Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

SUNKOS posted:

Blade is cool and all but now that Activision is part of Xbox I'm surprised that they didn't announce a Hulk game since they have the devs of Hulk: Ultimate Destruction & Prototype now. Them getting to make a new Hulk game on current gen would be freakin' incredible, think of all the explosions they could have on-screen :swoon:

I don't know if all of those people are gone but most of them definitely are, including directors. Lead designer is now on Battlefield at DICE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Yeah, Radical Entertainment was all-but-dissolved after Prototype 2. What's left is basically the Vancouver branch of Activision's Central Tech R&D dept.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Oh poo poo I looked and their last credit is making Destiny, what a horrible way to go out :(

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
please don't remind me Radical and Pandemic are dead tia

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

SUNKOS posted:

Oh poo poo I looked and their last credit is making Destiny, what a horrible way to go out :(

I mean if we're talking the first one that's not really that bad, Destiny 1 is a perfectly fine game

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I don’t get the hate boner everyone has for Destiny. It looks and feels great, 60fps, has a ton to do that’s free, loving coop pve, insane raid mmo poo poo if your brain is super broken, and lots of pvp.

People always bring up gated content from the past but there’s so much current stuff, who wants to replay old strikes that won’t give you any good gear anyway? Or does everyone really miss the dinklage companion?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

I don’t get the hate boner everyone has for Destiny. It looks and feels great, 60fps, has a ton to do that’s free, loving coop pve, insane raid mmo poo poo if your brain is super broken, and lots of pvp.

People always bring up gated content from the past but there’s so much current stuff, who wants to replay old strikes that won’t give you any good gear anyway? Or does everyone really miss the dinklage companion?

it’s boring

DR AIDS
Nov 4, 2008

No shits will be given

The No Man's Sky of first person shooters, tons to do, but hard to give a poo poo about any of it.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
What goon gaming discord should I go to for Goat Simulator 3 multiplayer.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

DR AIDS posted:

The No Man's Sky of first person shooters, tons to do, but hard to give a poo poo about any of it.

That applies to all video games, really.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Sandepande posted:

That applies to all video games, really.

I would die for Midnight Sun's Blade.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Midnight Suns ruled. I would like some more DLCs on that. Great game for the steam deck too

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

priznat posted:

Midnight Suns ruled. I would like some more DLCs on that. Great game for the steam deck too

I thought everyone hated midnight suns. Did I mix it up with the Gotham knights?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I think the people complaining about it have no friends. It’s a fun game to play with your buds, it runs on basically anything and has cross play and you can shoot aliens. And it’s free. Good stuff.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

People always bring up gated content from the past but there’s so much current stuff, who wants to replay old strikes that won’t give you any good gear anyway?
if we're really judging supposedly narrative content by the rarity of the items it leaves you with (they're not real! the time you spend with the game is real!) they could change that very easily

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
You're actually allowed to like or not like Destiny (either one) just like you can like or dislike Final Fantasy whichever, or Baldur's Gate 3, or Control, or Vampire Survivors, etc.

There's bad games which are broken buggy and have mechanics that aren't thought out or just don't work, blah blah blah, but 90% of games people are going to like or not like a game just because it is or isn't their thing. It's like going "I can't believe you hate/love basketball, how could you?" Doesn't make a luck of sense.

But also please point and laugh at bungie rigjt now because lol and even lmao

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

otter posted:

I thought everyone hated midnight suns. Did I mix it up with the Gotham knights?

You did.

Although it maybe was not the hardcore xcom sequel people may have wanted. Also, the ratio of gameplay to hanging out with your superhero buds is a little off for some folks.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
The way you know games are art is they've finally become a medium diverse enough to support communities of snobs and slop eaters alike. Not real sure when it happened, but people making the distinction in their personal assessments between good and bad taste with games feels to be a relatively new thing. And I think that's been magnified this year where so much quality stuff has come out that all caters to very different kinds of people. We have come a long way from Ebert's blanket dismissal of games as an art form lol.

I bought Midnight Suns and want to like it but my God the writing grates. It's one of those things I'm willing to tolerate because of the team behind it. It's so genuinely novel as a combination of elements in one game that I'll tolerate it when I get around to digging in, but I'd wager that particular combination, plus the writing, plus Marvel fatigue really hurt its prospects longer term.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Games aren’t art

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Games aren’t art

Games are fart

Some are even shart

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
This is also true lol

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I played about ~45 mins of BG3 (got past the opening ship part and a little more) and I think I'm gonna refund it. I can see its a big complex game and all that but ultimately I'm not really a fan of the setting and more importantly, dealing with the radial menus on controller is not fun. Can't see myself wanting to deal with that for 100 hours or however long people say the game is. Oh yeah, I also saw a thread on bg3 on xbox praising it and one of the guys was like, "the game ate all my saves and I can't get them back, seems to be a common problem on xbox, but its an incredible game!" dont feel like dealing with that possibly either. Don't really see how this thing is a 96 GOTY but whatever, it was a good year for games anyways.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 10, 2023

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

unattended spaghetti posted:

We have come a long way from Ebert's blanket dismissal of games as an art form lol.
Academia has accepted video games as a medium for art in the 70s, which is obvious because loving chairs are art. Ebert said he's never seen a game he'd consider high art (which is, of course, highly subjective) and in response was linked countless interactive equivalents of the summer blockbuster.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Ruffian Price posted:

Academia has accepted video games as a medium for art in the 70s, which is obvious because loving chairs are art. Ebert said he's never seen a game he'd consider high art (which is, of course, highly subjective) and in response was linked countless interactive equivalents of the summer blockbuster.

If only he'd lived long enough to see Elden Ring

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I was wondering why Balder's Gate 3 did so well and Midnight Suns bombed when you consider they have a lot of similarities. Before I even finished the thought I realized you can't gently caress your teammates in MS. Any game that lets you have sex with Tony Stark would sell a billion copies.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I absolutely adore poo poo like Goat Simulator where it's basically just the fun grindy- parts of open world games with no pretense.

A.) What are some other games like that? "just do dumb fun poo poo"

B.) The quests are a bit weird... often lacking a description of, say, what to actually do? "Clear the area of trash!" ... uh... ok... how? What?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Seltzer posted:

I played about ~45 mins of BG3 (got past the opening ship part and a little more) and I think I'm gonna refund it. I can see its a big complex game and all that but ultimately I'm not really a fan of the setting and more importantly, dealing with the radial menus on controller is not fun. Can't see myself wanting to deal with that for 100 hours or however long people say the game is. Oh yeah, I also saw a thread on bg3 on xbox praising it and one of the guys was like, "the game ate all my saves and I can't get them back, seems to be a common problem on xbox, but its an incredible game!" dont feel like dealing with that possibly either. Don't really see how this thing is a 96 GOTY but whatever, it was a good year for games anyways.

Refund it to my xbox, tia

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Seltzer posted:

Human plays game for forty five minutes and declares it eh. Film at 11 lol.

But for real sorry it wasn't to your taste.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I've got $100 in Amazon gift card cash and apparently you're not able to use Amazon gift cards on Xbox gift cards anymore. I was gonna get BG3 >:c

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

1glitch0 posted:

Refund it to my xbox, tia
Poor rear end

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

American McGay posted:

Poor rear end

Yup!

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Yikes if you're not poor in 2023

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Seltzer posted:

Sounds like a skill issue

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

kri kri posted:

Sounds like a skill issue

There are apparently a lot of great shortcuts and QOL stuff for controller that are never explained in tutorials, so yeah, pretty much. Larian probably should have better explained a lot of the time saving/shortcut features unique to the controller. There was some goon in the BG3 thread that had a little bit of an explainer about things for controller players with stuff like that, most people say the controller version plays remarkably well so I can only assume they have gotten the hang of those things.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Isn't everything you can do on the controller listed in the controller tab in settings? Unless there's some konami code stuff I'm missing. Beyond that it's just exploring context menus to get a sense of all that you can do. The controls are awkward but they're all laid out for you, just a matter of getting used to them. I was pretty much fine with everything by my second combat encounter. The action radial menus are starting to pile up now that I'm getting up in levels, but they're still quick and easy to navigate. The only thing I'm missing is the ability to go up/down floors in the overhead tactical view. If I want to like fly from the ground to a roof that's hidden because it would occlude the people inside the building, it's always a chore to get it to show up on the camera. Pretty sure you can do that more easily on mkb.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

~Coxy posted:

I'm pretty sure you can install Title Updates over a USB stick.

Of course, to actually get them you will probably need to find shady pirate sites.

I'm pretty sure that the store is a separate thing than delivering patches.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

American McGay posted:

Poor rear end

Look at American "Big Pockets" McGay here.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

acksplode posted:

Isn't everything you can do on the controller listed in the controller tab in settings? Unless there's some konami code stuff I'm missing. Beyond that it's just exploring context menus to get a sense of all that you can do. The controls are awkward but they're all laid out for you, just a matter of getting used to them. I was pretty much fine with everything by my second combat encounter. The action radial menus are starting to pile up now that I'm getting up in levels, but they're still quick and easy to navigate. The only thing I'm missing is the ability to go up/down floors in the overhead tactical view. If I want to like fly from the ground to a roof that's hidden because it would occlude the people inside the building, it's always a chore to get it to show up on the camera. Pretty sure you can do that more easily on mkb.

I mean you expect a console player to go into settings??? When i play games on my xbox they might as well not have menus, better tell me everything I need to know in the tutorial.

I will say playing on PC with m/kb, it is not at all easier for me to navigate floor to floor and the terrible camera limitations are probably my #1 complaint with the game. I know there are mods that improve it but I prefer playing unmodded.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Professor Beetus posted:

I will say playing on PC with m/kb, it is not at all easier for me to navigate floor to floor and the terrible camera limitations are probably my #1 complaint with the game. I know there are mods that improve it but I prefer playing unmodded.

Wtf I really can't believe that's totally missing. They gotta patch that in eventually, pretty important for a 3d tactical combat game imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Baldur's Gate 3 seems like a nice game to get during a sale next year. Game Pass has given me too much of a backlog, buying games to only put them on the backlog seems silly.

I'm going to play Far Cry 6 next week when it's out on GP. And I will enjoy it! Or I will not, who knows!