Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which 2023 game do you think will win Something Awful’s Game of the Year award?
This poll is closed.
Dead Space 5 5.10%
Metroid Prime 15 15.31%
Resident Evil 4 17 17.35%
Super Mario RPG 37 37.76%
System Shock 24 24.49%
Total: 98 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Battleborn lives on...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xn_QeSxRFl4

Edit: epic page snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

What is it about Battleborn that is making a small group of people want to play it again? The game was a commercial failure and didn’t have an audience right?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

they must have heard about it from the R34 subreddit

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I said come in! posted:

What is it about Battleborn that is making a small group of people want to play it again? The game was a commercial failure and didn’t have an audience right?

Battleborn is: FPS; hobby-grade coop campaign; genre-blended, multi-mode competitive e-sports; meta-growth, choice + epic Battleborn Heroes!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I said come in! posted:

almost every game out there has a small group of dedicated people who happened to find something they loved in a flawed product that makes them want to play it and support it

i do think battleborn got a raw deal with overwatch immediately eating its entire lunch, and matchmade multiplayer games especially live or die based on how large their initial population is. if you start off with a small population, then the inevitable hemorrhaging of a large percentage of the launch population will lead to unacceptably long queue times that will force the percent that stayed to seek greener pastures. i'm not willing to say that was the sole cause of battleborn's demise, but you could make a fair argument that it could've kept going longer if it had enough support to give it time to find its bearings

Vermain fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Dec 11, 2023

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Steve Yun posted:

Tunic captures the feeling of playing an imported Japanese game in the 90’s

Don't forget to follow the golden path!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I said come in! posted:

for better or worse, theres no game like what battleborn ended up being

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
(Have to go back to where I died to get my money, resting respawns monsters, I have a stamina bar)

Wait is this another fuckin dark souls

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Chev posted:

Sea of Thieves :words:

That makes sense.

I think my frustration with Sea of Thieves and the kneecapped pve mode has to do with the overall lack of pirate games - especially as someone who isn't a fan of PvP games.

What was the last "good" pirate game? Black Flag? That was 10 years ago but also it was only partially a pirate game because it was still trying to be an Assassin's Creed game at the same time.

I'm curious to check out Airship: Kingdoms Adrift because I hear that it is the closest thing as a successor to Sid Meier's Pirates!, which, to me, is the only truly good pirate game.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

That makes sense.

I think my frustration with Sea of Thieves and the kneecapped pve mode has to do with the overall lack of pirate games - especially as someone who isn't a fan of PvP games.

What was the last "good" pirate game? Black Flag? That was 10 years ago but also it was only partially a pirate game because it was still trying to be an Assassin's Creed game at the same time.

I'm curious to check out Airship: Kingdoms Adrift because I hear that it is the closest thing as a successor to Sid Meier's Pirates!, which, to me, is the only truly good pirate game.

Waffleman_ posted:

My heart has still not recovered from the loss of Pirates of the Caribbean: Armada of the Damned

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

I said come in! posted:

it was mostly a marketing failure
the game was league of legends but with guns so the main audience for it would be moba sickos
but randy pitchford decided to market it as a hero shooter instead, and pick a fight with overwatch.
but even if overwatch didn't exist... anyone who bought a hero shooter and then lost a round because they actually tried to fight the enemies instead of farming gold from ai creeps until level 6 would obviously be super unhappy with it. because it was a moba. and only moba sickos like those.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Sea of thieves rules if you have a full crew who knows how to drive, repair, and shoot. Wreck people.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You pilot a ship not drive it.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Waffleman_ posted:

My heart has still not recovered from the loss of Pirates of the Caribbean: Armada of the Damned

You and me both, friend.

Wtf is it it with the overall dearth of pirate games? Hell, it doesn't even need to be "realistic pirates in real world settings." Give me space pirates! Sky pirates! Fantasy pirates!

gently caress man, I'd play a goddamn Blizzard game where you're just a pirate in the WoW universe. There's just, overall, not enough pirate games.

Mr Hootington posted:

Sea of thieves rules if you have a full crew who knows how to drive, repair, and shoot. Wreck people.

