Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Reminded of that part in Eisenhorn where he and his elite human squad see a single chaos marine moving towards them, and Eisenhorn's first thought is a very calm (paraphrasing) "Me and my squad are going to die in the next couple of seconds but I can warn the other squads about this" and then while he is getting on his vox/radio or whatever, a loyalist space marine bursts in and tackles the chaos one at like super speed.

Well that's just common sense since spotting a space marine is like spotting a walking tank complete with either a giant sword, assault cannon or if you're really unlucky, psychic powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Argenta just cemeted her role as Worst Companion Imaginable when I chose the Dogmatic option to let her act during a Chapter 2 event to deal with Idira in the ship's Macrocannon Hold.

She shot and permanently killed Idira, who has been my most useful combat companion by a mile :stare:

That's the last time I'm letting one of these weird zealots do anything at all, and the last time I'm choosing a Dogmatic action :colbert:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 10, 2023

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

deep dish peat moss posted:

Argenta just cemeted her role as Worst Companion Imaginable when I chose the Dogmatic option to let her act during a Chapter 2 event to deal with Idira in the ship's Macrocannon Hold.

She shot and permanently killed Idira, who has been my most useful combat companion by a mile :stare:

That's the last time I'm letting one of these weird zealots do anything at all, and the last time I'm choosing a Dogmatic action :colbert:

Weird fascist zealot or Sole Correct Defenders of Humanity ?

I'm just saying, there are two sides*

* (one of them is nazis)

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Kobal2 posted:

Weird fascist zealot or Sole Correct Defenders of Humanity ?

I'm just saying, there are two sides*

* (one of them is nazis)

This turn of events has convinced me that this Emperor fuckin' sucks and I'm going full-on heretic from here on out :colbert:

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
How is difficulty in this game set up. Is it like Pathfinder where you can just randomly stumble into a combat/quest you're woefully unprepared to handle? I've just finished Janus and have been doing a bunch of exploring and sidequests and all of a sudden I'm running into void combat scenarios I can't possibly win because I don't have the required firepower, small single-map sidequests where I get completely obliterated by turrets before I can even get a hit in, and random awareness skillchecks that are at like -50.

I tried going back to the main quest and landing on Kiava Gamma, since the game subtly pushes you to do that after Janus, only to get obliterated by enemies who can now throw three krak grenades in a row and take out two of my guys in a single turn. I'm starting to wonder if they actually implemented some kind of scaling difficulty system and my level 25 characters are just very poorly optimized to deal with it, even though I absolutely blasted my way through Janus without trouble.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

evilmiera posted:

Well that's just common sense since spotting a space marine is like spotting a walking tank complete with either a giant sword, assault cannon or if you're really unlucky, psychic powers.

Well that's the truly horrifying thing about astartes: the walking talk analogy doesn't account for the fact that they move incredibly fast, so fast people describe them as looking straight up wrong compared to their size and heft.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

just tried mutiplayer and was plagued with desyncs :/ the faq in the steam board says they're addressing issues with it so hopefully a patch comes soon

grobbo
May 29, 2014

IMO the worst companion is absolutely Heinrix, a giant narc with Anomen levels of smug self-seriousness who keeps telling you to show no mercy to those touched by the Warp then he goes off and voluntarily reads a spooky Warp computer and summons a bunch of daemons without apology! I don't see you volunteering to Exterminatus yourself, Heinie?

And then there's Jae, who's just sort of there, being vaguely exotic and stealing things. Yeah, yeah, keep the gifts coming, weirdo.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Bussamove posted:

I also let the rabble in the lower decks try and police themselves and all the upper crust got mad at me about it. Suck it, nerds, Iconoclast4lyfe.

You did the prison planet and then put the dregs in charge of the lower deck?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Make sure you open your ship window periodically, It's not good at telling you when your crew leveled up. Also unless I missed a tutorial it doesn't tell you to put crew in stations so check that poo poo out.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

This turn of events has convinced me that this Emperor fuckin' sucks and I'm going full-on heretic from here on out :colbert:

Well yeah, a heretic would sympathize with somebody getting drunk and summonging demons.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

I like how the way warp travel messes with time is a key part of some characters' backstories. Namely for Argenta. She showed up decades late, the people who were supposed to meet her were dead and her mission was taken over by someone else. The local priests were like "gently caress it I dunno find something else to keep you busy lady" and she has a breakdown from not being able to cope with having no one to tell her what to do. I'm gutted my companion mission for her has broken because it's a really cool background for someone like her and I'd love to see it explored further.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I think once someone gets sad and summons a demon that gets multiple people killed it is not too unreasonable to make it so they can’t do that anymore.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Reminded of that part in Eisenhorn where he and his elite human squad see a single chaos marine moving towards them, and Eisenhorn's first thought is a very calm (paraphrasing) "Me and my squad are going to die in the next couple of seconds but I can warn the other squads about this" and then while he is getting on his vox/radio or whatever, a loyalist space marine bursts in and tackles the chaos one at like super speed.

