Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
With relic of the chronomancer, firebrand runes and Haste, open world condi specter IS pretty fun. Absolutely not an intsanced PvE build though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Just got this cele burn holosmith build video recommended to me on Youtube. Man, that looks fun as hell. Lots of action, but not in the awful, carpal tunnel grenade spam way. Gameplay kinda looks like a mix of engie, thief, and warrior. Holosmith never quite clicked for me, but this is really tempting me to pick it back up.

My best outfit works best as a sword holosmith anyway, so I need to do it justice.

gandlethorpe fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Dec 9, 2023

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Did a thing over the weekend :toot:

RIP my bank and storage, but at least it's over

Now to hide the orbs of shame and onto the amulet

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Congrats!

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

I'm eyeing HOPE and after doing Astralaria, I don't know if I have it in me to do another gen 2 legendary that has a collection. On the other hand, I only have Quip, and while yeah sure I'm glad to have a legendary pistol, god drat do I want HOPE.

Someone gas me up and or convince me that the collection for HOPE isn't all that bad.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

I have HOPE, and I don't recall the collection being that painful. Aside from tier 2 being a dull and costly material sink, like any legendary collection.

It might even be a lot easier nowadays. Most of it involves killing champions and bosses, and powercreep has made that easier to breeze through.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
I transferred to EU from NA as an experiment, and while my Pacific Time Zone doesn’t sync up with EU peak playing hours, I’m shocked by how active LFG has been. I heard EU had a lot more activity going on, and I was pleasantly surprised to find out that's true: strikes, raids, fractals, open world metas, I'm seeing a lot of people advertising.

Please don't bite my head off, but so far, EU players seem more experienced in pugs, follow mechanics, etc - that's nice. Sweeping generalizations are bad, I realize, so I'll try to play for a month to learn more, this was just my initial impression. I'm sure all servers have bad players, I'm less worried about that, and more concerned that NA is afraid/reluctant to use the LFG system or tag up. It makes finding pug activity more challenging.

My ping is 160 on average, which isn’t terrible. So far so good.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Dec 11, 2023

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

gandlethorpe posted:

onto the amulet

you're probably like 80% done with the one from "return to" achievements after doing vision and aurora :v:

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Jedah posted:

My ping is 160 on average, which isn’t terrible. So far so good.

I live 20 minutes from the Anet offices, and that's what my ping in NA is.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

gandlethorpe posted:

Did a thing over the weekend :toot:

:parrot: Good work :parrot:

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

binge crotching posted:

I live 20 minutes from the Anet offices, and that's what my ping in NA is.

That's wild. I'm lucky, 160-200 average ping for EU is better than I'd expected. EU has been cool. We did the Kaineng Overlook NM strike with a training group of only 7 players (!), I was comm, explained the mechanics, and in one attempt we cleared it. Just a random pug and it was totally fine. I've never had that kinda success on NA with a small group of randoms.

Totally unrelated, but MightyTeapot has basically quit GW2 as his main MMO and is playing WoW retail. I think he'll make videos about GW2 from time to time, as a side game, since he's still partnered. That's been weird to see, Teapot was one of the biggest reasons I got into this game.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Dec 12, 2023

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Makes sense though, Teapot is focused on competitive PVE and GW2 hasn't touched raids in years. Strikes give some of that feeling but it sounds like they aren't as difficult these days?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Eltoasto posted:

Makes sense though, Teapot is focused on competitive PVE and GW2 hasn't touched raids in years. Strikes give some of that feeling but it sounds like they aren't as difficult these days?

I haven't done many CMs but everyone I know who does tells me Harvest Temple CM is arguably the hardest encounter in the game, moreso than any raid CMs

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Is there still a goon guild and people chatting under the tag? I picked this up about a month ago and I'm pretty trash probably but really enjoying myself. Just running through the story in order so I'm probably going to be late to the party for newer content for a long time.

Or if there isn't a goon guild anyone have any recommendation for chill dudes to get in with that don't mind a new player fumblefucking through content for a bit while they learn? I've never done any content outside of open world and joining a LFG for fractals or strikes or anything like that terrifies me since I don't have 10 years of GW2 game knowledge on my MMO resume. I probably make it sound like its worse than it is, but when I join up on something I just don't get all the GW2 specific lingo and don't have a skyscale to zip through poo poo at ultra fast speeds while they do a map meta.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Eltoasto posted:

To add to this, Season of Discovery is going on in WoW and that's brought a lot of players back.

Teapot shelving GW2 doesn't mean he thinks it's bad or worse (in case anyone thought this, which he has had to address in the past), it's just that GW2's model allows people to (gasp) play other MMOs between releases easily.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Jedah posted:

Totally unrelated, but MightyTeapot has basically quit GW2 as his main MMO and is playing WoW retail. I think he'll make videos about GW2 from time to time, as a side game, since he's still partnered. That's been weird to see, Teapot was one of the biggest reasons I got into this game.

He will probably still cover important stuff but yeah. One thing I don't get though is why it took him so long. It has been obvious for years GW2 would never become a pve competitive game or release a raid wing every 6 months while modern WoW has been cutting edge competitve practically since TBC (or at least since Legion, depends on how you define it I suppose).

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Givin posted:

Is there still a goon guild and people chatting under the tag? I picked this up about a month ago and I'm pretty trash probably but really enjoying myself. Just running through the story in order so I'm probably going to be late to the party for newer content for a long time.

Or if there isn't a goon guild anyone have any recommendation for chill dudes to get in with that don't mind a new player fumblefucking through content for a bit while they learn? I've never done any content outside of open world and joining a LFG for fractals or strikes or anything like that terrifies me since I don't have 10 years of GW2 game knowledge on my MMO resume. I probably make it sound like its worse than it is, but when I join up on something I just don't get all the GW2 specific lingo and don't have a skyscale to zip through poo poo at ultra fast speeds while they do a map meta.

Goon squad in the OP is still active. SFD has been very quiet since they stopped their weekly raids, but occasionally someone pops on.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Uhhh so I was going through backpack skins I wanted, and Googling the Green quaggan backpack skin led me to find this reddit post :

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/14ligys/green_plush_quaggan_backpack_cover_giveaway_on/

6 month old post about an alienware giveaway for the backpack skin, still works, got a code and all, figured it'd be worth posting here if anyone else wants a green diseased son on their back

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Wintersday is on!
Can you get the bierstein hat again? Wintersday is the one festival I'm almost always too busy to do.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

Wintersday is on!
Can you get the bierstein hat again? Wintersday is the one festival I'm almost always too busy to do.

You forge 50 Eggnog, a Snow Diamond, a Sigil of Mischief, and a Gift of Wood. I don't think it even needs to be Wintersday to do this.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mug_of_Eggnog

Truga posted:

you're probably like 80% done with the one from "return to" achievements after doing vision and aurora :v:

Yeah, I pretty much only have to redo story quests for LS3/4. Then it's just doing some stuff from IBS chapters that I haven't touched, mainly EotN and Champions.

I finished the last of LS2 achievement last night, culminating in that awful Skritt JP. I dunno what made me want to die more, the JP itself or the corporate buzzwords it parodies. Glad I never have to set foot in either of those maps again.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

gandlethorpe posted:

I finished the last of LS2 achievement last night, culminating in that awful Skritt JP. I dunno what made me want to die more, the JP itself or the corporate buzzwords it parodies. Glad I never have to set foot in either of those maps again.

It's really fast with a skyscale now. You still have the 9 or 10 checkpoints so you can't just skip to the end, but with mounts now it doesn't take long at all.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

wow revenant is cracked

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

binge crotching posted:

It's really fast with a skyscale now. You still have the 9 or 10 checkpoints so you can't just skip to the end, but with mounts now it doesn't take long at all.

It's more that fact that it's not intuitive in the slightest, incredibly long, and even forces trial and error to figure out. Unless I missed something, there's even a part where you have to go through a specific sequence of portals and picking one wrong sends you back to start of the section. Checking a guide to see where to go every 5 seconds is not fun to me, and I'm not spending an hour trying to figure that out on my own for 2 greens and some empyreal fragments. I do appreciate that they didn't disable mounts, though, because I honestly think missing a jump and dying 90% of the way through would be enough to make me uninstall.

Meowywitch posted:

wow revenant is cracked

I really want to get into revenant because I like its mechanics and aesthetic, but its weapons never clicked for me apart from hammer (and dual swords to a much lesser extent). It seems like WvW is the only place hammer is good, and I'll take my rev there the rare times I'm in a WvW phase. But it'd be nice to find an open world build I enjoy.

Their weapon options just seem so sparse to me. Staff is a utility weapon. Sword/sword and mace/axe might as well be two-handers, because it doesn't look like you can mix and match them. Shortbow is aesthetically cool, but I'm not a huge fan of condi. Shield is shield. And greatsword, to me, lacks flavor compared to the other weapons. To be fair, I never gave vindicator a fair shot, so maybe I'll actually like it if I try it.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
You can mix and match sword axe mace on rev but you wouldn't want to, but that's not a dig on revenant; that's just how you can't really mix a condition weapon with a power weapon set. It's the same for any other class that can use one-handed weapons. Like necro scepter focus or axe torch or guardian mace torch or ranger dagger axe - you don't usually want to split your damage types.

Swords are cool and good for power DPS and you can do a lot of damage by spamming 2 and 4 iirc, but you can use a great sword instead if you are the best race (asura) and do cool flips and poo poo when you attack.

For condi mace axe or shortbow are the defaults.

Staff is mostly there for some dedicated healing or more generally as a CC weapon with the rush ability

Apparently scepter is like a one-handed great sword lightsaber which sounds cool.

Hammer is kind of meh for general pve use.

Rev underwater attacks are cool and good though if that helps.

Also shield is a thing too but I haven't seen a rev use a shield in a long time.

I think a lot of it is digging the elite spec..base rev is balls, but herald makes you a boon powerhouse friend with a million utility, and vindi can turn you almost unkillable. Renegade is cool too but it used to be better.

Edit: I don't really know where I was going with this post but I started typing and here we are.

LordAdakos fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Dec 13, 2023

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Personally I just use shortbow for range on Rev no matter what, as it's decent damage and feels much better to me. It would have been nice for the Scepter to be ranged, but I don't think anyone will complain as long as it's barrier generation is so bonkers.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

LordAdakos posted:

Also shield is a thing too but I haven't seen a rev use a shield in a long time.

Semi AFK tagging boon builds will slap on a shield because blasting heals out adds to the number of people assisted since heals will potentially hit extra people.

ghost story
Sep 10, 2005
Boo.
Wintersday is upon us goons.

As always - if you haven't already completed For the Children! chevo that gives you a gobbler and a wintersday tree for your home instance (presents all year round!) - https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/For_the_Children! - highly recommend that.

Orphan farm Karma farm - give wrapped gifts to orphans around DR daily. It isn't as good this year as normally you'd get the things you need for dirt cheap off the tp. Now you just get them using karma - so you're spending karma for the wrapping paper + the item. Still good, just not as bountiful crop as previous years.

Here is last year's Wintersday guide - https://guildjen.com/wintersday-festival-achievements-guide/ - it shouldn't be too different this year.

Noteworthy is that there are a ton of cosmetic items in the gemstore, a lot of things that haven't been in the shop for a while or even years. It seems like 20% off is pretty much the running rate for everything. But it is worth checking out if there is a thing you've been missing/wanting as ... the list goes on for a very long time.

And there is now a plushy skyscale. It squeaks and shoots confetti.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

ghost story posted:

And there is now a plushy skyscale. It squeaks and shoots confetti.
Oh no, my money.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

LordAdakos posted:

Also shield is a thing too but I haven't seen a rev use a shield in a long time

shield got some decent buffs and heal herald uses it now along with mace for might blastin

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

orcane posted:

Oh no, my money.

Yeah... I don't know if I can reasonably resist this one.
I have the Cyberscale and, while I love the look of it, some of the effects get annoying.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Oh here comes the hero to save the day, riding in on a loving stuffed animal.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Eltoasto posted:

Mr. Neutron posted:

He will probably still cover important stuff but yeah. One thing I don't get though is why it took him so long. It has been obvious for years GW2 would never become a pve competitive game or release a raid wing every 6 months while modern WoW has been cutting edge competitve practically since TBC (or at least since Legion, depends on how you define it I suppose).

ApeHawk posted:

To add to this, Season of Discovery is going on in WoW and that's brought a lot of players back.

Teapot shelving GW2 doesn't mean he thinks it's bad or worse (in case anyone thought this, which he has had to address in the past), it's just that GW2's model allows people to (gasp) play other MMOs between releases easily.

You're all right, it does make sense for Teapot to switch to WoW retail or just an MMO with a heavier end-game focus. I dunno, I've considered WoW and retail, but the mount system and the combat system in GW2 are just so drat good. To be able to do cool poo poo on your mounts, jade bot boost, fly around the map, glide, etc - the amount of freedom, the snappiness of traveling around, just how smooth the mounts are in GW2 is incredibly hard to beat. As weird as that might sound, I think that's the reason I'm hooked.

The Griffon is insanely cool, I'm still learning little mount tricks, how to improve flying, it's like a mini-game. Whoever designed the mount system and their movement skills deserves an award.

