Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!
All of this sounds like a lot of work. It's quite easy to see how none of our problems can get solved when the solutions are so convoluted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Truga posted:

realtalk, in locales with extreme temperature changes where even modern coolants can't cope, you dig a small hole and run water through that, underground temperature only changes by a few degrees over the whole year so your refrigerant works fine. it is more expensive to install, but does keep up the efficiency

Ground source are indeed more efficient, but you need the land area to do the pipework and it's a big job to tear up the ground and lay them. In the UK they cost probably over £20k on average, while air source heat pumps are £10k and up. You need to have a decently insulated house, and likely larger radiators to handle the larger flow rates at lower temps, lower even than a combi-boiler using weather compensation data to adjust the heat curve. Under floor heating would be the best setup ideally, although that's naturally even more expensive.

And lol at UK housing stock being able to manage that, hence the Tory press going on about a single lord's manor from 1700 with a 15 kW heat pump being bitterly cold in that one week it was -10ºC and snowy out.

coke
Jul 12, 2009
yeah and we are having global warming right now so heat pump that can also cool will likely to be more useful in the future anyway

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

coke posted:

yeah and we are having global warming right now so heat pump that can also cool will likely to be more useful in the future anyway

yeah someone brought that up a couple months ago. we're never getting rid of AC, because if you have a heat pump, you probably have a double unit that does AC too

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

coke posted:

Typically, I find models most often on sale are air source and water heating and the more expensive ground source ones too. Air-to-air setups are rarer as it means you then need a second system for hot water, and actually you kinda do even with air-to-water systems since the low energy heat feeds into an immersion heater back up water tank to kill off legionella and make sure you do always get hot water.

I do have a portable A/C unit I got last summer when it was +40ºC here in Anglia, and it was a fun experiment for only £250. I made it so the unit was sat outside blowing cool air into my main bedroom, which massively improved the efficiency since the condenser is now outside and it doesn't cause negative pressure in the house, making it suck in hot air and force the unit to work harder. I expect next summer with El Niño will be where I get to see it pay back the outlay.

SixteenShells posted:

yeah someone brought that up a couple months ago. we're never getting rid of AC, because if you have a heat pump, you probably have a double unit that does AC too

It's really just a question of having a reversible valve and pump for changing the, uh, polarity? Of the system. Any A/C is also a heat pump in basic engineering terms because they do the same thing and it's reversible. A fridge is literally that.

You could buy a chest freezer and put container of water in it and have it cool them whilst in your house and use it like a space heater with the efficiency of a heat pump. It just wouldn't be very convenient.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw has issued a correction as of 00:50 on Dec 10, 2023

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!
It seems like a heat pump is an AC but missing the most important functionality in the context of global warming, that being to remove warm air from indoors and replace it with cool. It honestly sounds like a joke product

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Dokapon Findom posted:

It seems like a heat pump is an AC but missing the most important functionality in the context of global warming, that being to remove warm air from indoors and replace it with cool. It honestly sounds like a joke product

I'm told heat pumps on the continent and in Asia have been a thing for decades. The most common sellers like Mitsubishi and Daikin units, are essentially your heating and cooling HVAC all-in-one. If you go into any shop or cafe on the high street, do you see radiators or massive fan heaters? No. They'll be warmed (and cooled) by heat pumps outside, like most commercial properties, to maintain a constant temp.

It's just we now see the tech be brought more to the consumer for households whereas in the past it was just A/C for the hot countries, now places like the UK where cold winters and hot summers happen can have that option if they so choose.

If the AMOC shuts down, we at least can use those units to heat if they no longer require the cooling function, or you an MacGuyver the A/C to heat instead.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Dokapon Findom posted:

that's literally all it is. it's just that it still works even when it's cold out.

coke
Jul 12, 2009

Dokapon Findom posted:

wait do you think that’s how the traditional ac works in the us?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

Ground source are indeed more efficient, but you need the land area to do the pipework and it's a big job to tear up the ground and lay them. In the UK they cost probably over £20k on average, while air source heat pumps are £10k and up. You need to have a decently insulated house, and likely larger radiators to handle the larger flow rates at lower temps, lower even than a combi-boiler using weather compensation data to adjust the heat curve. Under floor heating would be the best setup ideally, although that's naturally even more expensive.

