Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

I’ve been researching this nonsense for a podcast and I like how Genvid’s whole thing they doing is trying to create this weird massively multiplayer live event thing that will one day plug into the Metaverse and the best they can accomplish is basically Telltale’s The Walking Dead except your choices don’t matter with writing and acting so bad that those AI accusations almost come off as a compliment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Saddest Rhino posted:

i just watched that video on starfield and... there are no aliens in the sci-fi space exploration game??!?
there are occasional alien creatures but no sentient aliens (and alien creatures are a minority of the enemies)

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Endorph posted:

there are occasional alien creatures but no sentient aliens (and alien creatures are a minority of the enemies)

Thank you for reminding me that Bethesda are so bad at naming things that there's an alien called the terrormorph.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Fil5000 posted:

Thank you for reminding me that Bethesda are so bad at naming things that there's an alien called the terrormorph.

Odd you call this a terrormorph even though it’s a obviously a rejected Skylander

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

saw a terrormorph the other day. horrible creatures

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Grassy Knowles posted:

Odd you call this a terrormorph even though it’s a obviously a rejected Skylander

It's an Albany expression.

(also the quest to determine where the terrormorphs have come from is dumb as poo poo and suggests that literally no one has attempted any sort of study of any life forms the human race has encountered throughout all of their time in space)

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Sardonik posted:

So what I'm hearing here is Bethesda made an inferior version of The Outer Worlds

this seems impossible as The Outer Worlds was inferior version of the Bethesda formula but in space

that's like doing a crayon drawing of a photocopy of a painting

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Dec 10, 2023

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

…With some rejected pages from a Futurama script awkwardly stapled onto it.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

fez_machine posted:

this seems impossible as The Outer Worlds was inferior version of the Bethesda formula but in space

The real hilarity would be if Starfield retroactively makes TOW look better in comparison

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Annointed posted:

Peter coffin posted some videos that YouTube recommended to me. The title and description seem to want to focus on something about systems and martyred Peter Somerton, but I didn't watch em. Don't feel like watching anything of Peter Coffin when he kept going for right-wing bullshit. Oh yeah he also defended pedophile Caleb Maupin.

Assuming this isn't actually from the video as it's just too stupid, but while bored and trawling through a twitter search for "somerton" I found some peter coffin fans/viewers trying to spin a conspiracy about how HBomb's taking down of Somerton was ordered from Nebula execs because they were...jealous I guess of Somerton's crowdfunding of the movie studio thing and wanted to take out 'competition'.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

OneMoreTime posted:

I’ve been researching this nonsense for a podcast and I like how Genvid’s whole thing they doing is trying to create this weird massively multiplayer live event thing that will one day plug into the Metaverse and the best they can accomplish is basically Telltale’s The Walking Dead except your choices don’t matter with writing and acting so bad that those AI accusations almost come off as a compliment.

I haven't followed it much but what I gather from clips is it's a silent hill game where occasionally other players will show up in your game as NPCs. So you can get weedlord bonerhitler showing up in your silent hill to talk about their jam making hobby, or equivilent dialogue written by chatgpt.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

fez_machine posted:

It is remarkable just how wrung dry the Bethesda open-world format is at this point.

But I guess Starfield sold well, so it seems that's just what people are into. I'd love to say it's bland enough that nobody will come back for the next game, but if they came back after FO76, then I doubt Starfield would be the thing to put them off.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

“livvy rizzed up baby gronk”

I kinda want to go back to this post because that particular episode could become a Whang Video in the future: The whole thing came from a reaction to a jokish article on a comedy video on an event that Baby Gronk's dad decided to overhype. A lot of people on my feed were like "Oh no, what is this doing to the future of journalism" and as someone who followed SbNation and Defector bc of Jon Bois, I kinda saw the whole story going up as soon as the first hit popped.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I liked The Outer Worlds.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Garrand posted:

Assuming this isn't actually from the video as it's just too stupid, but while bored and trawling through a twitter search for "somerton" I found some peter coffin fans/viewers trying to spin a conspiracy about how HBomb's taking down of Somerton was ordered from Nebula execs because they were...jealous I guess of Somerton's crowdfunding of the movie studio thing and wanted to take out 'competition'.

People on Coffin's Discord cooked up a conspiracy theory and then Coffin signalboosted it:

Here's the conspiracy post: https://amitriptyline.substack.com/p/nebula-and-james-somerton

quote:

[intro snip]

I want to put forward a theory of how this unfolded.

