Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Currently, it seems like a him thing, but the original version was a weakness implanted in green Martians by the Guardians of the Universe to stop them being super dicks.

Wow, Guardians, great plan. Haven't heard that one before. Good work, two thumbs up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Elissimpark posted:

Currently, it seems like a him thing, but the original version was a weakness implanted in green Martians by the Guardians of the Universe to stop them being super dicks.

Hey, it TECHNICALLY WORKED!

It split the original species, The Burning (Martians) into the Green and White Martians, and yeah the White Martians were almost all super dicks as well, but they were weaker than the Burning Martians because, you know, fire weakness. The only reason the weakness failed in J'onn was he underwent training to overcome his weakness to fire without knowing that oops, that would cause his body to revert to an ultrapowerful superdick and his mind to spawn a new personality to go with it.

This is more 'The Guardians really need to be more on the ball with sharing their information'.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The Guardians should like, workshop this poo poo. If only with each other and maybe Mogo. Imagine all the stuff they did that DIDN'T blow up in their face.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Elissimpark posted:

Wow, Guardians, great plan. Haven't heard that one before. Good work, two thumbs up.

It also applied to the white matians back in Grant Morrison's run too. Batman beats the gently caress out of like three of them by dint of having some petrol and a match.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

site posted:

didn't MM have a fire phobia because it was pstd trigger, not like a species wide thing? like he saw his people consumed by fire by the white martians or something? did i just totally make that up?

IIRC that was what they went with in the JLU cartoon, so that might be where you got it from.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
I always assumed MM was weak to fire because he's from a planet with an atmosphere too oxygen poor to sustain a flame. I probably thought about this too much.

Also Martian Manhunter punching a skyscraper down as a Black Lantern was probably the first comic panel I ever thought was badass.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

UwUnabomber posted:

I always assumed MM was weak to fire because he's from a planet with an atmosphere too oxygen poor to sustain a flame. I probably thought about this too much.

Also Martian Manhunter punching a skyscraper down as a Black Lantern was probably the first comic panel I ever thought was badass.

That's the one where he's grumbling about people never remembering that he's just as strong as Supes, I'm pretty sure. I'd hunt it down, but I'm phone-posting from work.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Green Lantern #44 (2005)

As powerful as Superman, as weak as Green Lantern

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Hey now, 'fire' is a more respectable weakness than 'the color yellow' :colbert:
(That's the one exactly, thank you muchly!)

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Hey now, 'fire' is a more respectable weakness than 'the color yellow' :colbert:
(That's the one exactly, thank you muchly!)

I was thinking more of 'the thing trees are made of and that can be found in almost every house on earth'

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nessus posted:

The Guardians should like, workshop this poo poo. If only with each other and maybe Mogo. Imagine all the stuff they did that DIDN'T blow up in their face.

Sadly Ganthet is the only one who doesn't think that just because a Guardian recommended a plan it must be unbounded genius.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Grendels Dad posted:

Green Lantern #44 (2005)

As powerful as Superman, as weak as Green Lantern

Not to turn this into a debate thread but when was it decided he was as strong as Supes again? Seems like he really shouldn't be?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

evilmiera posted:

Not to turn this into a debate thread but when was it decided he was as strong as Supes again? Seems like he really shouldn't be?

I think it varies wildly whether or not he is depending on the writer.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Also doesn't look like a skyscraper, more like a three story building, minimum. Not all that impressive, J'onn.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Gnome de plume posted:

Also doesn't look like a skyscraper, more like a three story building, minimum. Not all that impressive, J'onn.

What's impressive is that he can do it the same way Superman can do it: Without that poo poo crumbling in his hands. I couldn't even do that with one of the Lego houses my sons build.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."

evilmiera posted:

I always liked the idea that he was probably not as OUTRIGHT powerful as Supes if it just came down to physicality but if Supes has any big few weaknesses psychic poo poo always seems to be one of them. Take close to Superman level strength, add |Professor X level psychic powers and also complete control over body form and "as powerful as Superman" works even if you don't include lifting/punching. It's just a shame that his weakness is pretty prevalent or he wins everytime.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

That's the one where he's grumbling about people never remembering that he's just as strong as Supes, I'm pretty sure. I'd hunt it down, but I'm phone-posting from work.

Yeah that's the one but I remembered it as him punching a much larger building that collapses into its own foot print.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I figure that J'onn's strength level is roughly equivalent to Superman just doing his thing. Like on a day where Superman needs to work at it a bit, put a little effort in, J'onn reaches the same level.

When Supes goes into full on "time to get serious for the sake of the people/race/planet I love mode", I don't think J'onn can nearly match him in strength.

Of course, J'onn has a bunch of other powers to counter him, many of which are just completely insane in terms of how OP they should be. Like the only thing missing from his toolkit is true teleportation, and that's only a technicality thanks to super speed and phasing.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

And I think it's worth noting his entire race could do all of this *all the time*, not just under yellow sunlight like Kryptonians.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
This just popped up on Facebook and felt relevant:

From Super Antics by Kerry Callen.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Dec 11, 2023

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
that's adorable :allears:

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Grendels Dad posted:

What's impressive is that he can do it the same way Superman can do it: Without that poo poo crumbling in his hands. I couldn't even do that with one of the Lego houses my sons build.

Aren't half of Supes' powers (and presumably J'onn's) augmented by subconscious telekinesis, so they're actually applying force all over the building and not just where their hands are? It's the most handwavey backwards explanation ever but I love it.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Party Boat posted:

Aren't half of Supes' powers (and presumably J'onn's) augmented by subconscious telekinesis, so they're actually applying force all over the building and not just where their hands are? It's the most handwavey backwards explanation ever but I love it.

"Tactile telekinesis" was first associated with Superboy (the clone one from Young Justice) as a way of explaining how they had given him superman-like powers.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Pretty much anyone with immense super strength has it, either implicitly or explicitly. Where's the fun in being strong enough to hold up a Pyramid if your hands are just going to bore through it instead.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Lobok posted:

Pretty much anyone with immense super strength has it, either implicitly or explicitly. Where's the fun in being strong enough to hold up a Pyramid if your hands are just going to bore through it instead.

I used to run a superhero TTRPG where I let players could take "Realistic Super-Strength" as a disadvantage. It put major limits on what they could actually lift or throw, regardless of how strong they were, with the side effect of turning super-strength punches from "Getting hit by the front of a Volkswagen Bus" to "What if someone made a captive bolt pistol out of a 12 pound cannon?"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

J'onn is odd in that as written he should basically be one of Earth's top heroes, to the point where the weakness to fire is kind of a balancing factor because he's so absurd.

Dude is shown to be at minimum on par with Superman and Wonder Woman in strength, can shapeshift, turn intangible, is a Jean Grey level psychic, has his own versions of X-Ray and Heat Vision, is supposedly a detective on the level of the Elongated Man/Detective Chimp/Batman types, can fly, heal himself, and more. On almost every level he's at least Superman level if not better than Superman. poo poo, Batman once said "He's basically as good as me and Superman combined."

He's just not popular so he doesn't get that level of heat from the writers.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

One More Fat Nerd posted:

I used to run a superhero TTRPG where I let players could take "Realistic Super-Strength" as a disadvantage. It put major limits on what they could actually lift or throw, regardless of how strong they were, with the side effect of turning super-strength punches from "Getting hit by the front of a Volkswagen Bus" to "What if someone made a captive bolt pistol out of a 12 pound cannon?"

Did that not bog down attempted feats into physics and design debates?

"Ok I lift up the oil tanker to throw it at Dr. Lo--"
"A-bup-bup-bup... where do you lift it from?"
"Uh, from below?"
"Yes but are you sure the PSI of your hands wouldn't go through it?"

*group gathers around a laptop looking at pictures of tanker undercarriages*

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Lobok posted:

"Uh, from below?"

Jokes on you, I'm into that poo poo.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
An entire 5 hour session spent figuring physics calculations for one action made by a strong pc

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Lobok posted:

"Uh, from below?"

The keel splits in the middle breaking the ship in half, now you have tanker sized punching gloves OBVIOUSLY

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Infinitum posted:

The keel splits in the middle breaking the ship in half, now you have tanker sized punching gloves OBVIOUSLY

Right Cross "BOW BEFORE ME"
Left Hook "STERN CORRECTION"

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Phy posted:

That's literally how Final Fantasy XIV would name boss attacks.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

ImpAtom posted:

J'onn is odd in that as written he should basically be one of Earth's top heroes, to the point where the weakness to fire is kind of a balancing factor because he's so absurd.

Dude is shown to be at minimum on par with Superman and Wonder Woman in strength, can shapeshift, turn intangible, is a Jean Grey level psychic, has his own versions of X-Ray and Heat Vision, is supposedly a detective on the level of the Elongated Man/Detective Chimp/Batman types, can fly, heal himself, and more. On almost every level he's at least Superman level if not better than Superman. poo poo, Batman once said "He's basically as good as me and Superman combined."

He's just not popular so he doesn't get that level of heat from the writers.

The dude just prefers sitting around eating Oreos, don't shame him for not saving the world enough!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Phy posted:

drat.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Lobok posted:

"Uh, from below?"

I abstracted it to where if an object was Family Sedan size or larger the player had to make Int checks to find a way to lift/throw it without just tearing pieces off. The Tanker example would be an incredibly difficult Int roll.

Phy posted:

loving amazing!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Toshimo posted:

That's literally how Final Fantasy XIV Darkest Dungeon would name boss attacks.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Daniel Warren Johnson's Transformers is still badass. Issue #3.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Optimus going full EZ-8

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Optimus going full EZ-8

That's not how you challenge someone to a duel! You have to hit them with the other end!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Optimus going full EZ-8

Norris Packard was too well prepared

As they say, forewarned is forearmed