Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Netanyahu's whole platform has been "we will never negotiate with Palestinians, they will never have a state, we will keep them under occupation forever".He has been in power for literally decades now. The present circumstances and any resulting fallout are entirely the responsibility of the Israeli govt. and their policies. It's a complete waste of time to wring our hands about how badly the people living under the boot of genocidal occupation behave.

criticizing Hamas' tactics is whatever, you can go ahead and do that if you want to, but again it's a waste of time when the occupier fully rejects any kind of rapprochement and has openly done so for (at least) decades now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I don't think the ends justify any means. Your stance not only excuses but justifies literally anything, which I find incredibly immoral.

It's a little bit of an aside, but I also think Hamas's actions that we were discussing do not help end the genocide. I do not think taking 10 month olds hostage and sexually assaulting people helps them win their struggle. I don't think Allied armies raping women or mutilating the dead in WW2 helped them win their struggle either, or resistance fighters committing the same crimes, to use your example.

In my opinion the appropriate, moral, response to Hamas fighters committing crimes/atrocities would be for the leadership of Hamas or whatever passes for a chain of command to hold the people who commit these crimes responsible for them. I see no sign of that, or any indication that if Hamas were to somehow come out on top that this would be the case. I genuinely question the ethics of someone who would not only refuse to contemn those actions but would refuse to even talk about them.

I answered your question, so please answer mine: is there anywhere that you would actually draw the line? is there any crime a Hamas fighter could do that could be so terrible that it should actually be highlighted?

I'm not expressing shock, I'm just pointing out the impasse.

It's kind of hard to engage with you in good faith when you're clearly taking the least charitable interpretation of my words possible. But let's give it a shot.

Yes, I believe that in the specific case of resisting genocide, that the ends justify the means. Because what is the alternative? You can't subject people to oppression and genocide and then expect them to fight by the rules that are amenable to the oppressor. It's literally a fight for survival, and the alternative is laying down and dying quietly. As I keep having to point out, the responsibility is on Israel to end the genocide. Do you think that any other resistance to genocide in the history of humanity has been clean and free of acts that would otherwise be deemed heinous? This is a liberal fantasy.

You didn't fully answer my question because that's not really a response to Hamas's actions, that's just what you think Hamas should do. Let me be more specific: what do you think should be the appropriate response from Israel to Hamas's actions? Furthermore, what do you think should be the appropriate response from the rest of the word to Hamas's actions?

Your question kind of cuts to the heart of the matter to me, and there's an implication there that is open to interpretation, so let me first ask you a question of clarification: what should be the result of "crossing the line"? It's a question that I keep asking, and I haven't gotten a coherent answer yet. What opinions of mine should be changed if Hamas crosses the line? What should I believe is justified if Hamas crosses the line? The more charitable interpretation would be that you simply want me to acknowledge that Hamas has committed crimes. If that's all it takes, and we can move on from there, then yes, I acknowledge that Hamas has committed crimes. I would also point out that I have never denied that they have, nor have I said that they are acceptable in the absolute - only that they should not be the focus of anyone's ire while a literal genocide is ongoing. You cannot remove Hamas's actions from the context of an ongoing genocide no matter what.

The less charitable interpretation is that if Hamas crosses the line, then I should support their eradication. That is not something I can ever support. Even if Israel was magically able to kill every member of Hamas without harming a single civilian, they are still the legitimate government in Gaza, and their power there was deliberately engineered by Israel so that any opposition to the genocide would be in the hands of extremists. I will give you the benefit of the doubt for now that you don't believe that, so I'd appreciate your clarification.

And just to reiterate, my point is that for the time being, while there is an ongoing genocide, that everyone's ire should be laser focused on the people committing the genocide, and not on the people resisting the genocide. Save it for the truth and reconciliation that will come when this is over, god willing.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

It's kind of hard to engage with you in good faith when you're clearly taking the least charitable interpretation of my words possible. But let's give it a shot.

Likewise! I am required by forum rules to engage you in good faith. I am not required to actually believe you have it.

Fister Roboto posted:

Yes, I believe that in the specific case of resisting genocide, that the ends justify the means. Because what is the alternative? You can't subject people to oppression and genocide and then expect them to fight by the rules that are amenable to the oppressor. It's literally a fight for survival, and the alternative is laying down and dying quietly. As I keep having to point out, the responsibility is on Israel to end the genocide. Do you think that any other resistance to genocide in the history of humanity has been clean and free of acts that would otherwise be deemed heinous? This is a liberal fantasy.

No, I don't believe this and in fact my previous post used the hypothetical of such cases as examples. Thank you for answering the question.

Fister Roboto posted:

You didn't fully answer my question because that's not really a response to Hamas's actions, that's just what you think Hamas should do. Let me be more specific: what do you think should be the appropriate response from Israel to Hamas's actions? Furthermore, what do you think should be the appropriate response from the rest of the word to Hamas's actions?

I think sexual assault and taking babies prisoner should be condemned by absolutely everyone. I think the appropriate response is to condemn these things rather than ignore them as you've advocated, and continue to focus on ending Israel's genocide. I think it is possible to do more than one thing at a time.

Fister Roboto posted:

Your question kind of cuts to the heart of the matter to me, and there's an implication there that is open to interpretation, so let me first ask you a question of clarification: what should be the result of "crossing the line"? It's a question that I keep asking, and I haven't gotten a coherent answer yet. What opinions of mine should be changed if Hamas crosses the line? What should I believe is justified if Hamas crosses the line? The more charitable interpretation would be that you simply want me to acknowledge that Hamas has committed crimes. If that's all it takes, and we can move on from there, then yes, I acknowledge that Hamas has committed crimes. I would also point out that I have never denied that they have, nor have I said that they are acceptable in the absolute - only that they should not be the focus of anyone's ire while a literal genocide is ongoing. You cannot remove Hamas's actions from the context of an ongoing genocide no matter what.

The less charitable interpretation is that if Hamas crosses the line, then I should support their eradication. That is not something I can ever support. Even if Israel was magically able to kill every member of Hamas without harming a single civilian, they are still the legitimate government in Gaza, and their power there was deliberately engineered by Israel so that any opposition to the genocide would be in the hands of extremists. I will give you the benefit of the doubt for now that you don't believe that, so I'd appreciate your clarification.

I told you what a moral response would be in my opinion, and why I think your stance of not talking about it at all is immoral. I'm not sure which part you think is incoherent, or why you're jumping to eradicating Hamas.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Alright, if that's all it takes then I condemn the bad actions of Hamas. Now let's move on.

enahs
Jan 1, 2010

Grow up.
Is there a term for the practice of people constantly (or at least partially) misinterpreting the other side's argument, expressing outrage/judgment at the misinterpreted argument they've imagined, and claiming ignorance of how the other side could misunderstand their own arguments? I feel like I've seen it several times in this thread and it is very tiresome to read, especially when it is the same argument that has been had before, just with different posters. I believe the first time I saw it was regarding reports of decapitated babies, then the Al-Shifa hospital bombing, and now sexual assault. It feels similar to whataboutism and gish galloping, but distinct from that.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Likewise! I am required by forum rules to engage you in good faith. I am not required to actually believe you have it.

No, I don't believe this and in fact my previous post used the hypothetical of such cases as examples. Thank you for answering the question.

I think sexual assault and taking babies prisoner should be condemned by absolutely everyone. I think the appropriate response is to condemn these things rather than ignore them as you've advocated, and continue to focus on ending Israel's genocide. I think it is possible to do more than one thing at a time.

I told you what a moral response would be in my opinion, and why I think your stance of not talking about it at all is immoral. I'm not sure which part you think is incoherent, or why you're jumping to eradicating Hamas.

im still curious since youve been asked several times already in this thread and have basically evaded a concrete response; what should Palestinians do to achieve peace and freedom?

