Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

really it's easier for me to list the Godzilla movies i don't think are good:

Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla
Final Wars
all the American ones (but these don't really count)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

I think the only old godzilla movie I actually remember parts of is Mothra and the one with the sludge monster, cause man, that was some Rocky level slugfest in that one.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

FooF posted:

Now that I've reflected on -1 a bit more, my favorite scene is the minesweeper bit with Godzilla chasing. As an audience, we're unsure of Big G's capabilities at this point. All we know is that he's huge and pissed off, but kind of slow.

Over the course of this sequence, it's revealed the 15mm is completely ineffective. This seems fairly obvious but now it's proven. Next, the mines get dropped on G. The superficial, remote-detonated one does absolutely nothing, though the characters pause momentarily because they can't see through the smoke. "Did we get him?" the characters ask. As an audience, we're certain it didn't, but the pause is just long enough to think about it for a second. After all, that was a decent explosion. Then there's the mine in the mouth. There's good tension, good build up, and the hero uses that marksmen aim that was established earlier. Boom. Godzilla's side of his head is blown clean off. The audience believes for a second "Holy poo poo, they actually hurt him! They might have a chance!" and after that brief hope note, G's face instantly heals. "Holy poo poo, they don't have a chance in hell" is the immediate reaction. As the crew embrace their imminent demise, a heavy cruiser suddenly broadsides the monster. It was a clean shot and Godzilla goes down. Again, the audience is thinking "now that was a proper attack and G looked hurt." But, Godzilla roars out of the waves and begins viciously mauling the cruiser. As he's tearing it apart, you see two of the turrets slowly traverse toward the gut of Godzilla and you realize this is going to be a point blank shot from truly huge guns. Boom. Godzilla slumps off the wrecked ship and into the waves. But, the audience is savvy now: there's no way G is down for the count. The ocean glows blue, the characters on the minesweeper react as we do, "What's that...?" Boom. Complete and utter obliteration of one of humanity's strongest weapons, but not only that, we also see that Godzilla is learning. He's not going to wrestle battleships with his claws anymore. He's going to nuke them from orbit. (It's the only way to be sure.) "Holy poo poo, we're completely hosed." the audience rightfully concludes.

It's a great "show-don't-tell" moment in the film that utilizes everything it has taught us about the characters and Godzilla, but then goes further to establish the threat level. Of course, not to be outdone, Big G's goes on to make the previous scene look like a warm-up. Which it was! I think it was just a great layering of how the stakes keep getting higher and higher.

I agree, and I think it's the best sequence in the entire franchise. The fate of that ship was devastating

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Sailor Viy posted:

Went to see Minus One with my partner. It was her first Japanese Godzilla film after being a big fan of the Monsterverse films for some time. She really enjoyed it, and now I'm keen for us to watch more of the classics. So: aside from Shin Godzilla and the original, which are considered the best among the many Japanese Godzilla films? Or just good kaiju films in general? (A random guy at the dog park the other day was telling me that the 90s Gamera movies are really good...)

I'm going to say other good Godzilla films are Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla, Godzilla vs. Hedorah (which has some supremely goofy parts in it but Hedorah is a pure horror monster and the whole film has as strong of an environmental message as the original G has a message about the atom bomb), Godzilla Vs. Mothra, and if they enjoyed the sheer insanity of Godzilla vs. Kong I cannot recommend Godzilla vs. Megalon enough. It is a wild, wild ride.

mllaneza posted:

The 0s Gamera movies are not actually very good. The Gamera animes on Netflix right now are pretty drat good.

The Heisei era Gamera films (Gamera Guardian of the Universe, Gamera 2: Attack of Legion, and Gamera 3 Revenge of Iris) are the best Kaiju films of the era, even though 3 suffers from some so-so 90s CGI. They are definitely worth watching.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

yeah while I love the Heisei era Godzilla films, the Heisei era Gamera films kinda wiped the floor with them

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

The suit, model work and compositing were all amazingly well done. And the story and human characters were very Gamera.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
Yeah that 90's Gamera trilogy absolutely rules, though the third film does meander a bit. Legion and Iris are especially cool Kaiju designs. Honestly, 'Guardian of the Universe' strikes me as the weakest of the three. It's just...not as polished, I guess. Makes it feel like the director had a strong vision for the genre but was cautious to a fault.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Just learned that shin Godzilla is on Crunchyroll. Should I try to convince my friends who invited me over for board games tonight that we should watch shin Godzilla on their projector/home movie theater setup

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Yeah, on rewatching Shin, Minus one is the better movie for me because I just cannot get over the lady who speaks nearly fluent bad English.

