Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Grip it and rip it posted:

Oh Bunni was a moron freak?! Who could have guessed

I raised a flag about him being an obvious rereg but I guess nobody bothered to check until now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

FWIW, if you as a mod ask for an alt-check, you're just given a yes or no answer by the Admins with little to no elaboration beyond that.

There were a few times when I was a mod that we had asked for alt checks that came back negative, only to to find out some time later that they were indeed an alt because they slipped up somehow. Also being an alt in itself isn't an issue, only when you're doing it to evade a ban or probe.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I just took issue with the stance of "well its sad if Palestine loses their aid but gotta get rid of Bibi", then saw the rap sheet involved a forum ban from d&d. How do you even do that?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I just took issue with the stance of "well its sad if Palestine loses their aid but gotta get rid of Bibi", then saw the rap sheet involved a forum ban from d&d. How do you even do that?

You have to be a shithead in an indecorous way.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
If netanyahu goes we're just gonna get another calm hitler at the top of the israeli government. There is not a single person with a realistic chance or becoming PM who is interested in stepping on the brakes.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
how do you even click on d&d idgi why would anyone do this

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

maffew buildings posted:

Looking for tabletop role playing game discussion and didn't see Traditional Gamrs.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Zionists have gotten their feelings hurt because Palestinians just won't lay down and die so now we're going to start bringing down the legal apparatus on people who make genocide supporters feel uncomfortable

https://twitter.com/GovKathyHochul/status/1733529147912155425?t=sJVCHD2smERBC5Ufn63d8g&s=19

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

tbf I think he was just making some dumbass hypothetical to try and own Biden or something, I don't think he was "taking a stance" or whatever. You just bit way too hard on it.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Zionists have gotten their feelings hurt because Palestinians just won't lay down and die so now we're going to start bringing down the legal apparatus on people who make genocide supporters feel uncomfortable

https://twitter.com/GovKathyHochul/status/1733529147912155425?t=sJVCHD2smERBC5Ufn63d8g&s=19

All of this because, out of the multitudes of candidate End of Days scenarios proffered over three and a half centuries, the Synod of Hippo canonized one that presupposes a specific secular political backdrop.

Absolutely wild.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Midjack posted:

Looking for tabletop role playing game discussion and didn't see Traditional Gamrs.

Oh damn4real that is a big risk there should be better labelling so nobody else has to experience this

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Just when I thought I was out (of crack pinging my brain) they pull me back in (more crack ping of brain)

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

This comes from college presidents testifying to congress that calling for genocide isn't punishable on campus right? I'm not sure why this is a bad thing? UPenns president resigned as well.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

lightpole posted:

This comes from college presidents testifying to congress that calling for genocide isn't punishable on campus right? I'm not sure why this is a bad thing? UPenns president resigned as well.

As far as I can tell, nobody testified that is wasn't punishable, only that under some conceivable circumstances it wouldn't technically violate bullying and harrassment policies specifically. Most of the testimony I could actually find transcripts of was about how easy it WOULD be to still break those policies.

It's also just notable to see how hard "free speech on campus" crusaders do a 180 when the speech in question is not about trans people or race science.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Muscle Tracer posted:

As far as I can tell, nobody testified that is wasn't punishable, only that under some conceivable circumstances it wouldn't technically violate bullying and harrassment policies specifically. Most of the testimony I could actually find transcripts of was about how easy it WOULD be to still break those policies.

It's also just notable to see how hard "free speech on campus" crusaders do a 180 when the speech in question is not about trans people or race science.

I didn't bother watching the testimony. I still don't have a problem with punishing calls for genocide on campus.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Muscle Tracer posted:

Also notable how the left is seeing the benefits of free speech and the detriments of cancel culture. Shoe on the other foot, etc etc. In some ways I find it actually refreshing; both sides kinda getting a taste of their own medicine. In a sane world this might cause some reconciliation but lol that's not very likely.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

tbf I think he was just making some dumbass hypothetical to try and own Biden or something, I don't think he was "taking a stance" or whatever. You just bit way too hard on it.

