Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
You can block Snake Eyes grab with prosthetic umbrella. Makes them really easy to deal with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Extra Large Marge posted:

Those guys are jerks!

lol

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

WaltherFeng posted:

You can block Snake Eyes grab with prosthetic umbrella. Makes them really easy to deal with

I'll try that, thanks. Tbh I rarely use prosthetics or combat arts because of the spirit emblem system. Having consumables that don't refill when you rest stresses me out so I try not to use them out of fear of running out. I've only used sugars once or twice for the same reason, and haven't fought any of the headless because bosses take me so many tries I know I'll run out of divine confetti and pacifying agent. I was so bummed when I learned Blood Smoke takes 6 of them, I love that ability and now I'm super hesitant to use it. I have no interest in having to farm gold to buy consumables from merchants just to keep trying a boss/area.

I hate dropping games so I'm still chugging along but at 25 hours I don't feel any more comfortable or competent at Sekiro than I did when I started. Still feels like I'm bullshitting my way through the game getting lucky W's. I'm used to games having build variety and ways to change your approach and here it's just "play this exactly how the devs intended or gently caress you". I'm definitely missing the ability to overlevel a tough boss or spec into an OP build to get by a wall. The only option in Sekiro is "git gud". I get what people love about the game, and there's a lot I do enjoy, but overall the experience is still not clicking for me.

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.
My first time through Sekiro the Umbrella variants were MVP for prosthetic tools. And every NG+ since then it’s been all about the firecrackers. They interrupt drat near everything provided you pay attention to the cooldown for affecting enemies again, it’s almost a crutch at times for me now. I think I’m gonna try a no tools run for my next playthrough!

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Since you expect to be losing gold and xp constantly, I recommend spending excess sen on buying extra spirit emblems. Alot of enemies are hard countered by certain prosthetics. But even when not, there are some prosthetics that I find extremely reliable.

The one I use the most is the humble shuriken. Shurikens absolutely shut down animals like dogs or monkeys. And if you have the Chasing Slice skill, you can basically use it as a risk free gap closer, where you throw a shuriken to force the opponent into guarding, and you then immediately get on top of them.

As for the order in which I like to get skills, Mikiri Counter is obviously the first to get. Whirlwind Slash is kind of okay but you're better off just pressing R1.

The Prosthetics tree is quite reliably strong. The first two are very useful, Chasing Slice as said gives you a gap closer, Grappling hook attack gives you free damage against Gyoubou. Don't waste points on Nightjar Slash, there are better gap closers, and this is a game where you don't want to waste time with disengagers. Fang and Blade opens up new moves with loaded spear and axe, but it's not that strong. Projected Force and Living Force are very strong, the former lets you basically use the Purple umbrella to shut down alot of spirit enemies, while the latter makes Flame Vent far more useful against generic enemies.

The entire Ashina Tree is also a high priority, giving both the S tier Ichimonji, and several very powerful passives that increase your posture damage.

Heal on Deathblow is also a good all-rounder to prioritize early. Mid-air deflection and mid-air combat arts is also good because jumping Ichimonjis and jumping Mortal Draws are some of the best moves in the gane.

If you're crutching hard on stealth to clear zones, then Run and Slide/Suppress Presence/Suppress Sound are good to get, and you can always use those to farm more xp by stealth killing zones.

All the Shinobi Medicine passives are reliably strong especially if you are taking hits.

Temple Arts is mostly useless. Prayerful Strikes is garbage. Senpou Leaping Kicks used to be good in 1.0, but it's been nerfed to uselessness now.

Most capstone skills are garbage. Shadowrush is far too expensive for what it can do, and it costs emblems. Living Force is as I mentioned pretty good because it gives your sword a fire buff. Ashina Cross is only useful in that it unlocks Empowered Mortal Draw (that one is actually worth it).

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
Re: monkeys boss
There's two easy cheeses you can do in that fight:
First off, you can pop a stealth sugar right before the fight, and start off totally undetected. You can still be discovered, but their detection range is way smaller.
Next is the invisible monkey always starts directly behind you, near the railing. Just turn around and stab it for an easy kill.

It ends up being an extremely quick and consistent fight once you figure out a good strategy.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

Since you expect to be losing gold and xp constantly, I recommend spending excess sen on buying extra spirit emblems. Alot of enemies are hard countered by certain prosthetics. But even when not, there are some prosthetics that I find extremely reliable.

The one I use the most is the humble shuriken. Shurikens absolutely shut down animals like dogs or monkeys. And if you have the Chasing Slice skill, you can basically use it as a risk free gap closer, where you throw a shuriken to force the opponent into guarding, and you then immediately get on top of them.

As for the order in which I like to get skills, Mikiri Counter is obviously the first to get. Whirlwind Slash is kind of okay but you're better off just pressing R1.

The Prosthetics tree is quite reliably strong. The first two are very useful, Chasing Slice as said gives you a gap closer, Grappling hook attack gives you free damage against Gyoubou. Don't waste points on Nightjar Slash, there are better gap closers, and this is a game where you don't want to waste time with disengagers. Fang and Blade opens up new moves with loaded spear and axe, but it's not that strong. Projected Force and Living Force are very strong, the former lets you basically use the Purple umbrella to shut down alot of spirit enemies, while the latter makes Flame Vent far more useful against generic enemies.

The entire Ashina Tree is also a high priority, giving both the S tier Ichimonji, and several very powerful passives that increase your posture damage.

Heal on Deathblow is also a good all-rounder to prioritize early. Mid-air deflection and mid-air combat arts is also good because jumping Ichimonjis and jumping Mortal Draws are some of the best moves in the gane.

If you're crutching hard on stealth to clear zones, then Run and Slide/Suppress Presence/Suppress Sound are good to get, and you can always use those to farm more xp by stealth killing zones.

All the Shinobi Medicine passives are reliably strong especially if you are taking hits.

Temple Arts is mostly useless. Prayerful Strikes is garbage. Senpou Leaping Kicks used to be good in 1.0, but it's been nerfed to uselessness now.

Most capstone skills are garbage. Shadowrush is far too expensive for what it can do, and it costs emblems. Living Force is as I mentioned pretty good because it gives your sword a fire buff. Ashina Cross is only useful in that it unlocks Empowered Mortal Draw (that one is actually worth it).

Thanks for this!

I took Mikiri Counter early, as well as Grappling hook attack, Ichimonji, I have Heal on Deathblow, and all the stealth related ones. Mortal Draw has seemed a big old meh for me so far but I'll try it again. I honestly don't find any of the weapon arts useful, although I did cheese a few bosses by spamming Ichimonji at them.

I just got the Temple Arts and I took Prayerful Strikes and it did indeed seem like dogshit. Good to know I can stop wasting points on Temple Arts.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Wamsutta posted:

I'll try that, thanks. Tbh I rarely use prosthetics or combat arts because of the spirit emblem system. Having consumables that don't refill when you rest stresses me out so I try not to use them out of fear of running out. I've only used sugars once or twice for the same reason, and haven't fought any of the headless because bosses take me so many tries I know I'll run out of divine confetti and pacifying agent. I was so bummed when I learned Blood Smoke takes 6 of them, I love that ability and now I'm super hesitant to use it. I have no interest in having to farm gold to buy consumables from merchants just to keep trying a boss/area.

I'm pretty much at the exact same spot as you on my first playthrough, except I have no life and so have been bashing my head against some optional bosses. Without any spoilers -and I really cannot stress this enough- you should give the S-warrior a go, and maybe burn all your confetti fighting the first headless. It's not as if the item has any better use, and the rewards might astonish you!

I've also been spamming sugars and prosthetics ever since what feels like the 'midgame' has arrived, and I'm absolutely nowhere near using them all. Maybe cuz I got a skill that increases item drops? But yea, those and the balloons-items I was hoarding at first, but they're now all dropping faster than I can use the drat things. Start using those consumables!

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Wamsutta posted:

Absolutely roadblocked by snake eyes shihrahagi which I wasn’t even trying to get to and stumbled on, no idea where I am but I guess I’m leaving lol

sorta lost in general ever since finishing Senpou temple there doesn’t seem to be a clear indication of what’s next in the game and if it’s this fight I’m hosed

I haaaaate the snake eyes and they always intimidate me/give me a lot of trouble but recently on my second playthrough it clicked and I managed to get decent at fighting them. You can just parry the guns and kicks like any other attack and stay aggressive and in their face, the timing of their attacks is slow enough that you can have a rhythm of 1 block - 1 attack - 1 block - 1 attack to build up their posture bar and they will go down surprisingly fast.

On Snake Eyes Shirahagi you can sneak up on her from behind to get the first deathblow for free and lure her to a place behind a nearby hut where the other guys on an island will not be able to shoot you. And as I think somebody mentioned, there's an idol hidden in the corner of the pool which is a convenient place from which to just grapple over and take out the 2 guys behind the hut and go behind Shirahagi to get the first deathblow.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Wamsutta posted:

I'll try that, thanks. Tbh I rarely use prosthetics or combat arts because of the spirit emblem system. Having consumables that don't refill when you rest stresses me out so I try not to use them out of fear of running out. I've only used sugars once or twice for the same reason, and haven't fought any of the headless because bosses take me so many tries I know I'll run out of divine confetti and pacifying agent.

I would highly recommend farming up a bit of cash and just buying a few hundred emblems and never worrying about them again. They get more expensive as the game goes on so just buying a ton immediately is good.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Shurikens and firecrackers are perhaps the most universally useful prosthetics, though the latter is admittedly borderline broken: it just works a little too good on some things it's not supposed to be super effective on. Umbrella can be really useful and perhaps its bes use is trivializing fights heavy on Terror status, because gently caress that poo poo.

The teleport feather one is a little weird in that it's not meant to counter anything in particular, it's not really necessary for anything, but if you like it and get good at using it, it can get quite powerful. It's like getting more payout from your parry timings.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf

I appreciate this! Shame you can't have it for gyobu

My next question is, do you just eat poo poo (read: take a bunch of damage) trying to approach the gun fort like usual if you're doing charmless+demon bell? I was definitely taking damage through the umbrella. Wound up popping a stealth sugar instead of trying to deflect everything. I'm not overlooking anything, yeah?

Zwingley fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Dec 9, 2023

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf
quote ain't edit

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Zwingley posted:

I appreciate this! Shame you can't have it for gyobu

My next question is, do you just eat poo poo (read: take a bunch of damage) trying to approach the gun fort like usual if you're doing charmless+demon bell? I was definitely taking damage through the umbrella. Wound up popping a stealth sugar instead of trying to deflect everything. I'm not overlooking anything, yeah?

the easiest way is to sprint to the hole, fall down and spiderman to the secret side path. But you can do it without getting hit, when on the bridge you run to the left side till they're about to fire then slowly move right as you're running forward. You only have to dodge two volleys. Today was my first time dying at gun fort in forever, but normally I don't take damage from the previous idol to the next.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

guardian ape can gently caress right off. Been at it an hour and not even close to a deathblow. Just getting grabbed non stop no matter what I do, and can’t seem to do poo poo to its posture

Edit: oh good there’s a phase 2 and it has Terror

Wamsutta fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 10, 2023

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf

Wamsutta posted:

guardian ape can gently caress right off. Been at it an hour and not even close to a deathblow. Just getting grabbed non stop no matter what I do, and can’t seem to do poo poo to its posture

Yeah you hafta do a lot of damage to ape before it's posture regen starts to flag. That rule is true for all enemies, but ape is one of the standouts

It appears charmless+bell is going to finally make me learn O'Rin. More deaths here than any three other bosses so far.

Wamsutta posted:

:allears:

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Ape's second form has some nastier moves but I feel like they have more easily readable tells than the first one. First form is a wild beast, just unchecked aggression flinging everything he has at you (sometimes literally). Second form is like something puppeting the corpse and lacking that natural flow from one move to the next.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Wamsutta posted:

There's an optional Headless Ape & Bride of Headless Ape fight later in the game, it was one of the only fights I got first try due entirely to how many attempts I did on Guardian Ape.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf
why would you rob us of the organic reaction

also im not sure i would call it optional, exactly, when it depends on your order of progression

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Party Boat posted:

Ape's second form has some nastier moves but I feel like they have more easily readable tells than the first one. First form is a wild beast, just unchecked aggression flinging everything he has at you (sometimes literally). Second form is like something puppeting the corpse and lacking that natural flow from one move to the next.

