too for fun RTD)

I for one can’t wait to learn about Dalek mythology.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Coq au Nandos posted:

I for one can’t wait to learn about Dalek mythology.

I feel like a lot of their mythology would be about the Doctor.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

MikeJF posted:

That big unit HQ set looked far too well built, I assume it was done as part of spinoff development.

Especially the introduction of that weird robot guy. It felt very ‘here’s the gang!' to me.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

so, since Donna accepted that job offer, does that mean she's gonna be in the unit spinoff? :thunk:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Man, Ncuti is charismatic as hellllll.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Creature posted:

Especially the introduction of that weird robot guy. It felt very ‘here’s the gang!' to me.

The robot dude felt SO Sarah Jane Adventures to me that I immediately went "Hmmm, spinoff"

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

AndyElusive posted:

Man, Ncuti is charismatic as hellllll.

"Ok, 'kid'. I love you.. get out"
https://i.imgur.com/4jS15fi.mp4

Love the trend of each Doctor really not being able to stand each other for long :v:

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Apparently in the commentary RTD says as far as he's concerned, the bi-regeneration is basically like a timeline split, one where he regenerated, one where he didn't, except they're both still there.

Also, he suggests, as far as he's concerned, this bi-regeneration is so unusual and cataclysmic to the doctor's timeline that it affects all his previous selves too. There's a version of each of his incarnations out there as they'd be if they'd never regenerated.

(Tennant cuts in with: "McCoy is still in the morgue")

I dunno, that idea is a lot more palatable sounding. More of a "I'll bring back whichever Doctors I want for an episode, I don't care how old they are now!" feel to it.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Infinitum posted:

"Ok, 'kid'. I love you.. get out"
https://i.imgur.com/4jS15fi.mp4

Love the trend of each Doctor really not being able to stand each other for long :v:

This bit made me go "Oh hell yes!" for the next episode. Goddamn that man has style.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
I kind of hated that episode. All the worst sins of New Who.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

So I first watched it on my TV which has less than desirable sound, but rewatching the Spice Girls dance scene, I just notice they threw in a goddamn clown horn when Toymaker exits at the end and it's so loving funny

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
My favourite Donna moment of the episode was when she went into the room with the puppets. As Stooky Sue walked out my wife said "I would be drop kicking that IMMEDIATELY" and then a few seconds later Donna is just smashing the absolute poo poo out of the puppets and kicking Sue's head across the room.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, it's retroactive apparently. Every Doctor is now out there with their own TARDIS, title of The Doctor follows the most recent bigeneration.

I think I don't like this but maybe I'm too fan-brained to appreciate it? It just feels too messy to me, in a way that means it feels hard to grasp onto meaning. I guess what I'm saying is I hope bigeneration doesn't replace regeneration because I think it's probably less strong dramatically in the long run. Was fine with this time though! Was great!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

So I first watched it on my TV which has less than desirable sound, but rewatching the Spice Girls dance scene, I just notice they threw in a goddamn clown horn when Toymaker exits at the end and it's so loving funny

https://twitter.com/NthDoctorWho/status/1733778956577337768

:allears:

Welcome back, Rusty

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

lines posted:

I think I don't like this but maybe I'm too fan-brained to appreciate it? It just feels too messy to me, in a way that means it feels hard to grasp onto meaning. I guess what I'm saying is I hope bigeneration doesn't replace regeneration because I think it's probably less strong dramatically in the long run. Was fine with this time though! Was great!

I like it because it's messy. Fans get way too into the weeds sometimes.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

fez_machine posted:

I kind of hated that episode. All the worst sins of New Who.

It kind of ruled.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

Wolfechu posted:

I like it because it's messy. Fans get way too into the weeds sometimes.

Yeah this is what I mean by fan-brained. Sometimes you just need to relax and let it flow over you like a warm bath. I should embrace that!

