Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
i often forget to take my shoes off inside but i gotta admit a nice pair of house slippers really hit the spot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
International Burger King locations (Orange: formerly had BK; Blue: Under construction; Green: military; Yellow: same company different name)

International McDonald's locations (various colors: year of entry; dark grey: formerly had McD's)

I was surprised by how BK is slightly more international than McD's. That McD's map also has some errors too, like Iraq no longer has a McD's, but it has a dozen Burger Kings.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Wearing shoes and/or socks sucks. Where Spain goes wrong is having way too many tiles and too little wood. I'm standing bare feet on a wood floor right now while it's 2 degrees outside, and it's way better than wearing socks. But if I was in the basement where we have tiles, I'd put on my soft pink woolly shoes.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

BonHair posted:

Wearing shoes and/or socks sucks. Where Spain goes wrong is having way too many tiles and too little wood. I'm standing bare feet on a wood floor right now while it's 2 degrees outside, and it's way better than wearing socks. But if I was in the basement where we have tiles, I'd put on my soft pink woolly shoes.

Yeah, floor heating is great. The other problem Spain has is that they have zero insulation, every window is single paned and often has gaps so large that insects can crawl through them. I'm always surprised at how lousy insulation is in apartments in Spain (and to a lesser extent, Italy). Like sure it doesn't get that cold, but an unheated apartment in Spain when it's 15°C out is going to be way colder than an apartment that's unheated when it's 5°C out in Germany because the Spanish apartment will instantly equalize to the outside temperature.

Also, based on Tei's post, it seems that Spanish people have not yet invented socks, and they have not yet figured out that slippers are supposed to be worn in winter ("What some people do is wear pantuflas.... slippers. But is not even a thing you want to wear in the winter." is a completely baffling quote to me.)

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
They also haven't gotten the germ theory of disease yet but that might just be SA Poster Tei, not Spain as a whole

Brb gonna step barefoot onto the comfortable, carpeted wooden floor of my insulated, heated apartment while it's -5°C outside so that I can find my "pantoufles", a traditional favourite winter foot covering

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Wow y'all ever heard of these "rugs"? I wouldn't want to walk on them with my crudded up shoes but boy are they warm and comfy to walk on barefoot or in "slippers"

They must be a recent invention I bet

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

All the people getting angry at shoes inside countries, that doesn’t mean you sit in you six inch timberlands in your living room, it means visitors will not be asked to remove their shoes as it would be considered impolite to ask them to do so. That is all.

Glah
Jun 21, 2005
Dunno if I'd be angry angry, but I'd be miffed if some visitor came to my home from your typical slush weather and didn't remove his shoes before coming to my living room.

And I'm not even miffed that some people see that as normal thing to do in their house, after all it's not my house. It's just seems so......uncivilized, like thinking that pineapple shouldn't be put on pizza or not having your dogs on a leash when walking them around town (looking at you Germany).

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
Besides indoor shoes in american TV shows confusing me as a kid, another thing was all apartment and building doors opening inwards! I could only assume so police and actiony people could smash them for convenient entry or something...

But outward facing doors are apparently only a scandinavian and floridian thing? Apparently rare enough that no maps exist. So we're the freaks for once.

Threadkiller Dog fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Dec 9, 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I replaced my door to the back yard from inward opening to outward because it generally gets used when I'm carrying something out (trash, plants, outside food in summer) and coming back in empty handed, so it's a lot more convenient.

Front door opens inwards so I don't hit visitors or delivery people in the face, but I guess in places where outward opening is the norm people stand to the side?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Outward facing is naturally more secure because you can put the hinge pins on the inside and brace the whole thing against the frame. So if you're expecting someone to try and batter your door down you probably want it outward facing.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Maybe try living in a country in which you are not threatened by marauding norsemen?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

All the people getting angry at shoes inside countries, that doesn’t mean you sit in you six inch timberlands in your living room, it means visitors will not be asked to remove their shoes as it would be considered impolite to ask them to do so. That is all.

Yeah, I do get that -- I just still don't get at all how it works when it is has rained outside and the person is coming into your house. If the ground is bone-dry then a brief scrub on the welcome mat would be fine, but if the ground is damp then ?? you'll have gross shoeprints everywhere, regardless of how well you supposedly scrub the welcome mat (which I'm sure is itself cleaned approximately once every never years). North Africa is still all "use your socks, or sometimes switch to slippers when entering" and it basically doesn't rain there for 8 months of the year.

Don't really have an opinion on front doors opening inward or outward. They're all inward opening here in Switzerland as far as I can ever remember. I've never heard of someone getting burgled through the door anyway, every burglary I've ever heard of was from either the windows on ground floor apartments, or the terrace doors on 2nd floor balconies that someone spiderman'd into.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Tei posted:

And I am here wondering how the countries that work withouth shoes inside the house function. I am curious.

In Spain the floor is super cold. You would get the flu very quickly and get it again the second time you try to have your naked feet touch the ground. Is not a thing you can possibly do, is imposible. What some people do is wear pantuflas.... slippers. But is not even a thing you want to wear in the winter.

So, how these countries that don't wear footwear function?, do they have thick socks?, do they DO wear footwear, but is a different set than the one they wear outside? they socks have not holes and smell bad?

I just want to thank you for this post. It's wild.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Ditocoaf posted:

I'm extremely into this, and I want to preemptively argue that floor plans are a kind of map and so on-topic for this thread. Let's see some more floor plans I can either pine over or laugh at.

How about a floor plan of despair?

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Rebel Blob posted:

they should just repurpose these plans as his mausoleum now that he has passed. a new wonder of the world but in Omaha

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Rebel Blob posted:

Those are student residences, for kids in their late teens and early 20s. Looks like most other dormitories, and totally fine? So for every 8 people they share a kitchen, 2 bathrooms, and everyone gets a private room. 8 is kind of a big suite and at least 2 of those kids will be shut-ins / cast-outs that ignore/are ignored by the entire rest of the group, but broadly that seems OK? My college housing was 4 people to 1 shower-toilet (same room), a common area that is probably proportionately smaller than the one in that 8 person suite, and then we had like 60 people — the entire floor — sharing one kitchen. It was a nice university with the housing block that I lived in built just a few years before I started.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Threadkiller Dog posted:

But outward facing doors are apparently only a scandinavian and floridian thing? Apparently rare enough that no maps exist. So we're the freaks for once.

Doors should face inward so you can open the door to tunnel through the snow instead of being trapped in by it.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Saladman posted:

Those are student residences, for kids in their late teens and early 20s. Looks like most other dormitories, and totally fine? So for every 8 people they share a kitchen, 2 bathrooms, and everyone gets a private room. 8 is kind of a big suite and at least 2 of those kids will be shut-ins / cast-outs that ignore/are ignored by the entire rest of the group, but broadly that seems OK? My college housing was 4 people to 1 shower-toilet (same room), with like 60 people — the entire floor — sharing one kitchen.
With no windows, so no natural light or ventilation, in the private or shared "cluster" rooms; only in the common areas shared by 64 students? In a massive building with 4,500 students, which would put it in the top 10 most densely inhabited spots on the planet?

An architect on the review board for this monstrosity resigned in protest after it was approved, saying it was “unsupportable from my perspective as an architect, a parent, and a human being.”

Rebel Blob fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Dec 9, 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

MeinPanzer posted:

Typical indoor floor in Spain

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Saladman posted:

Those are student residences, for kids in their late teens and early 20s. Looks like most other dormitories, and totally fine? So for every 8 people they share a kitchen, 2 bathrooms, and everyone gets a private room. 8 is kind of a big suite and at least 2 of those kids will be shut-ins / cast-outs that ignore/are ignored by the entire rest of the group, but broadly that seems OK? My college housing was 4 people to 1 shower-toilet (same room), a common area that is probably proportionately smaller than the one in that 8 person suite, and then we had like 60 people — the entire floor — sharing one kitchen. It was a nice university with the housing block that I lived in built just a few years before I started.