Yeah second form is initially intimidating because its movement is so weird but it's actually very predictable once you get the hang of its patterns. A lot of its moves, if you deflect them, will force it into a single sequence of attacks that, if you deflect each one (and there's only two), end with it stunned and incredibly vulnerable (if you use the spear on it at that point it also does a ton of damage). You basically just need to keep repeating that sequence until it's done.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

got second phase down to like two hits left and he killed me and I’ve never been so disappointed

This feels like a final boss fight

I hate that you have to do both phases every attempt because it’s such a long plink damage fight

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
The second phase is considerably easier, outside of him just screaming over and over, since it's a sword fight and you know how to do sword fights. The first phase is mainly just chasing him around the drat arena and figuring out the movement to get out of his wonky throw hitbox.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
Phase 2 isn't (or shouldn't be) a plink damage fight, it should be mostly trying to bait him into the stun-parry thing where you can spear out the millipede

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Wamsutta posted:

Phase 1 doesn't like fire or fire crackers. Phase 2 is simple deflection. When you see the shimmy it means terror.

Phase 2 mechanic spoiler two deflections in a row makes it do a kind of statue of liberty pose and collapse, deflect that and you can do quite a few hits in a row. if you have emblems you can use a loaded spear attack and pull out a centipede and do massive damage.

Phase 1 is slightly more chaotic but once you get it down it's not so bad.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

the big tell for the terror scream is him raising his left hand with the head in back to his neck stump - that's your prompt to run

I think everything else can be deflected

good luck

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

yeah his timings in phase 2 for deflects are really weird and hard I can tell this is going to take hours lol

E: well I beat his rear end but now I have 11 total spirit emblems lol. Oh well, win’s a win. I actually dig that fight, it took me a while but the arena, the vibes, and boss himself are dope once I got the hang of it

Wamsutta fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 10, 2023

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Deflects for phase two are weird, but it only has about 3 or 4 ish moves so you'll learn them quickly if you try again some time in the near future.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

text editor posted:

There's an optional Headless Ape & Bride of Headless Ape fight later in the game, it was one of the only fights I got first try due entirely to how many attempts I did on Guardian Ape.

I just stumbled across this and honestly don’t see how it’s possible

What a hosed up reward for finally beating snake eyes in the poison swamp wtf

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
If you can beat normal ape then this fight is relatively easy. Sword ape is just easier in general. And the small brown ape is far less aggressive than normal ape. You just need to run around the arena for longer avoiding the gank, and that I find unfun.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
The trick to the double ape fight is to realize that their AI is connected and they do tandem attacks. If they were running around independently and just doing whatever the fight would be drat near impossible but it's actually not even that hard once you learn their patterns.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
It's very obvious because brown ape will kind of... stand there for most of headless ' moves.

Also if you kill headless, brown ape dies immediately

Wamsutta posted:

E: well I beat his rear end but now I have 11 total spirit emblems lol. Oh well, win’s a win. I actually dig that fight, it took me a while but the arena, the vibes, and boss himself are dope once I got the hang of it

Yes I think this is still my favorite so far, but there are 4x I missed due to story progression that I'll have to do on future playthroughs

text editor fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Dec 11, 2023

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
After triggering a certain plot device after beating the corrupted monk and guardian ape, I've come to agree with that poster about how Sekiro combat falls apart when it's not 1v1 anymore.

So yea, with the shinobi invasion, it's kinda hosed up seeing duels happen between known-hard opponents like interior ninjas vs miniboss samurai, and see them unload various bullshit at each other. Sometimes they block/parry perfectly, sometimes they don't give a poo poo and just swing into each other with their unblockable stuff. It also really highlights how much damage disparity accounts for difficulty; their attacks which rip off most of the player's hp are barely hurting each other, they're such huge goddamn blobs of hp. Also, as said before, they absolutely cannot handle a 1v2; like when you puppeteer a guy and use him vs the dojo boss, an awful lot of sucker punching starts to happen, so it's not just the players being insufficient at the task.