Those are the only parts of the movie that feel amateurish, but boy howdy do they stand out compared to the rest

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

gently caress, the anime machine gun guy from Final Wars who apologized to ebirah in perfect American English because he was a vegetarian absolutely spirographed the Senator's Daughter from Shin. It made me a little embarrassed.

Desumaytah fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Dec 10, 2023

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Kith posted:

https://i.imgur.com/idnzGqu.mp4

hippo about to eat that fuckin boat

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Now that I've seen G Minus One, you've got a similar issue there; the film is so overtly about the personal trauma that you may lose sight of the literal existence of the giant dinosaur, which just kinda bluntly exists in its stupidity. Godzilla is just something for the protag to project onto. So, as well-made as the film is, it's very Hollywood-conservative in its therapeutic narrative that ends in the production of a couple - even with those final winks at its own insufficiency. More James Cameron than Ridley Scott, y'know? The absence of the Oxygen Destroyer in the narrative, along with the whole political conflict around it, is palpable.

the freon canisters are a 'sanitised' Oxygen Destroyer. that's why, as mentioned, they literally suppress Godzilla and try to force him down out of sight and out of mind. it's Japan trying to forget about the war they just fought by using civilian technology for a lethal purpose instead of military weaponry.

i also think the combination of the godzilla-scars left on noriko and godzilla himself regenerating serve as a bit more than 'final winks' in terms of expressing that the solution didn't actually work. koichi has overcome the urge to die for his country, but he hasn't overcome the urge to make those poor bastards die for theirs.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Also, this movie had probably my second favorite score in the whole Godzilla gestalt. McCreary's King of the Monsters effort is the only one that beats it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Resolution and Divine are standout tracks on the score

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fylCln00s0M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_Gn52D7EmU

Unyielding determination and utter despair in musical form.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
It’s kind wild how many people ITT are like “oh, after G Minus One, we must admit that all other Godzilla movies are for weirdos and have never been truly good until now.”

And, like, no. Godzilla’s always been popular, and probably 3/4 of the movies are just solid kino. There’s a mild barrier for entry because everything released (up ‘til very recently) has presumed some familiarity with the character, but that’s hardly insurmountable. And G-1 isn’t really much of an outlier for the series.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I don't think anyone has really been ragging on other Toho godzilla films in relation to Minus One. There is a comparison to be made with the Monsterverse flicks because of recency bias but just as many people are pointing out that they're fun and cool too.

Also some more cool news:
https://twitter.com/KaijuNewsOutlet/status/1733987761932153022

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Dec 11, 2023

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Minus One can sorta be thought of as if you took the subplot from the Heisei Vs King Ghidorah film about the old former soldier reflecting on his encounter with the Godzillasaurus back during the War who is confronted with its violent rampage in the present, and totally thematically invert it, and made a whole movie about it.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

It’s kind wild how many people ITT are like “oh, after G Minus One, we must admit that all other Godzilla movies are for weirdos and have never been truly good until now.”

I don’t agree with that. I’m not a big fan of the latter half of the Showa era (when budgets really dropped and it became a lot more kid-oriented) but there are a huge number of films throughout the history of the franchise that I love personally.

I will say though… Minus One is a legitimately good flick. Not just a good Godzilla film but a good film overall.

I’m not sure I can honestly say that about any other franchise entry except ‘54.

There are plenty of others I’d call good and great within that genre, but not overall.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Most of the Godzilla movies are not just good Godzilla movies but good movies overall.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
all godzilla movies have the subtle under tone of america has made things loving worse and now theres a giant monster

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Except for that one time it was Tywin Lannister making things worse, although the USN did deploy the Oxygen Destrpyer in that one, too.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Non Compos Mentis posted:

all godzilla movies have the subtle under tone of america has made things loving worse and now theres a giant monster

What about GMK? My memory's kinda hazy on that one, haven't watched it in a while, but how was that one America's fault? Wasn't it mostly vengeful ghosts or somesuch?

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Vengeful ghosts from WW2!

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

And, like, no. Godzilla’s always been popular, and probably 3/4 of the movies are just solid kino. There’s a mild barrier for entry because everything released (up ‘til very recently) has presumed some familiarity with the character, but that’s hardly insurmountable. And G-1 isn’t really much of an outlier for the series.

Godzilla has reached nearly the same level as Superman/Batman in the public consciousness in terms of knowing the origin story without having to tell it. The fact that G-1 didn't really delve into where the hell the giant monster came from doesn't bother me in the least. Even if you didn't know anything about the creature beforehand, what explanation could be given that makes any sense at all? A scientist spewing exposition doesn't add anything. I was mildly surprised they went with "here be dragons" but that's as good of reason as any. I think part of the terror of Godzilla is something like that exists and we didn't know it. Like, how could we not know? Yet, there it is, stomping a major city.

I'm glad the movie is doing well, though. It deserves it.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Shin Godzilla? More like good Godzilla

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Definitely love the Godzilla design in this one. I love his weird little eyes and crooked teeth and jaw that splits apart in the middle. Positively obsessed

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Granted there are still a couple of them I haven’t seen. Ebirah, and Biollante are the main ones.

But this is my top ten:

Gojira 1954
Godzilla Minus One 2023
Shin Godzilla 2016
GMK 2001
Godzilla 2014
Return of Godzilla 1984
Mothra vs Godzilla 1964
Tokyo SOS 2003
Godzilla: King of the Monsters 2019
Destroy All Monsters 1968

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

MrMojok posted:

Granted there are still a couple of them I haven’t seen. Ebirah, and Biollante are the main ones.

But this is my top ten:

Gojira 1954
Godzilla Minus One 2023
Shin Godzilla 2016
GMK 2001
Godzilla 2014
Return of Godzilla 1984
Mothra vs Godzilla 1964
Tokyo SOS 2003
Godzilla: King of the Monsters 2019
Destroy All Monsters 1968

Both Ebirah and Biollante have the interesting parallels of "intentionally apeing then-contemporary James Bond movies," so you'll like Ebirah if you want to see Dr No with Godzilla in it, and you'll like Biollante if you want to see Liscence to Kill with Godzilla in it. Obviously this is kinda reductive and not wholly accurate, but you get the idea.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I mean pre-nuke Godzilla is only marginally implausible so him being something that evolved naturally isn't that hard to believe, it's only after he gets nuked that he exhibits outright impossible physiology

Also could we please get a new thread name cause this one has been here for ages and it is loving terrible

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Kaijus and the People Who Love Them

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

Also could we please get a new thread name cause this one has been here for ages and it is loving terrible

👆👆👆

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Kaiju Megathread - You see, it's a subtle metaphor for [INSERT HUMORUS YET ACCURATE THING HERE].

I dunno, I got 2/3rds of the way there but my flu addled brain can't parse it right now.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

probably 3/4 of the movies are just solid kino. a

yes

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Most of the Godzilla movies are not just good Godzilla movies but good movies overall.

yes

Tea Party Crasher posted:

Shin Godzilla? More like good Godzilla

yes

MrMojok posted:

Return of Godzilla 1984

deserves more acknowledgement in this conversation

tbh I think my immediate visceral reaction to people ranking Minus so highly is that whole recency bias thing. it was extremely good, but it's not some ridiculous outlier to a mediocre series or anything. godzilla is great.

(except the American ones. they've got nothing for me, tho i need to go back to 98 to see how much of an artifact if its era it is)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Cinema Discusso: Godzilla Thread: Unlike Other Godzilla Movies This One Is About The Characters

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
To me, Minus One isn't an outlier in the series itself, well not a crazy one.

Minus One is however the first Toho-produced Godzilla film that I was not only able to get my family to watch despite being in Japanese, but that they actually enjoyed.

My brothers (and I) really enjoy the Monsterverse Godzilla movies for the dumb fun, but I've been the only one who embraced the Toho films.

Minus One changed that - everyone in my family liked it, and now they're willing to try some of the older ones.

It successfully built a bridge between the classic movies and audiences who have no investment in the series at all.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

Arc Hammer posted:

Cinema Discusso: Godzilla Thread: Unlike Other Godzilla Movies This One Is About The Characters

lol

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Lol

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Godzilla Megathread: (insert movie here) is genuine cinema, the others are garbage

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Godzilla Thread: Let Them Post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Godzilla Megathread: the most fun a man can have in a rubber suit