Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Precambrian Video Games posted:

They tried this in Europe and thousands perished in deathtraps like these:

hosed up image. each of those doors leads to a l*xury condo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
people die from falls to the floor. there need to be two stairwells in each living room.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Tighclops posted:

[canada] do you have stairs in your house

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

CLAM DOWN posted:

ah yes, the twin towers, a great example of a four floor apartment building with one stairwell

Jet fuel can't melt a second stairwell

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

I live in a cupboard under the second stairwell

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
*luxury cupboard

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Virtual Russian posted:

I'm an artist, so I encounter a ton of tiny home enthusiasts, the art scene is lousy with those people. I will never understand the appeal. It is just an objectively worse trailer home. They cost almost as much (I know it is cheaper, but if you can't afford a trailer home you aren't affording a tiny house), and you still have to plunk it down on existing land. The result is just even less dense housing. They exist purely on vibes, I've never ever heard from someone that actually lives in one, because I assume almost no one does. I highly doubt anyone that lives in one on Instagram really just uses it for anything more than a cottage. Likely just renting it or something for their insta.

Also again, they have to go on land, which is going to cost you more than the tiny home, so you may as well go a little further and put a trailer home on that parcel.

tiny homes are often used to dodge property taxes (see also: full time rv living and vanlife). cant do that with a trailer home.

also theres a classist element to it too

for artists specifically the more serious ones may also appreciate the diy parts or be employed by others to help with customization and aesthetics

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

So how about that genocide we're supporting?

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

MonsieurChoc posted:

You're going to have to be more specific

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Wow the PM really putting Premier Eby on blast here over the single stairway proposal.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

MonsieurChoc posted:

Based off the replies, the covid vaccines already killed us

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

waiting to die of the vax. any day now. please?

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
the free market will decide how many stairwells are needed. if people demand egress from their homes they can vote with their wallet

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
housing plan
lisa needs staircase

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Surely height isn't the only consideration in the code for how many stairwells you need? If you make a building 4 stories high but a mile long you don't get to have only one or two stairwells.

I lived in an 4 story building in BC with 16 units per floor that had 3 stairwells, an elevator, and a firewall. Surely that third stairwell wasn't there just out of kindness, it was required to be there due to the length of the building?

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
we need to cut red tape and allow more people to choose to pay less rent in exchange for the odd chance they might die in a fire

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Facebook Aunt posted:

Surely height isn't the only consideration in the code for how many stairwells you need? If you make a building 4 stories high but a mile long you don't get to have only one or two stairwells.

I lived in an 4 story building in BC with 16 units per floor that had 3 stairwells, an elevator, and a firewall. Surely that third stairwell wasn't there just out of kindness, it was required to be there due to the length of the building?

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

This is unacceptable erasure of Asbestos, Quebec

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
Oh my God they voted to change the name to Val des Sources in 2020 what the gently caress

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

RBC posted:

we need to cut red tape and allow more people to choose to pay less rent in exchange for the odd chance they might die in a fire

The thing is, we know this part won't actually happen. The developers will pocket the difference, and then profit by building units in the space that would otherwise be taken up by a stairwell, and that's why this whole charade is so tiring.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
lol at several posts above

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

Facebook Aunt posted:

This is mostly in part three of the building code with some stuff in the fire code. There's a bunch of overlapping requirements, so yes. Travel distance is one of them which was likely your thing.

Even with this requirement they're talking about, it wouldn't likely be a deletion of the requirement (although it could be). It would likely be the creation of two options in one of the allowable systems tables. One would have a single set of exit stairs with some additional requirements (likely sprinkler and fire seperation rating related and maybe firefighting access related) and another option that's similar to the current status quo.

I haven't read the actual proposal though. Presumably it's just directing the code guys to implement some general thing.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

Travel distance to an exit. If the floorplate gets to a certain size beyond permissible travel distance (such as a unit's front door to the closest existing exit), then you gotta slam in another staircase.

Loving the new Stairs Megathread content.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Hubbert posted:

Travel distance to an exit. If the floorplate gets to a certain size beyond permissible travel distance (such as a unit's front door to the closest existing exit), then you gotta slam in another staircase.

Loving the new Stairs Megathread content.

Canada is boring. Stairs are the new hotness.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

Oh? You have multiple stairs in your multi-family building?

As a proud owner of a l*xury condo, I don't need anything else except a property ladder. :smug:

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

Having two staircases takes up too much space for a small apartment? I have the solution:

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

The time is ripe for the introduction of the trudeauvka

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Ansar Santa posted:

Having two staircases takes up too much space for a small apartment? I have the solution:

Hell yeah.

It seems like all my life folks have been mocking the ugly soviet tenement blocks as a gotcha about how bad communism is, but man these days everybody who needs one getting an ugly apartment looks pretty good.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

A vote for Bart is a vote for more stairs

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

Facebook Aunt posted:

Hell yeah.

It seems like all my life folks have been mocking the ugly soviet tenement blocks as a gotcha about how bad communism is, but man these days everybody who needs one getting an ugly apartment looks pretty good.

And the pictures they use are invariably in winter, with all the trees leafless and no colours anywhere but white and grey. Also, the pictures are also always ones taken after years of post-soviet negligence, but before russia started to recover

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Facebook Aunt posted:

Hell yeah.

yeah i'd happily move into one of those if it was offered to me as social housing

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
We've installed another stairwell in this girl's apartment
You WON'T BELIEVE what happens next

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Facebook Aunt posted:

Hell yeah.

But one ugly apartment building in the visible radius of an ordinary lowrise condo will make its value go down. Think of the poor Canadian middle-class homeowners, and especially those poor Canadian middle-class multiple-homeowners who would be getting hit hardest.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
they have so much more to lose!

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

and we have the dna results here to determine once and for all which staircase is the father

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

its too bad we dont have a libertarian poster to tell us that building codes are tyranny and actually it would be better if there were only one staircase is 6+ story buildings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Karach posted:

We've installed another stairwell in this girl's apartment
You WON'T BELIEVE what happens next

myapartment.pk3