-----

Different topic, can I ask for some opinions on the various combat arts and shinbi tools in general? Like for me, the spear seems to have no use outside of scripted events, the firecracker is OP, shuriken is a workhorse, and I want to use axe and feather more, but I never really seem to. Meanwhile for combat arts whirlwind is niche but that's fine, double-itchi is amazing to finish off bosses with a jump in, floating passage is my mainstay (with a jump-in) for the chip damage or when sucker-punching bosses, mortal draw is amazing yet almost impractical, but the rest I don't really have much use for; Nightjar Slash got obsoleted when I got mid-air combat arts, and the monk skills have been a big disappointment as I have no idea what they do that's unique. I've not unlocked any capstone skills yet, fwiw.

edit: Oh yea, and the xp values of the new enemies are wild. Old dog gave 15xp, new dog gives 225. They're the same drat dog.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Dec 11, 2023

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
I think enemy damage is simply scaled down against each other. Else you have scenarios where enemy factions fighting completely trivialize encounters, like what happens in Lies of P.

Enemy vs enemy fights also don’t seem to use their defensive code properly. Enemies will interrupt themselves to block your attacks. But this behavior fails against other enemies. So they just get full body hits against other, but deal mere chip damage.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
If you poison yourself with contact medicine you can spam mist raven feather counterattack till you run out of emblems.

Poison is said to expand the mind.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Serephina posted:

After triggering a certain plot device after beating the corrupted monk and guardian ape, I've come to agree with that poster about how Sekiro combat falls apart when it's not 1v1 anymore.

So yea, with the shinobi invasion, it's kinda hosed up seeing duels happen between known-hard opponents like interior ninjas vs miniboss samurai, and see them unload various bullshit at each other. Sometimes they block/parry perfectly, sometimes they don't give a poo poo and just swing into each other with their unblockable stuff. It also really highlights how much damage disparity accounts for difficulty; their attacks which rip off most of the player's hp are barely hurting each other, they're such huge goddamn blobs of hp. Also, as said before, they absolutely cannot handle a 1v2; like when you puppeteer a guy and use him vs the dojo boss, an awful lot of sucker punching starts to happen, so it's not just the players being insufficient at the task.

-----

Different topic, can I ask for some opinions on the various combat arts and shinbi tools in general? Like for me, the spear seems to have no use outside of scripted events, the firecracker is OP, shuriken is a workhorse, and I want to use axe and feather more, but I never really seem to. Meanwhile for combat arts whirlwind is niche but that's fine, double-itchi is amazing to finish off bosses with a jump in, floating passage is my mainstay (with a jump-in) for the chip damage or when sucker-punching bosses, mortal draw is amazing yet almost impractical, but the rest I don't really have much use for; Nightjar Slash got obsoleted when I got mid-air combat arts, and the monk skills have been a big disappointment as I have no idea what they do that's unique. I've not unlocked any capstone skills yet, fwiw.

edit: Oh yea, and the xp values of the new enemies are wild. Old dog gave 15xp, new dog gives 225. They're the same drat dog.

The game is deliberately built around 1v1 imo, it's a game about sword duels and assassinations and it's meant to suck if you're trying to fight multiple credible opponents simultaineously

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Wamsutta posted:

What a hosed up reward for finally beating snake eyes in the poison swamp wtf

:allears:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

WaltherFeng posted:

If you poison yourself with contact medicine you can spam mist raven feather counterattack till you run out of emblems.

WHAT

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

WaltherFeng posted:

oh what the gently caress :stare:

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I beat the double apes and now just went back to try fight the first headless and god drat I don’t enjoy them as enemies at all. Having my boss attempts be governed by a rare consumable is entire dogshit. I used 3/4 of my confetti and still died. Guess these aren’t happening!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Rather soon you’ll receive an item that lets you buy infinite confetti if you want it. I never bother with any of the headless, they suck and are not fun or necessary.