Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I think I probably care more about the opinions people itt have about the Rogue Trader game than goons in general because we all have the same prion disease, so I'm excited to hear what people think a week in or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

https://twitter.com/CGTester/status/1732798161113002060?s=19

Tester got himself a gig for the Rogue Trader game.

good for him he's really good

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Once I discovered that he's the Lokhir Fellheart voice in Warhammer Total War I was sold on the guy.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Def getting that game after I play though this most recent POE league.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://twitter.com/RichardReedVO/status/1732872089982419332

Another thread favourite also features in the game.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
poo poo, I didn't realize this game went live. I'm dumb. Thought we were a few months away.

Guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.twitch.tv/warhammer

The Black Library preview is live now, going by the pre-show trivia we can almost expect an Ork book, a book about Azrael and a new Cado Ezechiar book.

Edit:
One prediction right, we're getting a new Mike Brooks book, Big Dakka, featuring Orks versus Dark Eldar. A sequel to Brutal Kunnin.
Ufthak also gets his own tabletop model as well.

Then we're also getting a book about Morvenn Vahl, Spear of Faith, going up against the Night Lords.

There's also a 30k art book.

On the AoS side we have a new Guy Haley book featuring Drekki Flynt, The Ghosts of Barak-Minoz.

Then a Dark Angels novel, Lazarus Emnity's Edge not about Azrael though, by Gary Closter.
And a Renegades: Lords of Excess, an Emperor's Children book.

John French has written another book about Ahriman. Ahriman Undying. It's very timey-wimey and sees him deal with both Necron and Harlequins.

Then The Infinite and the Divine is getting a CE reprint.

On the 30k side we're getting Eidolon: The Auric Hammer by Marc Collins.

Speaking of reprints, there will also be one for the Hollow King.

But(!), there will also be a new Cado Ezechar book, Dead Kingdom by John French. Two predictions down at least.

And that's it.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Dec 9, 2023

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

It's nice that the Emp's Children are getting a bit of focus.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/12/09/the-black-library-preview-online-2023/

The hub page has finally been updated with all the relevant info, and pictures for that part.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Calax posted:

It's nice that the Emp's Children are getting a bit of focus.

Hope this is hints that they're getting new minis soon.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Hell yes, more Mike Brook's orks, inject them directly into my brain, yes-yes!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Tradition dictates that Emperor's Children will get their codex three months before the end of the current edition, it is known.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Orks vs Dark Elder is such a funny pairing

The most violent himbos of all time vs an entire society of Dick Dastardlys

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

My guess based on the way they push some stuff out the door is that they're prepping for Fulgrim to be the next returning Chaos primarch at the end of this edition/start of next.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Just finished Sea of Souls. I'm very depressed but daaaamn.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

sharknado slashfic posted:

Just finished Sea of Souls. I'm very depressed but daaaamn.

I loved it. Everybody should read this and it doesn't matter at all if you haven't read any of the previous Dawn of Fire books. But yeah, what a gut punch of a book lol

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

D-Pad posted:

I loved it. Everybody should read this and it doesn't matter at all if you haven't read any of the previous Dawn of Fire books. But yeah, what a gut punch of a book lol

Yeah that might have gone into my top ten hams novels. Grudgingly.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I guess I no longer have justification for griping about a grievous lack of Navy books.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
If it's really that depressing I may skip it, I have enough depression as is :smithfrog:

Orks versus Dark Eldar written by Mike Brooks though? :getin:

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
If DE nourish themselves on the suffering of other creatures, fighting orks must really feel like a wasteful chore

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Orks can feel pain, they just don't really care so long as they're in a good fight at the same time. Dunno if that works for the Dark Eldar's needs.

e: Capture Orks and lock them up and never let them fight. Feed off their growing ennui and sadness.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Apparently the Wyches in Commoragh use Orks in the fighting pits a lot so even though the Orks aren't really bothered by the pain the DE still seem to get something out of it. Then again perhaps the DE have found a way to MAKE the Orks feel bothered by the pain, certainly wouldn't put it past them.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

sharknado slashfic posted:

Yeah that might have gone into my top ten hams novels. Grudgingly.

What's so good about Sea of Souls then? The Black Library page for it basically says it's about imperials on a ship, which doesn't really tell me anyhting. No spoilers please.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/12/10/sunday-preview-kill-team-salvation-stalks-into-view/?utm_content=sundaypreview10/12/23

Do you want some books? Of course ya do!

After yesterday's bewy of upcoming release GW is mostly playing catch up until next year.

First we have the paperback release of The Lion: Son of the Forest.

Then Pilgrims of Fire is also getting a paperback release.

Both books going up for pre-order on December 23rd.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Another sisters book? Fine, GW, I'll get it

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Fabulous Bile omnibus :vince:

"It is my considered opinion that you should always blame yourself, Oleander. Even if it wasn't your fault. Perhaps especially if it wasn't your fault. You could do with some perspective." :sbahj:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Fabius Bile should have been Emperor.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

MariusLecter posted:

Fabius Bile should have been Emperor.

