Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
My local grocery store had at least half a dozen disabled ppl working as baggers before the pandemic and I haven't seen a single one of them since and I guess I just really hope they found employment elsewhere. Obviously bagging your own groceries isn't that big an inconvenience, but gently caress if it doesn't piss me off to see jobs disappear like that for no good reason. It's a perfect example of things getting shittier solely to slightly increase a number

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Kit Walker posted:

I can only assume that the self-checkout machines in the US are all complete garbage because I've lived in a few countries abroad and I've never once had any of these issues over the course of several years and living in several cities. The worst I ever had was a machine that needed me to scan the item, put it in the bagging area, then it had to take like 3 seconds to think about it before it let me scan the next item. And that issue seemed to go away after a couple months

I think it's mostly a constant ramp up of loss prevention features because the US used to have good self checkout machines.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It's also likely that people who lost their bagger jobs because of self checkout didn't actually lose their jobs and instead got relegated to the stock room filling peoples online orders

Especially if the store used disabled employees as baggers because they got tax credits and poo poo for that which lol no company wants to give up its cost-cutting measures

e: There's an argument to be made for it being hosed-up to hide their disabled employees in the warehouse where customers can't see them though

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 10, 2023

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
My grocery store occasionally has a bagger but they often don’t do it right.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

shazbot posted:

I have been bagging my own groceries since I was 16 and got a job as a bag boy. I know what I’m doing, it’s just easier. It’s not the labor that bothered me. It’s the Bzzt upc not complete. Bzzt unknown item in the bagging error. Bzzt too many upcs detected. Things like Is this a normal size or large artichoke? Oh no you’ve taken too many things off the bagging/weigh table to make more room to bag stuff. Clearly there are two sides here. Side A has tried it, lolled, and posted about it in this thread. Side B lols because they think the goons are too lazy to do their own bagging!

I don’t know who side B is or what they are astroturfing but self checkout is a goddamn scam.

Related, for the past 5 years or so our Fry’s (Kroger) had hired those with learning disabilities. To do menial (bagging and cart return) duties. My wife was a sped teacher and always enjoyed talking to one of these people in particular who also made it priority to bag our items (even though I would have preferred to do it myself).

Fry’s let her go so a lovely robot can make you do her job. She never should have had a job (UBI/disability) but nevertheless

This is really puzzling me as well. Especially for goons.

If I have 5 items and no alcohol I'll use a self-checkout if I think it will be faster, but that's almost never the case. I go grocery shopping once every week or two. That tiny counter will not hold all of my groceries and I'll have to be fighting the system with the skip bagging button and I will almost assuredly get an error. Each item I scan increases the chances of it loving up.

I get that a lot of the side B goons are European but their entire grocery shopping culture is not like the US where every grocery store is Costco sized and mom's fill up a full-sized cart to the brim to get all of the poo poo for their family on a set schedule. A lot of Euro people grocery shop loving daily where they can just walk down the street to a tiny market and grab their poo poo in one bag and go. Or enough to take working public transport.

That's not how it works in my area of the US. I'd like to stress "my area" because the US is loving huge and every place is different. If I lived in NYC my grocery shopping experience would be far different than here in the midwest. I can't walk in -30F weather to the local Italian/German/Mexican/Indian etc market to get everything I need for two weeks. I drive a few miles to the warehouse sized store with a few feet of a shelf labeled "International Foods" and get my poo poo.

The whole "you're just too lazy to bag your own groceries" argument is pretty loving stupid and disingenuous.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 10, 2023

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

shazbot posted:

Related, for the past 5 years or so our Fry’s (Kroger) had hired those with learning disabilities. To do menial (bagging and cart return) duties. My wife was a sped teacher and always enjoyed talking to one of these people in particular who also made it priority to bag our items (even though I would have preferred to do it myself).

They still do at mine in Tempe, it’s part of why I still go there.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Pennywise the Frown posted:

This is really puzzling me as well. Especially for goons.

If I have 5 items and no alcohol I'll use a self-checkout if I think it will be faster, but that's almost never the case. I go grocery shopping once every week or two. That tiny counter will not hold all of my groceries and I'll have to be fighting the system with the skip bagging button and I will almost assuredly get an error. Each item I scan increases the chances of it loving up.

The Asda near where I used to live in the UK had self-checkouts with maaaaaassive bagging areas. Certainly big enough to fit an entire cart on them. And they ended up getting rid of about 10 lanes to replace them with 30 more of these machines. I was visiting there around last Christmas and it was wild to see something like 50 people all checking their stuff out at once while another 100 were waiting their turn and getting through pretty quickly. At the very least it was working out more efficiently than the original 20 lanes would've been going

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Kit Walker posted:

The Asda near where I used to live in the UK had self-checkouts with maaaaaassive bagging areas. Certainly big enough to fit an entire cart on them. And they ended up getting rid of about 10 lanes to replace them with 30 more of these machines. I was visiting there around last Christmas and it was wild to see something like 50 people all checking their stuff out at once while another 100 were waiting their turn and getting through pretty quickly. At the very least it was working out more efficiently than the original 20 lanes would've been going

That'd at least be more helpful. About 95% of the ones I've seen at all grocery stores here are this:

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Try using one of these monstrosities when you can't bend/twist at the waist, it's a hoot. Also I recently watched a dude in a wheelchair struggle to move all his poo poo from the right side to the left because each platform is a totally different height for some reason.

lol gently caress you I'm not scanning 30 items on that. I did mention earlier though that one store near me has one or two self checkouts with a conveyor belt but that's the most expensive place around.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

AARD VARKMAN posted:

it's good that we killed some jobs entirely to increase the profit margin for one quarter for some business guy: because in Europe those jobs never existed. makes sense to me

I for one can't wait for everyone to be replaced by robots/ai/vending machines. Now I'm not sure yet if I want people to die in ditches, die fighting for my entertainment, or get some sort of universal basic income. It's a tough call I'll have to think about it.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

It's also likely that people who lost their bagger jobs because of self checkout didn't actually lose their jobs and instead got relegated to the stock room filling peoples online orders

Especially if the store used disabled employees as baggers because they got tax credits and poo poo for that which lol no company wants to give up its cost-cutting measures

e: There's an argument to be made for it being hosed-up to hide their disabled employees in the warehouse where customers can't see them though

The current trend of getting the most returns from retail is to have Frontline do everything instead of having discreet stocking or customer service or register shifts. If a position is removed it is labor hours saved and that burden gets picked up by anyone who remains, and are able to do all tasks. A bagger requires no onboarding or training other than "don't steal" and "eggs on top"

People never got hired to do curbside or ship from store. That was just extra work thrown on top.

This is some "the markets are perfectly efficient" poo poo

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I watched a neat program on grocery stores a few months ago. I think it was a History Channel the-people-that-built-America type thing. When general stores started off, people would go in and hand their list to the grocer and they'd go in the back and pick everything out for them. The customer had very little to no choice of brands. They got whatever the store owner had. It was revolutionary, apparently, to have all of the products out on shelves so that the customer could actually pick and choose what product they wanted with a larger selection of brands.

I don't remember most of the program but it was interesting. Shifting the workload onto the customer to pick their own groceries out was initially to give the customer more power and choice and it created mass competition from brands. That's generally good for capitalism. Self-checkout does not give anything to the customer besides inconvenience. You may say, "well it's so much faster because their are no lanes open!" Yeah. Exactly. The grocery store artificially created that problem. If they were properly staffed and paid then that wouldn't be an issue but you know... the other side of capitalism... :shrug:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

The current trend of getting the most returns from retail is to have Frontline do everything instead of having discreet stocking or customer service or register shifts. If a position is removed it is labor hours saved and that burden gets picked up by anyone who remains, and are able to do all tasks. A bagger requires no onboarding or training other than "don't steal" and "eggs on top"

People never got hired to do curbside or ship from store. That was just extra work thrown on top.

This is some "the markets are perfectly efficient" poo poo

This is absolutely not true. As I have griped about ITT before, the job market for "e-commerce" adjacent positions is absolutely flooded with "sit in a stockroom packaging online orders" postings, to the point where what would historically be considered an e-comm position barely exists anymore. There are tons of jobs that are literally "bagger but you do it in the back room" now. Like, absolute boatloads of them. They're lovely jobs, but so was being a grocery store bagger.

The free market sucks poo poo but you're entirely uninformed about your argument here. Go to any job board and search for e-commerce and you'll see that this is absolutely a dedicated position that jobs not only hire for but are desperate to fill. Maybe only in major cities though? I could see retail stores in some little rural town with minimal online orders and limited labor pools to draw from making everyone do everything.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Dec 11, 2023

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Went to the grocery store today and they bagged my groceries in the express lane. I'm a job creator

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
It's a chicken or egg capitalism thing, for whether you think it's worse that menial jobs disappear or whether they should even exist if they can be automated away to free people from doing menial labor for the middle and upper classes.

I'm in the 'we shouldn't be forcing anyone to be doing menial labor to justify their existence' camp. I get that we aren't post-capitalism yet, but keeping menial jobs around to have something to force the elderly and disabled into so they can experience 'the dignity of work' or whatever doesn't feel like the right solution. UBI yesterdayyyy ahhhhh

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
I got back a couple hours ago from getting the weekly groceries for my partner and I, at Winco, a western US chain that’s 100% employee-owned and not beholden to Wall Street or some bloodsucking private capital group(looking at you, Safeway). Prices are good and it’s very successful.

You know what? Turns out, if you hire plenty of employees to man(or woman) the checkout lines, self-checkout is a non-issue. Want a person to do it? Fine, lines are short enough. Have a couple items and want to do it yourself? Have at it! You end up with only people with a few items in the self-checkout, and they’re people familiar with it who want to be there, not confused old people with half a cartload.

End-stage capitalism, and the failure of, is the root of drat near everything hosed-up today, even this rather ridiculous argument.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Oh yeh I'm support of both in supermarkets. Having only self-checkout as an option is bullshit. But self-checkout actually helps me as an autistic person who gets overwhelmed at grocery stores. So maybe it's not...the worst ever!!

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
What comes after end stage capitalism? :ohdear:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Capitalism new game +

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Outpost22 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CziLDGyo8W8

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Outpost22 posted:

Oblivion.

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.

Outpost22 posted:

Capitalism: New Game+

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Oh yeh I'm support of both in supermarkets. Having only self-checkout as an option is bullshit. But self-checkout actually helps me as an autistic person who gets overwhelmed at grocery stores. So maybe it's not...the worst ever!!

I like it too under certain circumstances(not too many items or weird produce or alcohol), I just hate the endless corporate drive to cut the number of employees and forcing people into self checkout that really shouldn’t be there. Having both options is a good thing.

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.
If you’ve got the fear and you need a drink and it’s not 6am just buy red cooking wine at the self checkout.

alcoholism life pro tip

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

JnnyThndrs posted:

I got back a couple hours ago from getting the weekly groceries for my partner and I, at Winco, a western US chain that’s 100% employee-owned and not beholden to Wall Street or some bloodsucking private capital group(looking at you, Safeway). Prices are good and it’s very successful.

You know what? Turns out, if you hire plenty of employees to man(or woman) the checkout lines, self-checkout is a non-issue. Want a person to do it? Fine, lines are short enough. Have a couple items and want to do it yourself? Have at it! You end up with only people with a few items in the self-checkout, and they’re people familiar with it who want to be there, not confused old people with half a cartload.

End-stage capitalism, and the failure of, is the root of drat near everything hosed-up today, even this rather ridiculous argument.

But Winco makes you suffer the ignominy of bagging your own groceries!!!

The self-checkouts at mine always work fine and people generally know how to use them but unfortunately the store is pretty short staffed because it’s so loving expensive to live here now. So there’s typically only two or three cashiers at a time with massive lines and the self-checkout ends up getting backed up as a result, so it’s not even much faster to use.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Outpost22 posted:

Techno Feudalism, gonna be lit

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
One of the plus sides of self-checkout that I've heard some people talk about is for more 'personal' items customers feel self-conscious having a cashier handle during checkout depending on various factors of each party involved. Hygiene products, family planning products, certain OTC meds, etc. A lot still will take cash as an option, too, so you don't even have them showing up on a credit card.

Admittedly, you're being watched by camera and your entire purchase and your face is being captured on video for years and your entire purchase history tracked via facial recognition software and :tinfoil:...

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Outpost22 posted:

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

wizardofloneliness posted:

But Winco makes you suffer the ignominy of bagging your own groceries!!!

The self-checkouts at mine always work fine and people generally know how to use them but unfortunately the store is pretty short staffed because it’s so loving expensive to live here now. So there’s typically only two or three cashiers at a time with massive lines and the self-checkout ends up getting backed up as a result, so it’s not even much faster to use.

Much as I like Winco for having a correct ownership model, they are noticeably dingier and shorter-staffed than the Wal-mart while maintaining similar prices. Frankly the store targets lumpen: the self service checkouts have a button to check your WIC balance.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

StrangersInTheNight posted:

It's a chicken or egg capitalism thing, for whether you think it's worse that menial jobs disappear or whether they should even exist if they can be automated away to free people from doing menial labor for the middle and upper classes.

I'm in the 'we shouldn't be forcing anyone to be doing menial labor to justify their existence' camp. I get that we aren't post-capitalism yet, but keeping menial jobs around to have something to force the elderly and disabled into so they can experience 'the dignity of work' or whatever doesn't feel like the right solution. UBI yesterdayyyy ahhhhh

Nah I've decided blood sports > UBI. A former teacher, will they have what it takes to face THE GAUNTLET and come home unscathed with enough money to feed their family for a month or will the eliminator get their 50th kill?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

the self service checkouts have a button to check your WIC balance.

Something getting shittier: wishing desperate peoples' support systems were harder to use and hidden from the view of proper upstanding citizens

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Pennywise the Frown posted:

100% expected goon response so I'll have to allow it.

*in a 90s sport jacket

GOONS AMIRITE?!?

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Much as I like Winco for having a correct ownership model, they are noticeably dingier and shorter-staffed than the Wal-mart while maintaining similar prices. Frankly the store targets lumpen: the self service checkouts have a button to check your WIC balance.

I think it varies by store; the one in Eureka where I used to live was kind of a pit, while the ones in Vacaville where I work and Sacramento where I live are well-staffed and clean. The Wal-Marts are much much shittier.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Frankly the store targets lumpen: the self service checkouts have a button to check your WIC balance.
Ugh, how gross!!

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Oh that's what those things were for, I'd seen a few rusted out ones by grocery stores before. That entire flickr account is full of neat pics.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

wow you should definitely shop someplace else where your economic class is properly represented and you don't have to see so many poors and recipients of government help. I am very sorry that happened to you. Maybe Yokes/Roths?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

No Bill, don't let Hank take advantage of you like that.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
i don’t think we’ve reached the level of automation where everyone who would want to live a comfy lazy life could. menial labor and exploitation are too fundamental to our consumption economy

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

No Bill, don't let Hank take advantage of you like that.

narrow urethra

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Sentient Data posted:

Something getting shittier: wishing desperate peoples' support systems were harder to use and hidden from the view of proper upstanding citizens

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
menial labor is fundamental to so many processes. its life.

we've just designed a system that corrals and turbofucks the laborers and spits in their eye for being who they are

and rewards garbage individuals who shirk the work as much as possible. sociopaths who get other people to do their chores are the fatty turds that float to the top

and now we have economies built on providing nothing but constant convenience to those sociopaths

"nobody wants to work" is fuckin projection

20 Blunts fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Dec 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
eat like a player though
student loan's due
i'll pay it later though
i'm at the whole foods, shopping cart fulla poo poo
holdin the line up with a grip of WIC checks