Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Jorge Bell posted:

Ronwayne, love your posts and I'm always hoping you're doing better. Maybe using terms like "neuroscience" would help differentiate what you're talking about from "mental health" which is what thehandtruck's response described (and what we're generally talking about here).

Good therapy is different from what you got. I had a really bad experience with therapists as a child and young adult but good talk therapy is specific to you as a person and gives you the space you need to process stuff like "put[ting] my needs before that of the people I loved". I'm glad you were able to get to a better place with no meds and agree that a lot of issues could be resolved that way but sometimes peoples' brains just don't give them the correct amount of chemicals, or a person's fight/flight response is way too strong in mundane situations. Meds can address those things.

The reason I wanted to reply to both of you in the same post is that you both seem to be mixing psychology/therapy with brain poo poo and I want to reinforce that those things are related but separate.

Ytlaya posted:

IMO, we probably won't see any fundamental change in our lifetimes. "Being able to directly look at someone's brain and find the cause of most mental health issues and address their physiological causes" is basically still in the realm of science fiction. The only exceptions are likely to be the few conditions that actually *do* have very direct causes, like conditions caused by specific genes or something.

It's kind of a bummer. I'll likely never know exactly what's wrong with my brain that (in my case) lead to me becoming addicted to opiates in my early 20s. I have some vague ideas - my brain has always had some weird issue where it seems to poo poo out all its dopamine at the beginning of the day and leaves me feeling bad later in the day, even before I ever touched opiates. But even if my understanding is correct, I'll never know why that's the case, much less how to address it.

Thank you Jorge, I agree and will modify terms. We need both mental support and more neuroscience to feel better. Forex, one can console someone and help them adapt when they lose an arm, and a variety of mechanical prosthesis are available, but until very recently, they couldn't just attach a new robot arm to your nervous system. I'm hoping things change for the better in my lifetime and i hope all y'all will do better as well. If nothing else, at least the internet is letting people who would ordinarily be more socially isolated connect, and sometimes, like here, its even a good thing!

Ronwayne has issued a correction as of 02:02 on Dec 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

e: never mind!!!! the moment i hit post i realised i should not

e2: for transparency's sake, i posted i was quitting therapy and then looked at the post and realised that's a terrible idea

e3: meta observation, my posting itt is never a good idea but i get compulsions to do it, and it's probably because you are all quite nice and good people who genuinely want to help others. the internet is a terrible medium for communication, but that much of a person's personality does come through. hence the mental health problems, because capitalist society grabs you by that caring instinct and grinds you down to dust.

an egg has issued a correction as of 02:03 on Dec 7, 2023

Josherino
Mar 24, 2021

an egg posted:

e2: for transparency's sake, i posted i was quitting therapy and then looked at the post and realised that's a terrible idea

e3: meta observation, my posting itt is never a good idea but i get compulsions to do it, and it's probably because you are all quite nice and good people who genuinely want to help others. the internet is a terrible medium for communication, but that much of a person's personality does come through. hence the mental health problems, because capitalist society grabs you by that caring instinct and grinds you down to dust.

I think we always appreciate transparency in this thread. Yes - there are some left and right limits regarding how we extend what we're carrying and how we engage with individual posters, but it's a pretty open and fluid space for the most part.

Taking the time to vent, share ideas or feelings, and communicate in general is always a move in a positive direction.

It sounds kind of corny or silly, but sometimes wiggling your toes in the morning is all we need to be present. This thread is all about engaging that part of your brain that you may or may not feel is in sync with the rest of your body as you move throughout your day.

I appreciate your posts, edits and all.

:justpost:

Josherino
Mar 24, 2021

Just an update on my life and my opinions on the health of this thread:

To many of the new posters in this thread - thank you. What you share here can influence others for the better. Many who lurk here may not be comfortable with sharing their experiences, and that's completely okay. This space isn't about who is making the most progress or who's the best at practicing any kind of resiliency; always know that what you carry is valid. Accountability plays a big part in recovery; some conversations may be met with opinions that make us uncomfortable...I ask that we continue to place humility and respect at the forefront of all that we do as a community.

