Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
remembering fallout 3's original ending where you could have a super mutant or ghoul immune to radiation tell you they werent going to go into the radiation chamber because it was your destiny to die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
and the ghoul was brainwashed to obey any commands you gave him as long as you held his contract which made it make even less sense lol bethseda ftw

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

starfield will kill off your most used companion for shock value and you cant avoid it which means if you use a companion for their useful skills you lose them for no reason and you cant get them back or replace them i believe bethseda thought this would be deep and meaningful and not annoying and pointless

:pwn:

Straight up weaponizing players' attachment to their companions...

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

its tied to the companion you use the most in the game you have no choice except to know ahead of time and use another companion more so they die instead

That is hilariously stupid.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

remembering fallout 3's original ending where you could have a super mutant or ghoul immune to radiation tell you they werent going to go into the radiation chamber because it was your destiny to die

As awful as that was, I honestly think Starfield’s ending manages to be even worse because at least FO3’s was an ending. And not just a copy of you showing up to spout cryptic bullshit for five minutes in the most anticlimactic manner possible before telling you to go do Groundhog Day in an alternate universe.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

starfield will kill off your most used companion for shock value and you cant avoid it which means if you use a companion for their useful skills you lose them for no reason and you cant get them back or replace them i believe bethseda thought this would be deep and meaningful and not annoying and pointless

And to again emphasize how little of a footprint Starfield has had on the consciousness, the first time I heard about this was when it was posted in the Sagas thread a few days ago lol

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Alaois posted:

And to again emphasize how little of a footprint Starfield has had on the consciousness, the first time I heard about this was when it was posted in the Sagas thread a few days ago lol

that's also how i found out it doesn't have aliens

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

They should have done it like dragon’s dogma and expand it to any NPC so it’s like the rando shopkeeper you talked to the most getting killed off out of nowhere

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Grassy Knowles posted:

that's also how i found out it doesn't have aliens

Wait what

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Honestly my favourite stupid thing in Starfield is that somehow in hundreds of years of space exploration, no one has at any point bothered to study the life cycle of the heat leach. There's scientists and research stations all over the place but no one at any point has gone "maybe we should pay attention to these creatures that manage to infest basically every ship that goes anywhere and that are present in every colony we ever set up".

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

there are no intelligent aliens in starfield and alien creatures are uncommon you spend most of the game killing bandits from oblivion

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
The funniest part of starfield is that while the games moment to moment narrative is mostly a bad copy of The outer worlds with less humor and more unironic corporate sucking off the overall story is actually a bad copy of the outer wilds without any of the emotional depth. It's so loving bad lol

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Wouldn’t Somerton have had to have actually made a film to be considered competition to a film studio?

Also, how is it a conspiracy if Somerton actually did everything he was accused of doing? I can’t follow the logic of the argument.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Like starfields ending and ng+ are just a less interesting and meaningful version of One of Dragon's Dogma's endings.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
there are good ideas in starfield and if bethseda were more competent they could have made a cool hard sci-fi game but instead they just made oblivion in space somehow managing to regress from skyrim and fallout 3 and 4

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the coffin/somerton thing is weird cause hes breathelssly talking about how his Queer Identity Has Been Erased when nobody in any of those videos did that

calling him a misogynist isnt saying he isnt gay

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I AM GRANDO posted:

Wouldn’t Somerton have had to have actually made a film to be considered competition to a film studio?

Also, how is it a conspiracy if Somerton actually did everything he was accused of doing? I can’t follow the logic of the argument.

I mean, sure, he did all those things. But you didn't have to make it public. You didn't have to shame poor Jimmy. Now where will people spend their dollars to support THE queer creator?

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Dec 10, 2023

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

There was one point I finally came across something truly interesting in Starfield, the space ship with the hosed up gravity. You know, the part they nicked from Prey 2017.

I started to think about Prey more while playing the game and while they're very different in a lot of ways, they still fell from the same Looking Glass tree and have some commonality, so it isn't too much a stretch to make some comparisons. Crafting is far more visceral in Prey, the way the recycler works feels like it's actually doing stuff. The way zero-G is handled, which made me realize that you can't even get out of your loving ship in Starfield. The variety of enemy encounters, Prey isn't even that strong here yet it's based on a single space station while Starfield tries to do a universe and still comes off worse. Then I just played Prey again, huh, it looks better too, huh, this all looks a little bit "NASA punk" but with a distinctive art deco twist that gives it more personality. Almost every computer you interact with is done so within the environment itself, which would sound like an achievement if Doom 3 hadn't done it over 10 years earlier, nonetheless it's 2023 and Bethesda still use Flash for their UI, but overlays only, everything in the environment is a prop.

Prey isn't faultless. Loading screens are a pain, though at least the spaces you move through are unique and interesting. Also something something the ending, but I thought that was fine.

Bethesda made an open world Prey 2017 except the enemies are boring humans and every choice they made was wrong.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Dec 10, 2023

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the truth of the matter is queer people can be assholes too and it doesnt make them any less queer

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ultimately these people understand Queer as a vague monolith of people who all disagree them so they see this as someone being cast out of the community and not just an rear end in a top hat thath appened to be gay

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

the best space simulator/exploration game remains Noctis IV CE, a solo game made by a reclusive italian furry

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

OneMoreTime posted:

I’ve been researching this nonsense for a podcast and I like how Genvid’s whole thing they doing is trying to create this weird massively multiplayer live event thing that will one day plug into the Metaverse and the best they can accomplish is basically Telltale’s The Walking Dead except your choices don’t matter with writing and acting so bad that those AI accusations almost come off as a compliment.
I'm guessing they wrote a singular story in mind here, then assumed all the players would take it, not understanding the internet fuckwad theory of "people will try and break everything". So this leads to two problems:

1) They barely put any thought into the "wrong choices" dialogue
2) The wrong choices have to eventually force the story back to the "right choices"

It was making me think of that dumb Netflix Resident Evil live action thing where the parallel narrative seemed to be mostly as a set of jingly keys to cover up that neither story goes very far very fast, but in this case try and make the watcher forget that they voted for "don't help" and after not helping two switches later they help anyway. As someone watching the recaps who doesn't even know what they're voting on, this has become obvious; I can only imagine how blatant it is to the people actually voting.

Grassy Knowles posted:

My conspiracy theory: people who were plagiarized by a hateful moron talked to each other.

Performing research is a conspiracy

Or looking at it the other more rational way, one of the hindsight red flags people brought up was how completely disconnected he was from every other creator in a similar sphere.

While I'm sure a lot of the cross-involvement is some amount of craven cross-promotion, that complete disconnect isn't a sign of some conspiracy on the "creator-sphere", it's a sign the person doesn't want anyone else who will catch on looking too closely.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Endorph posted:

ultimately these people understand Queer as a vague monolith of people who all disagree them so they see this as someone being cast out of the community and not just an rear end in a top hat thath appened to be gay

They're right, this is me:

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Endorph posted:

the coffin/somerton thing is weird cause hes breathelssly talking about how his Queer Identity Has Been Erased when nobody in any of those videos did that

calling him a misogynist isnt saying he isnt gay
sexuality isn't a spectrum, it's a dial. its modes are loves men / women / any gender and hates men / women / any gender

the closest thing to Gay Erasure i've seen on Somerton are the tongue in cheek references to him plagiarizing the Bisexual Lighting

anyway i'm not gonna pretend i saw Somerton's plagiarism coming but i was thinking "i bet he's gonna claim this is a muckraking hit on him by Big Nebula"

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

turning a big dial taht says "hating women” on it and constantly looking back at the audience for approval like a contestant on the price is right

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

The real hilarity would be if Starfield retroactively makes TOW look better in comparison

That is the joke, yes.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Ah, so the writers remembered that one mission from Mass Effect 1 but completely misunderstood it.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Grassy Knowles posted:

My conspiracy theory: people who were plagiarized by a hateful moron talked to each other.

Performing research is a conspiracy
Peter Coffin genuinely seems to believe having friends is a conspiracy. This has been a repeated response from him.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

They do know you don't need the consent and express permission of the guilty party when publishing an expose on them? Hbomb had legal assistance to cover his arse but he was never obliged to speak to any of the plagiarists.
He also got mad about this when people exposed his friend for being a cult leader.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

MonsieurChoc posted:

That is the joke, yes.

I mean in an actual, not a joke, "people showing up on youtube with Were We Too Harsh On The Outer Worlds retrospectives" all of a sudden after playing starfield

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

I AM GRANDO posted:

turning a big dial taht says "hating women” on it and constantly looking back at the audience for approval like a contestant on the price is right

Plagiarist!

https://twitter.com/dril/status/841892608788041732?lang=en

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Garrand posted:

Assuming this isn't actually from the video as it's just too stupid, but while bored and trawling through a twitter search for "somerton" I found some peter coffin fans/viewers trying to spin a conspiracy about how HBomb's taking down of Somerton was ordered from Nebula execs because they were...jealous I guess of Somerton's crowdfunding of the movie studio thing and wanted to take out 'competition'.

Nebula executive, watching Somerton's Attack on Titan video over steepled hands. He presses a button. "Unleash the Hbomberguy."

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I skipped around through one of Coffin’s braindead gibberish videos and their basic argument is: everything is the fault of systemic problems, so you should never hold an individual accountable for doing something unethical and you especially shouldn’t criticize them online for inventing a fake Asian girlfriend plagiarism because that makes you the bully.

It was accompanied by this thumbnail:

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Purely anecdotal but like 3-4 of my friends or friends of friends started playing outer worlds again after they were done with starfield

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

its tied to the companion you use the most in the game you have no choice except to know ahead of time and use another companion more so they die instead

You don't have to make things up to make Starfield look bad, it has enough real issues. You get a choice between your two most used companions(counted by friendship points), it the standard and way overdone videogame choice.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Hel posted:

You don't have to make things up to make Starfield look bad, it has enough real issues. You get a choice between your two most used companions(counted by friendship points), it the standard and way overdone videogame choice.

This doesn’t sound meaningfully different from what 16bbh explained

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Bakeneko posted:

I skipped around through one of Coffin’s braindead gibberish videos and their basic argument is: everything is the fault of systemic problems, so you should never hold an individual accountable for doing something unethical and you especially shouldn’t criticize them online for inventing a fake Asian girlfriend plagiarism because that makes you the bully.

It was accompanied by this thumbnail:

I'm not going to watch the video but I have to assume he ends it by saying ".... but if HBomb's video is problematic that's also the fault of systemic problems so we can't hold him accountable either" right?

..... right??

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Grassy Knowles posted:

This doesn’t sound meaningfully different from what 16bbh explained

it sounds exactly the same, in fact

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
it sounds worse, actually

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
won't that lead to players putting in extra time / hearts / buddy points with a companion they don't like so they can sacrifice them later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

SexyBlindfold posted:

won't that lead to players

Doesn’t seem like it