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
More videos coming out of people surrendering to Israel soldiers. Lots of them

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Fister Roboto posted:

I believe that people have the right to resist genocide by any means necessary. Because genocide is such a heinous crime, that means that resistance could include actions that, in a vacuum, would also be heinous. Again, it is entirely the responsibility of Israel to end the genocide and occupation of Palestine. And you apparently agree with me, because you rightly believe that the only appropriate response is to end the genocide. So why keep raising these concerns over Hamas? You're contradicting yourself by saying that Hamas shouldn't be able to "commit any action without moral responsibility" while also acknowledging that the only appropriate response is irrelevant to that moral responsibility.

I don't understand what you're trying to say here. Yes, it's Israel's role to stop the genocide. That doesn't mean I think it's fine if Hamas abduct random people who are not enabling said genocide as a response. I don't understand how this is a contradiction.

Fister Roboto posted:

Here's my overall point: if you truly oppose genocide, then it is not morally appropriate to highlight the alleged crimes of the people being genocided. That's just helping to justify the genocide, whether you're aware of it or not. If we were back in the holocaust and someone kept saying that they had some concerns about Jewish resistance groups raping women and killing babies (but they don't approve of what the nazis are doing either), that would obviously be reprehensible.

Once Palestine is free, then we can have a conversation about Hamas's crimes.

I disagree with this completely. I do not think voicing concerns about horrific actions performed by Jewish resistance groups during the holocaust would be reprehensible. I don't think that any theoretical response, especially if it's not going to end said genocide, is appropriate. I believe that it's moral to go after those who are enabling said genocide. But not killing/taking random people hostage who either have nothing to do with it and might even be on the same side of opposing Israel's policies.

We just have different moral boundaries. You seem to think any action is okay if a group is being genocided and their struggle is more important than lives who are not enabling said genocide (correct me if I'm wrong). I disagree and would generally draw the line at when said innocent lives are being actively targeted :shrug:

Kalit fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Dec 9, 2023

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Collapsing Farts posted:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Kalit posted:

I don't understand what you're trying to say here. Yes, it's Israel's role to stop the genocide. That doesn't mean I think it's fine if Hamas abduct random people who are not enabling said genocide as a response. I don't understand how this is a contradiction.

I disagree with this completely. I do not think voicing concerns about horrific actions performed by Jewish resistance groups during the holocaust would be reprehensible. I don't think that any theoretical response, especially if it's not going to end said genocide, is appropriate. I believe that it's moral to go after those who are enabling said genocide. But not killing/taking random people hostage who either have nothing to do with it and might even be on the same side of opposing Israel's policies.

We just have different moral boundaries. You seem to think any action is okay if a group is being genocided and their struggle is more important than lives who are not enabling said genocide (correct me if I'm wrong). I disagree and would generally draw the line at when said innocent lives are being actively targeted :shrug:

The contradiction is that you think that Hamas should be held morally responsible for their actions but you're not able or willing to say what that responsibility should look like. Should they be punished? Should they be brought before a war crimes tribunal? Maybe they should! But probably not at least until the genocide is over and Palestine is free. Or do you just want people to agree with you that Hamas has done bad things? That's fine, and I do agree with you, but it's also completely immaterial. It's functionally the same as my position.

I've stated my position multiple times, and it's that people have the right to resist genocide by any means necessary. This doesn't mean that every action is acceptable, but it does mean that it should be judged after the genocide has ended, not during. If you truly think that it would be acceptable to criticize the actions of resistance groups during the holocaust, then I strongly urge you to think about why. But yes, that seems to be the impasse in this discussion.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Collapsing Farts posted:

Probably smarter for the civilians to do than wait for the IDF to strip you naked and call you Hamas.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Honestly if the IDF can make a big show of capturing "Hamas militants" and just declare victory as soon as possible, that's probably for the best.

They're losing 1-2 soldiers a day and have no measurable victories. Zero (0) hostages rescued by military action, no Hamas strongholds captured etc.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Fister Roboto posted:

The contradiction is that you think that Hamas should be held morally responsible for their actions but you're not able or willing to say what that responsibility should look like. Should they be punished? Should they be brought before a war crimes tribunal? Maybe they should! But probably not at least until the genocide is over and Palestine is free. Or do you just want people to agree with you that Hamas has done bad things? That's fine, and I do agree with you, but it's also completely immaterial. It's functionally the same as my position.

