Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

JediTalentAgent posted:

We have some grocery stores that are the blend of: Human cashier and another set of conveyor belts AFTER the cash register that everything gets set on and you have to walk to the end and start bagging yourself, and you'd better be done before the next person's stuff starts coming through.

Anyone else old enough to remember when stores had ANOTHER conveyor system going from the inside of the store to the outside, so you'd toss your stuff into a tote and drive up alongside the conveyor to pick it up?

Typically here there are two conveyors so that one person can be packing and the other conveyor can be used for the other patron. At my local store they put junk on the second belt so that you have to panic and pack as quick as you can when there is someone behind you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

MrQwerty posted:

get used to bagging your own loving groceries

How? It's not offered. They are bagged before they are given to me.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Dip Viscous posted:

How? It's not offered. They are bagged before they are given to me.

Coming Soon to Where You Live™

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I tried to do the same morning stretches I have done for years yeah that poo poo is gone.

Dip Viscous fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Dec 10, 2023

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Self checkout was great back around 2005 but it's been so thoroughly shat up since then I try to avoid it unless I'm only buying like 1 bag worth of items. Going to a cashier is usually faster if only because there's actually enough space to put all your items and the machine doesn't lock up and screech at you when you skip step c of the process.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Tarkus posted:

Typically here there are two conveyors so that one person can be packing and the other conveyor can be used for the other patron. At my local store they put junk on the second belt so that you have to panic and pack as quick as you can when there is someone behind you.

jesus, this would give me anxiety, I hate blocking people at the grocery. at least aldi provides those counters behind the registers and you can pack your backs at your leisure without blocking anyone

MrQwerty posted:

yeah the 'I will NEVER bag my own groceries HOW DARE THEY!!' gets funnier when you know that pretty much everywhere outside the US, people bag their own groceries, and it's really only a matter of time until we get to that point bc it was a real customer service plus up to even offer it in the first place. it's not necessary for a trip to the grocery. just nice.

so it's just us, the US, being like, WE CANNOT. OUR ARMS, THEY BREAK.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Dec 10, 2023

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Usually here the cashier has a "paddle" that divides the bagging area into two sections and keeps your stuff from mixing with the people before / after you. Or you just throw your things back into the cart as they are marked up and bag them afterwards without blocking a register lane

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

You can't even use the self checkout to steal because of how it's set up here. 4-6 stations in a small square, fenced in area with one employee standing watch at all times, and a small locked gate every customer is funnelled through.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Biplane posted:

You can't even use the self checkout to steal because of how it's set up here.
skill issue

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

MrQwerty posted:

They reversed the policy due to complaints at the store I wrote about earlier

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

StrangersInTheNight posted:

jesus, this would give me anxiety, I hate blocking people at the grocery. at least aldi provides those counters behind the registers and you can pack your backs at your leisure without blocking anyone

yeah the 'I will NEVER bag my own groceries HOW DARE THEY!!' gets funnier when you know that pretty much everywhere outside the US, people bag their own groceries, and it's really only a matter of time until we get to that point bc it was a real customer service plus up to even offer it in the first place. it's not necessary for a trip to the grocery. just nice.

Things don’t have to be set at the standard of gloomy old England or wherever.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Why are Americans so obsessed with being waited on. I hate it when employees do poo poo for me. Makes me feel like I have "staff" which is not a good feeling

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Killingyouguy! posted:

Why are Americans so obsessed with being waited on. I hate it when employees do poo poo for me. Makes me feel like I have "staff" which is not a good feeling

You've just about answered your own question here.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I’m Canadian and I think that’s a strange take on people preferring to not bag their own groceries.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Killingyouguy! posted:

I feel like it's a bit of a disingenuous jump from "I don't like self-checkout/self-bagging" to "I demand to be waited on." I don't want to speak for all of America, because I realize I'm a fringe case, but many of my local self-checkouts are laughably ADA inaccessible. I feel far more "waited on" on the days when I have to jam up all the other customers by asking the self-checkout person to help me scan and bag a bunch of poo poo instead of being able to just comfortably and inconspicuously put it all on a conveyor belt the old-fashioned way. It often feels embarrassing and exclusive, like I am announcing my disability to a bunch of strangers. I hate it.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

yeah most americans hate it too but we're told it's normal until it feels like it is

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
At this point if you're defending or complaining about self checkouts you should post a picture of which equipment your store has and also a picture of which deliberately user-hostile settings are enabled. You're kind of just going in a circle of

Goon 1 "My brother sucks"
Goon 2 "What are you talking about? My brother was always cool to me"
Goon 1 "He got so drunk last Thanksgiving he out-racisted elon musk then threw up in the punch bowl"
Goon 3 "right, and there's that time my brother set my sister's hair on fire"
Goon 2 "No, I told you my brother is ok, last weekend he baked me cookies"
Goon 4 "hey here's a really tortured metaphor, "

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Sentient Data posted:

deliberately user-hostile

The phrase I was looking for to cover thousands of buttons that do jack poo poo.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The problem with the self checkout discussion is that it's really a proxy for "it sucks that low-skill jobs are being automated out" but also "the automation is really just the customer being forced to do work for the company for free" but also "checkout is a 'bullshit job' and is unnecessary and doesn't provide a living wage anyway" but also "it really isn't that big a deal to scan your own things" but also "it's absurd that the grocery store has 10 manned checkout lanes but only 2 of them are open at any given time to funnel you to the self checkout" but also "it's an opportunity to have the same tired conclusion of capitalism sucks and fosters perverse incentives" but also "yes we all know that and we don't need everyone explaining it to us at every opportunity like the entire internet has been doing for the past 9 years" but also "we need to all be constantly aware of the ways capitalism crushes us with hypernormalization in order to resist it" but also would you like to add a Frosty to your meal? Yeah gimme one of those and

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
call grocery bagging a low skill job, sure. but i go to a pretty drat diverse grocery store and self checkout lets me see people of all walks of life fail at this Low Skill Job.

you want to see Americans do a Mr. Bean impression? check out the self check out. motherfuckers jump scare when the barcode beeps at em

like capitalism is even robbing the people of their hand eye coordination at this point, video games be damned

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

My ace in the hole is this old grocery store in this tiny rural town. It's part of a much larger grocery chain distribution network, so they get much of the same stuff I get at the big grocery stores. However, this store is so old and so poor looking, they will never get self checkout machines. I bet. They'd have to do major remodeling for that to happen. So when I am driven out of all the fancy stores with their self imposed work stations, I'll go west, deeper into the country, and have a nice chat with Jenny at the register, talking about local news, as Billy bags my groceries.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Sentient Data posted:

At this point if you're defending or complaining about self checkouts you should post a picture of which equipment your store has and also a picture of which deliberately user-hostile settings are enabled.

Try using one of these monstrosities when you can't bend/twist at the waist, it's a hoot. Also I recently watched a dude in a wheelchair struggle to move all his poo poo from the right side to the left because each platform is a totally different height for some reason.

Modal Auxiliary fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Dec 10, 2023

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
My regular grocery store hires people with cognitive disabilities to bag groceries and I love all of them. Every time I’m there I yell HEYYO CISCO at one of them and he gets so hyped when I go through his line

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
Ya know if they only had self checkouts 13 years ago then I never would've met my wife

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I feel like I'm in an alternate universe bizarro world every time this conversation comes up because I've lived in 7 different states and every supermarket I've ever shopped at as an adult, you bag your own groceries. I was a bagger in the 90s for my first job, but nobody under 70 years old shopped at that place, and they went out of business almost 30 years ago. It's like all of this posting is coming directly out of a time portal from 1960 and is accompanied by complaints that the employees don't go around and pick out the groceries for you anymore, either.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Having someone bag your groceries for you seems stupid but then I travelled to Florida, bastion of US progressivism, and saw the kind of fat slovenly people living there, and it made perfect sense.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The people who disagree with me put ketchup in their well done steaks

Edit: probably

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Try using one of these monstrosities when you can't bend/twist at the waist, it's a hoot. Also I recently watched a dude in a wheelchair struggle to move all his poo poo from the right side to the left because each platform is a totally different height for some reason.

Also you better be able to fit all of your groceries on that red circle at once or the machine WILL lock up and you'll have to wait for the attendant to get done with the 4 other customers whose machines have locked up or are being carded for alcohol or whatever.

Anyway human cashier but you bag the groceries is the best combo unless you're shopping at the Aspen whole foods or whatever where they still have dedicated baggers and don't just make the cashier do it.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

In every grocery store with regular checked lanes, they either use a single queue and are woefully understaffed so it takes me like 15 minutes to get through it, or they have multiple lanes that still take 15 minutes each because there's somehow someone always paying in pennies or the cashier explaining that no, we don't take checks and haven't taken checks in 20 years you need to pay with money. Self-checkout is usually like 2 minutes because those people are fundamentally incapable of using the self-checkout machines and are preoccupied elsewhere

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

In Maine at least, having a bagger is by far the default, and the only time you don't have one is if it's the 14 item or less aisle, or they are so busy they've run out of people.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Lol if you don’t have favorite cashiers who talk recipes and/or sports with you and tell when you when things you buy are going on sale.

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.
I have been bagging my own groceries since I was 16 and got a job as a bag boy. I know what I’m doing, it’s just easier. It’s not the labor that bothered me. It’s the Bzzt upc not complete. Bzzt unknown item in the bagging error. Bzzt too many upcs detected. Things like Is this a normal size or large artichoke? Oh no you’ve taken too many things off the bagging/weigh table to make more room to bag stuff. Clearly there are two sides here. Side A has tried it, lolled, and posted about it in this thread. Side B lols because they think the goons are too lazy to do their own bagging!

I don’t know who side B is or what they are astroturfing but self checkout is a goddamn scam.

Related, for the past 5 years or so our Fry’s (Kroger) had hired those with learning disabilities. To do menial (bagging and cart return) duties. My wife was a sped teacher and always enjoyed talking to one of these people in particular who also made it priority to bag our items (even though I would have preferred to do it myself).

Fry’s let her go so a lovely robot can make you do her job. She never should have had a job (UBI/disability) but nevertheless

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004

Brain Curry posted:

Lol if you don’t have favorite cashiers who talk recipes and/or sports with you and tell when you when things you buy are going on sale.

I, the whitest man you know, was buying pork shoulder, hominy, chiles, etc to make a big ole swole bowl of pozole. This lovely cashier, who likes to call me out on my cooking cuisine clearly not of my culture before, couldn’t believe it and started grilling me on the recipe. She was satisfied and gave me her blessing and the soup turned out delicious.

Aforementioned soup

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
it's good that we killed some jobs entirely to increase the profit margin for one quarter for some business guy: because in Europe those jobs never existed. makes sense to me

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

shazbot posted:

I have been bagging my own groceries since I was 16 and got a job as a bag boy. I know what I’m doing, it’s just easier. It’s not the labor that bothered me. It’s the Bzzt upc not complete. Bzzt unknown item in the bagging error. Bzzt too many upcs detected. Things like Is this a normal size or large artichoke? Oh no you’ve taken too many things off the bagging/weigh table to make more room to bag stuff. Clearly there are two sides here. Side A has tried it, lolled, and posted about it in this thread. Side B lols because they think the goons are too lazy to do their own bagging!

I don’t know who side B is or what they are astroturfing but self checkout is a goddamn scam.

I can only assume that the self-checkout machines in the US are all complete garbage because I've lived in a few countries abroad and I've never once had any of these issues over the course of several years and living in several cities. The worst I ever had was a machine that needed me to scan the item, put it in the bagging area, then it had to take like 3 seconds to think about it before it let me scan the next item. And that issue seemed to go away after a couple months

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Does Europe have laundry soap locked up in lockboxes? I have no idea but I’m sure it correlates to how lovely self checkout is

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Stores should have cashiers and baggers, but they should just stand there and do nothing unless the customer wants to pay extra to hire their services

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
There must be a direct correlation between shoplifting and lovely self checkout

Sometimes at the local Vons the self checkout line will stretch down an entire aisle. Its still faster than the regular lines, because this is godless California and the regular register lines are all packed with people buying booze, but Boomers gotta boom in the self checkout and push a full shopping cart through :dafuq:

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I’m kind of whatever about people bagging my groceries because it’s maybe once a year tops I deal with it.

The grocery store I do my weekly shopping at has self scanning and bagging (should you wish), as you shop. Enter the store, scan your customer card, scanner unlocks, and then shop and bag as you go. Paying is easy too, return scanner, use the self check out and pay, haul rear end to the bus. Not every store has it but if I can use it, I always do, that or the actual self checkout.

The only thing that sucks about self checkout is if I’m picking up an energy drink for my partner because it means someone needs to check if I’m over 15, and depending on the store it can take loving forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The places that have baggers are usually union in middle America while those that don't aren't. There's an exception in Costco and Aldi, but generally if there's no bagger it's a lovely place to work. You shouldn't support lovely places to work.