It's like one step removed from a prison.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
*Michel Foucault voice* Yes, student residences.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nothing more conducive to learning than being shoved into the human storage cube for your obligatory refuel cycle.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
In the Foucauldian worldview it's very conducive to learning that you're in one of many types of prison.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Guavanaut posted:

In the Foucauldian worldview it's very conducive to learning that you're in one of many types of prison.

I was going to say "life is a prison" but I've heard under good authority it is, in fact, a highway.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

JosefStalinator posted:

I was going to say "life is a prison" but I've heard under good authority it is, in fact, a highway.

But which highway?

Hope it's not the BQE or the Katy Freeway.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Rebel Blob posted:

With no windows, so no natural light or ventilation, in the private or shared "cluster" rooms; only in the common areas shared by 64 students? In a massive building with 4,500 students, which would put it in the top 10 most densely inhabited spots on the planet?

An architect on the review board for this monstrosity resigned in protest after it was approved, saying it was “unsupportable from my perspective as an architect, a parent, and a human being.”

Oh, yeah I was just looking at the rendering of the suite. Looking at the floorplan I'm kind of confused now by how that corresponds to the 3D model. The model in the 5 most visible rooms on the left clearly shows windows, plus the kitchen window, and the viewing angle doesn't make it obvious that the three right-side bedrooms rooms don't have windows (they have a slit that the two bathrooms don't). Are those windows opening up into interior hallways, or are they fictitious? Or is it like... an LED lightbox? Now looking at the actual floor plan, I don't see how the 3D rendering with windows would be accurate for any of the suites, as none of them appear to face outwards on the "5 to a side" part of the suite.

Other than the window, the actual density seems fine to me though? It's a student residence. My single in a suite of 4 was the same size as those rooms, and our common areas were shared by 60 students, and tbh they were never even remotely crowded. I think I saw someone cook in the kitchen maybe three times in the three years I lived on campus. I had an exterior window though, that particular bit is egregious.

Edit: They are in fact fake windows with a lightbox, lol: https://www.cnn.com/videos/business/2021/11/02/munger-hall-ucsb-dorm-controversy-gr-orig.cnn. Ok that is incredibly awful.

E2: It was supposed to cost loving $1.4 billion? To make a 3500 bedroom Kowloown style student dorm? $400k for a single? lol, could have built a second Burj Dubai instead for literally the same price tag. Actual wtf.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Dec 9, 2023

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Saladman posted:

Oh, yeah I was just looking at the rendering of the suite. Looking at the floorplan I'm kind of confused now by how that corresponds to the 3D model. The model in the 5 most visible rooms on the left clearly shows windows, plus the kitchen window, and the viewing angle doesn't make it obvious that the three right-side bedrooms rooms don't have windows (they have a slit that the two bathrooms don't). Are those windows opening up into interior hallways, or are they fictitious? Or is it like... an LED lightbox? Now looking at the actual floor plan, I don't see how the 3D rendering with windows would be accurate for any of the suites, as none of them appear to face outwards on the "5 to a side" part of the suite.

Other than the window, the actual density seems fine to me though? It's a student residence. My single in a suite of 4 was the same size as those rooms, and our common areas were shared by 60 students, and tbh they were never even remotely crowded. I think I saw someone cook in the kitchen maybe three times in the three years I lived on campus. I had an exterior window though, that particular bit is egregious.

Edit: They are in fact fake windows with a lightbox, lol: https://www.cnn.com/videos/business/2021/11/02/munger-hall-ucsb-dorm-controversy-gr-orig.cnn. Ok that is incredibly awful.

There is a good youtube video critiquing the building.
Among other thing they do the math and because the building wastes a lot of space on dumb things it actually has less density then a commie block even if you pretend each student is a whole family that has a 3 room apartment in the commie block.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

8 bedrooms per suite, 8 suites per "house", 8 of those per floor... I assume it's 8 floors tall to complete the mathematical pattern that seems to be the only design goal?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Saladman posted:

E2: It was supposed to cost loving $1.4 billion? To make a 3500 bedroom Kowloown style student dorm? $400k for a single? lol, could have built a second Burj Dubai instead for literally the same price tag. Actual wtf.

That’s because it was a scam for kickbacks.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Saladman posted:

construction costs in the US are hosed

Deformed Church posted:

I deal with fire compartmentation at work and having seen the general standard, especially but not exclusively in older buildings, I think you guys should hold on to the multiple staircase thing for dear life.

the US with its extensive and demanding egress requirements has more fire deaths (though still low) than Europe iirc

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's because half of Europe keeps their floors too cold for fire to spread rather than requiring female herons on the building.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

That's because half of Europe keeps their floors too cold for fire to spread rather than requiring female herons on the building.

All the influenza cases being transmitted by the cold floors are worth it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
That’s how you build flock immunity.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

VictualSquid posted:

There is a good youtube video critiquing the building.
Among other thing they do the math and because the building wastes a lot of space on dumb things it actually has less density then a commie block even if you pretend each student is a whole family that has a 3 room apartment in the commie block.
Link?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

OwlFancier posted:

Outward facing is naturally more secure because you can put the hinge pins on the inside and brace the whole thing against the frame. So if you're expecting someone to try and batter your door down you probably want it outward facing.

this is true but you need a deadbolt or you can just break in with a bit of string and a paperclip

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 44 hours!

MeinPanzer posted:

This thread is great to know how people around the world live. And silly fun maps :D

Guavanaut posted:

Typical indoor floor in Spain

https://fascinatingspain.com/place-...orner-of-spain/

https://euroweeklynews.com/2021/07/14/the-coldest-town-in-spain-hits-zero-degrees-in-august/

Tei fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Dec 10, 2023

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Saladman posted:

Yeah, I do get that -- I just still don't get at all how it works when it is has rained outside and the person is coming into your house. If the ground is bone-dry then a brief scrub on the welcome mat would be fine, but if the ground is damp then ?? you'll have gross shoeprints everywhere, regardless of how well you supposedly scrub the welcome mat (which I'm sure is itself cleaned approximately once every never years). North Africa is still all "use your socks, or sometimes switch to slippers when entering" and it basically doesn't rain there for 8 months of the year.

No, that's it, your scrub real hard on the welcome mat and hope for the best, unfortunately. Trying to make my home shoes off has been an uphill battle, and the flu thing is a widespread belief too, at least in Brazil. I had pneumonia as a kid and the doctor told me and my parents that my then habit of walking barefoot on the floor tiles at home was a contributing factor. Since then i've had sandals to wear exclusively inside.

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Dec 10, 2023

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I was misremembering, each person in the commie block would only have around less then twice the space of the murderdorm.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXd7Y3HvUj4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Tei posted:

This thread is great to know how people around the world live. And silly fun maps :D

This reminds me of when I was living and doing some work at a research institute in Greece a few years back. The people working there were about 30% foreigners and 70% Greeks. Everyone worked in an old building that was in essence a long open-plan warehouse and during the summer it got incredibly hot. Many of the windows didn't open, so it was really hard to get any air flow going.

While I was there the director received a donation to upgrade the building and they installed AC, which was amazing. Only as soon as a foreigner would turn it on, the Greeks would start complaining and open all the doors, arguing that the cold air blowing on their necks would make them all sick. When the foreigners told them that was an old wives' tale, they stood their ground. A Greek guy who had a PhD actually explained to us that it was in fact unhealthy to have AC on because it circulated all the germs inside the building (!). This turned into an ongoing struggle for a few days as someone would turn on the AC and then another person would go open all the doors.

Eventually the director caught wind of this and got pissed off because they had spent all this money installing the AC and it was being wasted. The AC got turned on, the Greeks didn't open all the doors, and, wouldn't you know it, everyone turned out to be fine!