I've stated my position multiple times, and it's that people have the right to resist genocide by any means necessary. This doesn't mean that every action is acceptable, but it does mean that it should be judged after the genocide has ended, not during. If you truly think that it would be acceptable to criticize the actions of resistance groups during the holocaust, then I strongly urge you to think about why. But yes, that seems to be the impasse in this discussion.

Ahhh, thank you for the clarification. I'm using "morally responsible" as meaning for individuals/organizations/governments as officially condemning to hopefully have the perpetuator take a step back and realize they might not be helping their own cause. Of course, it could easily lead to escalation if more countries end up getting involved, which hopefully will not happen. But overall, I don't think any official reprimanding actions should occur unless there is a ceasefire and it should be for both sides.

Thanks for the advice and I strongly urge you to think more about those innocent lives who are impacted by senseless violence that doesn't even seem to help stop, or even slow down, a genocide.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Dec 9, 2023

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Collapsing Farts posted:

Israel realized how bad that video of them abducting random men from a shelter was and now they’re giving their kidnapping victims guns to put down as well.

Nucleic Acids fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Dec 9, 2023

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

No no see they stripped the terrorists naked first and THEN had them hand over their weapons.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Neurolimal posted:

Probably smarter for the civilians to do than wait for the IDF to strip you naked and call you Hamas.

Pretty sure that every male Palestinian older than 10 years old is going to be stripped and called Hamas anyway, just not on the camera.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Kalit posted:

Ahhh, thank you for the clarification. I'm using "morally responsible" as meaning for individuals/organizations/governments as officially condemning to hopefully have the perpetuator take a step back and realize they might not be helping their own cause. Of course, it could easily lead to escalation if more countries end up getting involved, which hopefully will not happen. But overall, I don't think any official reprimanding actions should occur unless there is a ceasefire and it should be for both sides.

Thanks for the advice and I strongly urge you to think about those innocent lives who are impacted by senseless violence that doesn't even seem to help stop, or even slow down, a genocide.

I believe that ultimately it is the responsibility of the genociders to end the genocide, and that means that the blame for innocent lives lost and harmed lies on them. That might sound antithetical to your values, but it is the tragic moral framework that genocide imposes.

I would also suggest that you take a step back and think about why you claim to know what is and isn't effective means for resisting genocide. Maybe I'm making an incorrect assumption, but I'm guessing that you have never been subject to genocide yourself. Not saying that you need to find any action acceptable, but you should probably acknowledge that it's just not your place to judge people who have been subjected to incredible violence and oppression for generations.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Nucleic Acids posted:

Israel realized how bad that video of them abducting random men from a shelter was and now they’re giving their kidnapping victims guns to put down as well.
I think it's very straight. The Israeli military wants everyone to see ruins and humiliated prisoners.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Nucleic Acids posted:

lol, yup.

https://x.com/mylordbebo/status/1733575203110711549?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Can someone translate what the soldiers are saying in both clips? I've shown this to someone, and they suggested that they made one guy bring over everyone's weapons one by one.

E: Looking closer at the comparison here

https://twitter.com/MyLordBebo/status/1733606968550473791

Seems like the top video was filmed first, and in the bottom video, you can see the gun he put there in the first one.

I very much doubt everyone there is a Hamas member, though, and I imagine at least some civilians in Gaza own guns.

E2: Also, what a loving dreadful twitter account. Wasn't there really a better source?

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 9, 2023

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Shehada has identified the 'gunman' in the videos:

https://x.com/muhammadshehad2/status/1733609300113711454?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/NTarnopolsky/status/1733229697641697404

Question is how do they get the fucker out of power quickly. He set this up to make it as difficult as possible.

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

punishedkissinger posted:

I just want to point out that the suicide bombing specifically did achieve the political goal of ending the ongoing settlement of Gaza

Nathan Thrall (the guy who wrote 'A Day in the Life of Abed Salama', which you should all read anyway) wrote a book called 'The Only Language They Understand: Forcing Compromise in Israel and Palestine' pointing out that both non-violent and violent force has been the only real method for securing compromise, from the 1973 war to Carter's pressure on Begin to the destruction of PLO bases etc.

In other news, I've seen a figure making the rounds of at least 5,000 Israeli wounded (see below) since October 7th, which brings it by my calculation to the second highest wounded count after the 1973 war (7-9,000 wounded per Wikipedia). It completely blows through the 3,500 or so *in three years* in Lebanon between 1982-1985. It's probably third highest if you include 1948 but the estimates there are all over the place.

e: found the Twitter source. It was Mairav Zonszein quoting Ynet but apparently that's been revised down to 2,000 and is now the accurate number. Could be the military censor. In either case, one of the most injurious conflicts in Israel's history and at a rapid pace against a force estimated to be 30,000-40,000 *after having destroyed 60-70% of all buildings in the Gaza strip*.

I think it's reasonable to project a 5-10% death rate proportionate to the wounded rate. Would suspect that would mean between 100-200 soldiers killed since Oct 7th, which probably tracks to whatever the IDF has confirmed of late.

https://x.com/MairavZ/status/1733491585495564644?s=20

e2:

OctaMurk posted:

judging by ratios of killed to wounded by e.g. the USA in the iraq war, we could be looking at like 1000 idf dead by now

Think that's probably a very high guess. Mairav also suggested that around 58% of injuries were severe limb injuries (with significant numbers of amputations). Suggests to me that a lot of soldiers probably saved by their body armour or rapid treatment, despite various shortages. I think 5-10% is reasonable. If it's the revised 2,000 wounded figure then would suggest a ceiling of 200. If 5,000 is secretly legit then upper ceiling of about 500.

Which, even leaving injuries aside, would make it one of Israel's worst military disasters since its inception. Lebanon '82 saw about 650 killed IIRC and Lebanon '06 something like 120.

Hong XiuQuan fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Dec 10, 2023

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Hong XiuQuan posted:

Nathan Thrall (the guy who wrote 'A Day in the Life of Abed Salama', which you should all read anyway) wrote a book called 'The Only Language They Understand: Forcing Compromise in Israel and Palestine' pointing out that both non-violent and violent force has been the only real method for securing compromise, from the 1973 war to Carter's pressure on Begin to the destruction of PLO bases etc.

In other news, I've seen a figure making the rounds of at least 5,000 Israeli wounded (see below) since October 7th, which brings it by my calculation to the second highest wounded count after the 1973 war (7-9,000 wounded per Wikipedia). It completely blows through the 3,500 or so *in three years* in Lebanon between 1982-1985. It's probably third highest if you include 1948 but the estimates there are all over the place.

judging by ratios of killed to wounded by e.g. the USA in the iraq war, we could be looking at like 1000 idf dead by now

e: im bad at math

OctaMurk fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Dec 10, 2023

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."
https://www.mako.co.il/news-military/6361323ddea5a810/Article-f5fdaeb7aeb4c81027.htm

quote:

"He told me: 'Look at me, I'm from East Jerusalem, we want to take you to Gaza,'" Yasmin recalled. Hadas described: "At that moment there was some unrest around the table, Liali was scared, and then the translator said: 'Calm down, calm down, we're just taking you to Erez Crossing and Gaza and tomorrow night you're already home.'"
[...]
At four o'clock in the afternoon, the troops arrived. "Not five or ten minutes pass from the time they arrive, and a barrage of gunfire begins. Madness, we were all lying flat on the floor," Jasmine said. Hadas said: "It is clear to me that our role is to be a human wall, between our forces that come and between them."

"Adi and I shrink, shrink and go into spoonful mode," she continued. "When I'm behind him, I hug him." Chaos ensues outside the house as some of the hostages run or prostrate themselves on the floor. "Bullets enter the house in every possible way, and suddenly something heavy - a mortar." Jasmine said.

[...]
At seven o'clock in the evening the battle is at its peak. Brigadier General Barak Hiram, who directed the fighting in the area, joined the forces in front of Passi's house. One of the soldiers slammed him for the fighting: "Barak, it's a disgrace," to which he replied: "I know." The tank fired two shells: one to the floor, the other to the roof of the house.

