Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
You basically condemned them all to die of AC-related maladies anywhere from 30 to 60 years in the future. Disgusting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Does that building only have one AC switch that controls all ACs in the building? That sounds like a terrible idea. And like that kind of AC that actually does spread germs, even though most sane setups don't.

ACs making people sick is a pretty common meme in a lot of places.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

VictualSquid posted:

Does that building only have one AC switch that controls all ACs in the building? That sounds like a terrible idea. And like that kind of AC that actually does spread germs, even though most sane setups don't.

ACs making people sick is a pretty common meme in a lot of places.

Yes, it did only have a single switch. I did a bunch of reading at the time on whether there was anything to the idea that AC makes people sick and there's no reliable science behind it. If there was, there'd be flu epidemics in places like the American Southwest in summertime.

The offending phenomenon for the Greeks was specifically getting cold air on your neck, what they call ψύξη στον αυχένα, or most of the time just "psixi." This is also the reason that lots of Greeks don't drive around with AC on or the windows down soon after they've been swimming.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yeah, that's annoyingly common, every time the AC season comes and our office building turns it on, everybody starts pissing and moaning like they are being tortured to death by this barely noticeable stream of air touching their necks. Of course talk of imminent illness and chronic invalidism follows soon.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

MeinPanzer posted:

Yes, it did only have a single switch. I did a bunch of reading at the time on whether there was anything to the idea that AC makes people sick and there's no reliable science behind it. If there was, there'd be flu epidemics in places like the American Southwest in summertime.

The offending phenomenon for the Greeks was specifically getting cold air on your neck, what they call ψύξη στον αυχένα, or most of the time just "psixi." This is also the reason that lots of Greeks don't drive around with AC on or the windows down soon after they've been swimming.

Crazy, cold air on your neck causes stiff necks, not colds. Colds are caused by cold air on your feet, or breathing dry air from an air conditioner.
Every German knows that.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

VictualSquid posted:

Crazy, cold air on your neck causes stiff necks, not colds. Colds are caused by cold air on your feet, or breathing dry air from an air conditioner.
Every German knows that.

It's all good until the cold air gets to your kidneys - then you are basically a dead man walking.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Every European turns into a medieval doctor the moment they do anything involving swimming or AC.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

MeinPanzer posted:

Every European turns into a medieval doctor the moment they do anything involving swimming or AC.

Someone should make a politically loaded map about all those stereotypes.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Space Kablooey posted:

you know that doormats have an actual function right

Yeah they're to get the rest of the snow and/or most of the poo poo off your shoes before you go inside.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Dec 10, 2023

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
if fan death did not exist, it would be necessary to invent it

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

MeinPanzer posted:

A Greek guy who had a PhD actually explained to us that it was in fact unhealthy to have AC on because it circulated all the germs inside the building (!).
This was actually a thing in the past, and an improperly maintained AC system can still cause it today. There's an expansive amount of technical guidelines dealing with this problem.

In the past (and also today) many AC systems in office buildings would work with air washers: You basically blow the air through a continuously circulating water curtain fed by a pool of water directly under the water nozzles:

The problem was that they would turn them off on Friday, let it sit over the weekend and then turn it on again on Monday. This gave germs - especially legionella - time to grow and then be spread everywhere when the AC was turned on again. This was obviously worse, the longer the air washer would be turned off - over a long weekend, after holidays, etc.

It takes quite a lot of effort in order to decontaminate the water. This can be done through UV light, chemicals, pure water produced through reverse osmosis, etc. At Frankfurt airport they have a full time chemist just for constantly changing the chemical makeup of disinfectants in order to kill all the stuff in the water they didn't want growing.

I have seen some air washers where you could very definitely tell that you didn't want to be anywhere near where that air was going.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Going back to the point access Vs required corridor conversation, it doesn't seem like the double loaded corridor requirements are actually getting you much in return for all their costs. You can't tell from the scale on this map but the fire death rate in the USA is more than double that of Spain.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Zimbabwe can't catch a break

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I'm sure there are no other factors contributing to that though, such as other building codes, lack of enforcement and material selection in smaller buildings. If you have load bearing drywall, it's gonna burn a lot better than the bricks I'm living in.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

distortion park posted:

Going back to the point access Vs required corridor conversation, it doesn't seem like the double loaded corridor requirements are actually getting you much in return for all their costs. You can't tell from the scale on this map but the fire death rate in the USA is more than double that of Spain.

