Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Much like Jackson Lamb, that's all hiding a heart of gold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I can't get enough of Lamb loving with Tory scum.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I wanted to like Monarch really bad but it started out mediocre and has been steadily declining. The 50s stuff was okay, I don’t like anything going on in 2015.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
I liked the first 3 episodes well enough but 4-5 were a real slump.

They're not even necessarily bad, they're just churning around in the less interesting drama while the 1950's plot has been completely absent.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

All this time I just realized I confuse Slow Horses with the2011s Luck and wasn’t sure why we were still talking about it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That was more Dead Horses.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Can’t get much slower

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Caught up on Slow Horses and I'm glad they finally finished the job and flatlined Spider. When y'all were talking about another death I was worried it would be someone sympathetic.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I thought it was pretty funny how out of the way they went to really drive home just what a piece of poo poo he is first

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
It was a truly amazing showcase, for both showing how terrible the guy is but how great the actor does.

mystes
May 31, 2006

The whole thing was great. In the first episode or whenever I was suspicious of him because of how he said the kidnappers chose River because he was special (and how loving stupid did River have to be to fall for that line, lol) but then I figured he couldn't possibly be behind it so he must just be desperate. Then he turned out to be even more of a piece of poo poo then expected and the whole scene where he rubbed it in with River and crew was fantastic. And then for that episode to end that way was just absolutely perfect.

It's so good that it's almost a shame they can't somehow bring him back to life and have more of him.

mystes fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 12, 2023

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Goddamn each episode of Slow Horses just makes me want it to be next week so I can see the next

“Clear the board” :ohdear:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Absolutely howlingly funny that Hoe's big dick modded car is a loving automatic WRX.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

I'm just sad that it was neither the Hoemobile or Jackson asking him if he was a middle aged lesbian.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Kloaked00 posted:

Goddamn each episode of Slow Horses just makes me want it to be next week so I can see the next

Ingrid is so great (in an evil way of course)

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

:siren: https://deadline.com/2023/12/alexander-skarsgard-star-murderbot-apple-chris-amp-paul-weitz-1235668011/ :siren:

quote:

Apple TV+ has officially picked up Murderbot, a 10-episode sci-fi drama series starring and executive produced by Emmy winner Alexander Skarsgård (Succession). Based on Martha Wells’ bestselling Hugo- and Nebula Award-winning book series The Murderbot Diaries, the project hails from Chris and Paul Weitz (About a Boy) and Paramount Television Studios.

Now begins the hope/terror cycle of a favorite work getting adapted.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

If they don't get Kevin R. Free to voice it, there is no justice

mystes
May 31, 2006

I feel like this would be pretty easy to gently caress up and hard to do a good job of

Also they really should have gotten someone who's nonbinary to star in it

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

mystes posted:

I feel like this would be pretty easy to gently caress up and hard to do a good job of

Also they really should have gotten someone who's nonbinary to star in it

That would tank it before it ever saw a saw a release date

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

oh no, same.

Though Apple's willingness to put the money on the screen gives me hope

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Kloaked00 posted:

Slow Horses is everything I want out of a spy series. It's also got my favourite thing about British shows, which is that everyone is extremely funny at least once in the series.

mystes
May 31, 2006

So far slow horses season 3 is doing a really excellent job of having good pacing but also lots of character zaniness. If it can keep it up I think it's definitely better than season 1 or 2

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

They’re filming them 2 seasons at a time, so this is the first season they’ve made after seeing what really worked in the first 2. Also there’s like 6 years between the first Slough House book and this one which also probably helps.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

I don't trust any premium/streaming company outside of HBO.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

RestingB1tchFace posted:

I don't trust any premium/streaming company outside of HBO.

HBO can't be trusted these days, Zaslav is throwing shows off building with two in the back of the head.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

re; Monarch.

The big problem it has is that there's a lot of mysteries the show could be building to revealing to the characters, but not the audience.