It's not even Bile who says that. It's a World Eater :kratos:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Just finished Sea of Souls, pretty drat good. Extremely warham, and even though I called the twist pretty early on, it was a hell of a ride. Between Dark City and this, Wraight knows how to write a Bad End, that's for drat sure :stare:

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I think Rogue Trader might be good. It's already inspired several pages of debate about the philosophy of governance, rule and ethics in the 41st millennium, which makes me think it might work for this thread.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Black Griffon posted:

I think Rogue Trader might be good. It's already inspired several pages of debate about the philosophy of governance, rule and ethics in the 41st millennium, which makes me think it might work for this thread.

I watched a couple of YT previews and they looked quite nice, if a bit numbers-heavy in a janky '90s/'00s tabletop sort of way. Also the companions seemed to be the most default archetypes of their respective factions imaginable, but that's unavoidable since it's the first 40k CRPG ever and there's already a shitload of lore for non-40k-nerds. It's probably going to be my next video game after I'm done with Cyberpunk.

The alignment system seems brilliant - three axes: Dogmatic, Iconoclast, Heretic. So you have both the Mass Effect Renegade antihero, which pretty much only a RT or Inquisitor can be in the Imperium, and the classic moustache-twirling villain.

One lore related thing that bothered me: in one of the videos, I saw a group of Dark Eldars yelling about the Blood God which made me squint a little. Do you know if the game acknowledges them as an aberration or otherwise justifies that in some way? I'm hoping they're supposed to be possessed or something, 'cause it would be literally a CS Goto tier blunder otherwise.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Dec 11, 2023

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

NihilCredo posted:

I watched a couple of YT previews and they looked quite nice, if a bit numbers-heavy in a janky '90s/'00s tabletop sort of way. Also the companions seemed to be the most default archetypes of their respective factions imaginable, but that's unavoidable since it's the first 40k CRPG ever and there's already a shitload of lore for non-40k-nerds. It's probably going to be my next video game after I'm done with Cyberpunk.

One lore related thing that bothered me: in one of the videos, I saw a group of Dark Eldars yelling about the Blood God which made me squint a little. Do you know if the game acknowledges them as an aberration or otherwise justifies that in some way? I'm hoping they're supposed to be possessed or something, 'cause it would be literally a CS Goto tier blunder otherwise.

Don't some DE still worship Khaine? Who is sort of a Blood God right? There's something there about Khaine and Khorne being similar entities if not aspects of each other in some way.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

NihilCredo posted:

It 100% does. There’s an Ordo Xenos Interrogator in the party and the relationship between Aeldarii/Drukhari and Chaos is explicitly discussed.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Black Griffon posted:

I'm doing my first blind playthrough and it's pretty decent, although there's some dialogue and plot choices that are pretty cliche, but still good though.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
About my only complaint so far is that some of the introductory dialogue explanations of the universe are so basic that it is just tedious for me to go through but that's completely a personal thing.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

NihilCredo posted:

The alignment system seems brilliant - three axes: Dogmatic, Iconoclast, Heretic. So you have both the Mass Effect Renegade antihero, which pretty much only a RT or Inquisitor can be in the Imperium, and the classic moustache-twirling villain.

The bloody God Khaine, not khorne. All eldar call upon them in battle pretty much, including the dark eldar. Usually more his aspects that stress his role as God of murder instead of the craftworlds God of war.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Turns out, they may in fact be aspects of the same thing!

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Shockeh posted:

Turns out, they may in fact be aspects of the same thing!

Has anything played with that in a major way? I always thought it was just their names were similar since its a holdover from fantasy. Since the eldar mythology predates the war in heaven that led to the chaos gods becoming conscious entities.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I've been really enjoying it so far. Once I tweaked the difficulty a bit so that it doesn't get in the way as much, and lets the story flow, it's been good. You really get a good sampling of what the universe consists of, and lots of bickering inbetween. The skill trees are kind of absurdly huge and I just kinda gaze off into the warp trying to choose something, but for the most part you get to kick rear end, and if someone cheers a little too loud, you can kill them for it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Another sisters book? Fine, GW, I'll get it

I want to like sister books because i love the faction but they are often various mixes of one note. Id love to have rath or abbnett or ADB or etc take a crack at them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Sharkopath posted:

Has anything played with that in a major way? I always thought it was just their names were similar since its a holdover from fantasy. Since the eldar mythology predates the war in heaven that led to the chaos gods becoming conscious entities.

There's a number of times it's been on-again, off-again cited. One of the earlier Khaine depictions was that regardless of the Chaos Gods becoming conscious (and that's a debate in itself) was that the concept of a God of x always exists, because the emotions exist. Khorne is just a coalesced vision of that, as is Khaine. They're separate things, but they're branches of the same tree. But no, nothing in a major way, really, but that's almost to it's benefit - I'd rather they leave the Warp unknowable.