I'm sure that's a really fuckin cool experience. I, personally, just don't have a game crew that I play multiplayer games with, which really hampers my enjoyment of games that are "better with friends." Pretty much any multiplayer gaming I do nowadays is just me and my wife doing co-op. This worked great in a game like Raft, but she's not a fan of PvP games.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Mordiceius posted:

I'm sure that's a really fuckin cool experience. I, personally, just don't have a game crew that I play multiplayer games with, which really hampers my enjoyment of games that are "better with friends." Pretty much any multiplayer gaming I do nowadays is just me and my wife doing co-op. This worked great in a game like Raft, but she's not a fan of PvP games.

Single player is good too if you like to troll people. Find big ships anchored with their crew off exploring, hide your tiny ship, set up booby traps, and sink their ship when they return.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

PvP-enjoyers are sickos

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I like pvp, sea of thieves pvp is just especially bad. most of the time its just griefing because getting into legitimate fights is mostly miserable. decent naval combat, but mediocre gun fights and bad melee, that people just immediately respawn on their boat after dying so boarding somebody's ship and camping their spawn is one and the same

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/momo_obrien/status/1733933344277033113?s=46

Haven’t played BG3, but I can’t see how this wouldn’t win game of the year

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also the people posting about how Spider-Man was robbed as if in a timeline where BG3 didn't exist, it wouldn't have also lost to Zelda

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

act 1 of BG3 feels like it was made by a genuine wizard for all its reactivity, though it's really a testament to what happens when you allow a part of the game to simmer for nearly two full years

act 2 and 3 are still impressive in terms of overall scope but act 1 really showcases what you get when you let artists take their time instead of either putting them under short publisher deadlines or having incompetent management dicking around for 4 years and then death marching their staff to the finish line

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I haven't heard anybody talking about Zelda in months. That game was a hit, but it didn't hit.

Doesn't matter either way. The Keighleys are rigged towards big budget western game blockbusters instead of quality. Volcano Princess and Fading Afternoon are the two top games of this year

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

I haven't heard anybody talking about Zelda in months. That game was a hit, but it didn't hit.

Doesn't matter either way. The Keighleys are rigged towards big budget western game blockbusters instead of quality. Volcano Princess and Fading Afternoon are the two top games of this year

i think TotK suffered from being, at its core, BotW with garry's mod vehicle building slapped on. it's a novel enough concept for a big budget game, but i think everyone's seen enough physics objects being sent to the moon via clumsily attached rockets to last a lifetime

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bought Immortals of Averum digitally for Xbox Series X because it was $8 (even though it came out this year). But holy poo poo the performance is horrible. I would rather have the game play at 1080p with no ray-tracing, but a buttery smooth 60fps the entire time. The optimization is so bad because the devs insisted on 4K.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

Also the people posting about how Spider-Man was robbed as if in a timeline where BG3 didn't exist, it wouldn't have also lost to Zelda

And it's not like people can't just consider Spider-Man 2 to be their personal favorite game of the year. No one needs to be validated by a dumb award show that in the span of 3 hours, only 18% was dedicated to celebrating gaming anyways.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think the acceptance speeches all added up to about 10 minutes cumulatively

And they talked about Kojima's tech demo heads for 5 minutes

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm pretty sure chris judge's shenanigans about his overwrought acceptance speech last year was more than twice as long than any of the actual acceptance speeches this year

Steve Yun posted:

https://x.com/momo_obrien/status/1733933344277033113?s=46

Haven’t played BG3, but I can’t see how this wouldn’t win game of the year
I bought the deluxe edition after the awards. I wanted to get BG3 initially after hearing about how good it was before but my computer can never ever in a million years run it, so even if I had gotten to it in time I wouldn't have been able to use the ultimate whatever edition with the statue and everything, and even getting it now, that thing is both sold out and absurdly, ridiculously overpriced on secondhand sites hitting easily over a grand now. I decided to just buy the deluxe edition and hold onto it for whenever I can eventually upgrade my PC.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Dec 11, 2023

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

Anyone who was on the fence with Against The Storm I recommend giving it a try! It's on gamepass so I gave it a shot and it's been a lot of fun.

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

Mordiceius posted:

Sky pirates!

