Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I liked it well enough but it's definitely a movie I could only see working in theaters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I watched Fargo season 4 today, it was actually good!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I liked it well enough but it's definitely a movie I could only see working in theaters.

Looked pretty good on my big OLED

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

re murder at the end the of the world the killer is obviously the smart house ai :smugdog:

lol this episode "there's a lot of black ice" *drives even faster*

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 4, 2023

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I watched Fargo season 4 today, it was actually good!

It's my least favorite of the first four seasons but it's definitely still good. I'm my mind it's 1 > 3 > 2 > 4 (and 5 so far is making a strong case for ending up in one of those first two spots)

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

A MIRACLE posted:

re murder at the end the of the world the killer is obviously the smart house ai :smugdog:

lol this episode "there's a lot of black ice" *drives even faster*

I want to like this show, but the main characters are sooo loving stupid it's really tough. Doubly so because the show is constantly tell us what absolute world class geniuses they all are.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Acinonyx posted:

I want to like this show, but the main characters are sooo loving stupid it's really tough. Doubly so because the show is constantly tell us what absolute world class geniuses they all are.
To be fair it's mostly the other alleged world class geniuses telling us that they're geniuses so maybe it's realistic in that respect

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Acinonyx posted:

Tonight's episode made me grab my head and say "what in the gently caress are you doing" at the end.

Hmmm, there's a murderer on the loose and I get a mysterious message to meet alone at the pool. Hey, no better time than to take a swim....

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

Medullah posted:

Tonight's episode made me grab my head and say "what in the gently caress are you doing" at the end.

Hmmm, there's a murderer on the loose and I get a mysterious message to meet alone at the pool. Hey, no better time than to take a swim....

I had given up on it, but after this post I watched the current episode. You are really underselling how stupid it was. A wild double feature with the current season of Fargo, which is great.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Leave the World Behind is fantastic

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Heh

Spoilers for the squid game spin off reality show thing, they did not pay the winner

https://twitter.com/PopCrave/status/1733193448545468924?t=wCGGcOyD8j-k4dl_3krhhg&s=19

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Dec 9, 2023

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Spoilers

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

blue squares posted:

Leave the World Behind is fantastic

About halfway into it and I can confirm.

mystes
May 31, 2006

netflix staying classy

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
It's cool that they seem to have the same relationship with the hero of their TV show that I had when I'd like stole my brother's bottle of Southern Comfort

"No It's cool i can pay you back next week, it's totally fine man you know I'm good for it"

Ten years later it's not really forgotten or forgiven because I spent that owed promised money on myself, in perpetuity

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Did The Good Place on Netflix recycle some of the jokes from early in the show to the fourth season or am I just forgetting I watched it at some point already? It's fine either way, really.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Inspector Hound posted:

Did The Good Place on Netflix recycle some of the jokes from early in the show to the fourth season or am I just forgetting I watched it at some point already? It's fine either way, really.

Isn't that just, like, a callback

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Wolfsheim posted:

Isn't that just, like, a callback

I can't quite describe it, the way it was served up just felt more like recycling it than a callback, it's what makes me think I might just be remembering it from ages ago. I like the show though, it's actually managed to pull off some of the format changes it's put itself through. I can't decide if it's science fiction, fantasy, or just a sitcom.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
It’s very funny that Obama is an executive producer of Leave the World Behind.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I thought leave the world behind had interesting bits but was also a mess. Quite odd.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Jippa posted:

I thought leave the world behind had interesting bits but was also a mess. Quite odd.
Just like Obama!

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Inspector Hound posted:

I can't quite describe it, the way it was served up just felt more like recycling it than a callback, it's what makes me think I might just be remembering it from ages ago. I like the show though, it's actually managed to pull off some of the format changes it's put itself through. I can't decide if it's science fiction, fantasy, or just a sitcom.

The first season ends with what seems like a reset, and I was worried they were going to spend too many episodes getting back to the point where they could advance the plot.

And then the first episode of season 2 they not only get to that point, but go wayyy beyond it and it’s practically a new show. It’s not perfect but it’s really self assured and actually follows through to the end. Seems like a real labor of love.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
the good place is a great show that i like to rewatch every now and again and cry about

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Leave the World Behind is an aggressively stupid movie

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Leave the World Behind is an aggressively stupid movie

Someone would need a crazy wall with string and post it notes, and show me how you link a good movie with this waste of money.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It was good, actually. I'm pretty interested in hearing how it's stupid though.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

SCheeseman posted:

It was good, actually. I'm pretty interested in hearing how it's stupid though.

Well for starters it's like watching community theater, for the first hour.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The acting is bad? The characters resonated pretty hard for me, the personalities and quirks of the mother and father were heightened, but spookily familiar.

Doesn't come across as stupid, perhaps the characters made poor choices but so do a lot of damaged, cynical people.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
It really fell apart in the third act like they just started throwing all sorts of poo poo at the wall to see what would stick. When all the deer showed up and they were like "THE ANIMALS KNOW" it became too loving ridiculous.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
Dude i got nothing. I went in to this movie cold as ice, no clue about who was in it or who made it. I was loving tempted to stop it and finish Bird Box Barcelona.

I haven't been annoyed by a movie this much in a long time. I think everyone in that movie was doing it to pay off a poker debt.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I've read the synopsis elsewhere and it sounds like a really funny mess.