'fell on him like the wrath of the Emperor', to quote the extremely 40k inflected Gideon the Ninth

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Bussamove posted:

I also let the rabble in the lower decks try and police themselves and all the upper crust got mad at me about it. Suck it, nerds, Iconoclast4lyfe.

I kinda wish I resolved it that way. Instead I Talked them down from being armed. Abe was pissed I wasted my time with this.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

You did the prison planet and then put the dregs in charge of the lower deck?

The prison planet where when I got there the warden had fallen to Chaos and was experimenting on the inmates and his closest friend? Sure fuckin’ did.

I did not, however, give them guns. If anything it made my life easier because now one of the clans hates the two who agreed to my terms.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

I'm doing a heresy playthrough and sometimes I do the iconoclast option because I'm low key hoping to cause a cult to break out on my ship.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

This game really wants me to flirt with Cassia but the only thing I want out of her is to make enemies adjacent to my Thunder Hammer run away so I get free opportunity attacks

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

This game really wants me to flirt with Cassia but the only thing I want out of her is to make enemies adjacent to my Thunder Hammer run away so I get free opportunity attacks

Flag progression is bugged apaprently

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Okay so I looked away and suddenly this thread had 800 unread posts which is usually a pretty good sign for a game that's just been released. What's the consensus view on release? Is this is a classic Owlbear 'wait a few months for them to patch it up?' case?

Is character building forgiving or are they once again balancing for optimisation?

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Alchenar posted:

Okay so I looked away and suddenly this thread had 800 unread posts which is usually a pretty good sign for a game that's just been released. What's the consensus view on release? Is this is a classic Owlbear 'wait a few months for them to patch it up?' case?

Is character building forgiving or are they once again balancing for optimisation?

The only bug I’ve encountered so far is a heroic moment that glitched out and prevented me from ending my turn; all I lost was about 5 minutes of one combat. I guess the bounty hunter ultimate couldn’t figure out which prey to shoot or something.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Alchenar posted:

Character progression is more confusing than anything so far, but there’s also the ability to respec once you get your feet under you. You can’t redo origin/archetype/homeworld but you can redo all your leveling progress.

I haven’t run into any major bugs yet but others have so grain of salt there.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Buschmaki posted:

Who else is goin Chaos (the good guys) for their first playthrough?

you want Iconoclast, Chaos in the game is explicitly about making things worse for fun and Profit Factor

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

... ok, there are THREE sides.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Sab669 posted:

I kinda wish I resolved it that way. Instead I Talked them down from being armed. Abe was pissed I wasted my time with this.

I mean, I would have sided their way *personally*, on account of rah-rah maximum anarchy.

But also in this game *I* am capitalism, or else the game ends (like literally - there's a non-standard game over if you insist on not being the Rogue Trader).
I could be boot-to-the-face capital, I could be lenient-socdem capital, but at the end of the day I'm some random fucko with a hereditary title to Maximum Power. But just trust me, you guys ! Shut the gently caress up and let me work within the System ! I swear it's gonna be great for everyone this time. Cause I'm different. Unlike those elites, I'm one of y'all. I understand your pains.

Just grin and bear it a little more. Now is not the time.

Kobal2 fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Dec 10, 2023

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Bussamove posted:

Okay yeah Cassia loving slaps when you get more Navigator powers on her and use the Guardian staff. Just endlessly stacking buffs for someone (usually Abelard) and endlessly stacking willpower for her. Most of the companions so far seem quite good in their own right, though I’m only done with two of the areas in the first system so I don’t have them all— the worst is Argenta but she’s more feast or famine than anything. When her burst fire hits it obliterates poo poo, but when only one or two do she feels anemic. Hoping there’s some talents I haven’t noticed yet to help with that, or that I get access to some different weapons soon.

The game is just continuing the long, storied tradition of 40k games somehow making bolters feel awful to use. :v:

You need the ability that makes burst fire fire a bunch more shots and then the one that removes the damage penalty from rapid fire, and bolter weapon expert for the additional penetration.

You're going to miss its how burst fire works in this game but the point is to pump out enough bullets that it doesn't really matter. She's capable of clearing out entire groups on her own especially with officers giving her extra turns.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

which path are you on? if you've already committed keep pursuing that path because the best rewards are at the end and dabblers do not get rewarded

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Bussamove posted:

Character progression is more confusing than anything so far, but there’s also the ability to respec once you get your feet under you. You can’t redo origin/archetype/homeworld but you can redo all your leveling progress.

I haven’t run into any major bugs yet but others have so grain of salt there.

It's worth pointing out that the cost of respeccing in this game is pretty drat punishing compared to other CRPGs because of the way Profit Factor works compared to the way currency works in most games. I've been using the Toybox mod to recoup any Profit Factor lost on respecs.

Relevant Tangent posted:

which path are you on? if you've already committed keep pursuing that path because the best rewards are at the end and dabblers do not get rewarded

I've been doing a mix of Iconoclast and Dogmatic so far but I'm just going to stick to Iconoclast from here on out. And Heretic whenever it's not just "kill this person for fun" and more like "stick it to the imperium" :colbert:

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

How does dual wielding work in the game? If I equip another sword in Abelard's off-hand, it it just another weapon in my hand? Does it penalize attacks with my main weapon?

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Relevant Tangent posted:

you want Iconoclast, Chaos in the game is explicitly about making things worse for fun and Profit Factor

The guy working within the framework of the Imperium, but just "nicer", is NOT good.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Bussamove posted:

The prison planet where when I got there the warden had fallen to Chaos and was experimenting on the inmates and his closest friend? Sure fuckin’ did.

I did not, however, give them guns. If anything it made my life easier because now one of the clans hates the two who agreed to my terms.

You're clearly making things worse!

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Black Griffon posted:

How does dual wielding work in the game? If I equip another sword in Abelard's off-hand, it it just another weapon in my hand? Does it penalize attacks with my main weapon?

There’s a talent to let you make attacks with your off-hand in the same round as using another weapon, at a penalty. Otherwise it’s just another option to have at your disposal.

Arglebargle III posted:

You're clearly making things worse!

Yeah it’s the 41st Millennium, no one makes things better

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Black Griffon posted:

As far as I can tell - there is no “off-hand?” Each weapon gives you a couple of attack abilities independently of one another. Dual Wielding the talent just lets you break “one attack per turn” by using one ability from each weapon, at the cost of the second one costing more and having a skill penalty?

So far I’ve only been using the talent on Pasqal because he slings a 2h in each “hand,” so I hadn’t actually considered just using two swords. There’s enough ways to get extra attacks out of soldiers and warriors (that also let you use both weapons) that I think the talent only helps for officers/operators.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
My Iconoclast is a Noble so I'm playing them as someone who has completely bought into a noblesse oblige thing, helped by the fact you can literally just tell Cassia "nobles should be responsible for the welfare of their people" after she suggests de-tonguing every servant on the bridge. I'll have Abelard announce me to randos but to anyone I want a closer interaction with I'll be directly personable.

For the Depot 4 thing I agreed to stopping the punishments but not to letting them self-govern because having a part of your massive spaceship that is completely detached from the command structure and also armed seems like a really bad idea.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Theyre already basically detached from the command structure, in a properly functioning voidship the various decks regularly wage war on each other

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Relevant Tangent posted:

Inquisitor spotted
(the Juventus Ministerium branch, obvs. "Hey, kids, you know who else also at one time resented their parent for perceived injustice ? AND GOT A BOLT TO THE loving FACE OVER IT ?")

Kobal2 fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 10, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Buschmaki posted:

The guy working within the framework of the Imperium, but just "nicer", is NOT good.

The Iconoclast options are definitely not all operating within the framework of the imperium. One example is on Janus, an Iconoclast can hand the planet over to the Aeldari to prevent further bloodshed. A lot of Iconoclast options are basically "gently caress the space police", whereas the Heretic options are generally "slaughter people because you love to see suffering". Which arguably isn't exactly entirely in line with 40k lore, because most of the iconoclast options are pretty heretical. "Heretic" options are just plain aligning yourself with the chaos gods, not necessarily going against the whims of the Imperium.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Dec 10, 2023

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Bussamove posted:

There’s a talent to let you make attacks with your off-hand in the same round as using another weapon, at a penalty. Otherwise it’s just another option to have at your disposal.

CommunityEdition posted:

As far as I can tell - there is no “off-hand?” Each weapon gives you a couple of attack abilities independently of one another. Dual Wielding the talent just lets you break “one attack per turn” by using one ability from each weapon, at the cost of the second one costing more and having a skill penalty?

So far I’ve only been using the talent on Pasqal because he slings a 2h in each “hand,” so I hadn’t actually considered just using two swords. There’s enough ways to get extra attacks out of soldiers and warriors (that also let you use both weapons) that I think the talent only helps for officers/operators.

Got it. If I have the skill, if I there's something useful on both weapons or if it looks cool it is.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kobal2 posted:

Inquisitor spotted
(the Juventus Ministerium branch, obvs. "Hey, kids, you know who else also at one time resented their parent for perceived injustice ? AND GOT A BOLT TO THE loving FACE OVER IT ?")

Every Inquisitor thinks Chaos is about making things worse for fun and profit. The only difference between the factions is whether they think that's a good idea or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Yeah if you really want to get down to it any option not Dogmatic is either Heretical or Diet Heresy With Half the Calories because of what an awful, stagnant theocracy the Imperium is. You just get to get way with it and not have Argenta put a bolter round in you because you’re a Rogue Trader and that Warrant carries a lot of weight.