Seriously, why has there never been another Crimson Skies?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Blurb3947 posted:

Battleborn lives on...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xn_QeSxRFl4

Edit: epic page snipe

That’s cool. I always wanted to at least try it out for myself.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Vermain posted:

i think TotK suffered from being, at its core, BotW with garry's mod vehicle building slapped on. it's a novel enough concept for a big budget game, but i think everyone's seen enough physics objects being sent to the moon via clumsily attached rockets to last a lifetime

Pretty much. I made the "mistake" of finally getting around to playing through botw in the months preceding totks release. It was great I loved it, but playing both games back to back really highlights this fact and I burnt out before I'd even managed to uncover the map in the 2nd game.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Vermain posted:

i really enjoyed the first half of the game but the back half of it really soured me and i've tried to figure out why. i think it's because there's all this amazing reactivity in the gameplay and almost no reason to ever use it beyond seeing if it would work. the game will always place the solutions to every puzzle around the corner from it, so i never felt like the game gave me a chance to be clever by making good use the resources i had on hand.

the world starts off as being this amazing trip back to the botw world but then the cracks start to show. the enemy encounters are almost all copypasted prefabs with more or less identical configurations of enemies. you've seen one fort you've seen them all. you've seen one pirate ship you've seen them all. by the 20-30 hour mark you already know exactly what's waiting for you around the corner more or less everywhere. there's almost no sense of danger or wonder remaining.

there's still a few cool surprises like the gleeoks or the thunder island in the sky, but even they quickly become routine, or they are over too quickly. the underworld seems like this amazing place at first but it quickly goes the same way. the actual underlying systems beyond building contraptions are still very shallow.

i know that it's a nintendo game for kids so i'm not saying they should have catered to me. i'm just saying that the gaming slurm was the wrong flavour for my brain.

it had a good final boss though.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

I said come in! posted:

As others have stated, it was up against Overwatch which came out just a few weeks later, which like why would you do that to yourself Randy. The Division had also released earlier that spring and probably some other decent games I'm forgetting.

I thought the story missions were pretty fun, especially with the RPG like elements it had so you could drastically change the playstyle of any character. Each had two main specs you picked abilities from each mission, but you also had meta progression with items you could attach to pump certain stats. It was just a big mess though and lots of people I think got turned off by how many systems the game had when they were expecting a simple hero shooter with some PvE story stuff.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

I agree but this also applies to Spiderman2

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Been playing Let It Die lately cuz it's the 7th anniversary going on and I finally got all of the Forcemen on Nightmare difficulty after putting that off for a year. I'll be making an attempt to climb to the very top next year and maybe I'll actually do it lol.

I've also been catching up with my annual run of Final Fantasy 12 and I've been playing PSO2: NG with my irl friend whenever we've got the time.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gaius Marius posted:

I haven't heard anybody talking about Zelda in months.

I've been talking about it for months! Game loving rules and was the best game I played in 2023 (everybody go post their Top Ten in the Game of the Year thread), absolutely blew me away :hellyeah:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I've got 2 weeks to restart and finish it for my GOTY list :v:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

if bg3 wins SA goty it's gonna be very embarrassing, it'd mean the second year in a row where SA's goty is the same as the The Game Awards

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Don't worry, next year will be an FF14 expansion again.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Infinitum posted:

I've got 2 weeks to restart and finish it for my GOTY list :v:

You got a fun 2 weeks ahead of you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I hate Nintendo so much. I want to live in a different timeline where they failed instead of Sega, and you can just buy the 2-3 exclusives that justify their consoles' existence on every platform instead of having to buy a loving Switch just for Zelda. We already had the lite for my wife for Animal Crossing, but I picked up the full version a few months ago so she could play on the TV and I could also finally try BotW and TotK, but god drat it you cant even get a sensible price on the games second hand.

The new Warzone is ok. Unacceptable amount of jitters and other technical poo poo that shouldn't be prevalent in a money making powerhouse, and sadly there isn't much competition in the genre. The feel of it is good though and they've added some qol stuff thats been long overdue. I can see what the reticle looks like when I'm picking a scope now! Still, wish a game would come out that gets rid of all that lame slide canceling poo poo and imposes a huge aim penalty when jumping or going prone. There probably aren't enough people like me out there though that are looking to strike that certain balance between realism and action. I guess what it boils down to is I wish they'd make another good Battlefield. Been 10 years since 4 now :negative: