Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Issaries posted:

They are not immune to melee. You need to target their floortile, which is circled red.

On other news, I don't know what happened, but I don't like what they've done to my Cassia:

For some reason her face does that while holding any two-handed gun. No clue why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

What's the first typical "gently caress you" Owlcat(tm) encounter in the game?
I only just started but it's been suspiciously smooth sailing on Daring difficulty so far.

I've read some people claiming that the Chaos Spawn encounter is bullshit but the game literally has a giant tutorial pop-up telling you to read enemy abilities during that fight and if you read it's abilities then than encounter is a joke.

What ability are you able to make a joke out of? I didn't read them, but Abelard literally just sat his fat rear end down and kept using his "Reduce damage by TGH & gain TGH temp wounds" ability. The thing was a bunch of hit points as it kept eating/healing, but it was never a threat for me.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

My big issue with combat right now is they love to set fights in huge arenas that take several turns for your slow as mollasses units to transverse with sniper squads at the other ends. Hope you brought along your own counter sniper squad or at least an officer whose only job is to spam the bonus range + ignore cover ability on your ranged guys. <- BTW its this ability that makes Argenta a blender.

Another issue is the game lying and saying I have line of slight and then watching sadly as my shot slams into indestructible cover.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Sab669 posted:

What ability are you able to make a joke out of? I didn't read them, but Abelard literally just sat his fat rear end down and kept using his "Reduce damage by TGH & gain TGH temp wounds" ability. The thing was a bunch of hit points as it kept eating/healing, but it was never a threat for me.

You kill all the adds first and then it can't do anything anymore.
It heals itself only if there are adds available to eat.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Makes sense, but I think I had it + Abe stuck in a little "corridor" where I couldn't even get around it to kill the adds. Or didn't want to open up a charge lane towards the rest of my party.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Also here's something fun: the electro priests you get offered to help you with the final fight in the monastery heal the heretic electro priests, making it harder to kill them and stop the countdown from the whole place blowing up. Thanks, Owlcat.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Kind of disappointed at Argenta's bolter damage :( Level 8 atm so presumably better ones appear eventually

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Is the warp meter bugged? I don't see it increasing with some powers, although I'm getting negative effects.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I had to lower the difficulty to Story, the fights just weren't fun anymore on Normal. In the beta the difficulty was all over the place but here it just becomes brutal for whatever reason after the first chapter.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Issaries posted:

They are not immune to melee. You need to target their floortile, which is circled red.

On other news, I don't know what happened, but I don't like what they've done to my Cassia:

Yeah I did try targeting the exact same place I was able to target fine with my ranged abilities. Must have been bugged I guess, good to know that encounter can be easier in theory.

For that Cassia bug it comes from equipping her with certain weapons. A buddy of mine triggered it using rifles.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

For those of you doing 150 damage in a turn please share your builds & tips. I know there are some people who think nothing of making spreadsheets of builds and scoff at the idea that CRPGs are hard but I'm not one of them.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Issaries posted:

House of Habsburg... IN SPACE!

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Kobal2 posted:

House of Habsburg... IN SPACE!

She does have the strangely elongated limbs mutation, as well as toothy gills, talons, and whatever is going on with her projective empathy.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Goddamn this game is so good. I am tweaking the difficulty a bit back and forth. I'm really happy you have control over so many aspects of the game. The lore is taking center stage front and center and it's amazing. I HAVE A MY OWN VOID SHIP YALL.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Yeah, Cassia seems to have more mutations than what is commonly expected from a Navigator in her age bracket. I´m sure that it´s just fine and nothing to worry about.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Wait, so she's not supposed to be a Habsburg?

evilmiera posted:

I had to lower the difficulty to Story, the fights just weren't fun anymore on Normal. In the beta the difficulty was all over the place but here it just becomes brutal for whatever reason after the first chapter.

I've done it already at Rykad Minoris or whatever it's called, because playing all those back to back fights on regular difficulty just takes soooo looooong. I wouldn't mind bumping the difficulty up again for a boss encounter or something, but for all those chaff enemies? No thanks. I'd like to complete this game before my 50th birthday.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

One more #Owlcat things:
You get trophies from destroying enemy ships, which can be traded from your cargo to the Imperial Navy to get better ship parts.
Except they automatically go to your inventory, not your cargo.
You have to manually place them to cargo to give them to Imperial Navy. And no, there's no other use for them. :psypop:

I got my first navy ranks after liberating all my worlds.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Can you set the first one you get to 'Always send to cargo' Or does this send them to the neather realm.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Cassia is explicitly the monster scion of a mutant tyrant who was at-best a controversial Paternova to her house. She's got a weird thing in her neck to stop her from driving your crew insane like she did to her servants on the space station. This is all text!

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

inscrutable horse posted:

Wait, so she's not supposed to be a Habsburg?

I mean, she's the romance option for a male PC so... probably not ? Although what with the liberal transgay agenda gone woke (gone insane (GONE SEXUAL(IN SPACE!))) you never know.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Are there any good source of Extractums other than the ones that get handed to you along the way in the story?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Okay yeah Cassia loving slaps when you get more Navigator powers on her and use the Guardian staff. Just endlessly stacking buffs for someone (usually Abelard) and endlessly stacking willpower for her. Most of the companions so far seem quite good in their own right, though I’m only done with two of the areas in the first system so I don’t have them all— the worst is Argenta but she’s more feast or famine than anything. When her burst fire hits it obliterates poo poo, but when only one or two do she feels anemic. Hoping there’s some talents I haven’t noticed yet to help with that, or that I get access to some different weapons soon.

The game is just continuing the long, storied tradition of 40k games somehow making bolters feel awful to use. :v:

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Bussamove posted:

Okay yeah Cassia loving slaps when you get more Navigator powers on her and use the Guardian staff. Just endlessly stacking buffs for someone (usually Abelard) and endlessly stacking willpower for her. Most of the companions so far seem quite good in their own right, though I’m only done with two of the areas in the first system so I don’t have them all— the worst is Argenta but she’s more feast or famine than anything. When her burst fire hits it obliterates poo poo, but when only one or two do she feels anemic. Hoping there’s some talents I haven’t noticed yet to help with that, or that I get access to some different weapons soon.

The game is just continuing the long, storied tradition of 40k games somehow making bolters feel awful to use. :v:
I don´t know, Space Marine had some pretty sick Bolter action IMHO and Darktide is pretty good at it as well.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
When I'm just starting out, is there any reason to not pick up everything I can from the reputation merchant people, based on my profit factor? Like, it doesn't seem to go down when I snag everything available to me, so I don't see the negatives. Especially since there also doesn't seem to be a limit on inventory (yet).

Infinity Gaia posted:

For some reason her face does that while holding any two-handed gun. No clue why.

I saw a guy holding a perfectly flat 2D rifle in one fight lol.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Sylphosaurus posted:

I don´t know, Space Marine had some pretty sick Bolter action IMHO and Darktide is pretty good at it as well.

Space Marine has some good feeling bolters, yeah. I always tried using them in Darktide but goddamn that racking animation when you pull them out after swapping from melee feels longer than some opening cinematics in the middle of a fight. But I haven’t played in a hot minute so they might have adjusted that.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

For those of you doing 150 damage in a turn please share your builds & tips. I know there are some people who think nothing of making spreadsheets of builds and scoff at the idea that CRPGs are hard but I'm not one of them.

Here is generally what I did for Cassia to turn her into that kind of monster around level 17ish:

1. Up willpower then perception.
2. Take the "Notch of Purpose" and "Point of Curiosity" abilities.
3. Take perilous ways ([willpower bonus + 2 per cell moved] damage when forced to move), Mastery of Time (+5 willpower when a creature gets an extra go)
4. Equip a devastating staff (adds its value in damage to all impacted. Also allows to cast an ability twice in a turn, but it does damage to cassia too. The Strange Vitality talent heals for way more damage than it'll do so it is no big deal)

As the fight goes on and my officer gives people extra turns Cassia's willpower gets higher and higher. 100-200 willpower is very doable. Her turns involve casting Point of Curiosity twice to herd enemies around, then either hitting them with her cone AoE to stun most of them or a single target attack I picked up whose name escapes me to nuke one enemy hard. I took grand strategist as her 2nd archetype only because it guarantees that she always goes first. This happens after my officer's Seize the Initiative so she goes twice before the enemies get any actions at all. Note that I also have talents that scales her wounds from willpower, dodge from perception and nerfs perception + agility of anyone in her line of sight so she's very survivable too.