I've been going through some significant career changes lately. I've also had the opportunity to focus more on my child while my co-parenting patience runs thin with an ex-partner who refuses to get with the program. I'm not going to lie, it's been loving brutal dealing with work and a gremlin that is starting to understand the step-parent vs. biological parent dynamic that exists between households. Navigating that has been frustrating and humbling.

What have I been doing in my time off?

I've been digging back into some gaming. Subnautica is soothing until I actually have to do something - so that's been fun. I've also reinstalled Baldur's Gate - I know I can change her.

I also went to Tokyo :japan: during Thanksgiving. I wandered neighborhoods, stayed away from tourism, and did some much-needed brewery hopping with my partner. I could finally catch a moment where I could just let it all out. Growing up in the environment I was in as a kid, I never thought I would have the opportunity and privilege to travel. I was able to finally get some closure on accepting the fact that I have no parents, and I could finally say goodbye to a "mother" who made life a living hell for me as a kid.

My inbox is always open.

Once again, I appreciate everything this forum does to keep it running. Traffic hasn't been an issue since it's unpinning, and we've maintained a healthy first-page presence, even with some dead air during the holidays.

Cheers, Goons.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

don't listen to josherino. this is a competition AND IM WINNING IT

haven't missed a dose in 6 years :smug:

but for real, thanks everyone for sharing and everyone for reading. sometimes i just gotta vent and this place is awesome for allowing that

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Got my new suboxone prescription. Very nice to be on a more stable-feeling dose.

If nothing else, this will at least enable me to start doing regular cardio on the elliptical again. On my lower dose it was always hard, because I felt like I had to "ration" my dose throughout the day and schedule around my limited "feeling decent" hours after each dose. I'd feel decent a couple hours after my morning dose, but wanted to use that time to do work. And then I'd feel crappy until my evening dose. But after that dose I'd want to use my limited "feeling okay" time to do something I enjoy, instead of exercise. But now I feel decent enough between doses that it's not an issue.

Josherino posted:

I also went to Tokyo :japan: during Thanksgiving. I wandered neighborhoods, stayed away from tourism, and did some much-needed brewery hopping with my partner.

This sounds sorta like my approach when I went to Honk Kong in college. I had one fully free day (it was a school trip so all other days were scheduled), and I literally just took the train out to a completely random station (literally - I closed my eyes and pointed at the map and found the nearest station to my finger) outside of the more urban areas. I then just walked aimlessly for most of the day. It was very fun just seeing various people living their lives and not knowing where I was going. I just trusted there's be a station reasonably close to wherever I ended up (which ended up being accurate, though it took some effort to reorient myself on my map - this was in 2008, so before everyone had phone GPSs).

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Trauts posted:

. But of course doctors are dumb and think that the naloxone in Suboxone actually does anything. idk. There's also the issue of drug screens.

Keeps people from cooking and shooting it….in theory.

Whirling posted:

I've been having such success with lamotrigine recently, I feel very happy with it overall, but I wish I knew what to do about the insomnia its causing me. I have not been able to consistently keep to any sort of sleep schedule. If I could just fix that, things would be great; I feel so motivated to do right by myself and seek out fulfilling things, but at night I dwell on things that make me feel bad since there's so little to do after it gets so late. There any good over-the-counter drugs I could take that might help? I tried melatonin and it just doesn't do anything to really help.

Over the counter? Not really. There is a generic extended release version of lamotrigine if you’re taking it twice daily. Taking an xr in the morning has been effective for my patients in the past. If you want to DM me what you're on, I'll be happy to give suggestions.