:shrug: maybe so, but Poe's law

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Count Roland posted:

Also notable how the left is seeing the benefits of free speech and the detriments of cancel culture. Shoe on the other foot, etc etc. In some ways I find it actually refreshing; both sides kinda getting a taste of their own medicine. In a sane world this might cause some reconciliation but lol that's not very likely.

In what way is the shoe on the other foot, exactly?

To equate these two things--and suggest that "both sides got a taste of their own medicine" as you put it--is to presuppose that the right complaining "we can't say the n word and enshrine second class citizenship for queer people" and the left complaining "the state is criminalizing criticism of the secular state of Israel" are both equally legitimate and acceptable political expressions in the body of shared American values.

Which they trivially are not.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Cancel culture is not about coitizing the government of Israel. In this instance it is anything cancelling anything that prevents the victims of the holocaust from avoiding genocide (ie, anything that is not the express desire of the Israel democratically elected government).

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I think a lot of the reason that I/P becomes hard to separate from US domestic politics discussion is because of the argument from the left--myself very openly included--is that we see parallels between IP and US politics concerning the degrees of legitimacy of various grievances. Whether it's the domestic right -- again this is in my subjective political lens and I absolutely accept that it's slanted -- building a political movement for the 2024 elections around the "question" of trans people's rights or the Israeli state making mountains out of grievances that rapidly shrink to molehill size when contrasted to grievances Palestinians might have in the same domain...

...it's very "same poo poo, different day / continent" through that lens

edit: that's a very bad paragraph-length run on sentence and I'm sorry

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Dec 11, 2023

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Count Roland posted:

I think you should absolutely tell us what you think "cancel culture" is.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

I do not think equating the population of the nation state of israel, with the republican party of America is an intelligent choice. I firmly believe doing that will make you misunderstand a whole lot of everything. Doing equations like (x = the republicans) is what foreigners like me mean when we snark about "american main character syndrome".

This isn't about your poo poo. This is its own poo poo, which is connected to your poo poo, but it works differently from other tire fires.

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 11, 2023

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

maffew buildings posted:

I majored in Political Science, I have brain problems.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

I do not think equating the population of the nation state of israel, with the republican party of America is an intelligent choice. I firmly believe doing that will make you misunderstand a whole lot of everything. Doing equations like (x = the republicans) is what foreigners like me mean when we snark about "american main character syndrome".

This isn't about your poo poo. This is its own poo poo, which is connected to your poo poo, but it works differently from other tire fires.

where am I comparing the two populations

are you sure that I am not very specifically talking about a political rhetorical method that is likely used all across the world to diminish or aggrandize grievances, with two specific instances highlighted here

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Kith posted:

well that problem solved itself

swear to God i thought one of us in dnd asked at some point, maybe they had a VPN policy that they hosed up

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Oy

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010

lightpole posted:

That particular exchange was short, you can watch it and form your own view on it here-> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VtAZBvmzcQ

My view is that Stefanik's 'plan' was to ask them if calling for genocide of jews violates their policies, the various presidents would say "yes" and then Stefanik would point to various chants for intifada or whatever and claim that the universities aren't upholding their policies. Based on that, my takeaway is that Dr. Kornbluth's answer seems fine. I guess she doesn't actually answer Stefanik's original question, but she gets at what Stefanik is trying to pin on her anyway, and a chant for intifada is very different than calling for the genocide of jews in most cases. Obviously there's rare situations where it could be a stalking horse for calling for genocide, but that's not generally how one would understand it.

Dr. Magill and Dr. Gay gave terrible answers to that, though. I think they were worried about falling into a rhetorical trap, and so tried to follow Kornbluth's path, but hosed it up and wound up owning themselves.

To be very clear, I am sure the policy of these schools is to punish calls for genocide on campus and that these people wouldn't be okay with a call for genocide. I think they just tried to avoid Stefanik's framing and it came off terribly.

Muscle Tracer posted:

I guess you could interpret that exchange that way, but almost anyone who sees the exchange isn't going to look at it that way since their answers were so poorly framed. I haven't checked the universities policies, but I'm sure that there is essentially no situation where calling for any genocide doesn't violate their policy. But they framed their answers in such a way that implies that it generally does not become a violation unless there's some sort of aggravating circumstance. Note using CSPANs description-

quote:

"Does calling for the genocide of Jews violate Penn's rules or code of conduct?" Rep. Stefanik asked.

"It is a context-dependent decision," replied UPenn's Elizabeth Magill. "If the speech becomes conduct, it can be harassment."

"'Conduct' meaning committing the act of genocide?" an incredulous Rep. Stefanik asked. "The speech is not harassment? This is unacceptable."

When speech becomes conduct gets complicated, and how that interacts with a private university's policies is debateable, but lawyers still live in the real world and an answer like that is garbage. If I got a question like that and I tried to pull that 'if we imagine a perfectly spherical call for genocide in a vacuum...' type of answer, I'd be getting my rear end chewed by the judge for such a fuckaround answer. The reasonable takeaway from her answer is that a call for genocide isn't conduct in and of itself and until it somehow reaches the point of conduct, it's not a violation. Magill's the president of a university and this in the context of campus protests, so the scenario being envisioned in this questioning is students yelling for the murder of jews during a campus protest. I guess there's other possible scenarios that could happen and involve a university investigation, but it's clear what sort of thing we're talking about here, so why twist ourselves in knots thinking about obscure situations in order to avoid giving a plain answer here?

Then again, Magill's a law professor so she may just have really a fervent, idiosyncratic 1st Amendment view like 'speech should never be considered conduct', wtf knows.

quote:

"Does calling for the genocide of Jews violate Harvard's rules on bullying and harassment?" she asked Harvard's Claudine Gay.

"It can be, depending on the context," Ms. Gay responded.

"What's the context?" Rep. Stefanik followed up.

"Targeted at an individual," the Harvard president said.

"It's targeted at Jewish students, Jewish individuals," Rep. Stefanik shot back. "Do you understand your testimony is dehumanizing them? Do you understand that dehumanization is part of antisemitism?"

When you say the context is "targeted at an individual" it certainly implies that a call for the genocide of jews in general isn't a violation as long as you don't have someone specific in mind. I think in her mind, she's analogizing it to something like workplace harassment, but a plain read of the way she answered it implied that as long as you weren't naming specific students, Harvard's okay with it.

At the end of the day, all questions of policy violations are context dependent in some manner, so the obvious answer is "Yes". And if you need to elaborate, "Yes, barring some sort of circumstance like A Modest Proposal type stuff." So when you give answers that look and sound like you're evading what should be a softball question, it seems like you're trying to cover up something pretty bad. It's not good in most situations and especially bad at a public hearing.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Jewish Currents' has had some great podcasts in the last few months. The voices of non-/anti-Zionist Jews don't get a significant place in mainstream discussions, which unfortunately plays into the hands of those who want to make this conflict into one which is essentially Jewish—whether right-wing Israelis advancing ethnosupremacist policies or eclectic antisemites taking advantage of the situation to advance anti-Jewish hatred.

lightpole posted:

I didn't bother watching the testimony. I still don't have a problem with punishing calls for genocide on campus.
That's a misinterpretation of their positions. A misinterpretation being exploited and propagated by ardently right-wing figures who don't give a single gently caress about the wellbeing of Jews as part of a longstanding campaign against freedom of speech and academics.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Google Jeb Bush posted:

swear to God i thought one of us in dnd asked at some point, maybe they had a VPN policy that they hosed up

I'm honestly surprised it's not just general policy at this point to altcheck any new account that immediately starts posting in the politics forums. Like, that'd catch 90% of reregs that aren't the five accounts a day spam guy.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Cugel the Clever posted:

Jewish Currents' has had some great podcasts in the last few months. The voices of non-/anti-Zionist Jews don't get a significant place in mainstream discussions, which unfortunately plays into the hands of those who want to make this conflict into one which is essentially Jewish—whether right-wing Israelis advancing ethnosupremacist policies or eclectic antisemites taking advantage of the situation to advance anti-Jewish hatred.

That's a misinterpretation of their positions. A misinterpretation being exploited and propagated by ardently right-wing figures who don't give a single gently caress about the wellbeing of Jews as part of a longstanding campaign against freedom of speech and academics.