That new plush Skyscale is "take my money" levels of cute, it's up there with plush Turtle.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Dec 13, 2023

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Jedah posted:

You're all right, it does make sense for Teapot to switch to WoW retail or just an MMO with a heavier end-game focus. I dunno, I've considered WoW and retail, but the mount system and the combat system in GW2 are just so drat good. To be able to do cool poo poo on your mounts, jade bot boost, fly around the map, glide, etc - the amount of freedom, the snappiness of traveling around, just how smooth the mounts are in GW2 is incredibly hard to beat. As weird as that might sound, I think that's the reason I'm hooked.

Doesn't sound weird to me. In the few minutes I've played of WoW and FF14, the rigid feel of character controls was an instant no for me.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Without just going on a 20 pages rant about MMOs, all the MMOs that are still alive in the west are good at what they do and appeal to a certain kind of audience, and I don't personally hesitate to switch around when I want something else or a different experience.

Inzombiac posted:

Yeah... I don't know if I can reasonably resist this one.
I have the Cyberscale and, while I love the look of it, some of the effects get annoying.

Same. What did me in and made me get the plush skyscale was that the wings aren't ginormous, that is a huge plus to me

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Reoxygenation posted:

Without just going on a 20 pages rant about MMOs, all the MMOs that are still alive in the west are good at what they do and appeal to a certain kind of audience, and I don't personally hesitate to switch around when I want something else or a different experience.

Same. What did me in and made me get the plush skyscale was that the wings aren't ginormous, that is a huge plus to me?

Yeah, I play GW2, WoW, FF14 randomly. They're all totally different and not true competitors for one another.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

yeah id still be playing GW2 and FFXIV side by side if i could justify the sub fee for the latter in my current situation. love the narrative and spectacle in 14 but once you're caught up and doing roulettes it starts to feel really grindy.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

gandlethorpe posted:

Doesn't sound weird to me. In the few minutes I've played of WoW and FF14, the rigid feel of character controls was an instant no for me.

That's so funny, I felt exactly the same way in FF14, I got that instant no feeling. Also makes me feel like I judged the game too quickly, like it might be a slow burn where 50-100+ hours in, things come online and get much better.

Hot take about Season of Discovery: while I think it's cool Blizzard is doing this experiment - I just can't bring myself to plodding around again at super slow run/walk speed, you know? Suffering through 10+ minutes of travel to get somewhere. After having access to the Beetle/Griffon/Skyscale, I've been spoiled. Maybe I'll try SoD once the level cap is 40 and players can use mounts.

Reoxygenation posted:

Same. What did me in and made me get the plush skyscale was that the wings aren't ginormous, that is a huge plus to me

It's a wise investment, it's like 11/10 cuteness. The confetti dragon breath is just a cherry on top.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Jedah posted:

Hot take about Season of Discovery: while I think it's cool Blizzard is doing this experiment - I just can't bring myself to plodding around again at super slow run/walk speed, you know? Suffering through 10+ minutes of travel to get somewhere. After having access to the Beetle/Griffon/Skyscale, I've been spoiled. Maybe I'll try SoD once the level cap is 40 and players can use mounts.

Classic/SoD/Ascension are really not actually meant to be played as a real competitor. FFXI is essentially a museum dedicated to old MMOs, but SoD and Ascension (and Classic, since the difficulty is nothing now that everyone knows everything about it and are good at video games) are designed to be like a fun night at a museum with alcohol and a dance floor.

GW2 is categorically funner but some people want to enjoy an old-school MMO where you'll probably die from fighting two guys at the same time and you need to literally run for 40 minutes through dangerous areas in order to get to a major town.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I would legit love a game/MMO where you could run and protect a caravan for an hour.

Make the attacks/obstacle random and have maintenance stuff that needs to be addressed in the downtime. Hell, sometimes have nothing happen and just chat.

I think ArchAge tried something like this but lololol that game folded pretty quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

I have a confession to make : this wintersday is the real first time I've ever interacted with an event in GW2, that wasn't run around in the halloween maze. In 11 years.

I have made so much god damned money. What the gently caress have I been doing. They're not even that bad. (though to be fair I usually am not playing when a festival is on!!)

In other news, I have been messing with thief lately, and I kinda wish the elite specs fed more into the class fantasy. Daredevil is ok with a staff and a power build, but the closest I've felt to a sneaky thief, like an actual thief, is using a condition build with Deadly Arts / Shadow Arts / Trickery for survivability. Like, well specter is fun, but it's not thief-y, and god do I hate that the daredevil rifle does not pierce on every skill, makes it kinda miserable to use. I also don't like maleficent seven, and any build without it just does not feel like the spec is worth playing - at all. Kinda depressed but also funny to run around as a core thief, I guess!

(I should specify that this is purely for open world, I have no particular opinion on instanced pve builds for thief)