FizFashizzle has issued a correction as of 01:24 on Dec 8, 2023

Josherino
Mar 24, 2021

Eat This Glob posted:

don't listen to josherino. this is a competition AND IM WINNING IT

haven't missed a dose in 6 years :smug:

but for real, thanks everyone for sharing and everyone for reading. sometimes i just gotta vent and this place is awesome for allowing that

I will update leaderboards ASAP.

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

an egg posted:

Cheers this thread is full of good vibes

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006

i have a mental health prescription for you and that's to :justpost:

piss your opinion all over the world and if anyone complains gently caress them

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

About to start two weeks off work, which I would have loved at basically any other point this year but right now I feel like I was making some good progress on some projects while also being really hyper anxious, frustrated, and depressed about personal relationships, especially now that a lot of my outlets for social interaction are gonna be out for the holidays

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

i wish i wasn't like this

an egg has issued a correction as of 11:53 on Dec 9, 2023

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

it really would suck being a therapist at the moment

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

edit

an egg has issued a correction as of 12:24 on Dec 20, 2023

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

an egg posted:

actually, typing a post out and then deleting it really did help me figure out something

~*~the power of journaling~*~

A lot of people report good results from a journaling habit, personally it helps me ‘settle’ my thoughts and puts abstract feelings into words. Almost like a form of meditation. Doesn’t have to be much, 5-10 sentences about how you’re feeling and why, but I usually find myself going longer once I get started.

Obviously not a panacea for mental health issues but I’ve been surprised at how much better a simple and accessible exercise can have me feeling.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

The Top G posted:

~*~the power of journaling~*~

A lot of people report good results from a journaling habit, personally it helps me ‘settle’ my thoughts and puts abstract feelings into words. Almost like a form of meditation. Doesn’t have to be much, 5-10 sentences about how you’re feeling and why, but I usually find myself going longer once I get started.

Obviously not a panacea for mental health issues but I’ve been surprised at how much better a simple and accessible exercise can have me feeling.
i write about five pages a day at the moment, it's the only thing that keeps me sane and also keeps me from posting my brains out in this very thread. it's evergreen advice for everyone, though, so thank you.

(yes, i do constantly tear out and destroy pages for the same reason that i edit out every post)

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

an egg posted:

i write about five pages a day at the moment, it's the only thing that keeps me sane and also keeps me from posting my brains out in this very thread. it's evergreen advice for everyone, though, so thank you.

(yes, i do constantly tear out and destroy pages for the same reason that i edit out every post)

Ah, well keep up the great work :blush: :cheers:

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
I liked reading your posts, Egg!

Josherino
Mar 24, 2021

an egg posted:

Never fear, your posts are welcome here.

Curious, I definitely appreciate the fact that you and I share the same kind of journaling habits.

Have you ever looked into "adult" coloring books? I used to buy these Mandala books that would really help me out from time to time.

Josherino
Mar 24, 2021

Ytlaya posted:

This sounds sorta like my approach when I went to Honk Kong in college. I had one fully free day (it was a school trip so all other days were scheduled), and I literally just took the train out to a completely random station (literally - I closed my eyes and pointed at the map and found the nearest station to my finger) outside of the more urban areas. I then just walked aimlessly for most of the day. It was very fun just seeing various people living their lives and not knowing where I was going. I just trusted there's be a station reasonably close to wherever I ended up (which ended up being accurate, though it took some effort to reorient myself on my map - this was in 2008, so before everyone had phone GPSs).

Love this. Manage to take any photos during your free day?

I'm gonna work on sharing some here when I get some free time.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I'm so tired of feeling this way. It's been so long.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Love being tired and achy but also too tense to nap or even get decent rest. At least I've seen a doctor about it and should get a sleep study soon, but man I've just been dragging the past few months

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

i quickly gave up w paying professionals to not help me at all w covid brain smell/taste/sleep/emotional problems and turned to my friend "dr google" as doctors condescendingly refer to "learning about things."

from there i just started searching for _problem_+supplement+NCBI (scientific papers website) and reading a lot and trying whatever foods/plants that sounded helpful and not dangerous. a good one to start with is magnesium, a lot of people are deficient in that i guess and it makes brains work good so it's an easy and safe one to try, i like the glycinate kind and take it before bed.

The Role and the Effect of Magnesium in Mental Disorders: A Systematic Review posted:

Introduction: Magnesium is an essential cation involved in many functions within the central nervous system, including transmission and intracellular signal transduction. Several studies have shown its usefulness in neurological and psychiatric diseases. Furthermore, it seems that magnesium levels are lowered in the course of several mental disorders, especially depression.

Magnesium for treatment-resistant depression: A review and hypothesis posted:

Summary
Sixty percent of cases of clinical depression are considered to be treatment-resistant depression (TRD). Magnesium-deficiency causes N-methyl-d-aspartate (NMDA) coupled calcium channels to be biased towards opening, causing neuronal injury and neurological dysfunction, which may appear to humans as major depression. Oral administration of magnesium to animals led to anti-depressant-like effects that were comparable to those of strong anti-depressant drugs. Cerebral spinal fluid (CSF) magnesium has been found low in treatment-resistant suicidal depression and in patients that have attempted suicide. Brain magnesium has been found low in TRD using phosphorous nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy, an accurate means for measuring brain magnesium. Blood and CSF magnesium do not appear well correlated with major depression. Although the first report of magnesium treatment for agitated depression was published in 1921 showing success in 220 out of 250 cases, and there are modern case reports showing rapid terminating of TRD, only a few modern clinical trials were found. A 2008 randomized clinical trial showed that magnesium was as effective as the tricyclic anti-depressant imipramine in treating depression in diabetics and without any of the side effects of imipramine. Intravenous and oral magnesium in specific protocols have been reported to rapidly terminate TRD safely and without side effects. Magnesium has been largely removed from processed foods, potentially harming the brain. Calcium, glutamate and aspartate are common food additives that may worsen affective disorders. We hypothesize that – when taken together – there is more than sufficient evidence to implicate inadequate dietary magnesium as the main cause of TRD, and that physicians should prescribe magnesium for TRD. Since inadequate brain magnesium appears to reduce serotonin levels, and since anti-depressants have been shown to have the action of raising brain magnesium, we further hypothesize that magnesium treatment will be found beneficial for nearly all depressives, not only TRD.

then i found another one that helped me feel better, "boswellia serrata" and it turned out to be a kind of frankincense and that kinda set me off on learning about traditional plant use and that information is all in old religious texts which are super interesting to learn about. lots of leads there since plants that made people healthy in the past generally still work here in the future.

once getting smell/taste senses back (incredibly important! knowing what smells bad and to avoid it is very useful!!) i have been trying every variety of flavors/seasonings i can and they all own, even bad/stale stuff from the back of the cabinet cause it's fun to identify what changes about it as it gets older

also super basic stuff like drinking more water, wash your windows and monitor(easy one, nice to see things clearer), clean your bathroom(sometimes difficult but you spend a lot of time there), go for short walks in morning (good for arranging thoughts, no headphones), brush off a pet /trim a plant branch, checking yr diet out, etc.

eating oatmeal every day is good for you, still pretty affordable and you can add anything to it. i started w just like two cloves and a little cinnamon and honey and now it's increased to a handful of cardamom, clove, peppercorns, long pepper, different types of cinnamon, add lots of whatever fruits i got after its cooked etc. oatmeal gives you energy for a long time too i can usually just have coffee and weed for lunch this way to save $ lol. spices are a little expensive but its fine to just get small amounts of stuff to test out, ordering the same thing from separate places helps notice differences and makes u feel smart. tasting/enjoying is important and appreciating food makes your body absorb it better.

anyways sorry for :words: definitely not an expert at anything just some ideas. hope everybody can find positive/creative things to focus on !

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I'm losing my mind. Today I was supposed to meet a few friends for lunch so I made reservations, got ready, arrive on time. Over 15 minutes past the reservation time I get a text that they're on their way. This is not an isolated occurrence.

I just leave and turn off my phone and leave it off for over an hour. During which they finally arrive and then are trying to contact me because they're 'worried.' I later turn my phone on, see this, respond that I'm fine and can't talk.

Instead I went home and did chores, then ran some errands. Here I am 9 hours later and still haven't eaten today. Now I've also upset and alienated some of the only people who even spend time with me. I later sent the closest friend from the group a message of apologies and that I was having a meltdown. No response.

LOOKS LIKE IT'S BACK TO ISOLATION. ALONE IN MY BOX. OH BOY I CAN'T loving WAIT FOR CHRISTMAS IN MY EMPTY HOUSE! LIFE IS SO loving FUN.

On the plus side, I'm losing weight, over 16 pounds in the last few weeks. Ask your doctor what not eating can do for you.

No. 6 has issued a correction as of 03:26 on Dec 11, 2023

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I can definitely empathize with people being late and how stressful is.

I don’t think those are good friends for ya tho. and you should probably eat something. maybe something you consider a treat after doing chores toda

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Yes, it is good advice. I seem, however, to be committed to this downward spiral.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I have a pretty repeated cycle of getting bored, taking on new projects and responsibilities, getting overwhelmed with how many things I'm doing, burning out, bailing on those commitments, then winding up back at step one of this cycle. I'm currently deep in the burnout phase - starting in June I've frequently done somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 hours a week. And for the last couple weeks its been absolute fumes for me, which also means the work I'm getting done is dogshit too. You'd think at some point I'd develop a sense of my limits before I reach them but lol nope.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

No. 6 posted:

I'm losing my mind. Today I was supposed to meet a few friends for lunch so I made reservations, got ready, arrive on time. Over 15 minutes past the reservation time I get a text that they're on their way. This is not an isolated occurrence.

I just leave and turn off my phone and leave it off for over an hour. During which they finally arrive and then are trying to contact me because they're 'worried.' I later turn my phone on, see this, respond that I'm fine and can't talk.

Instead I went home and did chores, then ran some errands. Here I am 9 hours later and still haven't eaten today. Now I've also upset and alienated some of the only people who even spend time with me. I later sent the closest friend from the group a message of apologies and that I was having a meltdown. No response.

LOOKS LIKE IT'S BACK TO ISOLATION. ALONE IN MY BOX. OH BOY I CAN'T loving WAIT FOR CHRISTMAS IN MY EMPTY HOUSE! LIFE IS SO loving FUN.

On the plus side, I'm losing weight, over 16 pounds in the last few weeks. Ask your doctor what not eating can do for you.

tell them you are having a hard time and its making anxiety leak into other parts of your life and not anything that's due to or directed towards them

don't worry about the lateness thing right now, its probably not what was actually bothering you.
wait until you're in a more stable mood to try addressing any interpersonal issues that aren't a direct result of how you're feeling right now

don't trip out. if your friends are actually your friends they will understand, or at least try to, if they won't then you will know to not waste your time or stress over it.

if you are unsure about a thing, do everything you can to not let yourself worry about it. focus that energy towards things that you know are problems, it doesn't really matter what they are it can be chores like you were doing or bigger stuff, anything that is a thing you know you need to deal with, and can make meaningful progress on.

