Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Tighclops posted:

do you have stairs in your house

i have two staircases in my house so that if one is on fire I can still be pushed down the other one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Pyrtanis posted:

Just make a fireproof tunnel though the center of the building with a pole so people can just slide down
just make every building a fire station imo

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Tighclops posted:

I am protected

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

Tighclops posted:

do you have stairs in your luxury condo

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i would rather have a regular condo with luxury stairs vs a luxury condo with regular stairs

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
the same way in our medical system your teeth are your luxury bones, in our housing system your second staircase si your luxury staircase

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Cars cost too much! Lets remove seatbelts and airbags, that should incentivize manufacturers to lower costs. While we're at it lets remove speed limits, that should cut commute times down and ease congestion. Bing bong so simple, look at all these common sense solutions.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

vyelkin posted:

i have two staircases in my house so that if one is on fire I can still be pushed down the other one

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Virtual Russian posted:

Cars cost too much! Lets remove seatbelts and airbags, that should incentivize manufacturers to lower costs. While we're at it lets remove speed limits, that should cut commute times down and ease congestion. Bing bong so simple, look at all these common sense solutions.

houses cost too much let's make tiny homes out of shipping containers!

*two months later*

we regret to inform you that the shipping container homes have all sold to investment firms for over seven figures

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

vyelkin posted:

houses cost too much let's make tiny homes out of shipping containers!

*two months later*

we regret to inform you that the shipping container homes have all sold to investment firms for over seven figures

I'm an artist, so I encounter a ton of tiny home enthusiasts, the art scene is lousy with those people. I will never understand the appeal. It is just an objectively worse trailer home. They cost almost as much (I know it is cheaper, but if you can't afford a trailer home you aren't affording a tiny house), and you still have to plunk it down on existing land. The result is just even less dense housing. They exist purely on vibes, I've never ever heard from someone that actually lives in one, because I assume almost no one does. I highly doubt anyone that lives in one on Instagram really just uses it for anything more than a cottage. Likely just renting it or something for their insta.

Also again, they have to go on land, which is going to cost you more than the tiny home, so you may as well go a little further and put a trailer home on that parcel.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Virtual Russian posted:

I'm an artist, so I encounter a ton of tiny home enthusiasts, the art scene is lousy with those people. I will never understand the appeal. It is just an objectively worse trailer home. They cost almost as much (I know it is cheaper, but if you can't afford a trailer home you aren't affording a tiny house), and you still have to plunk it down on existing land. The result is just even less dense housing. They exist purely on vibes, I've never ever heard from someone that actually lives in one, because I assume almost no one does. I highly doubt anyone that lives in one on Instagram really just uses it as a cottage or only for the gram.

Also again, they have to go on land, which is going to cost you more than the tiny home, so you may as well go a little further and put a trailer home on that parcel.

it's classism appealing to middle-class hippies

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/JustinTrudeau/status/1733849752855364015

lol

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

cock hero flux posted:

do they?

i mean i had my apartment building catch fire a few years back but like, everyone just left? down the stairs? seems like you don't die if you do that, but if there's only one maybe it's on fire and you can't. i dunno, seems like having 2 staircases isn't so much to ask and that housing prices aren't so loving nuts purely because a second set of stairs is some unsustainable luxury and the free market will correct it if only the man wasn't forcing them to add all these unnecessary stairs

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

vyelkin posted:

the same way in our medical system your teeth are your luxury bones, in our housing system your second staircase si your luxury staircase

mods repeating slurs smdh this really is the most d&d thread in cspam

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
I escaped a burning apartment in the middle of a January night in Winnipeg 20 years ago. I owe my life to Dual Stairwell Theory

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

wow! PM virtue signal!

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Karach posted:

I escaped a burning apartment in the middle of a January night in Winnipeg 20 years ago. I owe my life to Dual Stairwell Theory

But can you see how it would have been better if the developer had a slightly better profit margin?

I feel bad even joking about this, I don't understand how some people here are advocating for less safe buildings. It isn't like adding an extra luxury condo to each floor is going to magically make affordable housing appear. This is as bad as thinking privatizing healthcare is going to make medical treatment "more accessible".

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
https://twitter.com/bankofcanada/status/1228287950544424961

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Tighclops posted:

I am protected (by more stairs, ideally well insulated)

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

:sbahj:

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Virtual Russian posted:

But can you see how it would have been better if the developer had a slightly better profit margin?

I feel bad even joking about this, I don't understand how some people here are advocating for less safe buildings. It isn't like adding an extra luxury condo to each floor is going to magically make affordable housing appear. This is as bad as thinking privatizing healthcare is going to make medical treatment "more accessible".

In the same way that our teeth are luxury bones, *some people* view that extra stairwell as a luxury egress

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
looking forward to open concept private hospitals with minimal stairs. we simply can't afford walls and hallways at persistent 130% capacity

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Karach posted:

In the same way that our teeth are luxury bones, *some people* view that extra stairwell as a luxury egress

Except our teeth already aren't covered, this would be like advocating that anything to do with our arms get removed from healthcare coverage, because that will create better care for the rest of our bodies.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Virtual Russian posted:

Except our teeth already aren't covered, this would be like advocating that anything to do with our arms get removed from healthcare coverage, because that will create better care for the rest of our bodies.

tbh you only really need one arm, your other arm is a luxury limb and any costs associated with it should be paid out of pocket.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Teeth are just the granite countertop of the skeleton

Dec 10, 2023

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Virtual Russian posted:

compromisse, only one stairwell per building but every unit gets an inflatable bouncy slide down to ground level

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

during an actual fire stairs are a deathtrap, yall have fun being lit on fire repeatedly as i fly to safety from my balcony in my wingsuit

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
easy solution, just go into your menu settings and turn off fall damage

some people will tell you this is cheating but honestly if the devs didnt want people to cheat in this section they wouldnt have programmed the level with only one staircase

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

My old three story apartment building had two stairwells and hasn't caught fire yet. Coincidence?

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNg2rYoGppU

Please stop talking about fire you're giving me acid flashbacks

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The roof, the roof, the roof is on fire
We don't need two stairwells let the motherfucker burn

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
how many stairwells does the jimmy pattison AI ghoul recommend

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Virtual Russian posted:

I'm an artist, so I encounter a ton of tiny home enthusiasts, the art scene is lousy with those people. I will never understand the appeal. It is just an objectively worse trailer home. They cost almost as much (I know it is cheaper, but if you can't afford a trailer home you aren't affording a tiny house), and you still have to plunk it down on existing land. The result is just even less dense housing. They exist purely on vibes, I've never ever heard from someone that actually lives in one, because I assume almost no one does. I highly doubt anyone that lives in one on Instagram really just uses it for anything more than a cottage. Likely just renting it or something for their insta.

Bohemian artists used to be happy in spacious loft apartments built in the shells of formerly productive factories and now they're clamouring for one-room shacks where they can take a dump while stirring their Kraft Dinner. A society in decline

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

:911:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

DaysBefore posted:

they can take a dump while stirring their Kraft Dinner.

it really is all about efficiency

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ah yes, the twin towers, a great example of a four floor apartment building with one stairwell

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

ah yes, the twin towers, a great example of a four floor apartment building with one stairwell

to be clear the same principle applies for any building that is high enough that a human being will not survive jumping from the top floor. ie: 2 stories or maybe 3 if there's bushes or something you can aim for

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

why dont they make the whole building out of the stairwell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

lobster shirt posted:

why dont they make the whole building out of the stairwell

They tried this in Europe and thousands perished in deathtraps like these: