Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Air Skwirl posted:

Whatever idiocy Isiah Thomas was responding to was deleted.

I'm guessing it was some version of this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yep/

https://twitter.com/smod4real/status/1733503405166096853

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

This isn't the first AI they've tried this with and they're using the exact same scenario. They should consider adding a Christian baby.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
LMAO Elon is frantically pushing Grok's destruct button but just like his rocket, he will have to wait for it to blow up by itself

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Rejected by another one of his children

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

:lmao:

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Milo and POTUS posted:

drat

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Milo and POTUS posted:

:holymoley:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Grok is the reverse Tay?

Elon is out there, banging his head against the wall, "why can't you just FORCE it to say the n-word? Just this once?"

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

"regular AI is too woke, we need our own Free Speech AI" - Elon

"That'll cost a lot of time and money" - engineers and developers

"gently caress that, you got $5k and a few weeks" - Elon

*Elon leaves the room*

"So...just rip off OpenAI? Except that would still be 'woke' and piss off the boss...'"

"sounds good! We'll tell him it took weeks and work on our resumes in the meanwhile"

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

https://twitter.com/PNACstreetgang/status/1733708116523462794

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

That map isn’t true at all. Nobody in Michigan calls anything soda except soda water.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Dr. Lunchables posted:

That map isn’t true at all. Nobody in Michigan calls anything soda except soda water.

Not since I moved away

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
if it's a veiled palestine reference it's coming from an extremely weird source, what appears to be an unironic PNAC center right fan account

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

if it's a veiled palestine reference it's coming from an extremely weird source, what appears to be an unironic PNAC center right fan account

I think it’s just a regressive moron clinging to every single minor cultural choice as if it’s a hill to die on, probably with a collection of ‘classic’ land-o-lakes butter in his freezer.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Where does Palestine fall on the soda/pop question? What role is Hamas playing in spreading subversive pop propaganda?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Fatah endorses RC Cola, Hamas are Mountain Dew guys because they are gamers

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Grassy Knowles posted:

I think it’s just a regressive moron clinging to every single minor cultural choice as if it’s a hill to die on, probably with a collection of ‘classic’ land-o-lakes butter in his freezer.

I’m part of the Pop Liberation Organization. We’re issuing a fatwa against all Soda enjoyers. Dont even speak to us of the Coke infidels.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Biplane posted:

Where does Palestine fall on the soda/pop question? What role is Hamas playing in spreading subversive pop propaganda?

Come on dude. Popoganda. It was right there.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Come on dude. Popoganda. It was right there.

Low hanging fruit my friend. Real gamers rise above it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Biplane posted:

Real gamers rise above it.

Most ridiculous statement in this, the twitter thread

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

I very much don’t believe that, I live in the southern central part of Ohio that is apparently in the soda belt here but it’s 100% pop land anywhere remotely near here

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

They also managed to include the Virginia part of the Delmarva peninsula but left the entire keweenaw peninsula off the map. Somehow this unsourced, uncredited map posted on Twitter.com does not seem official.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

The only map I'm aware of is from 2003, but it looks a lot closer to the 1947 map than the 2023 map.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Pop, soda, whatever, don't care, but who the gently caress says "coke" as a generic term? That's explicitly short for coca cola. What.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Phosphine posted:

Pop, soda, whatever, don't care, but who the gently caress says "coke" as a generic term? That's explicitly short for coca cola. What.

I also find this new map inaccurate for every county I’ve ever lived in, so who knows 🤷🏽‍♂️

Maybe they did their surveys in niche places or maybe I’m the weirdo

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Phosphine posted:

Clearly a large percentage of the south does

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Freaquency posted:

Clearly a large percentage of the south does

They really don't and it's a weird stereotype I've never understood. I grew up in the sticks, an hour outside of Atlanta, and I have never once met someone who calls any soda "Coke". Everyone usually just uses the actual name of the drink they're referring to.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Soysaucebeast posted:

The only map I'm aware of is from 2003, but it looks a lot closer to the 1947 map than the 2023 map.

You can tell this graph is bullshit because there is no way they got statistically significant data from the counties in Texas where the population is 5 people and a dog even beyond the areas marked with 'no data'.

Moreover, I have never, to my lived experience has anybody call it anything other than 'Soda' in Texas.

Sardonik has a new favorite as of 22:48 on Dec 10, 2023

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Sardonik posted:

Moreover, I have never, to my lived experience has anybody call it anything other than 'Soda' in Texas.

:texas::mods:

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

They really don't and it's a weird stereotype I've never understood. I grew up in the sticks, an hour outside of Atlanta, and I have never once met someone who calls any soda "Coke". Everyone usually just uses the actual name of the drink they're referring to.

I grew up in Eastern NC and heard it quite a bit :shrug:

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

I used to hear ‘coke’ a lot more as a generic term as a bartender/cocktailer in the early 2000s, often from older Southern folks, than now. One of the few ways I credit the internet as a positive is my entirely unsubstantiated belief in it reducing this trend. I’ll draw some map or chart with my assumptions as data points later to make it factual.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

I feel like it has maybe waned a bit lately but my experience growing up in Texas has absolutely been the "There are cokes in the fridge! [the fridge has dr. pepper and sprite]" one.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Friend posted:

I feel like it has maybe waned a bit lately but my experience growing up in Texas has absolutely been the "There are cokes in the fridge! [the fridge has dr. pepper and sprite]" one.

I will make a dot in Texas for your refrigerator

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Freaquency posted:

I grew up in Eastern NC and heard it quite a bit :shrug:

Weird

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i remember coke being used as a generic word when i was a kid but i haven't heard anyone doing it recently.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

From Arkansas, can confirm its mostly "coke" that I heard. If you want an actual Coca Cola, the response to "what kinda coke" is "coke cola."

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I was not born or raised anywhere in the US and I can confirm everyone in the US is saying soda.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
"Soda pop", "fizzies", "soft drink", "bubble juice", "evil juice", "spicy water" and "sparkling cordial" are all terms I've heard from multiple people, of varying degrees of genuineness.

I absolutely use "spicy water" since I heard a 3 year old say it cause I think it's hilariou, especially when I am drinking soda water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

i grew up in virginia and said "coke" as generic term for soda when i was a kid.

it's just a brand name as a generic term like how "podcast" suddenly means "any spoken audio you get over internet." if you're out an order a coke they say "what kind."

i stopped when i moved to california not because i care but because i don't actually like coke that much and would be like "oh gently caress they actually brought me a coke lol"