Approximately a year ago, Hbomberguy’s began working on a video about plagiarism on and off, along with the large number of other videos he had been working on. This was a personal peeve of his. During his research, he discovered that James Somerton was plagiarizing content, and decided to dive deep on him.

Hbomb did not talk to Somerton about this, or bring the evidence to him - maybe because he did not have any channels to speak directly to him with. But, he did have channels to talk with his fellow creators on Nebula.

Now, this is pure theory from here on out, but I suspect he talked to his colleagues at Nebula, and among them many queer creators like Jessie Gender, PhilosophyTube, and Hbomb himself decided not to bring it up with the public at that time. Somerton was an openly gay creator and they did not want to start a controversy with him. Rather, they decided to remain quiet and not mention in, but would keep the evidence in their pocket in case it was ever relevant. My real only evidence for this is that Hbomberguy has a history of changing sides where they wind blew when it came to minority content creators so he would always stay on the “right side” of the cancel mob.

When Nebula announced their own studio doing literally the exact same thing as Somerton, I suspect that Nebula's bosses (including the board at Curiosity Stream, the sister company which includes a USAID member) Sent the orders down. They told their creators "Hey, we're launching our queer film studio. We cannot have competition for this. Kill Somerton’s company."

And so they all went and make a coordinated strike to ruin Somerton’s studio and career. They launched a multi-prong attack to ensure something sticks. They main angle is to use the plagiarism accusation to crush him. With Hbomb as the vanguard, and with PhilosophyTube and the crew making followup videos about YouTube plagiarism right after in wave after wave to turn the entire internet conversation to plagiarism.

Hbomb’s producer then went on Reddit to further drive the conversation. Encouraging people to go out and find other “baddies" to find and generate tons and tons of engagement.

My theory was for the first several days that Hbomb was merely trying to get clout by attacking other creators. However, given the HUGE push for Nebula’s advertising, it’s clear that it's not JUST a "get the baddies" cancel wave for clout. Rather, it's more like an ARG to shape the whole conversation toward promoting Nebula's new queer content shows.

Everyone is encouraged to post queer creators they like, to attack the baddies, and it’s all a big game. In fact a pregame before Nebula releases their videos

Of course, if it didn't work, they had Todd in the Shadows as their backup plan to destroy Somerton on moral outrage issues by turning him from a queer creator to a cis white male transphobic misogynist.

Well, it did work. Somerton’s studio is dissolved. His videos are private, his Patreon’s canceled.

This might seem like a big conspiracy theory - well it is, a conspiracy of a bunch of YouTubers who have been known to conspire. It is not at all beyond the grasp of big studio executives to create an idea like this and tell others to put it into place. Let alone a studio controlled by a member who works for an agency centered entirely around using economics to control entire countries. And there are still people out there that say Breadtube doesn’t serve imperialism.

It is just a theory, but it’s worth exploring.

Stay turned for a future post on how turning regular people into internet cops is harmful to all online discourse. Thanks to everyone on Peter Coffin’s discord for helping me put these ideas together.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Throughts on James somerton

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNLvRCDAVwo

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
My conspiracy theory: people who were plagiarized by a hateful moron talked to each other.

Performing research is a conspiracy

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

People on Coffin's Discord cooked up a conspiracy theory and then Coffin signalboosted it:

welp, shows me for giving that idiot the benefit of the doubt.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Here's the conspiracy post: https://amitriptyline.substack.com/p/nebula-and-james-somerton

What a massive load of poo poo with literally nothing to back it up other than vibes.

Edit: Which Coffin is only boosting at all because he doesn't like the people involved. Just an unscrupulous opportunist piece of poo poo.

Fil5000 fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Dec 10, 2023

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Grassy Knowles posted:

My conspiracy theory: people who were plagiarized by a hateful moron talked to each other.

Performing research is a conspiracy

Oh my god, how deep does this rabbit hole go????? :tinfoil:

The central pole of their conspiracy of "Nebula's bosses told their creators "We cannot have competition for this. Kill Somerton’s company"" doesn't make a lick of sense, it's so bizarre

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
somerton was the only queer voice left

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
killed by the coward hbomberguy

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

They do know you don't need the consent and express permission of the guilty party when publishing an expose on them? Hbomb had legal assistance to cover his arse but he was never obliged to speak to any of the plagiarists.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

quote:

Thanks to everyone on Peter Coffin’s discord for helping me put these ideas together.

Everyone in that discord needs to touch grass

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Inspector Gesicht posted:

They do know you don't need the consent and express permission of the guilty party when publishing an expose on them? Hbomb had legal assistance to cover his arse but he was never obliged to speak to any of the plagiarists.