E: Arab armies invade the US by controlling AI and crashing planes and the heroes lose their teeth because of the Havana Syndrome being real, and it ends with someone watching Friends in a bunker.

Never gonna see it but it'd be amusing if the actual movie is even a 1/10 as wacky as the above.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Dec 11, 2023

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I was texting my friends for the first hour telling them how good this moving was turning out to be and how it’s a little long but the acting more than made up for it

I texted those same friends when the deer showed up comparing this to the Happening.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Shageletic posted:

I've read the synopsis elsewhere and it sounds like a really funny mess.

E: Arab armies invade the US by controlling AI and crashing planes and the heroes lose their teeth because of the Havana Syndrome being real, and it ends with someone watching Friends in a bunker.

Whoever wrote that synopsis was wrong there are no armies, there are threatening flyers in arabic that are dropped but it's just misdirection to cause confusion, the story isn't about invasion but society destroying itself out of fear of being invaded, spurred by forced isolation and disruption of societal and technological systems by someone or some thing that doesn't really matter to the story.

TheMopeSquad posted:

It really fell apart in the third act like they just started throwing all sorts of poo poo at the wall to see what would stick. When all the deer showed up and they were like "THE ANIMALS KNOW" it became too loving ridiculous.

The deer were there because there was a bunch of poo poo happening external to everyone in that house was ignorant of due to their isolation. It wasn't magical realism, they aren't implied to know anything, the animals were just freaked out and in their tendency to flock instead of fracture under pressure they served as a counterpoint.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Dec 11, 2023

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Also if you watch The Happening as a comedy it's pretty good. The comic timing is so spot on that the idea that it's unintentionally funny, like The Room or something where the all the choices are wrong, doesn't make much sense. I'm pretty sure Shyamalan knew what he was making, I seem to recall an interview where he says as much. Not that it's a masterpiece but it was probably misunderstood, which is still a failing since clearly the movie doesn't convey that it's deadpan comedy well enough.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

SCheeseman posted:

Whoever wrote that synopsis was wrong there are no armies, there are threatening flyers in arabic that are dropped but it's just misdirection to cause confusion, the story isn't about invasion but society destroying itself out of fear of being invaded, spurred by forced isolation and disruption of societal and technological systems by someone or some thing that doesn't really matter to the story.

I'm not having it, the whole micro version of society be played out by 5 rich people who are seemingly unaware of the poo poo storm 10 miles from Brooklyn. The Deer, whoever thought the deer would sell it was wrong. The movie had no idea how to say what it wanted to say so much, that they crammed the whole third act into 15 mins..

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Stegosnaurlax posted:

I'm not having it, the whole micro version of society be played out by 5 rich people who are seemingly unaware of the poo poo storm 10 miles from Brooklyn. The Deer, whoever thought the deer would sell it was wrong. The movie had no idea how to say what it wanted to say so much, that they crammed the whole third act into 15 mins..

What do you mean micro version of society? It's not meant to be representative, but about these cynical people pushing past the walls they've put up around themselves. How would they know the world is falling apart? Communications are dead, the roads are clogged, no one can get anywhere. The movie methodically goes over all of that, it's criticism like this that makes me wonder if you watched this while glancing up from your phone.

What the girl says or feels about the deer is projection from a young girl whose perception of social systems and nature are poisoned by television. The whole Friends thread was underlining this, I guess you took it too literally.

The movie opens with the main character saying they hate people. It's about how that cynicism is self destructive, on a societal scale. There is an overriding arc that shows the lovely rich rear end in a top hat characters pushing past their prejudice under pressure, building trust and dropping hatred for empathy. There's no person on person violence in the movie, it's largely external and only when they've fully dropped those walls do they see the external world crumbling and feel true sorrow for the world that they once hated being lost.

The movie I watched was well acted, narratively coherent, beautifully shot. What are the standards for movies these days? What the hell are you guys watching?

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Dec 11, 2023

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Twisting myself in knots trying to convince people that I shat my pants intentionally because it's actually really clever if you think about it.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Buttchocks posted:

Twisting myself in knots trying to convince people that I shat my pants intentionally because it's actually really clever if you think about it.

Sometimes pants making GBS threads makes for a good joke, all depends on how you frame it.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

SCheeseman posted:

What do you mean micro version of society? It's not meant to be representative, but about these cynical people pushing past the walls they've put up around themselves. How would they know the world is falling apart? Communications are dead, the roads are clogged, no one can get anywhere. The movie methodically goes over all of that, it's criticism like this that makes me wonder if you watched this while glancing up from your phone.

What the girl says or feels about the deer is projection from a young girl whose perception of social systems and nature are poisoned by television. The whole Friends thread was underlining this, I guess you took it too literally.

The movie opens with the main character saying they hate people. It's about how that cynicism is self destructive, on a societal scale. There is an overriding arc that shows the lovely rich rear end in a top hat characters pushing past their prejudice under pressure, building trust and dropping hatred for empathy. There's no person on person violence in the movie, it's largely external and only when they've fully dropped those walls do they see the external world crumbling and feel true sorrow for the world that they once hated being lost.

The movie I watched was well acted, narratively coherent, beautifully shot. What are the standards for movies these days? What the hell are you guys watching?

No, just no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Stegosnaurlax posted:

No, just no.

:hmmyes: