Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

ZearothK posted:

What are the roles for the companions you get in the early game? Like is there anything not covered that's ideal for the Rogue Trader?

For early game companions - while Cassia is an officer you wanna focus her on navigator stuff so that's a great one for the PC to fill. However early in act 2 you get an officer companion.

Argenta is a solid soldier for mid to close range. A PC can be slightly more optimised but tbh I found I don't really need her once other characters get properly online. Early on I used her for AoE but once I got Cassia's damage stuff online I ended up using her for that and Argenta fell off in usefulness imo.

Pasqal is an operator who pretty naturally goes into grand strategist and is great with plasma weapons. Likewise Abelard is a warrior who naturally goes into vanguard. However as a PC you can be more optimised versions of each.

Idira and Henrix are operator and warrior respectively, but also psykers so you may wanna focus on the psyker stuff. Idira has a little AoE damage from the right staffs but her abilities are single target, buffs and debuffs. Henrix meanwhile has buffs and healing but can eventually be a great melee damage dealer.

With that out of the way, if filling early game gaps is your priority:

* Officer is a pretty good choice. For a new player who hasn't spent hours watching guides I think it's a solid first character as I rely a ton on my PC's officer stuff. A buff focused Cassia could fulfil the same role and you do get an officer early in Act 2 so maybe you can wait, but I definitely feel the extra turns he gives out clutched a bunch of battles.

* Snipers are suuuuper good to get in the early game. There's some synergy with both operator and soldier as a sniper, although you can get the elder operator sniper once you're flying around the galaxy in act 2. You can also just give an officer PC a sniper rifle and have him be a solid single target damage dealer after buffs. My own PC is Voidborn noble officer with a sniper rifle and I thought it was great.

* Pyromancer psyker seems a solid pick in that your other psykers don't start with that option. I've seen both melee and ranged versions of them. I reckon either soldier or warrior you can make a solid AoE character and go with a buffer/officer Cassia. I think my second playthrough will be this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

FuzzySlippers posted:

Argenta is great from day 1 with her special bolter. You use run and gun to shoot two bursts that probably killed 3 people and then do her combo to remove the run and gun debuff and get extra buff. Then you use her heroic to fire a bunch more times for free. To get good angles on the bursts to hit multiple people you usually have to move her around rather than stay back in cover like the snipers.

I'm playing on hard so YMMV based on difficulty, but I found early burst guns simply don't have the damage or accuracy to reliably get kills before multiple stacks of Revel, even on the giga weenie popcorn enemies seemingly placed there specifically for that purpose. Argenta having to hit some no name 12 HP heretic goober 3 times with one burst to kill him with her signature bolter with like a 30% accuracy at 5 tiles out and can only fire 3 bursts before needing to reload for 3 AP doesn't spark joy.

This improves enormously with better weapons and QoL talents like Unrelenting Fire and Rapid Reload.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Dec 11, 2023

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Got thru the tutorial :toot: Which of these three missions should I go after first? I'm guessing not the spaceport one.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Nessus posted:

Got thru the tutorial :toot: Which of these three missions should I go after first? I'm guessing not the spaceport one.

I'd recommend the space station because cassia rocks.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I've been playing an Operator as a sniper to kill high value targets because my BS is still only 35 but once you stack a bunch of operations it doesn't matter

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I started looking into this game a bit, and one thing I discovered that the thread hasn't talked about yet is that when the game materials call the Eldar ranger a platonic love interest, that... may depend on your definition of 'platonic.'

Especially in the context of a female PC, methinks the Eldar doth protest too much.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I'm about 6 hours in. It's a good game, but not very fun. Kind of how I felt about WOTR. There's just no charm? In it. I'll def keep playing. hopefully once I level up more, battles won't be such a chore

Barreft fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Dec 11, 2023

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Cythereal posted:

I started looking into this game a bit, and one thing I discovered that the thread hasn't talked about yet is that when the game materials call the Eldar ranger a platonic love interest, that... may depend on your definition of 'platonic.'

Especially in the context of a female PC, methinks the Eldar doth protest too much.

I wonder the percentage in this thread that even knows what you're talking about.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Further Reading posted:

For early game companions - while Cassia is an officer you wanna focus her on navigator stuff so that's a great one for the PC to fill. However early in act 2 you get an officer companion.

Argenta is a solid soldier for mid to close range. A PC can be slightly more optimised but tbh I found I don't really need her once other characters get properly online. Early on I used her for AoE but once I got Cassia's damage stuff online I ended up using her for that and Argenta fell off in usefulness imo.

Pasqal is an operator who pretty naturally goes into grand strategist and is great with plasma weapons. Likewise Abelard is a warrior who naturally goes into vanguard. However as a PC you can be more optimised versions of each.

Idira and Henrix are operator and warrior respectively, but also psykers so you may wanna focus on the psyker stuff. Idira has a little AoE damage from the right staffs but her abilities are single target, buffs and debuffs. Henrix meanwhile has buffs and healing but can eventually be a great melee damage dealer.

With that out of the way, if filling early game gaps is your priority:

* Officer is a pretty good choice. For a new player who hasn't spent hours watching guides I think it's a solid first character as I rely a ton on my PC's officer stuff. A buff focused Cassia could fulfil the same role and you do get an officer early in Act 2 so maybe you can wait, but I definitely feel the extra turns he gives out clutched a bunch of battles.

* Snipers are suuuuper good to get in the early game. There's some synergy with both operator and soldier as a sniper, although you can get the elder operator sniper once you're flying around the galaxy in act 2. You can also just give an officer PC a sniper rifle and have him be a solid single target damage dealer after buffs. My own PC is Voidborn noble officer with a sniper rifle and I thought it was great.

* Pyromancer psyker seems a solid pick in that your other psykers don't start with that option. I've seen both melee and ranged versions of them. I reckon either soldier or warrior you can make a solid AoE character and go with a buffer/officer Cassia. I think my second playthrough will be this.

That's very thorough, thanks!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Cythereal posted:

magnificent hat

hell yeah!

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

While I am enjoying this game for the most part, it has some serious issues. I am enjoying it purely because of the Warhammer-y aspects.

For one, it's so crazy confusing and difficult to navigate the maps, especially if there are objects in the foreground. I'll find myself spinning the camera around and clicking randomly hoping my characters will navigate to a section where I can see where they are just to get my bearings straight.

Second, combat is incredibly fiddly and many aspects of it are not explained well. Sometimes things will just kinda happen that weren't explained or choreographed in any capacity. You'll be running a combat and perform an action that is otherwise perfectly normal, and suddenly your character is dead and you have no way of finding out why or how. There are no logs, you weren't warned this would happen, there was no tutorial for this, it just is.

Because of the camera issues, combat can also be a tremendous pain to navigate visually.

The combat mechanics are fine for the most part, most of the stuff makes sense, but the way they've set up the bonuses and the abilities is absolutely insane. You'll get an ability that is like "When used on an ally, grant 2*(number of Determination Stacks)/(0.5*TB bonus + 0.5*BS bonus)% extra damage to their next attack" and you'll have to choose between that and another ability that does something very similar but slightly different and it's so obtuse and complicated that I just settle on basic upgrades instead. I come from a background of TTRPGs, I've played almost every Warhammer TTRPG there is or has ever been, and none of them have ever been this complicated or difficult to parse.

Also, what psychotic freak thought the "speed up combat" button should be the same as the "skip turn" button?

My biggest gripe with the game however is it feels like certain basic elements weren't designed by designers. It does a terrible job of telling you, the player, what is happening or what you should be doing. There are entire aspects of the UI that I had no idea existed until I stopped to just sit and look at every element on the screen, many of these things, some of them being incredibly crucial, weren't explained at all except perhaps in a 5+ page text-only tutorial.

Here's something that drives me up the wall. If you're not holding down the TAB key, which is something the game only mentions in passing, you will genuinely miss a ton of content. You'll miss items, doors, and other interactables almost completely, because they don't typically highlight on their own unless you're holding down the TAB key. Also, the TAB key being located where it is on the keyboard makes navigating the map incredibly difficult, because you rotate the map with Q and E, so you either need to constantly take your finger off the TAB key, or adopt a new hand position with your pinky/ring finger on the TAB key so you can hit the Q and E keys with your middle and index fingers.

The user experience of playing the game is severely lacking, and I say this as someone who is literally a software designer and developer. It feels like a really early design that is still in the works. I'm constantly fighting with the UI, the navigation, the system itself and the way it presents information to me.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Dec 11, 2023

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I agree about the abilities for the most part. If it has a weird equation in it, I generally avoid it and pick something like "Strength +10".

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Verisimilidude posted:

There are no logs, you weren't warned this would happen, there was no tutorial for this, it just is.

There is a combat log though? Unless you mean its not detailed enough. You can click on the individual events in the log to get slightly more details

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Verisimilidude posted:

While I am enjoying this game for the most part, it has some serious issues. I am enjoying it purely because of the Warhammer-y aspects.
complaints about keyboard navigation

You use TAB to highlight and the mouse to scroll and rotate the screen, as has been universally true in CRPGs for decades

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Wow, once Cassia gets up and running my other companions can’t even compete. She does insane damage, controls the battlefield, buffs herself and the party and her dodge is so high she can’t be touched. I’m pretty sure the most efficient way to beat the game is just to make a bunch of Officer characters and feed her extra turns.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Relevant Tangent posted:

You use TAB to highlight and the mouse to scroll and rotate the screen, as has been universally true in CRPGs for decades

I stand corrected, you can rotate the screen by holding down the middle-mouse button, something I genuinely didn't know you could do, and isn't pointed out in the controls menu. Perhaps it's in the controls basic tutorial?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Also like for loot at least you don't need to hold down the tab key, there is so much stuff I miss even TABing a lot but its just all there on the map.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Snooze Cruise posted:

Also like for loot at least you don't need to hold down the tab key, there is so much stuff I miss even TABing a lot but its just all there on the map.

I don't think that's a great solution though. It appears on the map, but sometimes it's hard to spot the exact container you need to click to get the loot, especially with how finicky the camera is.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

The Necrons are the good guys.

I think you mean the Orks? They’re having a grand old time and just want everyone to join in and have fun too.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Verisimilidude posted:

I stand corrected, you can rotate the screen by holding down the middle-mouse button, something I genuinely didn't know you could do, and isn't pointed out in the controls menu. Perhaps it's in the controls basic tutorial?

One weird thing I find in tutorials is they always explain obvious stuff like wasd to move camera and left click to move, but rarely the extra stuff like tab highlighting or camera rotation. I only know those because they're common enough Isometric view controls that I'll try it every time.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Verisimilidude posted:

It's been standard on CRPGs as long as mice with a middle button have existed

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
I'm at the boss fight at what appears to be the end of the first chapter and I am somewhat screwed. It turns out the helpers I conscripted just prior to the fight actually heal the special mobs in the fight. gently caress me.

If you're dogmatic, be wary of demanding help at that point.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Cythereal posted:

This is encouraging I was really afraid GW wouldn't let them go even that far

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Barreft posted:

I'm about 6 hours in. It's a good game, but not very fun. Kind of how I felt about WOTR. There's just no charm? In it. I'll def keep playing. hopefully once I level up more, battles won't be such a chore

For me all the charm comes from classic warhammer 40k silliness, which I think the game accomplishes pretty well.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Relevant Tangent posted:

It's been standard on CRPGs as long as mice with a middle button have existed

This isn't really a good excuse though. WASD and mouse movement are things that have existed for a long time, but they still warrant some kind of description because you need to explain how the game works to a player who has never played these types of games.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I also appreciate that you can't miss anything, any Goods you find but don't click on will be offered to you when you exit an area

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Relevant Tangent posted:

I also appreciate that you can't miss anything, any Goods you find but don't click on will be offered to you when you exit an area

I do appreciate that, however I can't help but feel it was a solution as a response to the confusing navigation/map control rather than solving the issue of the navigation/map control.

I'll take it either way, but it does make exploration feel less important. As long as the item appears on my map does it always get handed to me when I move to another location?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Relevant Tangent posted:

It only applies to enemy drop items, it won't collect any container loot.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm 99% sure Tab was in a tutorial popup. Which i wouldn't consider to be "mentioned in passing".

Game absolutely feels like dogshit a lot of the time though. It's nice more than it's not imo. Maybe I've just played enough of their pathfinder games to inure myself.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Give Argenta 5 Strength.

Give Argenta the Heavy Weapons Talent.

Give Argenta a Heavy Bolter.

Continue to feed Argenta Heavy Weapons Talent upgrades.

Argenta go brrrrrrr and waves of dudes fall over, often dead. Best part is it has way better ammo scaling than regular bolters, so you can go burst way more often. Considering the insane number of extra attacks you can get this actually matters. Is she dropping the biggest numbers? Often not. Is she just making entire directions not fight anymore? Yes she is. She is also, occasionally, dropping the biggest number. I don't know if there is a better named Heavy Bolter down the road, but if there is it's going on her. I'm running into regular bolters with twice the damage, but considering the armor and deflection reduction I get off the heavy it's just not worth using them.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I seem to recall the alpha and beta having a lot more Contracts to pump up your colonies, but it seems like those have slowed down to a trickle. Do you get them as you progress the story now, or is there someone I have to talk to?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Further Reading posted:

I'd recommend the space station because cassia rocks.
An excellent call, it was rollicking good fun and reminded me how much I love the navigators as a plot element. Who do I talk to on my ship to heal up people's lingering injuries? Or to get things like medkits and grenades for that matter. I assume they can give me some of that poo poo, considering the Vox minion told me about how many tablecloths I have.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Where can I go grind fights for naval rep? Im in Act 2 and have passed Footfall etc and feel outmatched vs more than 3 Cobras

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Dec 11, 2023

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004

Double Bill posted:

Has anyone else been soft-locked in combat? As in can't do any actions, move or even end turn. It's happened to me a few times now and it's getting annoying.

I had this problem. It was because I was using the toggle object highlight/tab option on toybox. I fixed it by just pressing tab to toggle the highlight off

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Ran into my first game breaking bug, came out of the area where you beat auroa and my rogue trader spawn off map while everyone else could move around freely, and I couldn't leave anywhere because she couldn't group with the rest of the party. Oh well I can just go through that fight again later~

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Somehow I ended up with like 16 warp routs from like four and I have no idea how. Whatever I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth now I have shortcut routes between the three original house planets. Handy.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I have a feeling this game will attract lots of players from the WH40k setting that will be utterly baffled by how it’s a mega crunchy crpg. It’s steeped in bs we’re just used to from decades of it.

Not only is 5e just less crunchy, but BG3 does a dramatically better job on ramping people. Though in fairness its budget was several magnitudes higher and Larian has been at it a lot longer.

Still, any year where BG3 wasn’t released this would probably be my GOTY and it’s a great game. Bring on the crunchy absurdities.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Verisimilidude posted:

For one, it's so crazy confusing and difficult to navigate the maps, especially if there are objects in the foreground. I'll find myself spinning the camera around and clicking randomly hoping my characters will navigate to a section where I can see where they are just to get my bearings straight.

Second, combat is incredibly fiddly and many aspects of it are not explained well. Sometimes things will just kinda happen that weren't explained or choreographed in any capacity. You'll be running a combat and perform an action that is otherwise perfectly normal, and suddenly your character is dead and you have no way of finding out why or how. There are no logs, you weren't warned this would happen, there was no tutorial for this, it just is.

Because of the camera issues, combat can also be a tremendous pain to navigate visually.

The combat mechanics are fine for the most part, most of the stuff makes sense, but the way they've set up the bonuses and the abilities is absolutely insane. You'll get an ability that is like "When used on an ally, grant 2*(number of Determination Stacks)/(0.5*TB bonus + 0.5*BS bonus)% extra damage to their next attack" and you'll have to choose between that and another ability that does something very similar but slightly different and it's so obtuse and complicated that I just settle on basic upgrades instead. I come from a background of TTRPGs, I've played almost every Warhammer TTRPG there is or has ever been, and none of them have ever been this complicated or difficult to parse.

Also, what psychotic freak thought the "speed up combat" button should be the same as the "skip turn" button?

My biggest gripe with the game however is it feels like certain basic elements weren't designed by designers. It does a terrible job of telling you, the player, what is happening or what you should be doing. There are entire aspects of the UI that I had no idea existed until I stopped to just sit and look at every element on the screen, many of these things, some of them being incredibly crucial, weren't explained at all except perhaps in a 5+ page text-only tutorial.

Here's something that drives me up the wall. If you're not holding down the TAB key, which is something the game only mentions in passing, you will genuinely miss a ton of content. You'll miss items, doors, and other interactables almost completely, because they don't typically highlight on their own unless you're holding down the TAB key. Also, the TAB key being located where it is on the keyboard makes navigating the map incredibly difficult, because you rotate the map with Q and E, so you either need to constantly take your finger off the TAB key, or adopt a new hand position with your pinky/ring finger on the TAB key so you can hit the Q and E keys with your middle and index fingers.

The user experience of playing the game is severely lacking, and I say this as someone who is literally a software designer and developer. It feels like a really early design that is still in the works. I'm constantly fighting with the UI, the navigation, the system itself and the way it presents information to me.

Nah

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

FuzzySlippers posted:

Argenta is great from day 1 with her special bolter. You use run and gun to shoot two bursts that probably killed 3 people and then do her combo to remove the run and gun debuff and get extra buff. Then you use her heroic to fire a bunch more times for free. To get good angles on the bursts to hit multiple people you usually have to move her around rather than stay back in cover like the snipers.

Yeah, I found that she got a lot more useful after I got her the Dash soldier power, which lets her move into a solid position right out in the open, burst some fools to bits then run back into cover once she's done with the dakka

Nessus posted:

An excellent call, it was rollicking good fun and reminded me how much I love the navigators as a plot element. Who do I talk to on my ship to heal up people's lingering injuries? Or to get things like medkits and grenades for that matter. I assume they can give me some of that poo poo, considering the Vox minion told me about how many tablecloths I have.

Injuries disappear instantly as soon as you hit the bridge, for no cost or time (in fact, as long as you have access to your ship you can just run back to it after a particularly gruelling fight, then get back to the dungeon). For medkits and grenades, outside of loot the pirates in the damaged ship in the bottom right corner of the sector sell some but you have to give them a lot of junk before they agree to sell them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

They are all solid points imo