This is an interesting account. tl;dr hostage testimony that there was a roundup with clear intent to take hostages to Gaza. Instead of police to escort, army arrived and firing started. Army used mortars and eventually tank rounds killing everyone but two hostages.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Flopsy posted:

https://twitter.com/NTarnopolsky/status/1733229697641697404

Question is how do they get the fucker out of power quickly. He set this up to make it as difficult as possible.

idk IDF or Shin Bet pulls a President Park Chung Hee? Doubt a military-intelligence junta would be better for the situation than Bibi and his Likudniks, but at least it would be more honest of Israel than "the Middle East's only democracy".

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Young Freud posted:

idk IDF or Shin Bet pulls a President Park Chung Hee? Doubt a military-intelligence junta would be better for the situation than Bibi and his Likudniks, but at least it would be more honest of Israel than "the Middle East's only democracy".

I dont think there are any factions with power in Israel that would be better for Gaza tbh

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

https://x.com/marwasf/status/1733064641486495980?s=20

Another crime against humanity committed by Israel. Not only destroying people, but history too. Will this mosque get the same amount of support and attention as Notre Dame? I doubt that.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

DelilahFlowers posted:

https://x.com/marwasf/status/1733064641486495980?s=20

Another crime against humanity committed by Israel. Not only destroying people, but history too. Will this mosque get the same amount of support and attention as Notre Dame? I doubt that.

You gotta see it from Israel's point of view, at some point in the last 2000 years a terrorist could of possibly stepped foot inside that mosque.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Israel also destroyed one of the oldest Christian churches in Gaza earlier in the war as well. Gaza as a city is one of the oldest in the world as is, so seeing it be destroyed and ruined like this is pretty terrible from a historical preservation perspective as well.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Biden is now bypassing Congress to shovel weapons to the apartheid state

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1733573499812196392?t=4J-ucuivzZ6-cEcctMEmCw&s=19

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

punishedkissinger posted:

Biden is now bypassing Congress to shovel weapons to the apartheid state

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1733573499812196392?t=4J-ucuivzZ6-cEcctMEmCw&s=19

Feels like every time a U.S. president does this it turns out to be a bad idea? :thunk:

Dec 10, 2023
the entire ideological apparatus still holds a favorable view of Israel as of december 10th 2023

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Biden can make whatever mealy mouthed statements he wants, but in every action he shows that he supports genocide.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
At this point I'm pretty sure Israel could drop a nuke on Palestinian refugee camp filled with infants and US would still claim it was necessary self defense.

GarudaPrime
May 19, 2006

THE PANTS ARE FANCY!
How corrupt is Hamas as an organization at the top?

I get that Hamas is a large governing body, and there are just trash collectors and teachers or whatever.
I'm curious about the actual Hamas leadership though? Do they get personally rich off the continued conflict and keeping Isreal from normalizing relations with other gulf nations, or are alot of them actually in the trenches doing the freedom fighting?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Less corrupt than Fatah it seems? One of the big advantages they had during the last election was they were better at providing services for Gaza.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
There are accusations floating around that Hamas' top brass are richer than Abbas or even Netanyahu.

https://nypost.com/2023/11/07/news/hamas-leaders-worth-11bn-live-luxury-lives-in-qatar/

The sources on that are not super reliable, though, as far as I can tell.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
What was Hamas' goal with Oct 7? Even as someone with only basic knowledge on I/P it was very predictable that Israel would respond by using it as an excuse to execute their dream of total obliteration, brutal torture, and genocide of Palestinians. Did they make the mistake of believing that Israel would give a single gently caress about Israeli hostages and that it would give them leverage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news...item#1308272871 - "Of the hundreds of Palestinian detainees photographed handcuffed in the Gaza Strip in recent days, about 10 to 15 percent are Hamas operatives or are identified with the organization - according to senior security officials who spoke to Haaretz on Sunday. The IDF reported that the Palestinians who are not Hamas operatives that were arrested have been released."

Did they just admitted that 85% of people they stripped down, humiliated and arrested were basically innocent civilians and "we totally released them later, trust us bro"?