And lol at UK housing stock being able to manage that, hence the Tory press going on about a single lord's manor from 1700 with a 15 kW heat pump being bitterly cold in that one week it was -10ºC and snowy out.

vertical boreholes are often the solution to needing a bunch of land, but that doesnt solve the Tory problem.

Dokapon Findom posted:

ACs are heat pumps

also one of the cool things about climate change is it will make some winters more extreme in some places even as the planet overall heats up

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Trabisnikof posted:

vertical boreholes are often the solution to needing a bunch of land, but that doesnt solve the Tory problem.

ACs are heat pumps

also one of the cool things about climate change is it will make some winters more extreme in some places even as the planet overall heats up

um actually climate change supposedly hot but now you say cold? checkmate much?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i had a heat pump installed this year to save on gas, have ac for ever hotter summers, and for the new smoke season. triple threat :smug:

i don’t think it’s saving me any money but that’s because I’m forever cursed to make poor decisions

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Trabisnikof posted:

That's true. I don't think I've ever seen a company promote those though, they all seem to have focused on shallow grid heat exchangers instead of the boreholes method.

The Tories are busy doing massive deep boreholes with their polling numbers, so it's progress of a sort. They can jump down into them and Hell for that non-heat pump heat they so crave.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

That's true. I don't think I've ever seen a company promote those though, they all seem to have focused on shallow grid heat exchangers instead of the boreholes method.

The Tories are busy doing massive deep boreholes with their polling numbers, so it's progress of a sort. They can jump down into them and Hell for that non-heat pump heat they so crave.

are private water wells common in rural UK? from what I understand in north america there are enough water well contractors that the geothermal installers can often just outsource the drilling to them

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Trabisnikof posted:

are private water wells common in rural UK? from what I understand in north america there are enough water well contractors that the geothermal installers can often just outsource the drilling to them

The island that is busy polluting the Channel, Irish Sea, North Sea and Atlantic with poo is probably not the place that has a good handle on water rights and infrastructure.

But no, to my knowledge unless you're on a farm, private wells aren't really a thing, just more extended water mains. I would guess if they wanted to piggyback off an industry, it'd be the gas utilities since they do a lot of digging up stuff, although their gambit has been to push hydrogen because they have pipes and need to keep earning cash if we wean ourselves off methane, so heat pumps are opposed.

I was going to suggest the water companies and then I remembered the first sentence of this reply and thought better of trusting them.

EDIT: I guess it depends on how rural. I have a work colleague who lives in a hamlet in Bedfordshire that is oil heated even though he has electric mains and water. Seems like a holdover for an older property, and yet for a fair upfront cost you could upgrade the house to have a heat pump and save in the long term given oil volatility.

EDIT the 2nd: https://www.imsheatpumps.co.uk/blog/ground-source-heat-pump-borehole-cost/

quote:

The cost of installing a vertical GSHP

If we take the 12kW ground source heat pump, the total cost of installation can be around £25,000 – £30,000. Although again, this is just an estimated figure.

A study by the Department of Energy and Climate Change found that installation costs comprise of 49% equipment and 51% non-equipment. Of the non-equipment costs, 60% of that is drilling boreholes. This is quite a chunk of the total installation cost. On the other hand, a 12kW horizontal system costs approximately £15,000 – £18,000.

Yikes.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw has issued a correction as of 01:33 on Dec 10, 2023

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Another beautiful 60 degree Michigan winter day! Breezy and green! *Deep breath*

Aaaahhhhhh

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

any recent updates on the climate? how we looking now?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

i had a heat pump installed this year to save on gas, have ac for ever hotter summers, and for the new smoke season. triple threat :smug:

i don’t think it’s saving me any money but that’s because I’m forever cursed to make poor decisions

tbh that's kind of the problem with the reporting on this study, which is definitely being presented as a gotcha kind of thing

Like, yeah, heat pumps are great, but the typical person isn't going to save a lot of money because they cost so much upfront. And one large bill is often going to be much, much worse for most people even if it means spending less on utility bills.

It's kind of like every other loving thing. There are potentially tolerable solutions that people would accept, but only if the costs could be pretty much entirely socialized. Oops.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

CODChimera posted:

They invented a fail air conditioner for heat. The Earth is saved

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
If your climate solution involves a five-figure purchase by individual consumers, you don't have a climate solution.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

someone tell the dems

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Paradoxish posted:

If your climate solution involves a five-figure purchase by individual consumers, you don't have a climate solution.

governments are made up of individual consumers so when you think about it all change has to come from the people and not the system

that's just the rules sorry

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
heat pump is actually a neat tech and would work well if we already had a sane housing situation. it may have been in this very thread that somebody posted the soviets growing citrus in loving siberia(?) and that dude growing lemons in a hell desert of i think east california -- these are essentially very early prototype versions that didn't even use glass or greenhouses

so if the problem were already able to be fixed because we had a coherent economy and humane housing, heat pumping would be part of the solution. Basically the "without fossil fuels the world returns to caves" is real but that's good?

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

goon caves, man caves, bin laden's cave fortress

examples abound of a shared humanity that yearns to return to the comforting embrace of our natural habitat

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
A cave is just a naturally-occurring dome: prove me wrong

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
It is, we had what we needed all along

It is the false dream of capitalistic domism which is killing us

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

CODChimera posted:

I'll quickly check outside

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Has anyone seen starkebn? Last seen going outside to check on the climate

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

this is us (turn sound on)
https://i.imgur.com/WcRlAsh.mp4

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap
the intensely ominous sound of rebar plinking like a detuned music box is :kiss:

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Watching for less than one second until the end: holy poo poo you need to be getting out of there you need to be getting out of there you need to be getting out of there dude you need to be getting out of there

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Watching for less than one second until the end: holy poo poo you need to be getting out of there you need to be getting out of there you need to be getting out of there dude you need to be getting out of there

thats like the signature theme of the "collapse will consist of watching cellphone disaster videos until the day you're the one holding the phone" oeuvre

at that point you gotta do you part and get on that final content grind

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Im just spitballing, but what if we installed a giant heat pump for the whole earth? Maybe that would solve climate change?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I checked, my heatpump was running blowing cool air outside to help cool things down - I think we'll be fine

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Dokapon Findom posted:

My neighbors paid double or even triple my electric bill this summer compared to my heat pump and I charge an EV at home.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Dokapon Findom posted:

They invented a fail air conditioner for heat. The Earth is saved
ACs are fail heat pumps that can't reverse heat transfer direction for some reason, even though it's like the simplest feature you could add.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

cat botherer posted:

ACs are fail heat pumps that can't reverse heat transfer direction for some reason, even though it's like the simplest feature you could add.

You can definitely turn an A/C unit into a heat pump without too much effort but the issue will likely be with the refrigerant. One that suits A/C usage with say 80-100F outdoor temps and 70-ish indoor might not be as well suited when you are trying to maintain 70F indoor and it’s 20F outside. So a unit that does both will probably be a bit of a compromise and less efficient than a dedicated A/C unit.

fibblins
Dec 21, 2007

party swan
heat pumps have been around for longer than i've been alive, they're more or less the same as an AC with the addition of a reversing valve and a couple of check valves and a refrigerant accumulation tank before the compressor. they are generally built a bit more rugged to withstand year-round use, though most improvements have come from the additions of things like variable frequency drives to modulate the speed of the compressor and fans using a logic board and a million temp sensors, all cool though they add more failure points to the system. either way basically no reason not to have a heat pump if you already have or are installing central air, except yknow, the absurd cost of it all. district heating/cooling wins again

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

what is going on here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

what is going on here
The concrete is the biosphere, it's a metaphor