I'm going off NY Democrat Governor Hochuls statement. I didn't bother listening to the testimony so someone has already clarified that.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Dopilsya posted:

My view is that Stefanik's 'plan' was to ask them if calling for genocide of jews violates their policies, the various presidents would say "yes" and then Stefanik would point to various chants for intifada or whatever and claim that the universities aren't upholding their policies. Based on that, my takeaway is that Dr. Kornbluth's answer seems fine. I guess she doesn't actually answer Stefanik's original question, but she gets at what Stefanik is trying to pin on her anyway, and a chant for intifada is very different than calling for the genocide of jews in most cases. Obviously there's rare situations where it could be a stalking horse for calling for genocide, but that's not generally how one would understand it.
Yeah. But I think these university presidents and administrations have gotten themselves into a no-win situation. If they did the classical liberal thing (and the University of Chicago is like this), then they would not take any positions on anything. They'd say "students can have at it, but we're not taking any positions." U of Chicago didn't even take a position on 9/11. They believe that students can say whatever (pretty sure) and it might set your hair on fire, but tough poo poo, that's what a university is for. But a lot of universities started taking positions on stuff, and most of them took positions on Black Lives Matter so you have the University of Poindexter saying they support Black lives, and that's fine. That's not as explosive like Israel-Palestine is.... but they opened the door, and now there are different camps that are demanding the presidents take *their* position, and they're trying to balance the two, but as a result satisfy neither and now heads are rolling.

It also goes back to a bandwagon where universities have adopted a social justice mission. I think it's ultimately nonsense because it's not really about that in the main, but a feel-good wallpaper and way to launder what is, in fact, an increasingly predatory tuition model that leaves students in debt, and their financial-driven donor model. That donor class is also elitist and much more conservative than the students in the main, and now it has blown up in their face because, it turns out, there are students and professors and some administrators -- much to their horror -- who believe in that stuff. It's a problem that elite liberalism is having, it's just more apparent at these elite universities because it's playing out in the open because the students can cause a lot of trouble as they don't yet have to go get jobs at McKinsey and Raytheon, where they're all going anyways.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Dec 12, 2023

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

the endowments are so huge that new donors are statistical noise, a major university president at this point is first and foremost a hedge fund manager

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Haven't seen this posted yet. The Houthis hit a Norwegian ship that was carrying biofuel materials to Italy.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/12/12/tanker-attacked-by-cruise-missile-as-it-traverses-bab-el-mandeb-strait

psydude fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Dec 12, 2023

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The Germans, Dutch, and Danes foiled two separate plots to attack synagogues and other Jewish institutions. The Germans are specifically linking it to Hamas.

https://www.dw.com/en/germany-netherlands-arrest-4-over-hamas-plot/a-67724305

https://www.dw.com/en/denmark-says-4-arrested-over-suspected-terror-plot/a-67723150

quote:

Germany's federal prosecutors' office, based in Karslruhe, said in its statement that the men were in contact "via a close connection" to the "leadership of the military wing of Hamas."

One of the main charges they face is membership of a terrorist organization. Hamas is listed as a terrorist organization by Germany, Israel, the US, the EU and other governments.

But investigators said their arrest was ultimately tied to a prior Hamas cache of weapons designated for potential future attacks on Jewish institutions in Europe.

By early 2023 at the latest, one of the men residing in Berlin had been assigned with finding the underground cache and moving the weapons to the Berlin area, prosecutors allege. The three Berlin-based suspects had reportedly since sought to locate the weapons several times, including with help from the man arrested in Rotterdam.

Investigators said they did not believe the plot had a direct connection to Hamas' October 7 attacks or Israel's subsequent response, instead saying their investigations showed the plans preceded these events.

Investigators in Germany and Europe have been on heightened alert for potential terrorist plots amid the conflict in the Middle East.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
I'm going to say I'll be very dubious about the Danish arrests considering the authorities' refusal to share any details whatsoever beyond "these are really bad people planning bad things, trust us" and insisting on having everything super-double-secret even once it's going to the courts. Doubly so considering that there's been a long-running court case where the Danish intelligence services apparently told someone to infiltrate an Islamist terror group, told him what to do, and then hauled him to court for doing explicitly what he was told.

It may of course turn out that everything is as they claim, but their record isn't stellar enough for me to just trust it out of hand.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I suspect that, when all's said and done, the IDF will end up having killed a significant number of hostages. Was really expecting it to be mostly as a result of bombardment, though...

quote:

IDF Spokesman Rear Adm. Daniel Hagari says during battles in northern Gaza’s Shejaiya this morning, Israeli troops mistakenly identified three Israeli hostages as a threat and opened fire at them, killing them.

Hagari says the IDF bears responsibility for the “tragic incident.”

“This is an area where the soldiers encountered many terrorists, including suicide bombers,” he adds.

Hagari names the hostages as Yotam Haim, who was abducted by Hamas from Kfar Aza, and Samar Talalka, who was abducted from Nir Am. The third hostage was not named following requests by their family.
I guess the IDF is just shooting anything that moves, at this point.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Unfortunately for many, the universe has a sense of humor and Israelis spending time as hostages only to get merc'd by the IDF frothing at the mouth over hostages being taken is exactly the sort of thing it finds funny.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

psydude posted:

The Germans, Dutch, and Danes foiled two separate plots to attack synagogues and other Jewish institutions. The Germans are specifically linking it to Hamas.

https://www.dw.com/en/germany-netherlands-arrest-4-over-hamas-plot/a-67724305

https://www.dw.com/en/denmark-says-4-arrested-over-suspected-terror-plot/a-67723150

They say they foiled the attacks, a Dutch article claims they didn't even have weapons for an attack.

quote:

De Duitse justitie zegt dat een van de vier arrestanten dit jaar op verzoek van Hamas op zoek is gegaan naar een ondergrondse wapenopslaglocatie. Hij zou zijn opdrachten hebben gekregen van Hamas-leiders in Libanon. Drie van de vier mannen gingen volgens justitie meermaals vanuit Berlijn op zoek naar wapens, met als doel het plegen van aanslagen op Joodse instellingen in Europa.

https://nos.nl/artikel/2501581-opgepakte-rotterdamse-terreurverdachte-volgens-duitse-justitie-lid-van-hamas

Another article claims that the Danish/German/Dutch investigation was started after a tip from Mossad.

https://nos.nl/artikel/2501721-terreurverdachte-rotterdam-blijft-in-cel-verbazing-over-hamas-aanslagplan

In all I'm not sure how to feel about this. I don't think the Israeli's are credible as a source and there hasn't been a Palestinian attack in Europe since the 80s(?), but I also think Dutch police did at least some due diligence.

Dance Officer fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 15, 2023

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Dance Officer posted:

They say they foiled the attacks, a Dutch article claims they didn't even have weapons for an attack.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/12/15/denmark-detains-two-people-amid-terror-investigation

quote:

German prosecutors alleged that the three detainees were tasked with finding a previously established underground Hamas weapons cache in Europe. They added: “The weapons were due to be taken to Berlin and kept in a state of readiness in view of potential terrorist attacks against Jewish institutions in Europe.”

I'm sticking with my original verdict of "lmao, you morons, you grabbed a bunch of innocent angry people most likely."

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
The key point from the quote in Dutch is that they didn't manage to find the cache, and in another article it's said that the police didn't either.

quote:

Dat wapendepot zou begin dit jaar zijn aangelegd, om te gebruiken voor aanslagen op Joodse instanties in Europa. Zowel de Palestijnse mannen als de politie zijn er niet in geslaagd het wapendepot te vinden, melden Duitse media.

https://nos.nl/artikel/2501721-terreurverdachte-rotterdam-blijft-in-cel-verbazing-over-hamas-aanslagplan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Dance Officer posted:

In all I'm not sure how to feel about this. I don't think the Israeli's are credible as a source and there hasn't been a Palestinian attack in Europe since the 80s(?), but I also think Dutch police did at least some due diligence.

90s, I think?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_London_Israeli_embassy_bombing

but surely you might understand how europeans are keen to avoid a repeat of the 2015-2017 era:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/January_2015_%C3%8Ele-de-France_attacks
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/November_2015_Paris_attacks
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Brussels_bombings
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Nice_truck_attack
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Berlin_truck_attack
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchester_Arena_bombing
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Barcelona_attacks