it is easy to have anxiety lock onto uncertain things
some things are always kind of unclear
if you worry about those kinds of things, it will never resolve, it does the opposite and that anxiety will grow like a muscle and come up with new ways to worry about worrying about the thing

it sounds like you're doing this or something similar
when you feel agitated and stressed out, focus on what is real and around you, pay attention to that, fill your mind with what is happening right now, where you are, to you, and not what might happen or might have happened somewhere else with other people

human brains straight up aren't made for the pacing of stressors in modern life, we're not made to repeat weird, unnatural feelin encounters like what happen in every job and classroom, not made to worry about schedules and different abstract problems non-stop

if you don't ever disengage, entirely, from that whole construct, and spend some significant amount of time you're awake only paying attention to what is right here and now, over time it will drive you insane and make you miserable

also eat somethin

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Been feeling pretty dissociated the past few weeks. Only realized it recently, but I'm sure it will pass at some point. Gonna tell my therapist about it. Actually, what I'm trying to get is a cpap machine for my sleep apnea. I got diagnosed with it once a long time ago but I didn't like using the cpap, but this time I've gotta commit to using it because I'm, heh, tired of being this tired all the time.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

MMania posted:

I don't disagree with anything you wrote, but I have my own take on therapy and this seems like as good a place as any to put it out in the world. Please be gentle?

I'm a biologist so I'm a bit myopic when it comes to approaching human behavior, but I believe anxiety and depression have to be pro-survival traits because evolution is a harsh mistress. There could have been humans in the past who always felt super happy all the time regardless of their life circumstances, but if there was they didn't have offspring as successfully as the ones who experienced anxiety/depression. I mean, hungry people today aren't depressed because their brains don't make as much serotonin as our ancestors' 300,000 years ago.. it's because it's depressing suffering from hunger in a country where we throw away almost half of the food we produce, yet food is a privilege for those who can afford it.

So when people talk about needing to have their anxiety/depression cured/healed it's confusing, because for me anxiety wasn't a problem, it was the symptom of a problem. What I needed to do to make the pain in my stomach go away was to put my needs before that of the people I loved because that is who I am. Not saying this is what anyone else should do, of course. My therapist didn't make a safe space for me and didn't empathize with me, he just tried to find which page of the DSM-5 defined my condition and repeatedly pushed anti-anxiety meds. Not trying to minimize or trivialize other people's struggles, if anything that's the opposite of what I'm trying to do, but I haven't taken an SSRI or talked to a therapist in four years and also haven't had another panic attack. That's success, right?

I've been editing this for like two hours now so I think I'll just hit submit and hope some of this nonsense means anything to anyone else.

Huge fan of the theory you put out in this post, it's one I subscribe to as well. I've had clients say, "I just want to not be [X symptom] anymore," and after hearing it for the fifth month say, "yes you do". Which is an annoying and coy way of saying that the symptom is doing something for you. It's serving some purpose. Sure it's probably preventing you from living the life you want to live, but it's helping you in some way. For a lot of people, anxiety helps them sleep at night. For others, depression helps keep their world small (read: safe). We all do this in some fashion.

But when it comes to the "healing" that you mentioned, I think some people get to a point where they're ready to move on from those past symptoms. Truly, they're ready to move on from those dysfunctional behaviors. Many people unfortunately aren't ready though, like the multi-millionaire workaholic who says they're tired of working so much but keeps working 70 hrs/week even though they could work 10. You point it out ,to them but they keep working the 70. They're simply not ready to move forward. And that's fine. I don't judge them for that, because that's part of being human. Hell, I'm not ready let go of some dysfunctional behaviors either. They all serve a purpose. Jung used to say depression is your body telling you need to slow down, like way down. He'd say depression is good for you, and you need to be depressed, and if you "honor" the depression, it'll heal you. Same thing with going "crazy". I agree with him.

Also for trauma people "need" that healing you and I are speaking about. (Not a big fan of the word need in these contexts but whatever). They can be stuck in it. poo poo, there was that Kevin hart doc where all his kids said all they want was him to stay home and be with them. But he said he was always afraid of losing all his money and being broke like he was growing up so he had to keep working. Even though he's a billionaire, he's stuck in trauma, trapped by it, owned by it, caged by it, etc. It's very sad. Imagine missing out on being a father because you're still stuck in trauma. Imagine how those kids are going to grow up, knowing that father could have stopped working immediately and spent every day with them.