Also like it isn't obvious what would have happened if he'd talked to Somerton first. The entire first 90 minutes of the video is why he didn't approach him first, he'd have gone straight into damage control mode, made hbomb into the villain of the piece (yeah there's still some that think he is but he could have got out in front of it and convinced more of them). What do these people think would have happened, he'd have apologised, given compensation to all the people he plagarised and reedited all the videos to give proper credit? We saw him invent the excuse for plagarising Avila and refine it over the course of that live stream, he'd have made some poo poo up.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

its required that you talk to the pathological liars when you write an investigative piece on them

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

By Coffin Logic, being a gay creator is a highlander thing.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

By Coffin Logic, being a gay creator is a highlander thing.

it is

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
in the end, there can be only one

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Well why wouldn't Nebula be downright terrified of a money pit independent studio that never actually produced anything.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

John Murdoch posted:

Well why wouldn't Nebula be downright terrified of a money pit independent studio that never actually produced anything.

Same thing happened to take down 38studios

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Also obviously the concept of a queer-focused movie studio didn't exist until the brave James Somerton hoovered up a bunch of crowdfunding money struck out on his own to revolutionize cinema.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
he just needed to find the right queer book to rip off and make into a movie first....

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
James Somerton presents: Gaydolf Twinkler

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

James Somerton presents: Gaydolf Twinkler

Somerton: so this is based on the book ‘My Camp’

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Anyway, re: Starfield. I feel like its biggest problem, at least for me, is not the formula breaking down or being outdated or whatever. To me it boils down to lacking any kind of interesting hook.

Like compare it to the nothing that was the ES6 teaser - people instantly started speculating what part of Tamriel it was hinting towards. Both TES and Fallout have established lore and worlds where it's actually pretty easy to draw me in, and it helps that aesthetically they really lean into their respective genres.

Meanwhile, with Starfield, the answer to every question is the same. What is the game's hook? Space! What do you actually DO in the game? Space! What are the NPCs trying to accomplish? Space! Well at least the game has a distinctive art style, right? ...Right?

It feels like an executive explaining how they used to build model rockets as a kid and golly isn't space just so cool? And like I don't really feel that way but regardless your game can't just be "look, space!"

Edit: And to be clear, I felt the exact same way about No Man's Sky. "We've simulated a gazillion planets like a real universe, don't you want to go find out what's on 'em?" NO.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Dec 10, 2023

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

John Murdoch posted:

Anyway, re: Starfield. I feel like its biggest problem, at least for me, is not the formula breaking down or being outdated or whatever. To me it boils down to lacking any kind of interesting hook.

Like compare it to the nothing that was the ES6 teaser - people instantly started speculating what part of Tamriel it was hinting towards. Both TES and Fallout have established lore and worlds where it's actually pretty easy to draw me in, and it helps that aesthetically they really lean into their respective genres.

Meanwhile, with Starfield, the answer to every question is the same. What is the game's hook? Space! What do you actually DO in the game? Space! What are the NPCs trying to accomplish? Space! Well at least the game has a distinctive art style, right? ...Right?

It feels like an executive explaining how they used to build model rockets as a kid and golly isn't space just so cool? And like I don't really feel that way but regardless your game can't just be "look, space!"

Starfield does the usual Bethesda thing of the side quests being the meat of the game and the main story being pretty lacklustre. There's what I think is meant to be a "big reveal" at what I assume is somewhere around the midpoint and it made me go "oh. That's your idea? I mean I guess it works". Then I stopped doing the main quest and just did other stuff until I got completely bored and put the game down. But also yes, SPACE

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
starfield will kill off your most used companion for shock value and you cant avoid it which means if you use a companion for their useful skills you lose them for no reason and you cant get them back or replace them i believe bethseda thought this would be deep and meaningful and not annoying and pointless

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

starfield will kill off your most used companion for shock value and you cant avoid it which means if you use a companion for their useful skills you lose them for no reason and you cant get them back or replace them i believe bethseda thought this would be deep and meaningful and not annoying and pointless

Does it not depend on whether you stay at the lodge or go to the eye? Because I already thought that poo poo was dumb as it was but if it doesn't make any difference it's even dumber

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Fil5000 posted:

Does it not depend on whether you stay at the lodge or go to the eye? Because I already thought that poo poo was dumb as it was but if it doesn't make any difference it's even dumber

its tied to the companion you use the most in the game you have no choice except to know ahead of time and use another companion more so they die instead