Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

repiv posted:

amd fanboys :argh:

unironically it is very aggravating how many AMD fanboys don't think of themselves as fanboys, "there's two sides to everything and I'm sitting right in the middle!" mf'ers, memory-bus bandwagoners (buy a 6600XT instead!), "4090 is gonna be 900W TGP" delusionals, DLSS haters, “nvidia is gonna leave graphics/gaming!” hopefuls, etc

there is constant rabblerousing from the AMD fanclub and it's generally taken up by an uncritical and receptive public until eventually vanishing in a puff of nonsense, followed shortly by the start of the next murmur-campaign.

it ain't called "green gaming tech", right? there's literally a whole little micro-ecosystem around it, people build whole channels on it

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
The Secret but for realtime path tracing

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Kinda crazy how "heavy" contemporary games are these days - Rogue Trader, an isometric RPG hits my 4090's power limit by default

Turn on 70% power limit - hits 300ish watts
Turn on FSR - drops to 200ish watts
Set frame limit down from 140 to 90 - drops to 100ish watts

It's ultimately fine on desktop but as a consequence, runs hot and slow on the Steam Deck too

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
Well Paul MaudDib was a Cajun
He lived by hisself in the swamp
Hunted AMD haters for livin
Just knock em in the head with a stomp

Internet Explorer gonna get ya MaudDib
It ain't legal huntin amd haters down in the thread boy

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

shrike82 posted:

Kinda crazy how "heavy" contemporary games are these days - Rogue Trader, an isometric RPG hits my 4090's power limit by default

It's ultimately fine on desktop but as a consequence, runs hot and slow on the Steam Deck too

I should turn on DLSS for BG3 and cut down on power consumption but having a nice GPU has turned me into a pixel peeper

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
If your card can do frame generation you absolutely don’t need it for BG3 south of 4K… unless you mean capping your frame rate and DLSS3 will do half the work? Can it do that?

shrike82 posted:

Well sure if you leave a game uncapped it will use all the power it can. Having played decades at 60Hz (and many years at single-digit Hz when I overwhelmed a 386SX), I cap most games around 90Hz because I frankly don’t notice anything higher.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 9, 2023

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Inept posted:

no one gives a poo poo paul

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

I just don't understand the hyper-focus on "AMD fanboys"; yeah, we get it, r/amd sucks, but so does pretty much every other sub-reddit, just like how the MacRumors forums suck, etc.

Someone asked a genuinely innocent question, DVG already clarified it, but no, we got to circle back to the AMD Fanboy Boogeyman for shits and giggles I guess?

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)
there are always going to be AMD fanboys, because they're the best all-around computer company

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Canned Sunshine posted:

I just don't understand the hyper-focus on "AMD fanboys"; yeah, we get it, r/amd sucks, but so does pretty much every other sub-reddit, just like how the MacRumors forums suck, etc.

Someone asked a genuinely innocent question, DVG already clarified it, but no, we got to circle back to the AMD Fanboy Boogeyman for shits and giggles I guess?

Because Paul is the most tedious person in this subforum.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
People always talk about fanboys but what about the watercoolingboys

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

gradenko_2000 posted:

Adam Sandler’s scream from The Waterboy but as pump whine.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

The only worst people are SFFolk

Cantide
Jun 13, 2001
Pillbug

Animal posted:

The only worst people are SFFolk

Normally I would correct your grammar but this time it's completely accurate

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Paul MaudDib posted:

then don't post AMD fanboy wishcasting poo poo

Walls of impenetrable text must confuse the admins into not noticing that you are a gimmick poster with a ton of free time.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Mofabio posted:

there are always going to be AMD fanboys, because they're the best all-around computer company

none of the big 3 is the “best” computer company, they are all dogshit.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

An AMD fanboy carries a woman and her child through floods. Ahead, an Nvidia fanboy carries his wife's shoes. Photograph: AFP/Getty Images

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The car is Intel.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Rogue Trader runs maxed pretty good 50-60 fps at 1440p on a machine of mine with a 2060 without going apeshit but it’s on a 60hz max display so I have it capped just above :shrug:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Someone pls recheck AFMF if the frame pacing and vsync issues have gotten better

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
jensen's going to exit the consumer gpu market giving amd a full blown monopoly over it, just to spite paul, imo

and just in time, too. i only play 10+ olde games now anyway!

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

An AMD fanboy carries a woman and her child through floods. Ahead, an Nvidia fanboy carries his wife's shoes. Photograph: AFP/Getty Images

It's been a really crummy last few days, so thanks for this, it made me laugh pretty hard.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

not everyone is BRAVE enough to repost

all game some

some game all

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I haven’t unhidden the posts but I assume with three sauerkraut posts it’s gotta be good

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
are people really that mad about “stop spreading dumb AMD fanboy rumors”?

Nvidia isn’t leaving the graphics market you morons, and the quote you’re mad about is from 2013. Quit falling for the bait every single loving time, I know you think this time is different than the 27 previous times but it’s not

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

:lol:

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Paul MaudDib posted:

Nvidia isn’t leaving the graphics market you morons, and the quote you’re mad about is from 2013. Quit falling for the bait every single loving time, I know you think this time is different than the 27 previous times but it’s not

Who are you talking to? Stop making up people.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Paul MaudDib posted:

are people really that mad about “stop spreading dumb AMD fanboy rumors”?

Someone posted that they saw a rumor and the question it led them to was “should I have any hope that AMD gets its poo poo together,” and you start railing against AMD fanboys posting their hopes and dreams of Nvidia leaving the market. You’re imagining people and won’t stop posting through it. Shut the gently caress up, holy poo poo.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

I haven’t unhidden the posts but I assume with three sauerkraut posts it’s gotta be good

You know, you called me a "weirdo" once because I criticized you in the Mac thread, and yet, you keep bringing me up (while also spelling my old username wrong - I feel sorry for the actual poster called sauer kraut who is a much better poster than me), so it honestly kinda seems like you've got an unhealthy, obsessive compulsive issue with regards to me and also AMD fanboys.

Anyway, keep bringing up stuff that no-one else cares about and no-one else believes, if that's what makes you feel better in life, Paul. Godspeed.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

yall gotta relax, we are talking about toys

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

tehinternet posted:

not everyone is BRAVE enough to repost

all game some

some game all

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

If the A-series of workstation and server cards are earning Nvidia vastly more money why would Nvidia waste wafers on the Geforce series. The Nvidia Geforce line of products suffer the same issue as the Radeon products who do not make as much money as the products sold by AMD's server division.

Just like Apple, Nvidia can focus on the high-end segment and capture the most profitable part of the market and the majority of the profits. They can let Intel and AMD waste resources on selling products with vastly lower margins to the cash-starved consumers who can't afford to pay workstation and server prices for premium silicon. To try to compete in a low margin consumer product segment where Intel, AMD, and many other companies are focusing their resources during a recession/depression wouldn't be a smart move by Nvidia. They should continue to focus on making money, and not try to win arguments in the Youtube comment section.

Nvidia can return to the gaming segment in 4-6 years with more resources when the premium consumer segment has recovered and their competition has foolishly destroyed themselves by trying to gain mind share among (poor) consumers.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Jon Pod Van Damm posted:

Nvidia can return to the gaming segment in 4-6 years with more resources when the premium consumer segment has recovered and their competition has foolishly destroyed themselves by trying to gain mind share among (poor) consumers.

I don't know about the rest of your argument and frankly don't really care one way or the other, but the premium consumer segment isn't the one that is going to get hammered by a recession. The sort of people who are buying $2k graphics cards are a lot less sensitive to economic downturns than the person who is scraping pennies together and debating the merits of a $300 or $350 card.

Note that I said "less" sensitive, if there's a tech bloodbath I'm sure some mid-level computer touchers won't be looking to upgrade. But on the whole it's the person watching YT videos for budget builds who is just going to sit it out, not the person who habitually buys the latest and greatest.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I think there's reasons other than "AMD Fanboy" to support AMD. Like I honestly wish I had the opportunity to buy one of their cards other instead of my 3070ti because they have better Linux support, and all I play is FF14, WOW, Overwatch, and Fortnite (the only game with DLSS enabled.) I also think it's fine to be worried that DLSS might actually be GameWorks People Want, and that Nvidia has happened across a patented secret sauce technology that people will quickly come to need (whether it's a need or a "need" is debatable but irrelevant for these purposes.) It's fine to think that's a bad thing.

I think probably my most controversial take is "frame generation is bullshit", and that's coming from someone who is way more into AI than the Creative Class Leftists I see rapidly departing Twitter for someplace not run by a fascist. Those folks often don't like any AI development whatsoever, from Google Pixel's face filter to a text prompt generating bad steamy romance stories between Cortana and GlaDOS. I'm often pretty gung-ho about AI for those kinds of things but would rather have 30FPS actually generated by processing the game's code than 120FPS where 75% of it is Jensen's code trying to do a 240hz TV smoothing effect on my video game. Adults who refer to the Wii as "my childhood" may take to it easier than I do because they don't have the same ideas of tradition, but having been in PC gaming since having to manually assign my mouse's IRQ numbers I am going to avoid anybody benchmarking with frame generation enabled.

But that's not really an "AMD Fanboy" opinion, because I'd say the same thing if AMD wasn't so far behind in the AI department to just not have that feature. Neither company is actually my friend but at the moment AMD is slightly less hostile.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Dec 10, 2023

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

AMD rules because their chips are in the steam deck and other handhelds.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
I bought my first AMD CPU last week because the 7800X3D fucks

I’d like to give the GPUs a shot but DLSS kinda owns and RTX is pretty dope in single player games. I am pretty salty about the $1600 GPU going to $2000 rather than $1200 now though, I wanted to hold out until the price came down and lol rip me

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE
I have a friend who upgraded his GPU who is offering to get rid of his used 3070 for $250. It would have just been used for gaming, no bitcoin mining BS. Is that a decent price?

I currently have a 1070 Ti and have been itching for an upgrade but am very budget conscious right now.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

YorexTheMad posted:

I have a friend who upgraded his GPU who is offering to get rid of his used 3070 for $250. It would have just been used for gaming, no bitcoin mining BS. Is that a decent price?

I currently have a 1070 Ti and have been itching for an upgrade but am very budget conscious right now.

Yes

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

That’s a big step up for a small rear end price AND from someone you know hasn’t trashed the card? No brainer to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

YorexTheMad posted:

That's a really solid friend price.