So if the answer to the mystery of the Monarch files is Hollow Earth related then that might be interesting to the characters and the fictional organization, but not to the viewers who already know all about it.

With that in mind, what could the series be being up to revealing that would be a big deal to the characters and Monarch, but also the audience?

Minilla, of course. This also ties into the trailer for GxK where we see Kong Jr.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Where the hell did Godzilla come from being under that hill?

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

latinotwink1997 posted:

Where the hell did Godzilla come from being under that hill?

Even better, they seem to somehow have lost him again after that. He is one sneaky lizard!

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Is there a better thread than this to talk about the new Apple TV OS update?

Slow Horses is decent, feels incredibly like a BBC production, especially given the fact that they used the BBC building’s reception area and some of the inside for the MI5 building.

Shame they also copied the incredibly short number of episodes per season.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

wooger posted:

Is there a better thread than this to talk about the new Apple TV OS update?

here probably
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748522

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

njsykora posted:

They’re filming them 2 seasons at a time, so this is the first season they’ve made after seeing what really worked in the first 2. Also there’s like 6 years between the first Slough House book and this one which also probably helps.

Oh that makes a ton of sense. Seasons 1 or 2 I thought were well done but like, B+. This season is the tits though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

PriorMarcus posted:

re; Monarch.

The big problem it has is that there's a lot of mysteries the show could be building to revealing to the characters, but not the audience.

So if the answer to the mystery of the Monarch files is Hollow Earth related then that might be interesting to the characters and the fictional organization, but not to the viewers who already know all about it.

With that in mind, what could the series be being up to revealing that would be a big deal to the characters and Monarch, but also the audience?

Minilla, of course. This also ties into the trailer for GxK where we see Kong Jr.

Maybe something involving time travel because they keep pointing out that Shaw is definitely not 90 years old.

Anyway, I'm super excited for a Murderbot tv series. I'm assuming season one will cover the entire GrayCris arc since each piece of it could probably be done in one or two episodes.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

muscles like this! posted:

Maybe something involving time travel because they keep pointing out that Shaw is definitely not 90 years old.

Anyway, I'm super excited for a Murderbot tv series. I'm assuming season one will cover the entire GrayCris arc since each piece of it could probably be done in one or two episodes.

That's a good idea. Maybe the Hollow Earth does have more going on than it seems, and there's some kind of temporal fuckery?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

wooger posted:

Shame they also copied the incredibly short number of episodes per season.

It's funny to me that "prestige TV" has basically caught up with old British TV in terms of short seasons, but from the other direction. Traditionally it was "we don't have the workforce and budget to make long seasons", now it's "we're spending too much money per episode and don't want to take risks, so we'll only do a short season"

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

It's funny to me that "prestige TV" has basically caught up with old British TV in terms of short seasons, but from the other direction. Traditionally it was "we don't have the workforce and budget to make long seasons", now it's "we're spending too much money per episode and don't want to take risks, so we'll only do a short season"

Hmm, I mean slow horses has a couple of megastar actors but it doesn’t seem like it’d cost much to make vs anything with effects or a period drama like Gilded Age on HBO.

Is everything on a streaming platform prestige TV?

I get what you’re saying though.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I think the point is more that British TV has usually gone with short (what Americans would call "miniseries") series' for dramas and sitcoms partially down to cost and partially because we don't really use the seasonal system American TV does. Which tends to work very well for streaming where you need to constantly have something new so a 6-8 episode series works very nicely.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You don't really realize how crazy UK TV is until you look up one of their cultural zeitgeists and you see there's only been like 5 episodes of Mr. Bean, released one every 2-3 years or whatever and you're just wondering why it is such a big part of their culture.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Rowan Atkinson, mainly.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Also endless repeats because those episodes get rolled out every bank holiday. Same thing with Wallace and Gromit where it’s easy schedule filler on holidays except actually good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flux Wildly
Dec 20, 2004

Welkum tü Zanydu!

We also only had like 4/5 terrestrial free to view channels for a really long time so viewing was not especially spread out among different options