Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I just opened this chest yesterday so I don’t think it’s universal at least. Have you tried saving and reloading? I couldn’t interact with Astarion a couple of times and each time a reload fixed it.

yeah, we've reloaded a couple times and come back and its still bugged

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Ginette Reno posted:

I know you can continue if you wipe on honour mode, but do bosses still retain honour mode stuff if you party wipe? Or does it revert to tactician or something?

I just did the owlbear fight as well, and I was a little lazy and didn't rest beforehand so I wasn't at full power spell-wise. I did manage to beat it but took a beating. Was nastier than I was expecting.
Yes, it's supposed to. I did look at the difficulty after dying and reloading and it did still say honor but I deleted the campaign afterward so I didn't confirm lol.

A Moose posted:

yeah, we've reloaded a couple times and come back and its still bugged
Must be some kind of inconsistent thing. I just reach there and I can open that chest just fine.

ChronoReverse fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Dec 11, 2023

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

It can sometimes be a size thing. Lae'zel embiggened with an elixir of the colossus can reach things on walls and shelves that other people in my party can't. Also sometimes you can more objects out of the way to make more room. I've never had trouble with that chest by Alfira though.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Thundarr posted:

It can sometimes be a size thing. Lae'zel embiggened with an elixir of the colossus can reach things on walls and shelves that other people in my party can't.

I do this so I can steal more poo poo off the walls from Moonrise and Cazador's Palace.

I don't need to do it, I just find it very amusing.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

grack posted:

I do this so I can steal more poo poo off the walls from Moonrise and Cazador's Palace.

I don't need to do it, I just find it very amusing.

I make a point to steal as many of Cazador's pictures as possible just to spite him.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
If you steal the Druid idol, do not put it in your stash and then take it out in camp — it turned my entire camp hostile, and I had to kill (then have Withers rez) everyone not in my party. Most tragically, Scratch could not be rezzed.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

What's up with the water queens cellar? Am I supposed to be getting bad vibes from this place because I am

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Shard posted:

What's up with the water queens cellar? Am I supposed to be getting bad vibes from this place because I am

If you’re talking about the Temple of Umberlee donation chamber it feels like something that got cut like the broken puzzle in Cazadors manor

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Okay, all the chosen are down. Just Wyll and Lae'zels things besides what its obviously the final part of the game. I have not had Wyll in my party, and i kinda have no idea how Warlocks work.

Its weird that the Hot Bhaal drops a short sword and a dagger and nether can be used off hand.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

twistedmentat posted:

Okay, all the chosen are down. Just Wyll and Lae'zels things besides what its obviously the final part of the game. I have not had Wyll in my party, and i kinda have no idea how Warlocks work.

Its weird that the Hot Bhaal drops a short sword and a dagger and nether can be used off hand.

what do you mean, both of them very explicitly have seperate magic powers based on which hand you use them in?

The short sword does an extra 7 damage when in the main hand when you attack with advantage; but it effectively gives you two weapon fighting style when held in the off hand (and it applies to an offhand hand crossbow, not just that weapon) which is pretty useful if you’re using it with a class that can’t get access to fighting styles (a single class rogue for eg)

The dagger gives vulnerability to piercing damage when held in the main hand (which is pretty powerful) but in the off hand you get +1 AC, and every time someone attacks you and and misses in Melee you get a free attack on them which can apply true strike.

If you’re playing a character with levels of fighter or sword bard, you hold the short sword in the main hand and the dagger in the offhand, if you’re playing a pure rogue you hold the dagger in the main hand and the sword in the off hand.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Dec 11, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Slashrat posted:

That's actually what happens. Petitioners (souls of the dead that have moved on to dwell in their respective afterlives in the Outer Planes) usually don't retain memories of their previous life and at best might simply express strong emotions for something or someone that was important to them in life. In some cases they might even find themselves 'remodeled' by whatever deity holds sway over their afterlife. Non-dwarven worshippers of a dwarven deity might end up getting turned into petitioners that look like the platonic ideal of a dwarf for example.

That really simplifies the duscussion around Illithid souls to "it doesn't even matter".

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

MarshyMcFly posted:

I just found the night orchid cave in the house of grief but I still can’t gift shadowheart a night orchid! I romanced her and everything. How do I get this stupid trophy?

Ask her to tell more about herself and she should mention that she likes night orchids. If you already romanced her then it might be too late to have that convo.

grinnard
Apr 10, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

If you’re playing a character with levels of fighter or sword bard, you hold the short sword in the main hand and the dagger in the offhand, if you’re playing a pure rogue you hold the dagger in the main hand and the sword in the off hand.

Surely it's always better to have the dagger in the main hand? You can't beat doubling your damage for every strike on an enemy after the first one.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

grinnard posted:

Surely it's always better to have the dagger in the main hand? You can't beat doubling your damage for every strike on an enemy after the first one.

I’m not sure. I’ve always wanted someone to create an online damage simulator for the game where you can plug in gear and stats and stuff and have it work that out. If you get a few enemies on you and you have a high AC it’s a fair few extra hits you get from having the dagger in the off hand. And your character will typically have a bunch of damage riders that won’t be doubled by giving piercing vulnerability.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think if you’re a Swords Bard your ultimate goal is the rapier from Act 3, in which case you probably want to take dueling style anyway. Of course you could always just respec further on down the line.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

I think if you’re a Swords Bard your ultimate goal is the rapier from Act 3, in which case you probably want to take dueling style anyway. Of course you could always just respec further on down the line.

Oh certainly, for a swords bard I wouldn’t be dual wielding. I’m happy enough just using my bonus action to cast healing word or use the bonus weapon action that my weapon has until I get the act 3 rapier. If you’re doing the 2 levels of Paladin for smites you can also trigger smites off of things like pommel strike and other weapon bonus actions.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The legendary action for Adamantine Forge is super challenging for its level and would probably be an Honor Mode killer if throwbarb didn't make a complete mockery of it. Twincast Haste on my Sorc and Karlach and it was Welcome to the Prone Zone. Boy did it feel good finally getting some decent heavy armor for Lae'zel.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Got revenge on the Paladins of Tyr this honour mode go around. Shout out to whoever said to attack Anders first. Fucker smited my Durge to actual need a rez scroll death in the first round though so it wasn’t a sure thing.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I'm unclear on whether the Organ Rearranger effect on the Knife of the Undermountain King only applies to attacks with it specifically, or to all of that character's attack rolls. Either way it's in sword bard/thief/fighter Astarion's off hand and nothing lives long enough for him to have to worry about melee anyway. Unless they know Hold Person I guess, but that's the price you pay for using the Risky Ring.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Honestly I almost got wiped by Anders.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Command: Drop or Disarming Attack will let you wipe Anders, paladins can't smite crap without a weapon. Can be a risky fight but worth it for the sword if you're using Lae'zel. Probably one of the safer options at Level 3.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

exquisite tea posted:

Command: Drop or Disarming Attack will let you wipe Anders, paladins can't smite crap without a weapon. Can be a risky fight but worth it for the sword if you're using Lae'zel. Probably one of the safer options at Level 3.

I give it to Karlach because Lae’zel ends up using the burning sword that you can Command:drop from the demon at the end of the Nautiloid tutorial for like half the game.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
If my character is disarmed, and the weapon is in reach on their turn, there should be an automatic prompt to re-equip that goddamn thing!

This might be more frustrating for me playing on a controller, but grr.

Gith gank squad parrying me constantly AND doing stuff like this is gonna make me side with the mindflayers.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Entropic posted:

I give it to Karlach because Lae’zel ends up using the burning sword that you can Command:drop from the demon at the end of the Nautiloid tutorial for like half the game.

i never thought of doing that, gently caress me

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Entropic posted:

It's not a bad sword to use starting out but if you're still using it by Act 2 you haven't been looking very hard for a new one, even a plain +1 sword is better in most contexts.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Thundarr posted:

I'm unclear on whether the Organ Rearranger effect on the Knife of the Undermountain King only applies to attacks with it specifically, or to all of that character's attack rolls. Either way it's in sword bard/thief/fighter Astarion's off hand and nothing lives long enough for him to have to worry about melee anyway. Unless they know Hold Person I guess, but that's the price you pay for using the Risky Ring.

That effect applies to ALL attacks! It also stacks with other items that lower the number you need to get a crit. IIRC there's a bow and an elixir as well so you can get a crit on a 17+

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Entropic posted:

Uhh...not the Githyanki Greatsword from the Creche? That's like, the second best weapon in the game for her.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The Everburn Blade is nice to have early on but it's not quite as OP as you might think because it has no weapon enchantment and is essentially just a permanent 1d4 fire damage added to a regular 2H sword. Convenient but there are other ways of making that happen.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Thundarr posted:

I'm unclear on whether the Organ Rearranger effect on the Knife of the Undermountain King only applies to attacks with it specifically, or to all of that character's attack rolls. Either way it's in sword bard/thief/fighter Astarion's off hand and nothing lives long enough for him to have to worry about melee anyway

It applies to everything that character can do that can crit. Attacks, ranged attacks, spells, you name it. that’s one of the reasons it often doesn’t make the cut for a dual wielding melee character - there are other better weapons by act 3 for that specifically, but knife of the undermountain king has a great passive effect for a dual wielding wizard or sorcerer for eg.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

Uhh...not the Githyanki Greatsword from the Creche? That's like, the second best weapon in the game for her.

nah, the second best 2h weapon in the game is Voss’s sword from Act 3. The best of course is Balduran’s greatsword.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

So, Karlach's portrait in my current run is just broken. I leveled her up, and when I came out of the screen her portrait is now just pitch black and you can see a tiny bit of her eyes, that's it

Reloading/resting doesn't seem to fix it. Is there a way to trigger it to reload? Didn't seem like changing her gear made it happen but then again I have her helmet hidden so maybe that's why..

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Weird Pumpkin posted:

So, Karlach's portrait in my current run is just broken. I leveled her up, and when I came out of the screen her portrait is now just pitch black and you can see a tiny bit of her eyes, that's it

Reloading/resting doesn't seem to fix it. Is there a way to trigger it to reload? Didn't seem like changing her gear made it happen but then again I have her helmet hidden so maybe that's why..

Try respeccing her. That usually fixes it.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Try changing her armor and respecing her.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Where do you get that Greatsword?

And I was sure both of Hot Bhaals weapons were main hand only, because they say main hand only and when I tried to put the dagger in asterions offhand it wouldn't let me. Though thinking about it, drag and dropping gear to slots sometimes just straight up doesn't work.

If I had a Nicole for every time a Voss died to physic feedback I'd have two cents. Get hosed Gortash.

For future games, how often do I need to feed Gaels habit? I never gave him a magic item to snort so he hosed off before getting to the city, and that apparently locked me out of a bunch of content so I want to avoid that in future games.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

twistedmentat posted:

For future games, how often do I need to feed Gaels habit? I never gave him a magic item to snort so he hosed off before getting to the city, and that apparently locked me out of a bunch of content so I want to avoid that in future games.

He takes 3 items total, and there's tons of items in act 1 that are basically worthless you can give him.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Yeah to be clear you can give him any random green item, it doesn’t need to be valuable

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
Gale is supposed to eat just three items. I'm not sure I even got to that number before his plot progressed past it, or at least he hasn't asked for more :shrug:

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Command: Drop is good for 100% of the game and will help you steamroll the Gnolls, Githyanki, and pretty much any encounter as long as the target doesn't save. You can save yourself so much misery by simply disarming every threat.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Horace Kinch posted:

Command: Drop is good for 100% of the game and will help you steamroll the Gnolls, Githyanki, and pretty much any encounter as long as the target doesn't save. You can save yourself so much misery by simply disarming every threat.

a warning though, trying to hold, command, fear, hypnotize etc Anders has like a 25% chance of working because of his aura giving him something stupid like +4 to saving throws. Prepare to save scum or have a backup plan when it doesn't work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

My backup plan is usually just to hit the thing until it dies.