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Time itself got extremely melty and the rules of what are and aren't possible now have a lot more give in them. The whole point of it is that it doesn't make quite make sense because the fundamental structure of the universe has broken down and is lot a less rigid around the edges.

ie: Doctor Who isn't even bothering to pretend anymore. It's just a fantasy adventure series that runs on space magic.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

dingo with a joint posted:

ncuti gatwa makes me wish i was into blokes. genuinely jealous of y'all androphiles.

As a bloke into blokes, and Ncuti being right up my alley, the next few years are going to be wild. :3:

I didn’t mind one bit that the first we see of him is just jumping in underwear. :kimchi:

Also UNIT had silver bullets on standby back for Morgaine’s incursion. They’ve always been slightly superstitious.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Ncuti's Sonic Screwdriver

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

As a bloke into blokes, and Ncuti being right up my alley, the next few years are going to be wild. :3:

Oh it's gonna take some getting used to having a Doctor that's sexy-model-hot. In past they were at best awkward-nerdy-hot.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Detective No. 27 posted:

What games would other Doctors have challenged Toymaker with?

I can’t decide if Three, Four, or Six would have gone with Russian Roulette.

Four would've suggested a game that doesn't exist.

Narsham posted:

I will be very happy if we get a The Three Masters episode at some stage. Delgado first appeared on-screen in Jan 2, 1971, so we missed the 50th, but it's an idea whose time could have come.

Here ya go:

https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/masterful-limited-edition-2197

and

https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/doctor-who-the-two-masters-1052

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh yeah we're rebooting everything.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

jisforjosh posted:

We're definitely in a universe now where myth and superstition are real. Why else would UNIT place the Toy maker's box in the deepest vault in SALT

It might also explain why going by the next trailer, we're going up against Literal Goblins. It'd actually be a pretty neat angle for a season of the show, seeing a Doctor have to deal with stuff that explicitly just doesn't follow 'real' logic.

...it also brings the amount of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure stands the Doctor just dealt with to five; six if you call the Giggle itself to be Survivor, which is a bit too much of a stretch for my liking but I can see it. (And seven if you also count Spice Girl, which you should.)

gently caress that was a good epsiode, though. I actually had a thought at one point that they were going to swing that the Toymaker was from the same 'outside the universe' that the Timeless Child was from. Which I'm actually a little disappointed they didn't do, because that'd tie a lot of things up weirdly well: the Toymaker was originally supposed to be a Time Lord, so it'd come full-circle in a very weird way.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'd never heard that about The Toymaker, where's that from?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Open Source Idiom posted:

I'd never heard that about The Toymaker, where's that from?

Tardis wiki credits Donald Tosh on the Time Meddler DVD commentary: they're apparently talking about the Monk and mention that the Toymaker was also intended behind the scenes to be of the same race as the Doctor, back when it was very undefined what the Doctor was. Was well before the Time Lords were named in The War Games.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

MikeJF posted:

Tardis wiki credits Donald Tosh on the Time Meddler DVD commentary: they're apparently talking about the Monk and mention that the Toymaker was also intended behind the scenes to be of the same race as the Doctor, back when it was very undefined what the Doctor was. Was well before the Time Lords were named in The War Games.

Yeah, it's perhaps not exactly right to say that 'he was supposed to be a Time Lord', but he and the Monk were originally planned to be the same species as the Doctor, and that species just didn't have a name at the time.

Weirdly, expanded universe stuff actually did stabilize to calling the Monk a Time Lord, but the Toymaker as a nebulous something else.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, it's perhaps not exactly right to say that 'he was supposed to be a Time Lord', but he and the Monk were originally planned to be the same species as the Doctor, and that species just didn't have a name at the time.

Weirdly, expanded universe stuff actually did stabilize to calling the Monk a Time Lord, but the Toymaker as a nebulous something else.

I think Big Finish settled on him being an "Elder God", something in the same sort of league as Fenric.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

I think Big Finish settled on him being an "Elder God", something in the same sort of league as Fenric.

And I said it earlier, with all the names dropped in this episode, it stood out to me that Fenric wasn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Fil5000 posted:

Yeah, that predates BF tbh. It's from the NAs, either All Consuming Fire or White Darkness I can't remember which.