In general, I feel you can build a solid killing character by following these steps:

1. Make the characteristic you use to hit things high.
2. Make the characteristics your archetype scales on high.
3. Break the action economy by either getting additional turns or getting extra attacks per turn.
4. Make sure support character(s) that buff characteristics 1 and 2 are built to buff those as high as possible.

FurtherReading fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Dec 10, 2023

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Issaries posted:

Lol yeah that happens whenever you give her a rifle, very funny. For a second I thought they had just made navigators even freakier

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Where does one pick up Cassia? Maybe I simply haven't played enough. I'm doing the final (?) fight in the monastery.

Henrix and Argenta were none too pleased with what I said to Aurora :v:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I just finished the first planet-side mission. Is there a way to fast-travel back to the ship?

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
So, before retiring my Operative that I simply wasn´t feeling I landed in act one and after a few reloads I realized that the state of the different locations changes depending on what order you visit them, which IMHO is a far better solution than the time sensitive quest states that Owlcat had in the Pathfinder games. Has anyone found an "ideal" order to of when to visit the locations?

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Sab669 posted:

Where does one pick up Cassia? Maybe I simply haven't played enough. I'm doing the final (?) fight in the monastery.

Henrix and Argenta were none too pleased with what I said to Aurora :v:

You pick her up in the space station in that system. The monastery is the final fight for the rykas minoris rebellion. I did Cassia first so I am not sure where it makes you wait before the act finale. I think the prison planetoid might be optional.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Aramoro posted:

Can you set the first one you get to 'Always send to cargo' Or does this send them to the neather realm.

The Ship combat loot UI is different. You can right-click and choose to 'add to cargo' for each individual stack.
There's no always send to cargo option.
Also the button for 'add to cargo' doesn't even work. They still went to the regular inventory.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I did the prison planet and navigator’s station first, I feel like the actual planet is gonna be turbofucked next time I play.

I also let the rabble in the lower decks try and police themselves and all the upper crust got mad at me about it. Suck it, nerds, Iconoclast4lyfe.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Sylphosaurus posted:

So, before retiring my Operative that I simply wasn´t feeling I landed in act one and after a few reloads I realized that the state of the different locations changes depending on what order you visit them, which IMHO is a far better solution than the time sensitive quest states that Owlcat had in the Pathfinder games. Has anyone found an "ideal" order to of when to visit the locations?

From watching beta let's plays:

Doing the prison planetoid first means the rogue trader heir there doesn't get mutilated by the warden.

Doing the space station first means you can loot it for jewels for extra profit factor. There's an option to loot equipment instead, I dunno what that gives.

I don't know what is different about doing the capital first as I haven't seen that path yet.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Wow look at all this cover in front of this chaos space marine. Better put my guys behind it. Oh he... he just ran around the cover and his attacks are now hitting everyone lined up in a row. Three people died on turn one. Lesson learned.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Issaries posted:

Inbreeding is a motherfucker.

Heavy Bolter Arch Militant Argenta is partially online. Needs a bit of support from my officer corps, but with a Backline + Fire At Will zone and some help getting to the first Heroic Act to trigger Steady Superiority, she can build two stacks of versatility a turn. I want to grab the Heavy Gunner (-1 AP to fire heavy weapons) and Breaking Point (+2 Damage and Ignore 2 Deflection) talents to finally round it out.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Sylphosaurus posted:

This is Necromunda:Hired Gun erasure and I, for one, will not stand for it.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Janissary Hop posted:

Wow look at all this cover in front of this chaos space marine. Better put my guys behind it. Oh he... he just ran around the cover and his attacks are now hitting everyone lined up in a row. Three people died on turn one. Lesson learned.

seems pretty lore accurate lmao

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Bussamove posted:

I did the prison planet and navigator’s station first, I feel like the actual planet is gonna be turbofucked next time I play.

I also let the rabble in the lower decks try and police themselves and all the upper crust got mad at me about it. Suck it, nerds, Iconoclast4lyfe.

Rofl this won't backfire at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Philthy posted:

seems pretty lore accurate lmao

Reminded of that part in Eisenhorn where he and his elite human squad see a single chaos marine moving towards them, and Eisenhorn's first thought is a very calm (paraphrasing) "Me and my squad are going to die in the next couple of seconds but I can warn the other squads about this" and then while he is getting on his vox/radio or whatever, a loyalist space marine bursts in and tackles the chaos one at like super speed.