Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Nessus posted:

An excellent call, it was rollicking good fun and reminded me how much I love the navigators as a plot element. Who do I talk to on my ship to heal up people's lingering injuries? Or to get things like medkits and grenades for that matter. I assume they can give me some of that poo poo, considering the Vox minion told me about how many tablecloths I have.

Medkits have been annoyingly rare so far, though if I recall correctly a number drop on Rykad Minoris. The pirate faction also has 9 for sale if you get them up to reputation rank 1 (and I think they're low enough PF to pick up with your starting amount). Injuries though is easy - they're just auto healed as soon as you reboard your ship. No need to do anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Cythereal posted:

I started looking into this game a bit, and one thing I discovered that the thread hasn't talked about yet is that when the game materials call the Eldar ranger a platonic love interest, that... may depend on your definition of 'platonic.'

Especially in the context of a female PC, methinks the Eldar doth protest too much.

Someone finished it, and yeah. Platonic was 100% a mistranslation.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

sebmojo posted:

They are all solid points imo

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I also had trouble with Argenta's bolter being kind of weak, even with moving around for good angles, so I just gave her a flamethrower as a secondary gun and it was good.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

sebmojo posted:

They are all solid points imo

They're not wrong, but most are also just part of the genre conventions at this point. There is basically nothing this game does that isn't an improvement over the similar games that came before. This is a far more polished UI both visually and its usability than their other two games.

People bemoan that games don't improve on these formulas, but figuring out improved alternatives is a development headache which is tough to work into the tight schedule on these kinds of mid budget games. Spending hundreds of hours designing and testing and implementing different potentially more intuitive UI is rough especially when the end result may actually end up worse than where you started. Or get you lots of flack from the diehards games like this count on to be game ambassadors (whether streamers or not).

Easier to keep things going just iterating on exactly what you've done before that has been battle tested in older games even if they are ornery suboptimal solutions.

edit: the only step backwards I think they took in WoTR that continues here is actually letting you rotate the view. People complained about not being able to rotate a 3D game world, but it forced the designers on Kingmaker to make everything understandable and navigable from a single angle. It saved them I'm sure tons of headache designing locations and simplified performance tuning. Plus, without rotating they wouldn't have made the terrible act 4 rotate city poo poo.

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Dec 11, 2023

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Yeah like, I think the user experience is like, way better than BG3 when it comes to QoL stuff. Character builds stuff is a taste thing tho.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It so refreshing coming from BG3 to have a highlight all button again, and an inventory system that wasn't designed for a 90s Ultima game.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Clarste posted:

I also had trouble with Argenta's bolter being kind of weak, even with moving around for good angles, so I just gave her a flamethrower as a secondary gun and it was good.

I should try giving her the flamer back, now that you mention it - early on she felt too squishy to get too near enemies but now that she's got insane dodge and serious medium armor she might be able to withstand a few knives waved in her general direction. She's very good with a sniper rifle though. Rapid shot into run and gun into careful shot (to nix the accuracy debuff) does the Emperor's work in the early game.

Then again, I now have a Heavy Bolter in my inventory with her future name on it. Just gotta work on her triceps a little.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
"Muy Mal"durrrrrrr's "Not so Great" Pee.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Clarste posted:

Once you get her to where she crits nearly half the time it starts making a big difference.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

Snooze Cruise posted:

Ran into my first game breaking bug, came out of the area where you beat auroa and my rogue trader spawn off map while everyone else could move around freely, and I couldn't leave anywhere because she couldn't group with the rest of the party. Oh well I can just go through that fight again later~

I had it happen too (but I used toybox to teleport my group to a safe spot).

and you're referring to that enemy part 1 and not the part 2 fight that happens the OTHER Aurora, that just happened to be a CHAOS SPACE MARINE with 300+ wounds, right?

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
Most people probably miss out a few things with Argenta, her bolter and Soldier in general:

1) Burst percentages are kinda pointless. You fire on a group and even your missed shots will hit something. And you will hit people behind others with a bolter too.
2) Revel in Slaughter is AMAZING. Boosts crit damage, chance and ballistics This is why you raise Agility, why you send Argenta to kill mooks and why pick the ability to trigger after two kills. Removing winded is the cherry on top. Even without others buffing her (and an officer with Voice of Command and Focus will cause her stats to skyrocket), this is how she hypes herself up to kill bosses too.
3) Rapid fire may seem kinda bad initially. It is not, because of 1 and because a talent exists to get rid of the penalty. Pretend mooks are bushes and you start the lawnmower.
4) Soldier heroic hour is amazing, same as Warriors

And all this before she becomes Arch Militant and gets stacks simply alternating her burst and single shots.
And as somebody mentioned, abuse Run and gun for position and shooting even more.
As for survivability, she does pretty well on hard with Nimble and Second skin picks. You raise Her Agility and Ballistics when possible, so dodge will be really high.

JamMasterJim fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Dec 11, 2023

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

SirFozzie posted:

I had it happen too (but I used toybox to teleport my group to a safe spot).

and you're referring to that enemy part 1 and not the part 2 fight that happens the OTHER Aurora, that just happened to be a CHAOS SPACE MARINE with 300+ wounds, right?

Yeah that is the one! I guess maybe I should pick up toybox for stuff like this too.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

FuzzySlippers posted:

I have a feeling this game will attract lots of players from the WH40k setting that will be utterly baffled by how it’s a mega crunchy crpg. It’s steeped in bs we’re just used to from decades of it.

Not only is 5e just less crunchy, but BG3 does a dramatically better job on ramping people. Though in fairness its budget was several magnitudes higher and Larian has been at it a lot longer.

Still, any year where BG3 wasn’t released this would probably be my GOTY and it’s a great game. Bring on the crunchy absurdities.

Mega crunchiness is on Owlcat this time.
The tabletop Rogue Trader is way simpler system with less math-problems and less loot treadmill and simpler abilities.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

That's the Owlcat thing.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I fee like the game math is complicated enough to be practically impossible to play on tabletop.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
This prison is rapidly jumping back and forth to funniest area in the game so far and oh god oh no

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Jack Trades posted:

That's the Owlcat thing.

At least on pathfinder games, you could blame the original RPG system too.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

On the note of math-y abilities, here's one pet peeve of mine - inconsistent display of calculations.

On level up it shows the formula. Then after you get it on the features tab and when hovering it during battle it shows you only the result of the calculation. On the features tab if you have a talent that impacts an ability then it lists the abilities it impacts.

How I'd like it to work is hovering over abilities in every screen should show the calculation, its result and any enhancements from relevant talents. That way you could get reminded of which buffs are relevant to the character and what extra things their abilities will do from talents by hovering over the ability in battle.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Yeah I'm here for the crunchy bullshit. Drown me in your perk lists.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Most of the chargen stuff confused me so I just put everything into Shouting At People. I don't need to do anything if I have people to do that sort of stuff for me.

SonOfGhostDad
Nov 16, 2022
Now I'm at the warp lens fight in the spaceport. I destroyed the thing during the storybook segment, but the game spawns a chaos spawn every turn, anyway, even after the cultist leader was dead. I quit to desktop after there were six on the field, plus the cultist mob. This has to be a bug, right?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

is there a way to go straight to bridge of your ship, or does one have to run there, like a peasant

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Anyone tried to do a melee operative? How'd you build it / how did it go?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Anyone tried to do a melee operative? How'd you build it / how did it go?

Pasqal is kind of a melee operative by default, and I mostly just ignored operative skills and hit things with a big axe.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I wanted to respec right after finishing the tutorial and it was free for every character except argenta, is this a bug? Beyond that, who the gently caress thought making it cost profit factor to respec was a good idea?

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Carcer posted:

I wanted to respec right after finishing the tutorial and it was free for every character except argenta, is this a bug? Beyond that, who the gently caress thought making it cost profit factor to respec was a good idea?

You get 3 or 4 free respecs.
If it works like old owlcat games, you could go to AppData owlcat folder, open player.json and edit the respec counter to get more.
Or Toybox may have it for free, haven't installed it yet

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I used the 3 respecs on everyone else, since I assumed they wouldn't be stupid and limit your ability to respec right after the tutorial.

I love the rest of this game but this is extremely owlcat and it makes me a little concerned what other core QoL features they've limited.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

That's why you always play Owlcat games with the ToyBox mod so you can cheat your way through their bullshit.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

The Inquisitor companion hates my Dogmatic MC so much. I’m not going to stop destroying the Chaos artefacts before he can look at them though. Ignorance is strength.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

JamMasterJim posted:

You get 3 or 4 free respecs.
If it works like old owlcat games, you could go to AppData owlcat folder, open player.json and edit the respec counter to get more.
Or Toybox may have it for free, haven't installed it yet

Had a look in the files I could find but didn't spot anything obvious to edit. I'll check on toybox though!

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

CottonWolf posted:

The Inquisitor companion hates my Dogmatic MC so much. I’m not going to stop destroying the Chaos artefacts before he can look at them though. Ignorance is strength.
He just wants to uphold the proud Inquisitorial tradition of getting yourself turbomurdered by the very artefact you are supposed to contain or destroy. Stop trying to downplay his culture, man!

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

That's why you always play Owlcat games with the ToyBox mod so you can cheat your way through their bullshit.

It looks like it need extra steps beyond just subscribing to the mod and I do not have the mental bandwidth to handle that right now.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rookersh posted:

Someone finished it, and yeah. Platonic was 100% a mistranslation.

I read someone posting their walkthrough of the whole Eldar romance, and if what they posted is accurate... it really does parse shockingly well for 'closeted LGBT person starts having Thoughts and Feelings about someone of the same sex for the first time, which makes them deeply uncomfortable, but with patience and support she learns to accept her feelings and show them in public.'

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Terrible Opinions posted:

It so refreshing coming from BG3 to have a highlight all button again, and an inventory system that wasn't designed for a 90s Ultima game.

They should invent a way to make it toggle instead of hold

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

UP AND ADAM posted:

They should invent a way to make it toggle instead of hold

It's a toggle if you use controller. Mine is broken though so I wasn't able to use it for long enough to see how good this game is with controller.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
On normal it has been genuinely funny to me that the most dangerous things to you in every fight is uncontrolled npc allies.

Most of the bugs I've hit have been combat ones; camera locking to an NPC, perma slow mo, unable to setup in the start of fights when not an ambush, etc. a quick save and reload fixes these but they can be very annoying.

the fight in the voidship that had the wound buffers wasn't really too long, i outdamaged the loudspeakers capacity to buff and i have to frontliners that took no damage at all from the majority of stuff

Sloober fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Dec 11, 2023

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I like the complete change your dude has once he's a rogue trader.

Ah yes I'm a void born crime lord who came up from the streets........ What's that I'm a rogue trader? Bow before my nobility peasants!

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Aramoro posted:

I like the complete change your dude has once he's a rogue trader.

Ah yes I'm a void born crime lord who came up from the streets........ What's that I'm a rogue trader? Bow before my nobility peasants!
To be fair, with that background you just changed your title and got hold of a ship, the rest is basically the same :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Sloober posted:

On normal it has been genuinely funny to me that the most dangerous things to you in every fight is uncontrolled npc allies.

Most of the bugs I've hit have been combat ones; camera locking to an NPC, perma slow mo, unable to setup in the start of fights when not an ambush, etc. a quick save and reload fixes these but they can be very annoying

I think about a 3rd of my fights in the first act had some enemy gunner gleefully gun down at least 1 to 3 of his own guys in the opening round so turn about I suppose is fair play.