Sucks you're therapist didn't empathize with you and just DSM'd you.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

every breath today feels like i can feel and hear it, like im consciously making a decision to breathe. it's like my autonomic portion of my brain is being overriden by my sympathetic nervous system and my head hurts and im incredibly depressed and i want crawl out of my skin and id really like to not feel anything for a couple days so i could maybe catch my breath and this stress headache could maybe gently caress off

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Eat This Glob posted:

every breath today feels like i can feel and hear it, like im consciously making a decision to breathe. it's like my autonomic portion of my brain is being overriden by my sympathetic nervous system and my head hurts and im incredibly depressed and i want crawl out of my skin and id really like to not feel anything for a couple days so i could maybe catch my breath and this stress headache could maybe gently caress off

Sorry to hear that man, I hope just getting it out and getting a response helps some. Hot showers sometimes help me when I'm getting something like that. Do you have time off this weekend?

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

Sorry to hear that man, I hope just getting it out and getting a response helps some. Hot showers sometimes help me when I'm getting something like that. Do you have time off this weekend?

yeah, getting it out was the hope, and the response is appreciated. i do have the weekend off

Josherino
Mar 24, 2021

I haven't been getting the best sleep this month.

My anxiety levels have been soaring through the roof and some of the decisions I've made (as of late) keep fueling my anxiety. When I commit to these decisions, I'll feel like I'm on top of the world, communicating what I can through eye contact and touch - then, nothing.

If I could sum up the past two years, it'd all surround my inability to be present and happy with where I'm at in life.

I feel like I've attached my happiness to what information or affection I can get out of others...nothing is ever good enough, and I wish my brain would stop working the way it does.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

my therapist and i have reconciled our differences. thank you, c-spam mental health thread

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I had my windows open last night to get a crossbreeze going and a corner of my curtain folded back.

Which some guy in the hall took as an invitation to look inside, comment on my stuff, and I think I heard " come back later when he's gone". I could hear it clearly since the window was open. He was talking with the building manager's son in his apartment through the door I think, otherwise shooting the poo poo. It really freaked me the gently caress out. I'm trying to calm myself by thinking I heard it out of context or he was talking poo poo, or that I'm being extra paranoid because of :catdrugs:, but I know what I heard.

Just got better from COVID and 24 hours later, new crisis dropped. I actually call this the 72 hour rule, in that the resolution or triumph of one thing will only last at most that long before it's replaced by something else.

I'm never opening that curtain again. I used to be way more disciplined about making sure the inside was not visible from the outside even when the window was open for air, I won't do that again. This is an apartment where there's a big front window right on the walkway. I got lax because my neighbors are chill, not friendly but not hostile or loud, but you never know who they know or who might wander inside. I hate having to be this paranoid, and then receiving proof I haven't been paranoid enough after all.

The adrenaline made me go to bed late. One of the things that helped some was reminding myself that it's all just stuff. I can replace it or even do without it. My gaming computer would be a pain to get back together, and goon that I am that is main concern, and a pistol which would be legally tricky if stolen. I'm going to leave the gun (and take the cannoli) at my partner's house that has people home all the time. My dog isn't here unless my partner is too so no risk there.

We're moving in May anyway so I only have to worry about this for another quarter. I have a camera already, which will have great footage of whatever happens for the police to blow off.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
one of these days I'm gonna put my head through the drywall and refuse to take my head out of the drywall and make a big scene

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
ah, ostriching

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

FirstnameLastname posted:

one of these days I'm gonna put my head through the drywall and refuse to take my head out of the drywall and make a big scene

I've done this. Don't do this.

Some days feel okay. Some are unbearable. None feel enjoyable. I want this to change and I'm trying to figure that out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I've been doing some volunteer work at the local homeless shelter for an hour or two each week, it's not a panacea but it gets you out of the house and feeling like you're doing something useful at least.