Nobody in Spain has ever considered heating their homes apparently so that may also contribute

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Valiant action by the east and west soda fronts to liberate the encircled soda pocket from the forces of coke and pop.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Disappointing. Next, we'll abandon kleenex and band-aid.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

dublish posted:

Disappointing. Next, we'll abandon kleenex and band-aid.

What's the non-brand name for those? I mean, I say lommeletter and plaster, but that's because I speak a different stupid language.

Gonna guess the sample size for pop vs soda vs coke was a lot lower in 1947. But I'm also disappointed that it doesn't look like there's a weird German enclave saying sprudelwasser.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

BonHair posted:

What's the non-brand name for those? I mean, I say lommeletter and plaster, but that's because I speak a different stupid language.

Gonna guess the sample size for pop vs soda vs coke was a lot lower in 1947. But I'm also disappointed that it doesn't look like there's a weird German enclave saying sprudelwasser.

tissue and bandage but I don't think we'll start saying those anytime soon

coke going away makes more sense because people drink a lot more things that aren't coke but are soda/pop

pop going away makes sense because America's two cultural powerhouses are both soda territory

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Pretty sure that map is a joke about Palestine.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

The incredible shrinking Coke

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

It's cold!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

VictualSquid posted:

It’s sort of right in a roundabout way.

It’s not that the air conditioner is actively spreading germs, it’s that outdoor air coming in through open window dilutes airborne germs.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Dec 10, 2023

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
Just to bring it back to shoes on/off indoors, as a Canadian I come down firmly in the shoes off indoors camp, but this has always made sense to me in the same way that washing your hands after going to the bathroom does.

When you walk around outside, you are dragging your shoes through all kinds of stuff and a lot of it is dirty. On the other hand, you can control the interior of your home and keep it as clean as you like. Taking your shoes off at the door is just a simple way to keep both the grime and the germs of the outside world away from your home. Is the interior of my home always cleaner than every place I walk outside? Not necessarily; but I clean the interior of my home regularly, so at least I know roughly what germs I'm coming into contact with. It's just a logical place to draw a shoe/no shoe distinct.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

But do you bathe in the morning or at night?

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Canada has the snow explanation, but also it's just that little bit more civilized compared to other english speaking nations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I presume the reason the Nordic's 1st choice isn't English is because they're all already fluent?

Platystemon posted:

But do you bathe in the morning or at night?

i refuse to believe this is accurate.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

distortion park posted:

I presume the reason the Nordic's 1st choice isn't English is because they're all already fluent?

In the Duolingo app there’s a little loading blurb “advertising” that Swedish is the most popular language choice in Sweden, and they say it’s largely fuelled by refugees there.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Wow this is the most gently caress you, colorblind person map I've seen in a while. French/Chinese, Finnish/Italian, Portuguese/Swedish, German/English/Hindi are indistinguishable. I think I can tell Arabic apart from French/Chinese if Pakistan is the only country. Somalia might be too?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Yeah Somalia is also Arabic dark purple, and that’s it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

distortion park posted:

Too pessimistic / too optimistic?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

distortion park posted:

Completely made up data are the bread and butter of those types of maps. As usual you can spot a fake map when Portugal is not the same color as eastern Europe.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

distortion park posted:

How would they use Duolingo if they didn't know English?

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
How do they have data from the dprk, is it just people with vpns and a sense of humor

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

3D Megadoodoo posted:

How would they use Duolingo if they didn't know English?

it would be pretty funny if the company staffed entirely by language learning people didn’t bother to localize their app

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tree Goat posted:

How do they have data from the dprk, is it just people with vpns and a sense of humor

Who’s hosting endpoints in North Korea?

Why would they violate sanctions for no reason?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tree Goat posted:

it would be pretty funny if the company staffed entirely by language learning people didn’t bother to localize their app

IDK, I've heard people complaining about the fact that the courses are in English :shrug:

Never used it myself, I don't want to learn Swedish.

E: I installed to see if it's localised. It's not, all English.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Dec 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

You don't need to consciously learn English.

American cultural hegemony is monolithic enough that you just automatically pick it up by existing. I've known toddlers that learned to count and name the colours in English before their native tongue.